lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
How do American (or arguably Canadian) tuition fees get paid? Start of the semester? Per year? Can you turn up without having paid?

If Quinn has already paid for Sarah/Mel/Riona/Camilla and maybe even Mona’s tuition but Camilla and Mona aren’t pulling in the cash like she thought they would (Camilla only works gloryholes and Mona walked out on Burke) Quinn might start trying to scale this to cover costs.

It costs the same to fund each girl but there’s no guarantee each girl brings in the same. She might be subsiding girls with the work of others and she can’t just take back tuition fees she’s paid.

She might be bringing in girls on their speculative capacity to make money. She’s scaling it as a gamble to find more girls like Sarah/Mel who turn profits. There doesn’t have to be some grand secret expense like extortion just shitty business practises.
Using my amazing google-fu I learned that in american colleges you pay in advance of each semester or pay the full year at once but either way, it's cash up front. That would create a cash-flow problem if several new pledges are coming in believeing free tuition is available without the knowledge that it is paid for in kind.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Affinity is a game mechanic that works exactly as it should.
On the one hand, it is intended to prevent slalom between blue and red flags, or other acrobatics.
On the other hand, it should lead to a game where we do not use a walktrhoug to gain small points.
The main decision is governed by the affinity and it is easy to map. There are only a few major decisions.
We were informed (room number 66) that these decisions would affect the game and we chose.
You will not get DIK affinity with one choice, but with a constant choice of "red" colors. No wonder then that everything is red and not blue.
Yes, it works fine as an abstract game mechanic (though it remains to be seen just how well it scales).

But it's purely a game mechanic. It breaks down as soon as you start to wonder why some choices are "Major Choices" and others aren't.

Why is fooling around with Jade so much more significant than making a move on Bella in the library? Both are deliberately hitting on married teachers in a public place. One is a Major Choice. The other is an automatic action that has no effect on the affinity system whatsoever.

Reactions: Cndyrvr4lf

mindern

Jul 7, 2017
Using my amazing google-fu I learned that in american colleges you pay in advance of each semester or pay the full year at once but either way, it's cash up front. That would create a cash-flow problem if several new pledges are coming in believeing free tuition is available without the knowledge that it is paid for in kind.
or backing out after they learn what it fully involves. If she tries to escalate what they’re doing.

She gambles with every girl. Huge upfront costs and hopes they are like Mel/Sarah and turn a profit.

If they don’t she’s up shit creek. She can’t take back the cash, she can’t legally force the money out of anyone (what’s she gonna do? Sue Camila for being a bad prostitute?). She could obviously refuse to pay their next tuition fee but she can’t kick them out and risk backlash and exposure of the scheme so her only option really is to double down and hope her next gamble pays enough to clear itself and her last gamble.

Kz87

Jun 19, 2017
Except that Michael Corleone displayed a side to her that she didn't like; his vicious, criminal side. To M&J, the MC hadn't displayed a side they didn't like. The only thing that could have made them see him differently was him storming out, but that was not only unavoidable and had nothing to do with affinity, but it was also understandable given the situation. Also, the idea that his affinity/personality affected the decision is undercut by the confessions in ep 5.

The affinity and status systems are working against each other here, and it's creating an inconsistency issue with not just the MC but also the characters around him.
Episode 5 showed that they have a feelings based on how he treat them. But, they could not accept him into triangle relationship, which requires much more serious commitment. Maybe, Quinn's services not much a secret, we do not know what HOTs gossip behind the scenes. Partying in strip club could also be leaked through Johnny boy and Elena's relationship. Being high tempered guy who can not avoid violence also does not add up good points to how he is perceived in M&J's eyes. They would still like him very much, but for a serious relationship it needs something more.

All things above are my speculations, just trying to find DPC's logic in it.

Reactions: Irgendwie Irgendwo

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Yes, it works fine as an abstract game mechanic (though it remains to be seen just how well it scales).

But it's purely a game mechanic. It breaks down as soon as you start to wonder why some choices are "Major Choices" and others aren't.

Why is fooling around with Jade so much more significant than making a move on Bella in the library? Both are deliberately hitting on married teachers in a public place. One is a Major Choice. The other is an automatic action that has no effect on the affinity system whatsoever.
One is ballsy and potentially very stupid attempt to hit on a woman who is not only your teacher but also married to a powerful man who has the ability to create real problems for you. The other is an attempt to hit a clearly lonely woman who, when you do it, has not revealed that they are a teacher at the college.

