Elsie Bray

May 31, 2019
In contrast to that, I enjoy the current level of drama in BaDIK, and don't really get why people keep getting worked up about supposed bad writing. And if someone dies, as long as it's not a ridiculously contrived scenario (and I know how subjective that is and this forum will erupt if it happens), I'm OK with that.
I don't mind the drama either. But sometimes it feels so convenient, like it could easily be avoided, those times make it seem like DPC is creating drama for the sake of just drama, without thinking too much about it. But overall writing is still great

Reactions: Bubba McSmith

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
The only thing that really bothers me in a visual novel is when there is absolutely no option to save an LI, i.e. they are predestined to die. And having to choose to save only one of two girls is also shite. I don't mind DPC or other devs including bad endings for characters based upon the choices your MC made, but if you do everything "right" then you should be able to save them; otherwise, it just seems like a dev fucking with you for no other reason than sadism. I know bad things happen to people in real life, but this is an AVN game centering around love interests. Throw me a bone here.

In ME2 for example, you can save all of your companions if you've done everything right. If you didn't, then some of them may not make it. That's what I'd like to see with characters like Quinn and Bella, and I seriously hope I don't have to worry about saving my beloved Sage from death. Don't do that to me, man. 2020 has been shitty enough, don't I deserve some small amount of joy in 2021?
I generally agree, but I think there can be times when unavoidable character death works. The most pertinent example I can think of is Depraved Awakening.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

So I definitely do not recommend killing characters as a matter of course, but I do think it should be considered under the right circumstances. Speaking of the wrong circumstances...

But the AL twist was set up from the beginning, it's just most people didn't see the signs or were sidetracked by other events.

In BaDIK, if Quinn suddenly died from a lightning strike or, even more common, a car crash, it wouldn't serve as an acceptable scenario because it's too random (even though it happens all the time in the real world), but if she died due to drug related violence, or if Maya's dad brought a gun and started threatening Maya and Josy and accidentally shot someone, or if Riona moved on to some harder drugs and overdosed, as much as we don't want these things to happen, they would fit into the narrative, and there have been constant dramatic events among all the humor and sex, so it's not misplaced to extend the drama to a tragic event.
I think AL's twist was intended from the start, but it certainly was not properly set up.

I wasn't a big fan of AL. I didn't like the mc much, didn't like the girls much, and once he went into therapy I totally lost interest, simply because the death of Melissa did nothing to me, my mc wasn't in a relationship with her and I didn't even get a choice to save her, the mc only had the option to save Megan, so I was never forced to make that critical decision that upset so many people, therefore the therapy scenes of the mc were way too dramatic for my liking. In contrast to that, I enjoy the current level of drama in BaDIK, and don't really get why people keep getting worked up about supposed bad writing. And if someone dies, as long as it's not a ridiculously contrived scenario (and I know how subjective that is and this forum will erupt if it happens), I'm OK with that.
I definitely agree with you about the therapy sessions at the end of AL.

I half agree with you about BaDIK. The current drama levels are good. But whether I'd be okay with someone dying depends a lot on who it is and how it's done. By in large, I don't think screwball college comedies are a good place to leverage character deaths; I think you lose more storytelling options by killing a character than you gain. These are young kids at the beginning of their lives, it shouldn't take matters of life and death to change their ways, and it's hard not to dwell on all the lost potential there.

That said, if the death flows organically from the story, if it advances the overall plot and characterization of the remaining cast while also providing a fitting capstone to the dead character's arc, then yeah, I could go with it.

I'd just be really sad about it. (Really, really sad if it was Maya or Josy.)

Last edited:

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
How much contet is in the game anybody know?
10,000+ renders, hundreds of animations, several branching paths, at least 10 hours worth of gameplay on a single runthrough on one path..basically, there's a shit ton of content and we're probably only halfway through the story.

Reactions: Garrett Hawke

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
I don't think screwball college comedies are a good place to leverage character deaths
Yes. This was the point I was thinking about but didn't make. If you're in a sci-fi adventure trying to save Earth from evil alien invaders and an LI dies...sure I get it, but BaDIK is, as you stated, a screwball college comedy. I can maaaaaybe see Quinn dying with Riona as collateral damage. Perhaps Bella too. I can't see any good reason for any of the other girls dying, especially not Sage (do you hear me DPC?? ;)). I still think that since this a love-based visual novel (not a kinetic novel), our choices should matter and we should have the option to save a particular girl if we made the appropriate choices.

As much as I try to focus on an excellent overall story more than a short, bad ending, if Sage ends up dying I will be heartsick beyond compare. I'd still play DPC's next game, but I would be a grumpy mess.

Reactions: ename144

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Dude,
I get your point of respectful disagreement, so here I go.
DPC can not write the story that matches his quality renders. He ruined AL. He is ruining BaDIK. He is tremendous at doing his renders. He is milking his Patrons, doing bullshit like the fluffy last update. We could do without all of that crap, and honestly I guarantee it wouldn't hurt one bit.
AL was contrived bullshit. BaDIK is heading the same way. I do so wish that DPC was actually still reading this stuff, but one of his moles does and they tell him the temperature of the water here. I think that if he found a good writer, and he stuck just to the artwork, he would be much more successful. Now fanbois are going to come facepalms ready, and that is ok, but it is true. There are so many other stories being displayed here on this board that are better than BaDIK. I could care less if he ever updates it again. Ok wait, I do want a full sex sequence with Bella, then I could give a shit. :D
Peace
To weigh up all the components that make this game I'd say the following:
  • Activities: The Mathematics and English games are old now, I can't be bothered with them. I still like the fighting game but it's not used in-game much. The drinking and painting and cleaning games are fine as they don't take long to complete (although I've read some people are having trouble with them). I like the mansion repair game, not sure if it's something that will be completed during the next chapter, having it drag on too long might be annoying. Rooster & Swyper were great, I feel they dipped in quality during ep.6. It'd be nice to see them pick up again. D&G for all its controversy was fun for me. I've discussed numerous times how subtle changes could have improved the vibe, but I definitely don't hate it.
  • Art: The art is great. The nuanced looks, are what I like the most, however there are definitely cases of inconstancy (Jill for example is a total Jekyll and Hyde).
  • Characterizations: I'd say the characters are great. Some are cliched but all are convincing. The characters are unique from each other and don't feel like one man is channeling himself through multiple characters. Plenty of games out there have multiple characters sounding the same just looking different.
  • Comedy: Most of the comedy hits home really well. I've laughed out loud numerous times and I can't recall thinking that any of the comical attempts fell flat.
  • Dialogue: I find the dialogue is very good. It flows well and keeps me reading, does a great job of accompanying the visuals without the requirement of a narrator spelling everything out. I mentioned recently that this is something I really like about this game.
  • Music: I think the music's absolutely great. Totally suits each scene, and suits the overall genre quite well. I even listen to the soundtrack while working (often though, the music doesn't have to be good to be enjoyed if it makes you think of things you like - so I imagine I like the music mainly because of the game, but that's a good endorsement of the game).
  • Relationships: I feel the relationships are all progressing well at different rates (as would be realistic) and there's nothing formulaic about them. So many games have a simple formula to follow in order to bed each characters where that is not the case here, and perhaps that's frustrating for some people since they don't have full control over the progression through to various rewards, but I like the slow burn. Watching relationships develop in the game is a lot of fun and it will be a shame when all of them have reached their pinnacle, so the slow pace is welcome. If the MC had already fucked every love interest there'd be less to look forward to.
  • Sex scenes: I think they are really good. There are some really standout scenes for me (Sage after the movie night, Nicole & Sandy).
  • Story: The story is as much the development of each relationship as it is the overarching plot. We don't know exactly where the plot is going, and people are getting worked up over ideas that are only theories at the moment. So far the plot is definitely more convoluted than the average person's time at college. Numerous LIs seem to have a pile of baggage for the MC to wade through, and nothing is straight forward or simple. So we're talking daytime soap level of drama, but it works for me, keeping the game intriguing. The only serious complaint I keep hearing about the plot is that if certain readers don't like certain characters it becomes tedious being forced to stay in a relationship with those characters and that the story is contrived to maintain those relationships. Fair argument, but in my opinion that argument is not strong enough to detract from every other great aspect of this game.
Obviously every single component I've described above is highly subjective, but most people who play this game love it, so I imagine DPC is doing most things well. I think it's very wrong to suggest DPC is milking his patrons. From the sounds of it he's working very hard on this game, a labor of love you may say. I understand a lot of people don't like the Patreon model, tending towards developers stringing along their projects to continue receiving an income, and I'm sure there are heaps of developers doing just that, but I doubt it's working out real well for them (I know of at least one developer who hasn't provided an update for a year and is still receiving a ridiculous amount of money and that obviously doesn't sit well with a lot people, but unless he's taking your money you've got nothing to complain about). But if you're a talented developer (and I'm going to say DPC is very talented), he'll start another project before the completion of this one so he'll have a reason for fans to keep supporting him.

And from my perspective, I haven't played another game from this forum that I've enjoyed more than BaDIK.

horusxcaen82

Mar 20, 2018
so I just finished the first episode again this time I am doing a good boi play through seeing if I can get massive chick status. my plan this time, knowing what I know from my 1st play through is going to be interesting, I am going to try for the "lets be friends" option with Maya and Josy, hopefully with some sort of resolution in later episodes where I can choose between them, or not I might try to romance Jill who knows lol.

Reactions: shazba

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
I generally agree, but I think there can be times when unavoidable character death works. The most pertinent example I can think of is Depraved Awakening.

So I definitely do not recommend killing characters as a matter of course, but I do think it should be considered under the right circumstances. Speaking of the wrong circumstances...

I think AL's twist was intended from the start, but it certainly was not properly set up.

I definitely agree with you about the therapy sessions at the end of AL.

I half agree with you about BaDIK. The current drama levels are good. But whether I'd be okay with someone dying depends a lot on who it is and how it's done. By in large, I don't think screwball college comedies are a good place to leverage character deaths; I think you lose more storytelling options by killing a character than you gain. These are young kids at the beginning of their lives, it shouldn't take matters of life and death to change their ways, and it's hard not to dwell on all the lost potential there.

That said, if the death flows organically from the story, if it advances the overall plot and characterization of the remaining cast while also providing a fitting capstone to the dead character's arc, then yeah, I could go with it.

Yes. This was the point I was thinking about but didn't make. If you're in a sci-fi adventure trying to save Earth from evil alien invaders and an LI dies...sure I get it, but BaDIK is, as you stated, a screwball college comedy. I can maaaaaybe see Quinn dying with Riona as collateral damage. Perhaps Bella too. I can't see any good reason for any of the other girls dying, especially not Sage (do you hear me DPC?? ;)). I still think that since this a love-based visual novel (not a kinetic novel), our choices should matter and we should have the option to save a particular girl if we made the appropriate choices.

As much as I try to focus on an excellent overall story more than a short, bad ending, if Sage ends up dying I will be heartsick beyond compare. I'd still play DPC's next game, but I would be a grumpy mess.

I've already determined the potential deaths for each character. Possibly it bears repeating:
  • Anthony's and Arieth will both forget to keep breathing and suffocate
  • Caleb is going to hit something with his fist (rather than flick them with his finger) and they'll die on the spot
  • Camila's ass will explode
  • Cathy will drive off into the sunset crying and die in a car accident
  • Chad will get beaten to death by all the homophobic jocks when they find out the truth about him
  • Bella will snap and go on a killing spree
  • Jade will cut her husbands prick off and he'll bleed out
  • Lynette's already dead
  • Magnar will think he's impervious to wedgies until Caleb decapitates him with an overzealous wedgie.
  • Maya's dad will honor kill her
  • Melanie will spontaneously combust because she is too hot
  • Mona will be killed by Burke because he's afraid she's going to blackmail him for the attempted solicited sex with a student (this will be before he bleeds out from Jade's fury).
  • Quinn will be knifed in an alley way somewhere
  • Rich will die from accidentally snorting heroin thinking it's cocaine (and no one has an adrenaline shot handy)
  • Riona will also die from an overdose and I can't re-use Rich's scenario so I'll leave it at that
  • Can't think of a fitting way for Sage to die, so maybe she'll be a final girl
  • Sally will die from heart break after Magnar's death
  • Sarah will die from being bitch-slapped by the MC for asking for cash when we know she wants that schlong

horusxcaen82

Mar 20, 2018
Sir, I hope you have a strong constitution. It's going to be a loooong time before that comes to fruition.
whats funny is that I did something similar in real life and it paid off

I've already determined the potential deaths for each character. Possibly it bears repeating:
  • Anthony's and Arieth will both forget to keep breathing and suffocate
  • Caleb is going to hit something with his fist (rather than flick them with his finger) and they'll die on the spot
  • Camila's ass will explode
  • Cathy will drive off into the sunset crying and die in a car accident
  • Chad will get beaten to death by all the homophobic jocks when they find out the truth about him
  • Bella will snap and go on a killing spree
  • Jade will cut her husbands prick off and he'll bleed out
  • Lynette's already dead
  • Magnar will think he's impervious to wedgies until Caleb decapitates him with an overzealous wedgie.
  • Maya's dad will honor kill her
  • Melanie will spontaneously combust because she is too hot
  • Mona will be killed by Burke because he's afraid she's going to blackmail him for the attempted solicited sex with a student (this will be before he bleeds out from Jade's fury).
  • Quinn will be knifed in an alley way somewhere
  • Rich will die from accidentally snorting heroin thinking it's cocaine (and no one has an adrenaline shot handy)
  • Riona will also die from an overdose and I can't re-use Rich's scenario so I'll leave it at that
  • Can't think of a fitting way for Sage to die, so maybe she'll be a final girl
  • Sally will die from heart break after Magnar's death
  • Sarah will die from being bitch-slapped by the MC for asking for cash when we know she wants that schlong
no Josy death? hmmm

Mar 16, 2020

I think it's worth noting there are pretty clear scenes that have already occurred that switch from the boner comedy aspect. The most obvious is the drug storyline that is now involving harder drugs. The other two that come to mind, "free tuition" and Maya's relationship with her father, obviously have bad indications as well. Imo it makes more sense to have the most trauma relate to the drug dealing, just because we've already seen indications of violence and abuse there.

If people were upset at the dev's previous game for not having enough foreshadowing, I feel that (having now played this game all the way through) there has been a reasonable amount of hints that bad things could happen and not be a total surprise.

If it's any consolation, I'm right with you on the Sage route. I'm hopeful that even if crazy stuff happens, the players will probably get the choice to have a happy ending with their chosen LI. It might mean all the other LI's have unhappy endings, but ideally you'll still get a nice conclusion to whichever character you focused your route on.

Reactions: Garrett Hawke

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018

No matter what genre a game is, no LI should ever die, especially when you can do nothing about it as in the case with AL. Sure, some people might have preferred one over the other, but for those who wanted both (of which I'm sure they were many) it's a massive blow that can be hard to get over.

If a game explicitly sets up the possibility of a relationship, whether it's with one or more characters, you just don't take that away from people in an unpreventable way. If a relationship ends it should either because of a choice by the player to not pursue or continue it, or because they screwed it up by making wrong choices or by being unfaithful with a LI who wanted them to be faithful.

So hopefully DPC won't do what they did in AL, even if they still are proud of how AL went.

last time DPC mentioned an episode count he said he would be surprised if he did less than 4 seasons (16 Episodes)
Things have changed a bit since then. They've since said things after that which suggest it could be just 12 episodes or even as little as 10, so the 16 episode estimate now seems like it might be out of contention.

Reactions: Kellermann

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
I think it's worth noting there are pretty clear scenes that have already occurred that switch from the boner comedy aspect.
Yeah, and he needs to cut that shit out.

If people were upset at the dev's previous game for not having enough foreshadowing, I feel that (having now played this game all the way through) there has been a reasonable amount of hints that bad things could happen and not be a total surprise.
I know it's coming and I'm still upset. I'm already addicted so I can't bow out now even if I wanted to.

I'm hopeful that even if crazy stuff happens, the players will probably get the choice to have a happy ending with their chosen LI.
That's all I ask. :cry:

• Sad
Reactions: felicemastronzo

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
If a game explicitly sets up the possibility of a relationship, whether it's with one or more characters, you just don't take that away from people in an unpreventable way. If a relationship ends it should either because of a choice by the player to not pursue or continue it, or because they screwed it up by making wrong choices or by being unfaithful with a LI who wanted them to be faithful.
s.jpg

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes