Spillthebeans

Jun 21, 2017
Lets be honest, it is 100% for the money. A minor update with things that should have been added in the initial UI update and it all took what? 6 months? If the guy wanted to deliver lore like a Souls game then why not have more lore and items with lore descriptions? Why don't characters talk about the world aside from "We really horny ;P"? Hell. Why not make the gameplay more like Dark Souls if the only games he likes are DS? Defeat a wild Neph in combat then dominate it in order to bring it back to the ranch?

There is being a pessimist and there is being a realist observing trends in these types of games.
He picks apart what he likes from his limited experience with actually playing games to include in what his take on the monster breeding genre is. So what we get is something trying to be a monster breeder but without interesting breeding mechanics/gameplay, with lore that's light-hearted and goofy but intended to be delivered in a vague and not entirely spelled out fashion. Everything makes more sense when you understand that he's a modeller trying to self-learn game development and doesn't play video games.

It didn't used to be this way, updates came frequently, or at least much more frequently than they do now, he communicated more and, while he never had much of a personality to begin with, his interactions publicly over the years have become more robotic. That's why I believe that he's had a mental episode, even before he announced his issues he was posting some out there shit on discord.

It's funny how it goes, huh? Seems like a majority of successful patreon game devs either become self-appointed rockstars or they lose their minds and halt everything to a crawl but what's even more depressing is that the money never seems to stop flowing no matter what they do.

Reactions: Rtrain and kamidds

Rtrain

Nov 2, 2019
Really sad, I was looking something similar so I tried wicked island but omg... that thing is full of bugs, unplayable "building" system, you get stuck anywhere and for any reason, the monster are ugly and so on... what I mean is if you compare both games this one is not that bad...
Right you are there. I experimented with WI and it is far from ready. The Animations / Alignments are not great and you can list issues within 5 minutes of game play. While it is promising. BotN has a bit more time and polish to it. Ultimately at the end of the day making games is hard, as a solo dev even harder. Really would like to see their work flows and how they do their solo dev journey.

I wish I had any ounce of creative skill such as them. It is hard to execute ideas or story when the most you have is a complete different area of skill that doesn't overlap GameDev at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mee&Mee

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
It's kind of his M.O. to make things more time consuming without making it interesting, probably a consequence of him not actually playing games. In his defense I will say that this system is more interesting than what came before and I can understand why he went in this direction to make breeding more involved, it's a step in the right direction in my opinion. However I can't say the same for how portals, breeding, and gates work right now.
Is what I said about him a bunch of times. He's one of those damn devs that can't add 1 nice thing without delibaretly messing with another 4 on the process. Problem is that at some point you just stop caring about the game and even with cheats it gets tedious.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
Why would someone who doesn’t play games ever decide to become a solo dev?

Like, I can understand someone studying modelling or something and joining a team just because it’s a business with lots of opportunity at the moment, without having any real passion for games; but how does one decide to start developing a game on their own via Patreon and the like without being first a passionate gamer himself?
money-mr.gif

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
I don't know but the pessimist in me wants to say he's doing it for the money. He's stated a few times on discord that while he doesn't play games he does like dark souls and wants to deliver the lore in this game in a similar fashion. When I found this out, all the odd decisions he has made over the years finally began to add up. I still think that if he listens to his patrons (assuming they don't just blindly agree with every decision) he can turn it around even if he doesn't see the logic in some concessions like making portals available to be unlocked from the start.
Another thing that I just can't stand. The souls-like fan game devs. I haven't played a single game developed by one of them that I could say that felt satisfying to play. Or that their lore made any logical sense, including their gameplay mecanics. Or that felt even consistent, like, at all. Specially because what most of those idjits can't understand is that those games are tricky as hell to beat but are DESIGNED to be predicatable, to behave following stable and constant patterns that makes part of the fun the idea of you discovering them and exploiting them after with whatever build you use. Still not something that every player can find fun to play but at least if you take a look at them from a designer point of view you can clearly see that all the big tittles on that regard have that same common formula. And any time when they're trash talked on being bad copies of the OG ones are precisely because they deviate too much from that predictability formula, among many other things relatable details.

MrFlooffyLion31

Feb 8, 2020
God I need an essence guide please... there is no easy indication to which stat is the specific "lesser stat" to breed into a C rank to get essence level 2. So far, it's always a 50/50 once you figure out which is naturally the "greater stat" out of the three. I mean I know that the entire point is to figure it out, but honestly... I can only stomach this game so much after breeding the same shit over and over again in hoping that you get rank C on the right one.

Nabebebe

Feb 7, 2023
Is this game finished? I remember playing it and giving up on the unreasonable request from the demon (?) lady on the lava map roughly a year ago. Now I have read through some release notes and have seen nothing but mechanics and balacing changes.

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
Is this game finished? I remember playing it and giving up on the unreasonable request from the demon (?) lady on the lava map roughly a year ago. Now I have read through some release notes and have seen nothing but mechanics and balacing changes.
It’s closer to abandoned. Every four or so months, when the game is on the verge of getting flagged, there comes an update which adds essentially no new content, maybe reshuffles some of the old content to make it take longer to get through, and fixes a couple bugs, then it’s radio silence until the next time the dev’s hand is forced in this manner.

STet

Apr 17, 2020
The version of the game on Steam was updated to 0.761.1, and on Patreon it remained the same, although the subscriber page now looks like this:
Patreon.jpg

arcader000

Nov 13, 2019
It’s closer to abandoned. Every four or so months, when the game is on the verge of getting flagged, there comes an update which adds essentially no new content, maybe reshuffles some of the old content to make it take longer to get through, and fixes a couple bugs, then it’s radio silence until the next time the dev’s hand is forced in this manner.
And honestly I can believe he's actually putting in work behind the scenes, but he's one dude working on a monumental task a full team good sized team would be taking long time with. Half a year just trying to fix bugs feels believable at the scale being worked with.
Like watching an ant try to relocate the whole colony by itself.

DudeBro79

Jun 8, 2020
And honestly I can believe he's actually putting in work behind the scenes, but he's one dude working on a monumental task a full team good sized team would be taking long time with. Half a year just trying to fix bugs feels believable at the scale being worked with.
Dude's also crazy and keeps driving away anyone who helps or tries to help him, if what's been said here is to be believed.

RubyZeronyka

Jul 26, 2020
All that would be an amazing and wholesome story if it wasn't for the fact that Derelict deliberately refuses to have a team working for him or with him at all AT THE SAME TIME that he also have many, MANY fetish biases that he's still actively refusing to add no matter how many times his many backers demanded him to add. Specially since many of that shit was also promised to be added in the past.

Derelict isn't a talented solo dev that works that way cause no one is able to keep up or complement his skills or he's able to pay them or not. Or that he's trying to make the world by himself. He's a dude that's not even a gamer himself who barely plays Dark Souls from time to time and even those games he doesn't properly understand how they're designed. Cause if he did, his game wouldn't be a constantly increasing grinding fuckfest (quite literally in some aspects) that it is today.

Don't get me wrong. I love this game's idea but the way that is executed, makes it so on each update feels worse than the previous.

3.90 star(s) 109 Votes