Reactions: RonnieBoi

B-52reloaded

Aug 25, 2018
Whilst staying with Dage after the May/Josy shit I discovered a key in one of the rooms at the HOT´s mansion (where Heather was lying at the couch). Anyone know what´s the significance of this key and which door does it open??

Cndyrvr4lf

Donor
Jun 16, 2017
Whilst staying with Dage after the May/Josy shit I discovered a key in one of the rooms at the HOT´s mansion (where Heather was lying at the couch). Anyone know what´s the significance of this key and which door does it open??
The small closet between Sage's room and Quinn's

Reactions: B-52reloaded

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
One is ballsy and potentially very stupid attempt to hit on a woman who is not only your teacher but also married to a powerful man who has the ability to create real problems for you. The other is an attempt to hit a clearly lonely woman who, when you do it, has not revealed that they are a teacher at the college.
Really? Because I could claim that one is empty sex with a willing participant, and the other is trying to force yourself on a woman too psychologically scarred to stop herself.

Besides, isn't spying on Chad ballsy and likely to create real problems for you? What about trying to fuck Sage in plain sight at a DIK party? No Major Choices there, just business as usual.

And if the key is that Jade ticks all the boxes (public sex, teacher, married, bad consequences), then why do comparatively mild things like defending yourselves against jocks or partying at the Pink Rose ALSO manage to count?

Sorry, the system is arbitrary. There's no two ways about it.

Mormont

Devoted Member
Nov 30, 2018
Quinn freeloading on her own drugs is admittedly very speculative. I agree we haven't seen her using them very often. Then again, how often have we seen Riona or Tommy using them? The only time we saw Riona using them alone I can think of off the top of my head is when she meets the MC on the deck in Episode 5. There's a lot of implied drug use, but it's short on details.

I think the case for Quinn lying to Tommy is a lot stronger, though. We saw Quinn talking to Riona about the shortfall ourselves. Not only does she never mention Riona's freeloading (much less promise to keep it a secret), Riona herself asks how they could be short. Unless Riona is actually delusional, why would she ask that question when they both know the answer and won't talk about it?

So for me, the question isn't *if* Quinn was lying to Tommy but *why* she was lying. Quinn using too many drugs herself is the simplest explanation IMHO.

The alternatives I can think of require a lot more assumptions. From most to least plausible: Melanie and Sarah are taking the money for their own purposes; Quinn has an extra-secret agenda she is using the money for; Quinn is even worse at math than Dawe; a third party is stealing the money somehow. Those are possible, but I would be more surprised by those than Quinn freeloading.
I still think the majority of this is down to Tommy and Riona remember there was a scene between Quinn and Heather when Heather was complaining about Tommy taking her drugs so there is that as well as Tommy even asking Rusty if he had anything. The thing is if Quinn was using more drugs then Tommy or Riona would have brought that up perhaps something along the lines you wouldn't have this problem if you weren't overusing Riona especially as she seems the closer to Quinn.

Well, the Melanie and Sarah issue you could be onto something with that they are clearly up to something with the whole Chad and Sage stuff so I wouldn't count them out of anything I'm thinking they want control of it all the Chad issue to take out Sage and the money issue to take out Quinn could it be that these two have been plotting behind both Sage and Quinn's back all this time?

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Affinity is a game mechanic that works exactly as it should.
Except it doesn't. How the MC treats other characters is what would make them see his personality. Things such as offering to help Maya, being nice to Jill, asking Sage how she's doing, should make them as indivduals see him as having a good personality, whereas going the opposite way by not being so nice and friendly to them should make them see him as having more of a bad personality.

The MC taking Quinn's number, or not being nice to Steve, or accepting Jade's advances, isn't forming his personality in the eyes of other characters if the greater sum of his actions with them on a personal level doesn't reflect it. If he was truly a DIK in terms of personality then his niceness would be seen as fake, but we have no indication that anyone thinks that. Even Bella, who doesn't like it when the MC makes the minor +DIK choices, will totally accept a MC with a DIK affinity so long as the status choices with her have been positive.

