Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
I still get the same error.
Guess i'll just skip the Lily rooster thing and go on with the rest of the game.
If you replaced the mod, start from a save point BEFORE the free roam. If you start from a save during the free roam it won't work.

Cndyrvr4lf

Donor
Jun 16, 2017
There is exactly one moment of narration after the intro - in the library with Bella, when he says:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That's it. That is, so far, the only narration post-introduction. The fact it is the only time DPC has done it makes it IMPORTANT. It could be something other than her dying, but the major event of the story's climax (not that kind of climax!!! I'd tell you to get your mind out of the gutter, but I'm on this site too...) is going to involve Bella's very bad awful terrible day. You can't draw that much attention to a (metaphorical) gun in the first act if you aren't going to use it in the fifth act.

My guess; she is going to sleep with the MC, and feel so guilty she kills herself. Or she gets over her reservations, sleeps with him, and then her husband walks in on them and storms off again. She might get so jealous she goes on a kill crazy rampage, or something else entirely. But it will be a bad day for Bella.
The only problem with the Chekhov's Gun theory is that Chekhov recommended that you not carry over things past the next chapter or two. We are still dealing with dramatic situations from the 1st episode and we are now going on 6. Plus saying how DPC doesn't always research his dramatic situations I would bet he has no clue who Anton Chekhov is.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
1. ?
2. We don't know that it was Chad. Everyone blames Chad for everything but all we know is that it was "some Jocks"
3. See #2
4. If Chad is gay than Sage is his Beard. Which means it behooves him to keep her there at his side. Maybe he thought giving her the guitar would buy him some brownie points. He doesn't have to like her for her to be camouflage but she does have to be there.
I do discuss most of the topics you raised in the second half of my post. :p

On #4, I agree that would make a lot of sense, but I can't reconcile that logic with the way Chad acts towards Sage in the Episode 5 flashback (complete disinterest once he establishes the HOTs only party with the jocks), and when he asks Sage for help in Episode 3 (the peck on her forehead). Neither of those do much to keep Sage at his side.

The Episode 3 case is particularly bad, because that's when he is visiting Sage specifically to beg for a favor. Even if Chad wasn't gay, his treatment of Sage makes no sense. If there was ever a time to butter her up, you'd think that would be it. But he could only have acted like less of a boyfriend if he'd pinched her cheek.

So I'm forced to conclude that Chad isn't interested in keeping up the idea that Sage is his girlfriend, whether she's a beard or not.

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
The only problem with the Chekhov's Gun theory is that Chekhov recommended that you not carry over things past the next chapter or two. We are still dealing with dramatic situations from the 1st episode and we are now going on 6. Plus saying how DPC doesn't always research his dramatic situations I would bet he has no clue who Anton Chekhov is.
He's from a country with a really excellent education system. I think we can assume he knows the concept, even if he doesn't know the name. Plus, he is a good story teller (which is why this thread is impossible to keep up with!), and a good story teller knows this stuff institutionally if they don't know it through education. I'd also say that act one is season one, and we are just now getting into season two, so...

(Also, TOTALLY unimportant, but I have a lifelong habit of pedantry, so it wasn't from the first episode, but from the second or third.)

Cndyrvr4lf

Donor
Jun 16, 2017
I do discuss most of the topics you raised in the second half of my post. :p

On #4, I agree that would make a lot of sense, but I can't reconcile that logic with the way Chad acts towards Sage in the Episode 5 flashback (complete disinterest once he establishes the HOTs only party with the jocks), and when he asks Sage for help in Episode 3 (the peck on her forehead). Neither of those do much to keep Sage at his side.

The Episode 3 case is particularly bad, because that's when he is visiting Sage specifically to beg for a favor. Even if Chad wasn't gay, his treatment of Sage makes no sense. If there was ever a time to butter her up, you'd think that would be it. But he could only have acted like less of a boyfriend if he'd pinched her cheek.

So I'm forced to conclude that Chad isn't interested in keeping up the idea that Sage is his girlfriend, whether she's a beard or not.
See and that's why I have trouble immersing myself in parts of this story. Chad seemed so indifferent in the flashback and is still indifferent. How could Sage, a beautiful and desirable women, still being hanging on 2-3 years later? Has Chad been claiming impotence this whole time? If so why is Sage so concerned about the whole relationship? Doesn't make a bit of sense.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
There is exactly one moment of narration after the intro - in the library with Bella, when he says:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

That's it. That is, so far, the only narration post-introduction. The fact it is the only time DPC has done it makes it IMPORTANT. It could be something other than her dying, but the major event of the story's climax (not that kind of climax!!! I'd tell you to get your mind out of the gutter, but I'm on this site too...) is going to involve Bella's very bad awful terrible day. You can't draw that much attention to a (metaphorical) gun in the first act if you aren't going to use it in the fifth act.

My guess; she is going to sleep with the MC, and feel so guilty she kills herself. Or she gets over her reservations, sleeps with him, and then her husband walks in on them and storms off again. She might get so jealous she goes on a kill crazy rampage, or something else entirely. But it will be a bad day for Bella.
That's not actually the only narration during the game: there's also the MC's monologue on doors at the end of Episode 3.

The narration about Bella clearly foreshadows something ominous, but that does not necessarily mean it's deadly serious. If Bella turned out to be a recovered nymphomaniac, for example, and the MC would eventually be overwhelmed by her insatiable urges once he managed to get her libido going again, it could still fulfill the warning while being something more suited for a sex farce.

We all know DPC's reputation, so it's certainly possible Bella's story will end in literal blood. But it's just as possible he put that narration in there to mislead us and the end result won't be nearly that bad. Until we get more information about Bella (or about exactly what kind of game DPC is aiming for this time), all we can do is speculate.

Cndyrvr4lf

Donor
Jun 16, 2017
He's from a country with a really excellent education system. I think we can assume he knows the concept, even if he doesn't know the name. Plus, he is a good story teller (which is why this thread is impossible to keep up with!), and a good story teller knows this stuff institutionally if they don't know it through education. I'd also say that act one is season one, and we are just now getting into season two, so...
I'm not scrolling back through over a week of pages to find where I could show you that I disagree with that statement. DPC has a ton of plot contrivances in his story that are impossible or highly improbable and yet there they are. I think there Plot Holes rather than just flubs for the sake of the story but that's me.

I think DPC is a good storyteller until he tries to ramp up the drama and then he sucks balls. Just my opinion

Reactions: Crazymic79

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
That's not actually the only narration during the game: there's also the MC's monologue on doors at the end of Episode 3.
Hey, yeah, I forgot about that one. Still, it is being used extremely sparsely, and I think we can definitely say it portends something wicked, in a story sense. And while it's true DPC doesn't have to go the deadly route again, the best way to make a story compelling is to ask yourself, "what's the worst possible thing I could do to this character?"

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
See and that's why I have trouble immersing myself in parts of this story. Chad seemed so indifferent in the flashback and is still indifferent. How could Sage, a beautiful and desirable women, still being hanging on 2-3 years later? Has Chad been claiming impotence this whole time? If so why is Sage so concerned about the whole relationship? Doesn't make a bit of sense.
I can see a few ways to make sense of it (Chad and Sage were childhood friends who morphed into semi-lovers over time, Chad was having an off day in the flashback, Sage started dating Chad after the flashback and he was affectionate at first). But I agree we are going to need to see a lot more explanation for what the Sage sees in him if her storyline is ever going to stand up.

Reactions: Cndyrvr4lf

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Hey, yeah, I forgot about that one. Still, it is being used extremely sparsely, and I think we can definitely say it portends something wicked, in a story sense. And while it's true DPC doesn't have to go the deadly route again, the best way to make a story compelling is to ask yourself, "what's the worst possible thing I could do to this character?"
The idea that certainly has a following, but I am not among them. IMHO, that sort of thinking eventually conditions the audience not to bother forming emotional attachments to the characters in the first place. Why bother, if it's all inevitably going to end in a tragic mess that confirms the misery of life?

The key to making a story compelling is for us to care about what happens to the characters. That does mean we need to take threats to them seriously, but it also means we have to have hope they can overcome those threats, too. Acting Lessons botched that last part, which really hurt it in my eyes. I'm hoping BaDIK will learn from its example.

Apollo411

Jun 17, 2020
Hi all. I just started playing a couple of these types of games for the first time and I have to say DIK is by far the best - the dialog and characters are much better... along with everything else... I'm addicted. Does the 0.5.2 patch add any content or is it just bug fixes?

Also, how does Acting Lessons compare to this? I'm thinking I need to load that up while waiting for new content. Thanks.

Cndyrvr4lf

Donor
Jun 16, 2017
Hi all. I just started playing a couple of these types of games for the first time and I have to say DIK is by far the best - the dialog and characters are much better... along with everything else... I'm addicted. Does the 0.5.2 patch add any content or is it just bug fixes?

Also, how does Acting Lessons compare to this? I'm thinking I need to load that up while waiting for new content. Thanks.
5.2 is to fix a bug created in 5.1 no new content in either.

Lightaces

Aug 3, 2018
The idea that certainly has a following, but I am not among them.
Pretty sure DPC is among them, though. His Pateron says, "The general tone will be happy, but if you're in a dark period of your life, I'd advise you to not play the game." And we all know where Acting Lessons went.

mindern

Jul 7, 2017
Thing is... and I seem to bring up this particular meta point a lot... would people be on board with her being actively (visibly) in love with him? It’s just a concession the story has to make to remove all NTR and anything remotely within that same ballpark. Dude never should have written so much of his cast as being in relationships if he didn’t have the balls to also write those relationships as functioning lest we brush up against something vaguely in that area.

I agree it’s excessively incongruous that she’s this hung up on someone who shows her zero affection. But I don’t think it’s a desired character trait that Chad seems to be entirely disinterested in her for their entire relationship and Sage never addresses any sort of change in his behaviour. As far as we know he’s always been indifferent to her. Its just the writing desperately avoiding showing a main LI romantically and sexually involved with someone else.

I dislike that particular fetish as much as any rational adult but the fact he won’t even establish they were previously in a healthy, sexual, relationship before the MC even knew she existed is to the detriment of the characters. Makes her actions seem arbitrary.

I’m not suggesting we need a full blown sex scene flashback, I’m not even suggesting he be willing to kiss her now. We just need to have her verbally acknowledge their relationship was once good. Cover why they were together and why she won’t let go. No need for gory details but being so overwhelmingly sensitive to people’s knee jerk hatred that he can’t even write a LI acknowledging she was once in love with someone else is just absurd. It’s getting a little tedious that she’s this into a guy who treats her with scathing indifference.

manmker123

Dec 8, 2018
Is it just me or dose Quinn seem to have so hidden interests in the MC? I know Sage hints at something like that in the Sage brench?

Reactions: 311

Siphon

Aug 18, 2016
Or perhaps that will just be the complication, and Bella's terrible day will cause everything else to get revealed to the powers that be, and the climax will come from that. Either way, the future doesn't look very good for Bella.
Could be a lot of things. For all we know it's the classic coma plot, and he's in the locked room.

Is it just me or dose Quinn seem to have so hidden interests in the MC? I know Sage hints at something like that in the Sage brench?
Possibly. It could just be Sage misreading her odd interest in the MC since later on when you get high with her she says she thought you'd be an obstacle at first and she doesn't seem to have much in the way of affection. But it could be right and she is interested in you, which is why she freaks if you go to kiss her on the grinding scene in her room. Funny enough when Jacob says he saw you banging Quinn on the rooftop Tommy seems kind of angry, so maybe you get tangled in some love triangle.

Cndyrvr4lf

Donor
Jun 16, 2017
Thing is... and I seem to bring up this particular meta point a lot... would people be on board with her being actively (visibly) in love with him? It’s just a concession the story has to make to remove all NTR and anything remotely within that same ballpark. Dude never should have written so much of his cast as being in relationships if he didn’t have the balls to also write those relationships as functioning lest we brush up against something vaguely in that area.

I agree it’s excessively incongruous that she’s this hung up on someone who shows her zero affection. But I don’t think it’s a desired character trait that Chad seems to be entirely disinterested in her for their entire relationship and Sage never addresses any sort of change in his behaviour. As far as we know he’s always been indifferent to her. Its just the writing desperately avoiding showing a main LI romantically and sexually involved with someone else.

I dislike that particular fetish as much as any rational adult but the fact he won’t even establish they were previously in a healthy, sexual, relationship before the MC even knew she existed is to the detriment of the characters. Makes her actions seem arbitrary.

I’m not suggesting we need a full blown sex scene flashback, I’m not even suggesting he be willing to kiss her now. We just need to have her verbally acknowledge their relationship was once good. Cover why they were together and why she won’t let go. No need for gory details but being so overwhelmingly sensitive to people’s knee jerk hatred that he can’t even write a LI acknowledging she was once in love with someone else is just absurd. It’s getting a little tedious that she’s this into a guy who treats her with scathing indifference.
First off I am NOT a fan of it so lets get that out of the way. However in a game where 4/5 LI's are already in a committed relationship, regardless of circumstances, it should be at least superficially a part of it. Nothing overt but at least an acknowledgement of the relationships. Instead we are presented with this list of relationships that are so dysfunctional that we don't see anything even remotely positive about any of them until we become involved. It makes the whole thing too forced and loses the whole, at least for me, immersion factor because I can't even get into the story because it comes across as bullshit. The most functional relationship is the Maya/Josy thing because at least they express interest and attraction to each other at some point in the storyline. Sad

manmker123

Dec 8, 2018
Could be a lot of things. For all we know it's the classic coma plot, and he's in the locked room.

Possibly. It could just be Sage misreading her odd interest in the MC since later on when you get high with her she says she thought you'd be an obstacle at first and she doesn't seem to have much in the way of affection. But it could be right and she is interested in you, which is why she freaks if you go to kiss her on the grinding scene in her room. Funny enough when Jacob says he saw you banging Quinn on the rooftop Tommy seems kind of angry, so maybe you get tangled in some love triangle.
Hmm maybe. Or she just gets off on all the drama perhaps idk. I just found it funny if it were true.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes