travelman

Dec 14, 2018
Wonder if Cake is aiming for Nov 1st, given the release of 2nd season on steam, having halloween party screenshots to advertise with would fit nicely.

Reactions: John Ness

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018

This week I worked on several different tasks.

I've added art, code, and writing to Rooster/Chats and updated the design of the game menus (Save/Load/Preferences, etc.) to a more modern look that I intend to keep across season 1/2 and season 3 binaries.

I've written more of the missing scenes and posed static renders and a couple of SFW animations for them.

Here is the updated checklist of what's left to do:

Writing tasks that remain:
  • Two scenes of medium length
  • Code for one mini-game
  • Code for previously on Being a DIK screens
  • Code for episode end credits and screens
  • Adding Bios for all events (I always leave this task to last)
Art tasks that remain:
  • Possibly a few SFW (safe for work) animations
  • Render time for the final animation queue, currently 40 animations waiting to render
  • Static renders for four scenes
  • Render time for those static renders
  • GUI elements for one mini-game
Audio tasks that remain:
  • Implementing sound effects for a few scenes
  • Implementing music for a few scenes
(I intend to work on everything above next week and should complete a lot. I will also start playtesting next week.)

Other tasks that remain:
  • Polishing the dialogue and code
  • Playtesting
  • Thorough testing of transferring saves between Season 2 and Season 3 (Steam and Patreon).
  • Double-checking variables
  • Quality control of renders/animations
  • Fixing bugs that I find while testing

The episode is now bigger than episode 7 in almost every regard, and I feel that I'm getting close to having a complete episode that I can polish and test.

I don't say this often enough, but thanks for your continued support!

I'm looking forward to rewarding your patience with one hell of a season finale that will have you talking circles for months to come.

Have a nice weekend

Dr PinkCake
Another week, another near complete lack of data; at least the overall tone was optimistic, even if the results are marginally worse than previously.

Okay, let's try to crunch the number. DPC let slip that 40 animations remain in the queue (plus potentially "a few" SFW animations, call it 40-45 total animations remaining). We know there were 72 animations in the queue on September 17, with an estimated 10-20 still to be posed. All told, this suggests DPC has rendered somewhere in the range of 42-52 animations in the last 3 weeks, an average of 15.7 animations per week. That's not quite as fast as his rate in early September, but it's above the overall average for Episode 8. Here are the charts, though in practice the difference from the last two weeks is pretty subtle.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
No word on statics, but our estimated animation render rate is fairly consistent with recent numbers. That suggests the animation queue has about 2.5-3 weeks of rendering left. If we assume all the other tasks on the checklist can be finished by then (seems fair) and add in three weeks for playtesting, the release would be 2021-11-19 (or 2021-11-12 if everything breaks right). That's probably the best we can hope for until DPC gives us some meaningful numbers.

It's going to be a tough wait, though. DPC sure isn't shy about talking up the big season ender. He was similarly confident in Episode 7 and he delivered with that one (IMHO), so I'm willing to trust his judgement this time. But I really want my Halloween party!

mpa71

Dec 18, 2017
Updated BigTable with the recent informations.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
  • If you also checked the Rooster tracker, and cross with DPC starting playtesting next week; we on the good track.
  • All Markers Still Green, an Halloween release is still very likely achievable.
  • Trivia: as today EP6 and EP8 have the same development time with having more than the double animations count.

EpisodeRendersAnimationsMusic*SizeRelease DateDevelopment Time
Episode 1130151≈1.1 GB07 Feb 2019000 days
Episode 21709 (+31%)77 (+51%)≈2.3 GB (+1.2 GB)04 May 2019087 (2 months, 28 days |≈12 weeks)
Episode 32289 (+34%)99 (+29%)≈4.1 GB (+1.8 GB)16 Aug 2019105 (3 months, 13 days |≈15 weeks)
Episode 42532 (+11%)134 (+35%)≈6.1 GB (+2.0 GB)10 Jan 2020148 (4 months, 26 days |≈21 weeks)
Episode 52456 (-3%)157 (+17%)17 (3.4K$)≈8.0 GB (+1.9 GB)29 May 2020141 (4 months, 20 days |≈20 weeks)
Episode 63336 (+35%)162 (+3%)24 (4.8K$)≈11.1 GB (+3.1 GB)13 Nov 2020169 (5 months, 16 days |≈24 weeks)
Episode 73723 (+12%)250 (+54%)18 (3.6K$)≈14.5 GB (+3.4 GB)23 Apr 2021162 (5 months, 11 days |≈23 weeks)
Episode 8>3605 (≈97%)>355 (+42%)26 (5.2K$)>18.1 GB (+3.6 GB)in development169 (5 months, 16 days |≈24 weeks)
Complete Table with the help of Holy Bacchus† previous post. — Being a DIK in development since 2 years, 8 months, 2 days (32 months / 139 weeks / 975 days / 23,400 hours)
*199$ Premium Licensed Music

> Release Date Estimate:
Delayed Scenario: Late October 2021 (26 weeks) — Growing Scenario: Early November 2021 (28 weeks)

(y)
Thumb up to well made Casiope's DIK Walkthrough

Last edited:

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
When the mc says to Derek, "You know exactly why" I'm sure it's all about the crabs, except it's not likely you'll get crabs from kissing someone, but in Arieth's case, she's already "huba huba"ing up for the MC, so you don't really want to egg her on. :eek:

I don't know if it's cheap and lazy to do that. Considering the lengths DPC went to set the Chad/Troy/Mel triangle up, the various subtle and not so subtle scenes:
  • The information that Troy is an ex-Jock for unknown reasons,
  • Mel or Sarah being an obvious candidate as the "side bitch" but then being on the treadmill during Chad's gym phone sex,
  • This vague discussion between Mel and Sarah when Sage is kissing the mc on the lawn,
  • The blackmail to Chad (that I believe may have come from Mel to force Chad's hand),
  • The numerous references to Mel & Sarah liking gossip, but their seriousness when it comes to Chad's relationship,
  • The flashback scene showing Chad disinterested in puppy dog Sage,
  • The pre-breakup scene with Chad and Sage when she confronts his lack of interest,
  • The exasperation in Chad's face during the breakup,
  • Mel's unhappy reaction to the breakup scene (even though it's what she wanted),
  • The Jocks chatting about Chad's pleasant demeanour since he's left he jocks and his role as president,
  • Mel (and Sarah's) continuing support for Chad after the Sage breakup.
All of the above was to build the Chad, Troy, Mel and Sarah story, and it works if Mel is related to Troy and working towards what she wants for him.

She could also be an ex-girlfriend of Troy's who realised his secret and wants to help him with it, or even just a good friend, but being a family member makes more sense considering Mel doesn't come across as a girl that gives too much of a shit about anything, but family is different.

If Mel is Troy's sister, that's not a ridiculous coincidence, it's a requirement for this story arc to work, it might not have happened if she wasn't involved.

That's very different to Tommy and Josy being step-siblings. Almost nothing in the story hinge on that, so it is just a simple fact in the game. Same goes with Tybalt being Jade's son.

With Maya and Derek, we have a lot of their past presented to us. Their relationship with their father, their trips together (including Josy), and their care towards each other. It's certainly not a lazy plot contrivance.

Your comment earlier, that it would have been better if Maya hosted the mc without the prompting of her brother, I don't agree there.

She knew him for one day, sure they hit it off, but the mc would never have asked her if he could stay with her (he wouldn't have known she had the room). Plus she loved her extra room, it wouldn't make any sense her offering it up to a guy she just met.

Derek had to call on a favour to talk her doing it. Given everything we know about her, if she just outright found out the mc was homeless and offered her space to him, it would have been criticised as unrealistic.

To me, none of the above is lazy, it's actually a well construed sequences of life events. It works because it is what it is. Take one element out and it doesn't work.
But I never said it was a ridiculous choice.... maybe lazy is too negative a term, let's say it's a convenient choice for DPC then.

in the example of Mel, if she turned out to be his ex, DPC would still have to explain it, show us something, instead if she declared to be Troy's sister this would cut out any need to explain the reason of her actions

if we really want in the case it would be ridiculous the need for DPC to overdramatize everything, with Mel having to blackmail her brother's boyfriend to leave a girl he doesn't love (obviously Troy is Chad's fuckbuddy), but this is another matter.

Is it more acceptable to you that Derek forces his sister, almost blackmailing her at least from a moral point of view, to spend the night with a boy that neither of them knows, rather than that Maya accepts to help a boy in difficulty? I would say that they are at least acceptable in the same way.
on the one hand you underline Derek's irresponsibility, on the other hand you underline Maya's good heart, everyone has his own priorities.

even in the memories of life lived I do not think it is so important the presence of Derek in the photos in the stories and the summer vacation, which would have worked in the same way whoever were the other participants

the only real function of Derek being Maya's brother is that it justifies him always lecturing MC to the point of possibly betraying his trust, which to me is a negative function, not a positive one

But if we start having more surprise family relationships popping up out of the woodwork, I reserve my right to scrap all this and say it's becoming bullshit. :p
I don't believe it if I see it.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: dalli_x

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020

This week I worked on several different tasks.

I've added art, code, and writing to Rooster/Chats and updated the design of the game menus (Save/Load/Preferences, etc.) to a more modern look that I intend to keep across season 1/2 and season 3 binaries.

I've written more of the missing scenes and posed static renders and a couple of SFW animations for them.

Here is the updated checklist of what's left to do:

Writing tasks that remain:
  • Two scenes of medium length
  • Code for one mini-game
  • Code for previously on Being a DIK screens
  • Code for episode end credits and screens
  • Adding Bios for all events (I always leave this task to last)
Art tasks that remain:
  • Possibly a few SFW (safe for work) animations
  • Render time for the final animation queue, currently 40 animations waiting to render
  • Static renders for four scenes
  • Render time for those static renders
  • GUI elements for one mini-game
Audio tasks that remain:
  • Implementing sound effects for a few scenes
  • Implementing music for a few scenes
(I intend to work on everything above next week and should complete a lot. I will also start playtesting next week.)

Other tasks that remain:
  • Polishing the dialogue and code
  • Playtesting
  • Thorough testing of transferring saves between Season 2 and Season 3 (Steam and Patreon).
  • Double-checking variables
  • Quality control of renders/animations
  • Fixing bugs that I find while testing

The episode is now bigger than episode 7 in almost every regard, and I feel that I'm getting close to having a complete episode that I can polish and test.

I don't say this often enough, but thanks for your continued support!

I'm looking forward to rewarding your patience with one hell of a season finale that will have you talking circles for months to come.

Have a nice weekend

Dr PinkCake
We are back with a lot of numerical information. 40 animations in queue, still in the average, so we can say that there are still 2 weeks to complete those animations, and to that add the small sfw animations and several static scenes, plus the beta testing... I'm inclined to think in November 12 or 19 as a date.

nyrek

Apr 19, 2021
I know you guys probably went over this multiple times but I can't read through 7.5k pages

with AL in mind I can't help myself but to have ominous thoughts about the ending of the game. I know it's far and a lot of shit will happen meanwhile but still... when the game starts with "I was happy back then. we didn't have much, we... erm... we had enough. we had each other. as for now? let me tell you what happened"

in my mind, MC is writing/thinking about this from a jail cell, probably being the scapegoat for quinn's drug circle or something similar.

can anyone convince me I'm wrong so I feel better about this? :D

Blades1138

Jul 29, 2017
I predict the usual cliffhanger in the last 5 minutes 'keeping us talking' for months. Considering the last 2 'cliffhangers' were obvious from a mile away, I'm not really impressed by DPC's blanket statements. Especially in view of the shoddy development of certain subplots.

Reactions: w00de and DavDR

Kellermann

Engaged Member
Oct 20, 2020
why do you hate me so Shazba? we need Stephen to be Sage´s dad! If Sage is Stephen Burke daughter and the HOT president.. what are all HOT`s to each other? sisters if Stephen is Sage´s father and he fucked at least 3 of them we get NTR incest in one go, all without compromising the MC! 2nd hand incest is it more tolerable?

Besides if he is not then my entire theory of the MC being the natural son of Stephen Burke starts to make sense!

Hi Dalli_x!

i support this initiative, make it happen!
Dalli time! Why can't it be both? Ginger top knot guy at the HOT party could be Sage's biological dad whereas Burke could be Sage's step-father. Jade could be Sage's biological mom (and Sage was the unseen person on the picture frame during the Jade/Burke domestic dispute). Jade can be Tybalt's mom (hopefully biological or the cucking feels less satisfying) and either Burke or some other rando can be Tybalt's biological dad (Jade really looking for love in all the wrong places :oops: ). That would make Tybalt and Sage half siblings which would make Sage's "out of the blue" tweet to Tybbie make some sense.

godkingxerxes

Sep 27, 2020
Dalli time! Why can't it be both? Ginger top knot guy at the HOT party could be Sage's biological dad whereas Burke could be Sage's step-father. Jade could be Sage's biological mom (and Sage was the unseen person on the picture frame during the Jade/Burke domestic dispute). Jade can be Tybalt's mom (hopefully biological or the cucking feels less satisfying) and either Burke or some other rando can be Tybalt's biological dad (Jade really looking for love in all the wrong places :oops: ). That would make Tybalt and Sage half siblings which would make Sage's "out of the blue" tweet to Tybbie make some sense.
Tybalt and Sage same age, would be quite difficult for them to have same mother and different fathers.

I like the idea that Sage is Burke's daughter, and Tybalt is Jade's son and then they got married later making Sage and Tybalt step siblings.

Reactions: John Ness

CHAD-MAN

Aug 12, 2017
Quinn is the main antagonist, at least for now. She’s probably not the ‘real’ villain but for the time being she is involved with a lot of the bad stuff in the main story, drug dealing, prostitution, possibly the Cathy cluck and the Black mail. She is also tied to Sage, Maya and Josy. Meanwhile Tybalt fills the role of main antagonist for the Jill and arguably Bella. Bella’s could also be James. You could also argue CHAD fills the role on the Sage path.

All of the LI’s have their own story. They just have different antagonists in them.
I dont think Chad is an antagonist since season 1... We barely know anything about Bella's husband, and I am pretty sure Vinny will be the one the overall antagonist as a drug kingpin with Nick being a mole (although for some reason I am not discarding Leon). Obviously on the Maya/Josy plot Maya's father the antagonist. Quinn is not obviously not a true antagonist for a bunch of reasons despite being a total bitch. I have a feeling Sage's father (I assume its the manbun dude on the Prep's party) will be an antagonist of sort but will end up a good guy. In fact, I think all fathers (Maya's, Quinn's, Sage's, the MC's) will all be somewhat redeemed.

My opinion Vinny is the one true fuck up in this story and eventually will step on Nick too (his only friend)

Oliver Wendell Homely

May 9, 2020
I haven't commented at all about all the discussions about characters' being related (or not) in BaDIK, so rather than reply to any individual post, I thought I'd leave a standalone post. I may be misunderstanding some of the complaints, but I've been seeing some posts that seem to say that having all these relatives on campus is unrealistic.

I think if we have melodramatic "discoveries" that MC is related to Jill or Josy or some other variation of "long lost relative," it would be a cheap plot trick and quite disappointing. I mean, I love reading dalli_x's wild theorizing as much as the next guy, but I'd be pretty dismayed if pretty much any of his theories turns out to be true.

On the other hand, having a lot of family members at the same college in and of itself is totally normal and even expected, given that B&R is supposed to be a US school that is "the poor man's college," to quote Steve from the convenience store. I went to a pretty small public university in the US because it was affordable and close to home, as did my brother, and most of my friends who had siblings were all there with their siblings. Most of the staff and faculty who had college-age kids had their kids at that school. So there's nothing out of the ordinary in that at all.

If anything about B&R is unrealistic, it's why a bunch of rich kids would be there at all (generally Ivy League and other elite schools are happy to accept even lousy students if they are willing and able to pay full tuition) and why there aren't any older than average students there. I am NOT saying I want to start seeing MILFs and DILFs among the student body, but the reality is that schools like B&R in the US are regularly where older people go if they didn't get a degree when they were younger. Now that I write this, maybe that's why DPC introduced Madame. She's going to pop up in one of MC's classes next semester. ;)

Blades1138

Jul 29, 2017
And what if the finale is the NTR scene where Tybalt fucks Jill and Bella because the girls found out that MС was cheating on them and decided to take revenge? Then the players will go around in circles for many months out of anger :devilish:
He can have Jill. She's annoying enough to fall for his bullshit anyway. Plus her face is made of plastic.

4.80 star(s) 1,526 Votes