SoraNiUteba

May 18, 2019
Are you seriously suggesting that students in a college setting would normally use the phrase "next year" meaning the next calendar year instead of the clearly obvious meaning of next school year? Really?:D
Yes, I'd assume if she was a 3rd year she would say ''I'm graduating next semester" not "next year". So she's in her 4th year and will graduate months later.
Besides it wouldn't make sense for her to be a 3rd year, she was shown as president of HOTs in DIKs flashback where Tommy and Rusty were 1st years. Tommy and Rusty are now 4th years, so Sage should be too.

I don't get why Jill was at the preps mansion at the time, she's currently a 3rd year so she shouldn't be in college during the flashback. I assume she's applying or scouting the preps for a place to stay when she comes to the college next semester.

Sep 22, 2017
Yes, I'd assume if she was a 3rd year she would say ''I'm graduating next semester" not "next year". So she's in her 4th year and will graduate months later.
Given that the Fall semester just started, saying "I'm graduating next semester" would literally mean she's in her 4th year, since that next semester is the Spring one, exactly when people normally graduate. If that was the line I would've never assumed she wasn't a senior in the first place.

Heather's comment most likely still settles the debate but you got that first part a little backwards.:D

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Are you seriously suggesting that students in a college setting would normally use the phrase "next year" meaning the next calendar year instead of the clearly obvious meaning of next school year? Really?:D
In this context, "year" can have a double meaning as it can refer to both the academic year and calendar year. Oftentimes people will use it to mean the same thing, so if someone were to say something along the lines of, "this is my final year so I'll be graduating next year", then they're using that double meaning. Sage doesn't say the first part, but it always felt clear to me that when she said she was, "graduating next year", that she meant the next calendar year and that this was her final year because this is how I've known people to speak about this kind of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wizard_Shiryuu

SoraNiUteba

May 18, 2019
Given that the Fall semester just started, saying "I'm graduating next semester" would literally mean she's in her 4th year, since that next semester is the Spring one, exactly when people normally graduate. If that was the line I would've never assumed she wasn't a senior in the first place.

Heather's comment most likely still settles the debate but you got that first part a little backwards.:D
Fair enough, we don't use the term semester here in the UK. I assumed it meant next school year, not term. The dialogue really is a language barrier

Reactions: SPACE_BOOOOOST

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah, Sage probably should have said, "in the spring," or "next semester" instead of next year. That's how I've heard people in the U.S. say it (but I never really took note of the specific in-game location for B&R). I recently replayed chapter 5 and Sage herself says that she is a senior during her guitar lesson in the grass with MC. I don't have a screenshot of it though.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Fair enough, we don't use the term semester here in the UK. I assumed it meant next school year, not term. The dialogue really is a language barrier
Semester and term are kind of the same thing as they refer to a particular block of time within the academic year. The main difference, I believe, is that "semester" refers to each full half of the academic year (the Fall semester that ends before Christmas and the Spring semester than runs to the end of the school year), and "term" refers to smaller chunks within the school year, like how the first half up to Christmas is divided into 1st term, half-term, and then 2nd term.

Even with that, "term" seems to generally be used more formally by teachers, news reporters, and politicians, because when I was in school we students would more typically use "year" as a double meaning which is what Sage would seem to be doing here.

Yeah, Sage probably should have said, "in the spring," or "next semester" instead of next year. That's how I've heard people in the U.S. say it (but I never really took note of the specific in-game location for B&R). I recently replayed chapter 5 and Sage herself says that she is a senior during her guitar lesson in the grass with MC. I don't have a screenshot of it though.
It could be a difference in the cultural way of speaking because I know from my own experience that students here in the UK generally use "year" to mean both the school year and calendar year as in the phrase, "this is my final year so I'll be graduating next year". Perhaps the Swedes have a similar parlance to those in the UK, hence why DPC wrote it that way.

Reactions: SoraNiUteba
Sep 22, 2017
I'm starting to think my brain is intentionally blocking information it doesn't want to see; the episode ending guitar lesson is literally my favorite scene in the entire game and I've never noticed that line. :FacePalm:
In this context, "year" can have a double meaning as it can refer to both the academic year and calendar year. Oftentimes people will use it to mean the same thing, so if someone were to say something along the lines of, "this is my final year so I'll be graduating next year", then they're using that double meaning. Sage doesn't say the first part, but it always felt clear to me that when she said she was, "graduating next year", that she meant the next calendar year and that this was her final year because this how I've known people to speak about this kind of thing.
Yeah, like I said, I've never considered it could mean the other thing because we don't use it that way in the context of college/university, unless it's spelled out like your "this is my final year so I'll be graduating next year" example to avoid confusion. Now I'm really hoping there won't be any large time jumps and the story wraps up before the "what will happen next year?" question comes up and becomes another obstacle. I'll just be here, neck-deep in denial and happy.:whistle:

• Sad
Reactions: Esp``

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
It could be a difference in the cultural way of speaking because I know from my own experience that students here in the UK generally use "year" to mean both the school year and calendar year as in the phrase, "this is my final year so I'll be graduating next year". Perhaps the Swedes have a similar parlance to those in the UK, hence why DPC wrote it that way.
also in Italy, and I must say that sometimes it creates misunderstandings

Reactions: CynicalBstrd

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Yeah, like I said, I've never considered it could mean the other thing because we don't use it that way in the context of college/university, unless it's spelled out like your "this is my final year so I'll be graduating next year" example to avoid confusion. Now I'm really hoping there won't be any large time jumps and the story wraps up before the "what will happen next year?" question comes up and becomes another obstacle. I'll just be here, neck-deep in denial and happy.:whistle:
For me, that's how people I've known have talked and to give another example, if I were to speak to someone who was a student now and they said to me, "I graduate next year", and I said to them, "so that means you're in your last year?", they'd surely say "yes" because that's how people tend to talk here.

also in Italy, and I must say that sometimes it creates misunderstandings
Must be a European thing then and DPC being Swedish would explain why it's written that way.

Sep 22, 2017
For me, that's how people I've known have talked and to give another example, if I were to speak to someone who was a student now and they said to me, "I graduate next year", and I said to them, "so that means you're in your last year?", they'd surely say "yes" because that's how people tend to talk here.
Fair enough, different cultures have different methods of composition and self-expression, I get that. In Sage's place I would've just said "next semester" instead, since that - to my knowledge at least - always refers to those two roughly similar length periods that every school year consists of and can't be misinterpreted.

Inb4 someone reveals that semesters are completely different things in their country and nothing will make sense anymore.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
And thats why BADIK needs a codex with the age of the characters, year of college, etc...
if there is not this info in the section with the profiles of the different characters it is probably because in reality there is no need.
as lemonfreak often repeats it is very likely that the whole story takes place in a much shorter time period than the school year, so whether or not Sage is in the final year will have a relative importance

Reactions: lemonfreak

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
Fair enough, different cultures have different methods of composition and self-expression, I get that. In Sage's place I would've just said "next semester" instead, since that - to my knowledge at least - always refers to those two roughly similar length periods that every school year consists of and can't be misinterpreted.

Inb4 someone reveals that semesters are completely different things in their country and nothing will make sense anymore.
And so, in response to previous reply to me, yes, I am suggesting that she might use calender and academic year interchangeably because, as Brit, that's how I talk ;)

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
Besides it wouldn't make sense for her to be a 3rd year, she was shown as president of HOTs in DIKs flashback where Tommy and Rusty were 1st years. Tommy and Rusty are now 4th years, so Sage should be too.

I don't get why Jill was at the preps mansion at the time, she's currently a 3rd year so she shouldn't be in college during the flashback. I assume she's applying or scouting the preps for a place to stay when she comes to the college next semester.
Tommy & Rusty are now 3rd year students not 4th. They started DIK with Nick & Vinny in year 1 (while Sage & Tybalt were already presidents in their 2nd year). Jacob, JB, Jamie, & Leon joined in Year 2. MC & Derek are the Year 3 guys.

4th year - Sage, Tybalt
3rd year - Tommy, Rusty, Nick, Vinny, Jill
2nd year - Jacob, JB, Jamie, Leon
1st year - MC, Derek

Sep 22, 2017
Tommy & Rusty are now 3rd year students not 4th. They started DIK with Nick & Vinny in year 1 (while Sage & Tybalt were already presidents in their 2nd year). Jacob, JB, Jamie, & Leon joined in Year 2. MC & Derek are the Year 3 guys.

4th year - Sage, Tybalt
3rd year - Tommy, Rusty, Nick, Vinny, Jill
2nd year - Jacob, JB, Jamie, Leon
1st year - MC, Derek
Jacob and John Boy can't be in the same year with Jamie and Leon if the DIKs only take 2 freshmen into their ranks per year so since Jacob already specified that he lost the cum-petition last year, Jamie and Leon must be from a year before that, which makes Tommy, Rusty and Nick seniors. Also, Vinny was expelled so he's not there at all.

Reactions: SoraNiUteba

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Jacob and John Boy can't be in the same year with Jamie and Leon if the DIKs only take 2 freshmen into their ranks per year so since Jacob already specified that he lost the cum-petition last year, Jamie and Leon must be from a year before that, which makes Tommy, Rusty and Nick seniors. Also, Vinny was expelled so he's not there at all.
They take them by pairs, but not neccesarily only 2 per year. That's never stated

Reactions: ExDeath730

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
When did it say DIK only takes 2 per year? The initiation only mentioned that maggots can only join in pairs.

And yes I know Vinny was expelled and not there. I should have been more clear and wrote he was part of the "Year 1" founders like Tommy, Rusty, & Nick.

Sep 22, 2017
They take them by pairs, but not neccesarily only 2 per year. That's never stated
When did it say DIK only takes 2 per year? The initiation only mentioned that maggots can only join in pairs.
Tommy claims "we're not accepting more and we're not accepting less" at the start of the cum-petition but yes, it's a line that directly follows the "pairwise testing" one so technically it doesn't mean there can only be one pair a year, that's true.

This really just reaffirms the need for an official codex because so much is not stated clearly and we end up debating semantics.

4.80 star(s) 1,527 Votes