There's a disparity here between the two different metrics when you have a vast majority of choices being made which directly affect the relationships with certain characters being outweighed by fewer choices that may not accurately the reflect the sum total of those minor choices. It's like if someone were to devote their entire lives to doing good in the world by helping the poor, raising money for charities, giving back to their community, etc, but because they once used an illegal drug in their teenage years that suddenly makes them a bad person and negates everything else they've done. Many of these major choices aren't even all that bad either, so why not being nice to Steve or smoking weed should somehow tip the scale of the MC's personality when he's potentially been a generally good guy is a bit odd.

Kz87

Jun 19, 2017
And if the key is that Jade ticks all the boxes (public sex, teacher, married, bad consequences), then why do comparatively mild things like defending yourselves against jocks or partying at the Pink Rose ALSO manage to count?
Just partying does not count, but paying for services, lap dance, or sex(prostitution) does count. You can still party at the pink rose whilst staying at chick route.

Dec 20, 2019
Is there any hint that Sage knows about free tuition deal?
Free tuition not sure, prostitution no. Remember how Quinn asked them to hush when Sage walked into the pool? Was that about the tuition or the side-job?

Besides being his closest friend, Riona is probably the most active girl in the prostitution stuff. It's mentioned several times, she's well known for her "blowbjob skills". In Ep1, Quinn even said the prostitution activities were easier last year thanks to Riona. So I suppose, Quinn goes easy on her with drugs because she's a very valuable asset.

Furthermore Riona's consumption would probably not be such a problem if the alpha didn't stop buying pills and if Quinn wasn't so cocky with the new pledges and the free tuitions.
Employee of the year! Reward for employee of the year? Free medical benefits from the pharmacy!

For me, it was one of those wait what? moment Quinn said that Riona was going through a lot more but if money has been an issue for Quinn why would she allow that? she's letting the merchandise go for free with Riona. But going easy on her despite knowing she's got to make that money back at first I thought Quinn had a good business plan but it's not good if you let your employees have a free for all with all the stock without paying.
I am assuming here that she is running two business model. The restaurant with education benefits and the pharmacy. Like Riona said maybe Quinn tried to expand the restaurant too fast by recruiting too many girls and now the liabilities are more than the profits. I think it's not just Riona claiming her medical benefits too much (it's true or not is another matter), it's Quinn hoping to use her pharmacy's profits to temporary cover the restaurant's expansion until the girls are self-providing that's causing the imba in the balance sheets and backfiring now. Mixing the two businesses is big no no.

how to fight with big guy in episode 5 ???
Mini game or non-mini game? If mini game just follow the arrows, if non-mini game you have to search for the answers among the theories some 50 pages back.

Wait, isn't that the same everywhere? Although I know in some places the education is free.

Last edited:

Wizard_Shiryuu

Engaged Member
Sep 6, 2019
Quinn (and probably Riona) are dealing with drugs to fund their lifestyle (using drugs).
We don't know if Quinn was honest to Tommy or if she just used Riona as a scapegoat. We only know that she needs money. (She tried to get $ 2.500 from Rich in first try, so that might be roughly the amount she is short.)

I wonder how the "free tuition" story will continue.
Quinn's motto is :
qu "Loose lips, sink ships."
qu "But loose hips, get tips."
So she directly hints to Mona and Maya (in the pool scene) that free tuition is a secret and connected to Quinn's business (light prostitution).

Is there any hint that Sage knows about free tuition deal?
If Quinn is short on money, how can she (or the HOTs) pay all the tuitions for active sisters and new daughters which are due now for the coming year?
"Light prostitution". Tell that to Mona (or Ashley).

• Haha
Reactions: n0cn1l

Kz87

Jun 19, 2017
Many of these major choices aren't even all that bad either, so why not being nice to Steve or smoking weed should somehow tip the scale of the MC's personality when he's potentially been a generally good guy is a bit odd.
Purpose of choice with Steve is not just single action, but the way to shape MC what kind of person he is. Is he generous no matter who in front of him, even an asshole like Steve. Or he will try to be nice only to impress someone(fuck her).

Real Kreten

Apr 10, 2020
I guess it will all come down on who the dealer is if Quinn can't pay perhaps she will use other methods the menu for example and send one of the girls to help her pay off the debt just an idea of course but then again if she is to get away with that then she could always use that excuse and withhold any money she has brought in.
I am out of likes, so (y)

Reactions: Ilhares and Mormont
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes