ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
But regardless of choices and the occasional "screw-up", there isn't a whole lot of control of the arc of the overall narrative, and that's the point. Sooner or later, the MC is going to get caught up in something that is outwith the control of the player, even if it's something they've actively avoided being apart of (Quinn) because that's what the story is really going to be about. We think it's just about the MC getting girls and enjoying college life, but really that's just the outer layer, and the core is what Quinn is up to and how this will end up having far-reaching consequences that will ensnare the MC and thus affect everyone connected to the MC.

It doesn't necessarily have to be anything that drives a major wedge between him and these people he's connected to, it could just be something that causes some mild issues that essentially slows or even pauses the MC's story to the point where nothing really happens until a later date. But it is one way in which a time-jump could be facilitated because it creates one of those situations where the protagonist hits a major roadblock in the story and it will take time to get around it and start the story up again.
I think you have that exactly backwards. If the protagonist hits a roadblock in the story, we should focus on resolving that roadblock, not cutaway to a later date. The overcoming those roadblocks is the whole point of this sort of story!

If you want a time skip, do it when a relationship is going smoothly enough that we can intuit what will have happened in the time we skipped.

As for Quinn's drug plot, I hope it remains a subplot. Frankly, I've seen nothing in any of DPC's writing that convinces me heavy dramatic stakes are his forte. Making a raunchy, lighthearted college rom-com center around Quinn's would-be drug/prostitution empire is like... I'm having a hard time coming up with a suitable simile. Insisting Art Garfunkel break up with Paul Simon to pursue his career as an actor, maybe?

(Am I just deliberately trying to feel old at this point?)

Warped77

Jul 13, 2020
Frankly, I've seen nothing in any of DPC's writing that convinces me heavy dramatic stakes are his forte.
Serious question... have you played Acting Lessons? IMHO, DPC handled heavy drama in that pretty well. Granted, it was only a portion of a much shorter story, but still.

Reactions: OneShotKiller

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Serious question... have you played Acting Lessons? IMHO, DPC handled heavy drama in that pretty well. Granted, it was only a portion of a much shorter story, but still.
I have, and I do not share your opinion. The relentless, brutal drama in the last quarter of that game was damn near sadistic. I can accept a story going dark, but that's not an excuse to revel in said darkness.

Suffice it to say, Acting Lessons is the single biggest concern I have with Being a DIK.

Cokebaths

May 30, 2020
I have, and I do not share your opinion. The relentless, brutal drama in the last quarter of that game was damn near sadistic. I can accept a story going dark, but that's not an excuse to revel in said darkness.

Suffice it to say, Acting Lessons is the single biggest concern I have with Being a DIK.
Hard agree. AL came with a lot of positive reviews and recommendations which is why I decided to check it out after playing Badik. My first thought after playing was "Okay...? That was something." The characters were interesting for the most part, and I even kinda liked the nurse plot at the end, and The Choice had me a little shook. But the conflicts seemed to be rushed, trying a bit too hard, and not that well executed in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 2739658

Hard agree. AL came with a lot of positive reviews and recommendations which is why I decided to check it out after playing Badik. My first thought after playing was "Okay...? That was something." The characters were interesting for the most part, and I even kinda liked the nurse plot at the end, and The Choice had me a little shook. But the conflicts seemed to be rushed, trying a bit too hard, and not that well executed in my opinion.
Gotta agree with you and ename on this one. Just having that final act surprise psycho killer was pretty cliche, and I've also felt worried about it in BaDIK. DPC's characters and dialogue are fantastic, some of the best I've seen in video games. But his plots are a little weak. I hope he proves us wrong with BaDIK.

Reactions: Cokebaths

cryhwks

Dec 3, 2018
I like this game but a lot of the choices don't seem to matter a whole lot.
Illusion of choice, almost any choice based game is like that. You get to decide who the MC gets to fuck and possibly end up with.

But any major choices like, not freaking the fuck out when the MC learns about M&J, even though your trying to hook up with both, and have no right to get that pissed.

Or if you you try for more with M&J, and they turn you down. Is there any way you'd still want to be friends with these girls? Of course not, you'd tell them F off and bye.

There's a lot of those kinds of scenarios. But I get it.

Rimmer

May 27, 2017
Illusion of choice, almost any choice based game is like that. You get to decide who the MC gets to fuck and possibly end up with.

But any major choices like, not freaking the fuck out when the MC learns about M&J, even though your trying to hook up with both, and have no right to get that pissed.

Or if you you try for more with M&J, and they turn you down. Is there any way you'd still want to be friends with these girls? Of course not, you'd tell them F off and bye.

There's a lot of those kinds of scenarios. But I get it.
I don't get it, just write a story where the choices actually matter and move the story along, not rocket science is it?
Why give pointless choices to not be interested in someone, to then push the player into a relationship anyway and just for some shitty drama, if the dev wants to force it then don't give the player a choice......simple.

Two games, forced relationships and choices leading to badly written drama, it's not looking great for how this story is going to go, but fingers crossed that he pulls this one out the bag.

Tserriednich'sNen

Engaged Member
Jan 16, 2020

yep dark for the sake of being dark

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I don't get it, just write a story where the choices actually matter and move the story along, not rocket science is it?
Why give pointless choices to not be interested in someone, to then push the player into a relationship anyway and just for some shitty drama, if the dev wants to force it then don't give the player a choice......simple.

Two games, forced relationships and choices leading to badly written drama, it's not looking great for how this story is going to go, but fingers crossed that he pulls this one out the bag.
that's right, the problem is not the choices that are not proposed to us (which would make the game huge and unmanageable), but those that are proposed to us but do not affect MC's behavior

on forced relationships I would wait to judge. at the beginning of the game there is some forced date, we need to get to know the characters. but at the moment, if you want, MC could only attend the LI or LIs that interest us

Ghostly Hale

Jan 26, 2018
So, let's say Quinn has an STD. Becuase we get no say in her inserting MC's dick dueing the Cum-a-tention do we Just have to accept that the MC gave everyone an STD? Imagine that as an ending.

Only reason i'm saying this is that Quinn fucks that second-in-comand of the DIKS whom have slept with Ariel. Quinn also shares needles with that same guy. (I assume she pimps herself out as well as the other girls) So how likely is it that the MC has an STD?

always86

Mar 19, 2020
So, let's say Quinn has an STD. Becuase we get no say in her inserting MC's dick dueing the Cum-a-tention do we Just have to accept that the MC gave everyone an STD? Imagine that as an ending.

Only reason i'm saying this is that Quinn fucks that second-in-comand of the DIKS whom have slept with Ariel. Quinn also shares needles with that same guy. (I assume she pimps herself out as well as the other girls) So how likely is it that the MC has an STD?
You can loose the Cumpetition, essentially MC shouts I came (not sure if he did) and it’s over. So IF she does have a STD you can avoid it. Would be kind of silly in my opinion given that is literally the only scene, including the prostitution scenes, where a condom can be worn. Also be annoying if in a 16 part story something that significant happened at the start of ep 2 and you had to replay everything to avoid it... That said I guess some of those decisions will need a pay off.

The funny thing is the Jocks post it but we don't have the evidence to pin om them. FUCK!!!

View attachment 779467 View attachment 779468 View attachment 779469 View attachment 779470 View attachment 779471
im not 100% it’s them I think they want to take credit, but I don’t see how they would pull it off. Could possibly be they hired the nerds.

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 1,527 Votes