shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
The only thing that really bothers me in a visual novel is when there is absolutely no option to save an LI, i.e. they are predestined to die. And having to choose to save only one of two girls is also shite. I don't mind DPC or other devs including bad endings for characters based upon the choices your MC made, but if you do everything "right" then you should be able to save them; otherwise, it just seems like a dev fucking with you for no other reason than sadism. I know bad things happen to people in real life, but this is an AVN game centering around love interests. Throw me a bone here.

In ME2 for example, you can save all of your companions if you've done everything right. If you didn't, then some of them may not make it. That's what I'd like to see with characters like Quinn and Bella, and I seriously hope I don't have to worry about saving my beloved Sage from death. Don't do that to me, man. 2020 has been shitty enough, don't I deserve some small amount of joy in 2021?
I like tragedy and dark endings. That stuff sticks with you and haunts you for a while afterwards, happy endings are so forgettable. That being said, tragedy for tragedy's sake is not good. If it feels forced or mega-contrived, you just get pissed off and lose interest.

I don't think Acting Lessons' tragedy was forced (others disagree, I know that, but it's more because they didn't like that it happened, not because it was forced), but if BaDIK starts having majorly tragic events unfolding it'll probably just feel cheap and DPC will have stereotyped himself (people keep saying shit like, "knowing DPC he'll..." or, "DPC likes to..." - he's completed one game, his games don't have a pattern yet).

horusxcaen82

Mar 20, 2018
ok so I just woke up from a weird dream, and now my thought process on Maya being endgame has wavered, I have a feeling Josy will be endgame possibly depending on how things go, catching up with the thread from lastnight, while Josy maybe the one in trouble going into ep7 I have a feeling Maya's dad is going to take her to one of those "pray the gay way" camps and MC, Josy, and Derek will have to rescue her, maybe with the MC confronting her dad making him see the light so to speak on how she truly does care about Josy and that he should let them be .. (or he could punch him in the dick and they make a break for it).

Bella, while I haven't delved too much into that storyline, I feel like maybe there are parts of the MC that remind her of her dead/seperated/ghost Husband, maybe thats why she feels like she does I dunno, maybe someone can help me with this theory or not.

and what my weird dream was, I was playing the game and I had a totally neutral play through events still happened as the do, but the MC goes rogue, where he's like screw these frats and the HOTS I'm carving my own path, where he survives being persued by the 3 frats all while dicking the HOTS the Maya, Josy situation was there but it was mostly " we care about each other but we care about you more, so we are friends now and hope you choose one of us" which is silly and would be too odd.

man eating pizza at midnight should not be a thing.

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
I like tragedy and dark endings. That stuff sticks with you and haunts you for a while afterwards, happy endings are so forgettable. That being said, tragedy for tragedy's sake is not good. If it feels forced or mega-contrived, you just get pissed off and lose interest.

I don't think Acting Lessons' tragedy was forced (others disagree, I know that, but it's more because they didn't like that it happened, not because it was forced), but if BaDIK starts having majorly tragic events unfolding it'll probably just feel cheap and DPC will have stereotyped himself (people keep saying shit like, "knowing DPC he'll..." or, "DPC likes to..." - he's completed one game, his games don't have a pattern yet).
if you mean the death of a more or less important character I agree with you, I would have no problems

if you talk about serial killers - nurses without ethics - arsonist capable of anything, no, I would say that I disagree

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
ok so I just woke up from a weird dream, and now my thought process on Maya being endgame has wavered, I have a feeling Josy will be endgame possibly depending on how things go, catching up with the thread from lastnight, while Josy maybe the one in trouble going into ep7 I have a feeling Maya's dad is going to take her to one of those "pray the gay way" camps and MC, Josy, and Derek will have to rescue her, maybe with the MC confronting her dad making him see the light so to speak on how she truly does care about Josy and that he should let them be .. (or he could punch him in the dick and they make a break for it).

Bella, while I haven't delved too much into that storyline, I feel like maybe there are parts of the MC that remind her of her dead/seperated/ghost Husband, maybe thats why she feels like she does I dunno, maybe someone can help me with this theory or not.

and what my weird dream was, I was playing the game and I had a totally neutral play through events still happened as the do, but the MC goes rogue, where he's like screw these frats and the HOTS I'm carving my own path, where he survives being persued by the 3 frats all while dicking the HOTS the Maya, Josy situation was there but it was mostly " we care about each other but we care about you more, so we are friends now and hope you choose one of us" which is silly and would be too odd.

man eating pizza at midnight should not be a thing.
Yeah, you might be a little obsessed here... just saying. ;)

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
if you mean the death of a more or less important character I agree with you, I would have no problems

if you talk about serial killers - nurses without ethics - arsonist capable of anything, no, I would say that I disagree
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

horusxcaen82

Mar 20, 2018
Yeah, you might be a little obsessed here... just saying. ;)
when is that ever a bad thing :p I actually thought about the MC rejecting all of the frats even before I truly got started with the game, when he's out there naked in front of the DIK Mansion and hes all dejected then going into hiding and then making a decision of " if they dont want me fine, but they'll wish they did" its a what if head cannon I had, kinda want to write it out maybe get all of my thoughts on paper, I dunno.

Gunizz

Aug 9, 2017
Sorry if I say this again but if we agree that DPC gives hints about the future plot development, I go further thinking D&G is showing us the possible endings. It seems strange to me that it had no other purpose than fill our time with a random medieval story and a few lewd renderings. The endings of D&G really show us things that can really happen in the main story, who could get killed, who could be the killers.

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Even being struck by lightning is something that happens, but if Quinn died like that it would be bullshit. the fact that it can actually happen doesn't really matter.
But the AL twist was set up from the beginning, it's just most people didn't see the signs or were sidetracked by other events.

In BaDIK, if Quinn suddenly died from a lightning strike or, even more common, a car crash, it wouldn't serve as an acceptable scenario because it's too random (even though it happens all the time in the real world), but if she died due to drug related violence, or if Maya's dad brought a gun and started threatening Maya and Josy and accidentally shot someone, or if Riona moved on to some harder drugs and overdosed, as much as we don't want these things to happen, they would fit into the narrative, and there have been constant dramatic events among all the humor and sex, so it's not misplaced to extend the drama to a tragic event.

I wasn't a big fan of AL. I didn't like the mc much, didn't like the girls much, and once he went into therapy I totally lost interest, simply because the death of Melissa did nothing to me, my mc wasn't in a relationship with her and I didn't even get a choice to save her, the mc only had the option to save Megan, so I was never forced to make that critical decision that upset so many people, therefore the therapy scenes of the mc were way too dramatic for my liking. In contrast to that, I enjoy the current level of drama in BaDIK, and don't really get why people keep getting worked up about supposed bad writing. And if someone dies, as long as it's not a ridiculously contrived scenario (and I know how subjective that is and this forum will erupt if it happens), I'm OK with that.

Last edited:

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Sorry if I say this again but if we agree that DPC gives hints about the future plot development, I go further thinking D&G is showing us the possible endings. It seems strange to me that it had no other purpose than fill our time with a random medieval story and a few lewd renderings. The endings of D&G really show us things that can really happen in the main story, who could get killed, who could be the killers.
so Josy has to die?

until now D&G had only bored me, now I might hate it

shazba

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
so Josy has to die?

until now D&G had only bored me, now I might hate it
I don't think it is a foreshadowing of events to come. Sure, choosing Bella as the Ice Queen is a dig at her demeanor, but that was Magnar's doing. It's just another past time in the game that the characters get up to. Did the tennis game with Jill foreshadow something? Balls flying towards Jill's face perhaps? Did the scrambled English tests signify something, like maybe how messed up Bella's mind is? What about playing guitar with Sage, was the guitar supposed to be ironic because it's a string instrument whereas Sage and the MC's relationship was meant to be "no strings attached"? Perhaps the guitar signified that strings would eventually be attached to their relationship - deep man... I could go on all day about these crazy metaphors, but I don't think any of them were intended.

the same thing happened in my playthrough of D&G, it would be heartbreaking for sure, I'd hate it more for Maya than the MC though.
Unfortunately there isn't a single ending to the D&G where Josy lives...

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
But the AL twist was set up from the beginning, it's just most people didn't see the signs or were sidetracked by other events.

In BaDIK, if Quinn suddenly died from a lightning strike or, even more common, a car crash, it wouldn't serve as an acceptable scenario because it's too random (even though it happens all the time in the real world), but if she died due to drug related violence, or if Maya's dad brought a gun and started threatening Maya and Josy and accidentally shot someone, or if Riona moved on to some harder drugs and overdosed, as much as we don't want these things to happen, they would fit into the narrative, and there have been constant dramatic events among all the humor and sex, so it's not misplaced to extend the drama to a tragic event.

I wasn't a big fan of AL. I didn't like the mc much, didn't like the girls much, and once he went into therapy I totally lost interest, simply because the death of Melissa did nothing to me, my mc wasn't in a relationship with her and I didn't even get a choice to save her, the mc only had the option to save Megan, so I was never forced to make that critical decision that upset so many people, therefore the therapy scenes of the mc were way too dramatic for my liking. In contract to that, I enjoy the current level of drama in BaDIK, and don't really get why people keep getting worked up about supposed bad writing. And if someone dies, as long as it's not a ridiculously contrived scenarion (and I know how subjective that is and this forum will erupt if it happens), I'm OK with that.

you put together two separate considerations of mine

the problem with AL's ending is that it's overly complex, and the fact that it's all Leah's plot takes the drama out of importance instead of adding to it. so it is a wrong turn also from a narrative point of view.

if Quinn dies killed by Vinny it's a drama, if Quinn is killed by Vinny who is actually Burke's black sheep son keeping his father's crime network in order from the outside it's a bad thriller
the fact that it can actually happen doesn't save it from being a bad thriller

Last edited:
4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes