Blades1138

Jul 29, 2017
I think I know where you're going with this, but there's a difference between someone who is an arrogant, bullying prick at their core, and someone who plays that role because they're covering up their own insecurities behind that façade, and I view her as the latter, not the former.
Well, not really here to defend Tommy, but anyone who's a bullying prick has at least some degree of inferiority complex, which they're compensating for in the lamest way possible. So even in that sense Tommy and Quinn would be similar.

Reactions: CynicalBstrd

Warped77

Jul 13, 2020
Just how hard is it to admit that we give Quinn a free pass because we aren't solely thinking with our brains when it comes to her? Stop trying to justify it, the world won't end if we're all a little bit of hypocrites sometimes, it's fine.:D
Haha... see also:

Perfectly normal behavior - Railing your tenth different girl in a week, all the while thinking "my girlfriend better not be cheating on me!!!!!"

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Enticing college girls into prostitution... good intentions..? I'm sorry, what?:WaitWhat:
By that I mean it was to support the sorority rather for personal gain; we shouldn't forget the conversation with Camilla where she tells the MC that, since she likes sex anyway, why not get paid for something she'd be doing anyway.

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
By that I mean it was to support the sorority rather for personal gain; we shouldn't forget the conversation with Camilla where she tells the MC that, since she likes sex anyway, why not get paid for something she'd be doing anyway.
But we don't even know that the proceeds are actually going to the girls. We've seen Quinn trick people out of money when she lied to Sage before the preps party; as she admits to Tommy, the money was actually for Quinn's lifestyle, not the HOTs. We still don't know anything about the financial situation of the HOTs or Quinn herself (other than her shortfall), so it's much too soon to pat her on the back for any philanthropy.

I'm not saying Quinn *must* be cheating her girls. I'm just saying that from what we've actually seen in game, Quinn is at least as self-serving and meanspirited as Tommy has been. Both seem to prioritize their own needs ahead of their brethren (though Quinn is the only one we've seen lie about it onscreen).

The difference (besides Quinn having a vagina) is that Quinn gets a lot of sad music and empty gazes during her cut-scenes. That paints her in a more sympathetic light, but the question is why. Is it to foreshadow that Quinn isn't that bad after all, or is it to make the eventual reveal of how evil Quinn is that much more surprising?

Personally, I think it's bad practice to 'lie' to the audience that way, so I'm hopeful that we will eventually see some redeeming qualities in Quinn. But given DPC's track record, I am absolutely not counting on that.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
But we don't even know that the proceeds are actually going to the girls. We've seen Quinn trick people out of money when she lied to Sage before the preps party; as she admits to Tommy, the money was actually for Quinn's lifestyle, not the HOTs. We still don't know anything about the financial situation of the HOTs or Quinn herself (other than her shortfall), so it's much too soon to pat her on the back for any philanthropy.

I'm not saying Quinn *must* be cheating her girls. I'm just saying that from what we've actually seen in game, Quinn is at least as self-serving and meanspirited as Tommy has been. Both seem to prioritize their own needs ahead of their brethren (though Quinn is the only one we've seen lie about it onscreen).

The difference (besides Quinn having a vagina) is that Quinn gets a lot of sad music and empty gazes during her cut-scenes. That paints her in a more sympathetic light, but the question is why. Is it to foreshadow that Quinn isn't that bad after all, or is it to make the eventual reveal of how evil Quinn is that much more surprising?

Personally, I think it's bad practice to 'lie' to the audience that way, so I'm hopeful that we will eventually see some redeeming qualities in Quinn. But given DPC's track record, I am absolutely not counting on that.
I only said it was possible, not definite, that Quinn's motivations weren't entirely self-serving, something I can't really say for Tommy. What does seem clear is that she's losing control, in that she and Tommy have something in common (and isn't it funny that both situations are apparently occuring due to someone not suited to the group coming in?)

Jun 21, 2018
The thing is how they're presented in story. Quinn is obviously presented to be more sympathetic, with greater depth and hidden motivations we don't know, adding complexity to a character that initially is presented as an unrepentant bully but is slowly being shown different sides of, some ugly, some better. She's also shown to develop a positive relationship with the MC of sorts in the DIK path, which is meant to color our perception of her.

Meanwhile Tommy is presented almost always exclusively through bad lenses - either as your godfather, as a friend, as Jody's stepbrother or as any kind of figure you rely on, he's terrible at it, unrepentant about it and his reasons are almost always framed as selfish, and simply him wanting to indulge himself. The exception to that when he's motivated by wanting the greater good of the Fraternity, even that gets deconstructed later on since he just projects himself on the frat. The only scene where he's presented as positive is when you have a frank talk with him at the strip club by picking the Derek route, and even that doesn't seem to change anything.

The above view goes for both the DIK and the CHICK paths, while Quinn gets a lot better mileage out of the DIK path, where instead of just being antagonistic like she is in the CHICK path, she's actually explored a lot more and has an interesting relationship with you with give and takes. If you don't like Maya and go down the DIK path, using her services, your interests align with Quinn a lot more than not. Tommy has no such benefit.

Thus, while they're both very similar if you make a basic outline for them, Quinn and Tommy end up being presented as different by the story itself and that influenced players emotions and feelings about them accordingly, and I think that's perfectly fine. It shows DCP made a good job at directing how you should feel about the characters he writes without telling you directly so.

Last edited:

Idontknowme

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2016

To this day I was not aware that Quinn gets a lot of sad music in her scenes since I play with the music turned off. And I must tell y'all that DPC is totally gaming you with this one. Like ename144 over here, I do not find Quinn sympathetic at all. And until this revelation I could not fathom why so many of you wanted to 'save' her. I think the situation is somehow similar to how you find certain jokes in sitcoms funnier if there is a laugh track.

Jimayo

Jan 1, 2018
Just how hard is it to admit that we give Quinn a free pass because we aren't solely thinking with our brains when it comes to her? Stop trying to justify it, the world won't end if we're all a little bit of hypocrites sometimes, it's fine.:D
True dat. She is an abhorrent human being. And unlike others I have never had any interest in her romantically. Though I'm happy to fuck her on the roof(for the hell week board that, at that point complicating your fucked up love life more seems stupid).

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020

there is another difference between the two characters. Tommy's behavior is understandable, of course we don't know all his motivations, but why he behaves this way is pretty clear.
Quinn is portrayed as the criminal mastermind behind every university traffic, but is continually crushed by the weight of this lack of money that affects virtually every choice she makes. and would she do all this to get rich? well, obviously it's not going the way she expected.

in the end she may turn out worse than she appears, but for now she is a soul in pain, who never stops but doesn't seem to have much to enjoy.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Ya so far I can't figure out what to make of Quinn. Throughout the game she's mostly been presented as antagonistic (the main exception I can think of is the roof scene), as if DPC is trying to make sure the audience has a mostly negative view of her. My suspicions, which could certainly be wrong I'll admit, are that DPC is setting us up to have a certain view of the character, so that he can then potentially pull the rug out from under us later by showing us a completely different side of Quinn. I suspect her involvement with these dealers is somehow forced or coerced, etc to at least some degree. Possibly because of a personal or a familial relationship with one or more of them; maybe she owes them, or is just trying to take care of them for some reason, etc. I personally hope we get an opportunity to white knight a little for Quinn with our actions in-game.

I've always enjoyed that trope of doing something really nice for someone who isn't particularly friendly in a story and then seeds of a relationship begin to develop because the unfriendly person is only unfriendly due to not really having many "good" relationships in the past, or carrying some degree of emotional baggage. I found her reaction noteworthy if MC tries to kiss her in her room if you stay at Sage's in Episode 4. That's a girl who is damaged emotionally (IMO) and doesn't know how to process empathy and positive emotional attachment and as a result rejects it even though there's an instinctual desire for it. I'd be curious to see how something might develop with Quinn if given the opportunity - could a relationship develop, and if so, could the MC influence her in a positive way to push her toward stopping what she's into...

Something to add is just to imagine a situation where, maybe the MC finds himself in a position to help Quinn out in some way due to finding out some pretty private stuff about her setup and from that point forward they develop a new level of closeness that only they know about and as a result the other characters in the game who are used to seeing them have outright animosity toward each other when together now start seeing them actually friendly with each other and around each other more. Talk about creating extra drama if Josy & Maya see MC around Quinn more, lol.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017
True dat. She is an abhorrent human being. And unlike others I have never had any interest in her romantically. Though I'm happy to fuck her on the roof(for the hell week board that, at that point complicating your fucked up love life more seems stupid).
Not to sound ungrateful but what exactly do we agree on here?:D Maybe what I said came off differently than intended, I do like Quinn and I absolutely will pursue her on my DIK playthroughs, romantically or otherwise. I simply see no reason to turn a blind eye to her moral bankruptcy in order to justify my interest in her.

Bill_Buttlicker

Jul 13, 2018
To this day I was not aware that Quinn gets a lot of sad music in her scenes since I play with the music turned off. And I must tell y'all that DPC is totally gaming you with this one. Like ename144 over here, I do not find Quinn sympathetic at all. And until this revelation I could not fathom why so many of you wanted to 'save' her. I think the situation is somehow similar to how you find certain jokes in sitcoms funnier if there is a laugh track.
Agreed. She's been using people left and right. Also being involved with selling drugs and enticing her frat mates into prostitution doesn't really paint her as a sympathetic person. More an opportunist. And....she ugly :sick:

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
I don’t see any reason to doubt the notion quinn’s entrepreneurial businesses money is going towards girls. Tommy on the other hand is a complete freeloader.

Last edited:

Blades1138

Jul 29, 2017
Well that certainly explains a few things. I've never seen a shred of remorse or even internal conflict in Quinn's behavior, so I'm totally puzzled why a lot of people seem to think she has sympathetic motivation. Hidden motivation she has in spades, but it's quite probably self-serving. I'm not sure if people are also mistaking one for the other here.

Agreed. She's been using people left and right. Also being involved with selling drugs and enticing her frat mates into prostitution doesn't really paint her as a sympathetic person. More an opportunist. And....she ugly :sick:
I wouldn't call her ugly, she has more of a alternative appeal thing going on. She gives off a 'very naughty girl' vibe, which is enough to cajole a horizontal dance or two, but relationship material she is not.

Reactions: Idontknowme

Meushi

Aug 4, 2017
Hey can someone help out, ever since I reinstalled Windows I keep getting this for this and some other games I had on my previous system and they ran normally. How do I fix this? I thought it was extraction problem but turns it aint. It probably works if I open it from zip file but screw that since it takes ages to repack and open every time. Help out please.
View attachment 814780 View attachment 814781
it looks like you are missing 'lib' folder, it contains all those dll files.
where i get that
It's unlikely you're missing the lib folder, it will be one of the folders above BeingADIK.exe that you've cropped out of that image.

You've already identified the solution though: It probably works if I open it from zip file.

I'd be surprised if any Ren'Py game ran from inside the archive -

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh G. Rection
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes