Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
Oh, and to add one more thing since it's actually in the game. ALMOST universally, you use a 20 sided die to determine the result of ACTIONS. Such as attacking, searching, convincing, etc etc etc. In most systems, rolling a 1 on that 20 sided die is not only an automatic fail of whatever you were doing, but the person running the game will often add some kind of negative effect. You can see this happen in BTW when Hannah/Tharine attempts to do something at those ruins and "rolls a 1". Oscar tells her that she falls on her face and takes some damage.

The reverse of that is a "natural 20". Most of the time, this is an automatic success on whatever you're doing. In addition, you'll usually get some kind of bonus or perk. For example, if you roll a 20 while attacking, it's a critical hit which means you do more damage.

Just some extra info :)

greenjf

Sep 23, 2020
Then there are people like me, who seem to role between 2-8 hoping I have enough bonuses to save me from my constant bad roles

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
Is it time for a preview of Chapter 6?

I think it's time for a preview of Chapter 6!

I absolutely love this render :)

Also, side note, game is currently on sale over on . Just sayin'.

btw-06-03-010.png

Znoose

Jul 21, 2022
Any help with this error?

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/chapter02/02_08.rpy", line 93, in script
mc2 "Unfortunately, we do not have that option. If we do not return what they stole, an entire village will perish."
NameError: name 'mcn2' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
mc2 "Unfortunately, we do not have that option. If we do not return what they stole, an entire village will perish."
File "renpy/ast.py", line 715, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 1417, in say
who(what, *args, **kwargs)
File "renpy/character.py", line 1201, in __call__
who = renpy.python.py_eval(who)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2249, in py_eval
return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2242, in py_eval_bytecode
return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "<none>", line 1, in <module>

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
Any help with this error?

While running game code:

Full traceback:
File "renpy/character.py", line 1201, in __call__
who = renpy.python.py_eval(who)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2249, in py_eval
return py_eval_bytecode(code, globals, locals)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2242, in py_eval_bytecode
return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "<none>", line 1, in <module>
Can you tell me what version you're using?

Znoose

Jul 21, 2022
Can you tell me what version you're using?
I just downloaded the game today, so the newest one i suppose.I got no clue about coding, but i'm not a complete idiot so by reading the error i guess the game doesn't find the name of MC inside the DND game? ( never got an option to put a name there anyway), so everytime the MC has a dialogue line in there i get this error and it's really annyoing.

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
I just downloaded the game today, so the newest one i suppose.I got no clue about coding, but i'm not a complete idiot so by reading the error i guess the game doesn't find the name of MC inside the DND game? ( never got an option to put a name there anyway), so everytime the MC has a dialogue line in there i get this error and it's really annyoing.
That's very odd, since no one else has experienced it. I can tell you that you are prompted to enter the name near the start of Chapter 2. I'm wondering if you managed to skip past it somehow.

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
Just to be completely sure, please drop this file in your btw/game/ directory, and overwrite the existing one. Wondering if maybe yours got corrupted somehow. I just tested this, and it's working.

Reactions: Znoose

Znoose

Jul 21, 2022
Just to be completely sure, please drop this file in your btw/game/ directory, and overwrite the existing one. Wondering if maybe yours got corrupted somehow. I just tested this, and it's working.
Thank you for the file, i've tried it. It seems to work "kinda" now i got a different error.

While running game code:
File "game/chapter02/02_09.rpy", line 137, in script
mc2 "Are you able to read any of that raised text?"
KeyError: u'<Character'

Full traceback:
File "game/chapter02/02_09.rpy", line 137, in script
mc2 "Are you able to read any of that raised text?"
File "renpy/character.py", line 1204, in __call__
who = self.prefix_suffix("who", self.who_prefix, who, self.who_suffix)
File "renpy/character.py", line 1125, in prefix_suffix
return (sub(prefix) + sub(body) + sub(suffix))
File "renpy/character.py", line 1105, in sub
return renpy.substitutions.substitute(s, scope=scope, force=force, translate=translate)[0]
File "renpy/substitutions.py", line 270, in substitute
s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.android-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.android-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.android-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 646, in get_field
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.android-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 605, in get_value
KeyError: u'<Character'

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.6.1693
Between Two Worlds Chapter5
Thu Sep 29 00:22:35 2022

I even deleted the game and reinstalled it.

