Kodek

Jun 26, 2017
I grant you, the weed smoking is a problem because it doesn't match with previous Dik choices like beating up Troy. However, and this is purely a fan theory with no in-game evidence to support it, Maya especially has been raised in a fundmentalist Christian household. We know her dad is against homosexuality, it's not a stretch to assume he's also against drugs and that that particualr hang up may still be present in Maya's mind.
I can give you that Maya would be against and could find about it. But let's change perspective then.

I didn't smoke weed, but i was a jerk to Steve. How would Maya/Josy know and why would she care about you being a jerk to someone that treated you like shit? In the end, they would change their decision because of Steve? Really?

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
It should be the exact opposite. The little ones is where it should matter
Nah, with teenagers, reputation is everything and the Major choices are going to affect the NPC's perception of the MC. Minor choices might allow one LI to look past the major choices and see the potential for change but most won't.

I also agree with the theory that eventually the Dik/Chick bar will be reduced to a single point which will broadly define who our MC has become. The minor choices will determine which LI we end up with only after the major choices have been takne into account.

Kodek

Jun 26, 2017
Nah, with teenagers, reputation is everything and the Major choices are going to affect the NPC's perception of the MC. Minor choices might allow one LI to look past the major choices and see the potential for change but most won't.

I also agree with the theoy that eventually the Dik/Chick bar will be reduced to a single point which will broadly define who our MC has become. The minor choices will determine which LI we end up with only after the major choices have been takne into account.
How can something they can't possibly know about change their perspective? So it don't matter that i never made a single crude joke at Jill (or Maya, or any LI who prefers CHICK) or talked like an asshole. But because of things she don't know, she changes her perspective.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
I think that a better system than the DIK/CHICK status/affinity system would have been to have RP with individual characters and with groups of characters be the main metric for determining how characters perceive the MC. I know that a lot of VNs use this and it's probably why DPC went in a different direction, but it's an effective system.

Spending time with people, doing nice things for them, saying nice things to them, is generally how you form good relationships in the real world so why not reflect this in the game world too? Yes, this is somewhat how the DIK/CHICK status system works, but it does it in a broad sense and not an individual basis. Right now, you can have high RP with a character like Maya which means she likes the MC, but you can be locked out of some content because you have DIK status. That does not make sense. If she likes the MC on an individual basis, then that's all that should matter. Instead, a high RP with Maya is what should give you more access to her content and a lower RP gives you less access.

There could still have been an overall metric as well with something like a "reputation" meter for general actions not related to main characters that would come in to play like the status bar at times. However, it's effect could have just been limited to altering or adding some lines of dialogue to reflect how certain characters view the MC's reputation, like Bella who wouldn't like it if the MC had a bad reputation and would call him out on it or simply reference what she's heard about him. It could also have locked out certain content, but only in the event that the RP of a character isn't high enough to make them see past a bad reputation status.

Kodek

Jun 26, 2017
I literally used all my brain juice on this... i will never like the way the Major choice works.
It would be much better to start the game without bars or with smaller bars and every Major choice would reward you with more bars, meaning that you would have more dialog options and would be more likely to act some way or another, but no one would judge because of those decisions alone. That's my point to the end.

Kodek

Jun 26, 2017
DIK/ CHICK meter plus the Relationship points is what would change characters opinions on you.

Ilhares

Engaged Member
Aug 19, 2019
Or you can play it on PC hooked to your big screen and get out of 2009. Just sayin......
Hey now, don't attack me like that, man. I've got 3 monitors hooked up, and they beat anything short of a 4k TV. The youngest of the trio is a Samsung 23" widescreen. My square panels have already survived total capacitor replacement once each.

Let my friend Dave explain the problem.

broke <removed>.gif

That's your parents, not cousins.
Patricide is kiling your Dad, matricide is killing your Mom, parenticide is killing both your parents, and parricide is killing a close family relative like a cousin, aunt, etc.
It's an old one and it goes back to Roman law. It is the killing of any close family relative, up to and including the murder of a first cousin of either your mother or father's bloodline.

The punishment for this was the "penalty of the sack", where one was "sewn up in a leather sack, with an assortment of live animals including a dog, snake, monkey, and a chicken or rooster, and then being thrown into water." It seems Hadrian would also offer it as an option instead of being thrown to the beasts in the arena.

Rough times.

JeefZ

Feb 21, 2018
Maya is the one I wanted the whole game so far. So if you are thrown into things you can't control,it shouldn't reflect back on you is all!!! Over and out!

Tumai

Sep 1, 2019
NPCs you've been nice to treating you as a DIK is presumably because people gossip, so even if you're nice to them they know the MC does a lot of DIK stuff elsewhere?
I can vouch for this. For some reason, people are fixated that one has to personally witness something to know anything - this really isn't the case.

As a person who moved schools every 2-3 years growing up (my dad was a diplomat, but army brats etc would tell you the same), I can confidently say that within a week at a new place I'd know exactly who had what rep, who the jokers were, who were bad losers in sports etc. without having to see it myself. Heck, as a 6th grader other 6th graders would tell me who the sluts were in the 12th grade before I'd even talked to a single 12th grader.

Knowing someone's reputation doesn't require being an eye-witness or even knowing what they specifically did to earn it. E.g They'd say "watch out for him, he likes to tell on people" and that's enough. They don't recite a list of examples.

Some info may prove wrong eventually but impressions are already formed.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I can vouch for this. For some reason, people are fixated that one has to personally witness something to know anything - this really isn't the case.

As a person who moved schools every 2-3 years growing up (my dad was a diplomat, but army brats etc would tell you the same), I can confidently say that within a week at a new place I'd know exactly who had what rep, who the jokers were, who were bad losers in sports etc. without having to see it myself. Heck, as a 6th grader other 6th graders would tell me who the sluts were in the 12th grade before I'd even talked to a single 12th grader.

Knowing someone's reputation doesn't require being an eye-witness or even knowing what they specifically did to earn it. E.g They'd say "watch out for him, he likes to tell on people" and that's enough. They don't recite a list of examples.

Some info may prove wrong eventually but impressions are already formed.
But why do only certain events matter?

Secretly fooling around with Jade? Builds your DIK reputation. Fooling around with Camila and Mona? Requires you to have acted like a DIK previously, no direct effect on your reputation. Being publicly accused of fooling around by Camila and Mona themselves? No effect on your reputation whatsoever.

If there's a consistent rule for why some things matter and some don't, I can't see it.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: ThePresident451

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
The simple truth is that most of the Major choices would never be known by anyone other than the people there. Jade doesn't run tell the LI's that she rubbed her students dick in class, Steve doesn't run to B&R to tell everyone whether the MC talked to him or not, etc. etc. Almost none of those Major Choices would be known to anyone but those people there at the time and almost none of them are LI's. I agree with Holy Bacchus and ename144 the system is unrealistic
That has my point since M&J rejection. If DIK/CHICK choices shape your personality and what the MC can or can't do, how he acts or speaks around people then I'm fine with it. But other people checking the affinity itself and not the actions you do based on it is a big no no from me.
Hey now, don't attack me like that, man. I've got 3 monitors hooked up, and they beat anything short of a 4k TV. The youngest of the trio is a Samsung 23" widescreen. My square panels have already survived total capacitor replacement once each.

Let my friend Dave explain the problem.

View attachment 691010

It's an old one and it goes back to Roman law. It is the killing of any close family relative, up to and including the murder of a first cousin of either your mother or father's bloodline.

The punishment for this was the "penalty of the sack", where one was "sewn up in a leather sack, with an assortment of live animals including a dog, snake, monkey, and a chicken or rooster, and then being thrown into water." It seems Hadrian would also offer it as an option instead of being thrown to the beasts in the arena.

Rough times.
I checked it afterwards, I think it's an English issue. Patricide and Parricide have the same etymological origin (Homicide of a parent). Parricide originally meant exclusively father/mother and those in a direct line, only ancestors, not relatives. With time it took a wider meaning, until it was "corrected again" to it's original meaning of only ancerstors in Roman law (Constantinus afaik). English took the wider (and wrong) meaning of "parricide" and then had to invent another word for the one they were misusing, and that's how "patricide" was born.

Reactions: Cndyrvr4lf

Zirael Q

Aug 28, 2017
DIK/ CHICK meter plus the Relationship points is what would change characters opinions on you.
The affinity bar will eventually block you from going to the other direction. It doesn't work out very well yet. Like, let's say you went a Massive DIK path and you made only DIK choices on those affinity choices. There will come a time that you will finally lose all of the CHICK bars. After that point, there will be no way for you to make a CHICK choice, even if there would be an option for zero affinity and point requirement. But it will be locked for your character anyways.
For example, helping the kid with the problem. Let's say this scene actually occurs very late in the game and you are a Massive DIK. Kid asks you for help, and you say "Solve it yourself". You won't be able to choose the help option.

Sunny29

Jun 3, 2018
I didn't know this game was made by the same team who made Acting Lessons. I loved that game. How did I miss it? I am installing it now!

Zirael Q

Aug 28, 2017
Also, it will change the type of person MC is and his view of situations. Maybe a little stretch but I think it'll be like, when you have the option to call Bella hot or beautiful. A CHICK one would be a lot more caring then the DIK one, except the LI he's pursuing. That's my take on this

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes