c.mork

Nov 3, 2022
Hi guys I need some help from someone who is familiar with the linux system/renpy coding.

I just got myself a steam deck. I can run all renpy's VNs no problem by executing the .sh , except withBaD S3, which after double-clicking, only open the file as a txt file for me. I tried to check the "Run as executable" option in the properties, but it did nothing, no error message, no log file generated.

I mean I could get it to run with wine/steam launcher as non-steam game, bbuuuuttt then I could not get access to the S2 end saves (which ae steam version btw), which means no Halloween Dik party for me D:.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.
I have no clue about either linux or steam deck, you might get more help here.

Reactions: crunchycake

Macahan

Sep 29, 2017
The game unfortunately doesn't work. There's no option to start a new game. I have an option to "continue," and select any number of "empty slots" but nothing happens. I don't get it - it should be easy to just start a new game, but apparently not. Looks good graphicswise, wish I could play it.
:confused::confused::confused:o_Oo_Oo_O

Dec 21, 2021
Does anybody know what sticking up for Chad does to later dialogue? I think it affects the HOT party dialogue where Chad tells the Alpha that Fuckface is cool, but I swear I see the same dialogue no matter what path I'm on.

PereFourreAss

Sep 30, 2020
I don’t think that’s fear.
View attachment 3114340
She looks at him with a face:
God! How stuffy are you! Don’t you ever shut up?
Are you 90? Damn it, Vinnie, take your pills!
I think that’s the kind of monologue she has in her head when she’s talking to Vinnie.
She still looks relieved when Lily helps her get rid of him and tells Fuckface to be careful

DPC has to make him a serious villain because nobody sees Tybalt or Dawe as a threat

Reactions: aykarin

ZenoMod

Nov 12, 2022
I think he meant it's sort of a catch-22 in regards to DPC and the player. Not just the player.

For freeroams:
- DPC can just reuse a lot of the code and doesn't have to write entirely separate scenes in separate locations for each branch. On the development side: it covers all the many branches and it can be done quicker.
[...]

For just normal playthrough:
- DPC may have to make new renders for the characters, new objects, the location, etc. Also write more extensive dialogue, soundtrack arrangement, and so on. This results in a possibility of it taking more time for the development overall. Both for the writing aspects and for posing then rendering images. Which could mean updates come out even later than once a year.
I think there's a misunderstanding.

Not having freeroaming does not necessarily imply using different locations for different branches.

DPC could have had Episode 9 in the same exact location, with the same exact rendering and the same exact dialogues that could have been reused among multiple branches, but just sparing us the useless effort to do forced clicks here and there like trained monkeys.

I mean, at the first part of free roaming of Episode 9 your tasks are
- find your sword
- talk to Jamie
- talk to Sally
- talk to Rusty
Plus the optional tasks
- Talk to Zoey
- Talk to Derek
- Talk to the Girls

To carry out these tasks you have to explore the mansion in order to find things and people.

This exploring could provide a little ( 5% - 10% max ) more fun than normal playthrough on the first run, but it's just a trained monkey chore when replaying to explore different branches.

Besides, it's just an illusion of freedom of exploration, because those tasks MUST be completed in order the game to progress, and the order in which you chose to perform them is irrilevant.

So it would be much better if the exact same rendering and dialogues with their choice menu were presented to the player in a fixed order in normal playthrough rather than forcing the user to click here and there to activate them.

Then the already seen contents would be completely skippable with Fast Forward.

Instead, between one FF and the other, we are forced to click here and there like trained monkeys. Possibly with the "darkness effect" like in the "haunted mansion" which makes sense ONLY THE FIRST TIME.

Giving up freeroaming, DPC would have had less coding effort, since freeroaming is just more complicated than a plain sequential playthrough branching only after menus... which is the basic way to use Ren'Py.

Freeroaming:
- for the Dev is more complicated to code
- for the Player might slightly improve the first run experience while significantly worsening all the subsequent replays.

---

Since we have 5 major branches and the vast majority of players would like to see them all (but without each time re-solving already solved puzzles...) a better user experience would be achieved if (alternatively):

1) a variable is memorized in "persistent" so that once the player has "found the sword" or "found the keg tap" or "found character X" he is not expected to redo these chores over and over in the next gameplays and he is directly jumped to the SKIPPABLE diaolgues

- OR, if option 1) is too technically complicated -

2) freeroaming is just dropped at once! In this way coding is simpler, and user experience is golobally better for the vast majority of us that would like to play all the 5 branches but give up because of the forced clicks to redo already done chores over and over...

Oct 22, 2023
I thought you liked Jill, but she's last on your list. :unsure:
Still like her but not that much y'know. I was replaying her path last month to refresh my memory and then I realized she wasn't as perfect as I thought. I think there will be many conflicts between Tremolo and Jill in the future. But anyways...how about you? Sage's path will be your first one as well? :p

Reactions: JosephH151

ZenoMod

Nov 12, 2022
Yeah, because everyone on this forum loves to do their job for free. I don't know about you but I always like to have my work unpaid. :rolleyes:
And, tell me, when your customers or boss ask you "when will you deliver your work?" they just plainly accept that you answer "When it's ready. Period. Now shut up and pay me 20$ per month for an undefinite number of months and you will have the job done when I am satisfied with it" ?

Because this is the basic attitude of developers on Patreon and similar platforms.

I don't know you, but I don't have this privilege.

We propose a cost and a delivery date to our customers. If they are satisfied with the cost an the time needed to do it, they make an order.
If the job is done by the due date, they pay the full amount. If the delivery is delayed they have a discount for every week of delay. If I don't reach my goals on time I may get a warning and then get fired for underperformance. And I think that's fair.

So, very sorry, but I'm not gonna pay the developer the more money the more slow he is. That's not fair.

Last edited:

KaiserST

Apr 5, 2017
And, tell me, when your customers or boss ask you "when will you deliver your work?" they just plainly accept that you answer "When it's ready. Period. Now shut up and pay me 20$ per months for an undefinite number of months and you will have the job done when I am satisfied with it" ?

Because this is the basic attitude of developers on Patreon and similar platforms.

We propose a cost and a delivery date to our customers. If they are satisfied with the cost an the time needed to do it, they make an order.
If the job is done by the due date, they pay the full amount. If the delivery is delayed they have a discount for every week of delay. If I don't reach my goals on time I may get a warning and then get fired for underperformance. And I think that's fair.

So, very sorry, but I'm not gonna pay the developer the more money the more slow he is. That's not fair.
Good thing that nothing is forcing you to pay anything to play the game

You're in a pirate forum after all, no need to defend yourself.

However, do remember that this is a solo developer who wouldn't be making this game without his suporters.

There are plently of people who abuse their Patreons, I dont think DPC is among them, is he a control freak and unable to receive feedback? Sure, but as long as he delivers a good game people will pay up.

I hope so at least, no other game matches this one in my opinion.

RK - Milf

Apr 30, 2023
So Riona hanging with the MGs this time? I'm glad Quinn decided to share the position of representing the "Others" branch with her. :LUL:

Jokes aside it's cool and everything that Riona is up there with the MGs. I know most of us share the desire for Riona and Quinn to become MGs. :BootyTime:

Finally the wait is almost over. We will be there no matter what.

Btw, this is my Ep.10 playthrough order:

View attachment 3114420
Glad you posted this, but my gals to be fucked is not here. Heather and Bianca

PereFourreAss

Sep 30, 2020
And, tell me, when your customers or boss ask you "when will you deliver your work?" they just plainly accept that you answer "When it's ready. Period. Now shut up and pay me 20$ per months for an undefinite number of months and you will have the job done when I am satisfied with it" ?

To be fair, he chose this job to avoid having to answer to a boss. If I remember well during Acting Lessons he had a wage job on the side, must have been exhausting so I don't blame him for taking the opportunity to do this full time

The update are slower to come out but there's more and more content (whether it's good content is another debate) many devs here get too comfortable and make slower updates with as much content if not less than they used to, DPC is not one of them.

The only thing I blame him for is his inflated ego like KaiserST said

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
First of all, I'm not ruling out the possibility that Zoey or Josy may have had sex with another guy in front of the MC. In the case of Zoey, I don't even rule out the fact that she fucked another guy next to the MC when she wasn't in San Diego yet.

The problem with Josy is that there is evidence for and against. That's why I think it's so that the MC has a heart attack, like Josy suggested in EP9. Just because Josy said it to the MC, Josy knows why. I see 2-3 possibilities, from funny to dramatic.

I have my thoughts on Zoey. In Interlude, the MC tells Zoey during the sex scene to make him think that he's not the only one who's horny with Zoey. This implies that Zoey fucks another guy besides the MC. I can't deny that. The only question is, who could that be?
Dalli, I can only assume I know what you really meant, but boy oh boy, didn't what you wrote sound perverted and open two whole new cans of worms!

Don't ever change.

Geralt From Rivia

Forum Fanatic
Jun 15, 2022
Still like her but not that much y'know. I was replaying her path last month to refresh my memory and then I realized she wasn't as perfect as I thought. I think there will be many conflicts between Tremolo and Jill in the future. But anyways...how about you? Sage's path will be your first one as well? :p
I'll start with Sage, then Others manwhore, then Others focused on Zoey. Next is Bella, M/J and finally Jill. After that, specialized routes with unique conditions will go. I have a little over 20 of them, so in the winter there will be something to do and it will be a long time, considering that I will often be afk.

ZenoMod

Nov 12, 2022
[...] (freeroams) are a way to do different paths without having to make fully diferent paths.

If there wasn't any freeroams, every single path would demand specific scenes that while would be simpler to code, would demand more planing in writing, choosing assests, posing and rendering.
Sorry, but I still don't get why without freeroams the developer shouldn't be able to reuse the same scenes and renders exaclty like he does with freeroams.

I've played a lot of VN without freeroams and the reuse of the same exact scenes among more than one branch is the norm. (For instance "Where The Heart Is", but it's just an example).

Episode 9 could be redone with the same scenes and dialogues (scenes and dialogues are the real parts progressing the story, not "finding a sword") while just getting rid of the forced clicks to go from room 1 to room 2 to progress from the dialogue with character X to the dialogue with character Y.

No need for extra scenes nor extra dialogues.

With freeroaming:
Scene A --> click on the stairs --> click on a door --> click on another door --> click on another stairs --> click on a character --> Scene B

Without freeroaming:
Scene A --> Scene B

The scenes (so both renderings and dialogues) are exactly the same. We just get rid of a bunch of forced clicks (which add nothing to the story) to progress between a scene and the next one.

Scenes, with their multiple choice menus, are the part of the gameplay that tell us a story.
So why force the player to click around the mansion with the sole purpose of progressing from Scene A to Scene B?

---

Why do you assume that Scene A and/or Scene B should be any different if instead of progressing from one to the other via a bunch of clicks in the mansion, Scene B just automatically follows Scene A? :WaitWhat:

The only branching (and thus the only need for different rendering/dialogues) arises if different options are chosen in the menus within each scene. There is no need of more branching if we go from Scene A to Scene B automatically instead via forced multiple clicks in the mansion.

4.80 star(s) 1,528 Votes