EvilChef

Sep 23, 2016
I actually bought the game on Steam cuz of Hannah. I got a big thing for redhead's and freckles.

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
If you used the same save file, it wouldn't change anything. I think the mc2 variable in your save file is corrupt. I'm going to use this situation to add a way to change/update that in the future via the menu. But for now, I think the only way to get it working correctly will be for you to go back to the point where you need to input the game world character name and redo that.

Znoose

Jul 21, 2022
If you used the same save file, it wouldn't change anything. I think the mc2 variable in your save file is corrupt. I'm going to use this situation to add a way to change/update that in the future via the menu. But for now, I think the only way to get it working correctly will be for you to go back to the point where you need to input the game world character name and redo that.
Sure, i don't mind starting over. Thank you for your help!

Znoose

Jul 21, 2022

Sorry to botther again, it seems i found the problem.I overlooked this error at the begging, im getting this when i get to decide the name on the DND game and im pretty sure this causes the later errors. This is on a fresh game btw.

While running game code:
File "game/chapter02/02_02.rpy", line 78, in script
$ mc2 = renpy.input("What is your game world character name? Max 25 letters.", default="", length=25, color = "#4d3644")
File "game/chapter02/02_02.rpy", line 78, in <module>
$ mc2 = renpy.input("What is your game world character name? Max 25 letters.", default="", length=25, color = "#4d3644")
TypeError: renpy.input() got unexpected keyword argument(s): color

Full traceback:
File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 902, in input
raise TypeError("renpy.input() got unexpected keyword argument(s): {}".format(", ".join(kwargs.keys())))

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.6.1693
Thu Sep 29 02:43:04 2022

Reactions: Jackmcbean

Drooskati

Game Developer
Jul 15, 2020
Sorry to botther again, it seems i found the problem.I overlooked this error at the begging, im getting this when i get to decide the name on the DND game and im pretty sure this causes the later errors. This is on a fresh game btw.

While running game code:

Full traceback:
File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 902, in input
raise TypeError("renpy.input() got unexpected keyword argument(s): {}".format(", ".join(kwargs.keys())))

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.6.1693
Thu Sep 29 02:43:04 2022
Okay, this looks like it's a remnant of some testing I was doing with my beta testers a while back. I don't know how it ended up in a production release though.

I'm attaching the corrected version of that scene file to this, and will work on replacing the files on the distributions tonight. Place this file in btw/game/chapter02 and overwrite the existing file. You'll need to redo the naming bit, so I hope you made a save around that area.

Thanks for letting me know.

clelag

Jun 16, 2018
It has been brought to my attention that there's a bug in Chapter 2, specifically where you get to name your game world character. I've patched that particular file, linked below. To fix it, simply put this file in your BTW/game/chapter02 folder and overwrite the existing file.

If you are NOT experiencing a problem (Only impacts people who start from the beginning), do not worry about it. This will be corrected in the Chapter 6 update. If you're using a Steam or Itch release, the bug is not present.

Dunno if it's only me but all pushing the patch link does is opening a new window with no download.

Zephea

Engaged Member
Sep 7, 2019
Dunno if it's only me but all pushing the patch link does is opening a new window with no download.
Right click it (WIndows...) and use 'Save link as...' and put it into the /game/ folder and over-write if asked. Make sure you remove any numbers from the name if some got stuck to it. :>)

Reactions: Drooskati

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
Not sure if it is feasible but

Steam runs great. Purchase with Paypal for one time fee. Updates slide in automatically. I STRONGLY recommend if it is within your budget.

That's my Ted talk

4.40 star(s) 57 Votes