nightsight

Game Developer
Mar 25, 2019
can someone post a mega link all those links give me attack website warnings!?

Raistln

Oct 24, 2021
I think your a little confused here.
I think both of you are.
His was a simple error saying "you pirated" instead of whoever pirated it and posted it here for others to d/l (pirate) the game.
Yours is in not understanding that without those people on Steam and the Patreons supporting the developer, there wouldn't be a game on this site (or Steam or Patreon) for anyone to play whether it be a pirated version or waiting 3 or more months after the Steam release for it to be posted. Without those people that pay, there is no funding to create the game.

Reactions: Teritius

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
I mean, we do have a new Steam update this time around. Those don't have the same issue that Patreon builds have. And while the Patreon update that came out at the same time is a version ahead, the Steam update does have a ton of fixes and changes that the version in OP lacks.

Reactions: ViviX12

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
I mean, we do have a new Steam update this time around. Those don't have the same issue that Patreon builds have. And while the Patreon update that came out at the same time is a version ahead, the Steam update does have a ton of fixes and changes that the version in OP lacks.
thought the op would've been updated by now

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
thought the op would've been updated by now
Last couple of steam updates it's taken a week to two weeks for that. Presumably BaasB is busy, doesn't personally have a copy of the game, or has missed the memo about an update. Regardless, latest Steam version is now v0.3.28 while latest Patreon is v0.3.29 and this thread is stuck on December's v0.3.22.

Reactions: ViviX12

Greenhouse

Oct 23, 2018
Are you willing to make a throwaway Patreon account, subscribe for $20, download and share the latest update, and have that account get banned before the next update comes out?

Yeah, me neither.
How does that happen? Does the game include information about which account downloaded it? Because if so, it could probably be removed to avoid that.

Reactions: rayso12

Ssato243

Feb 2, 2021
How does that happen? Does the game include information about which account downloaded it? Because if so, it could probably be removed to avoid that.
yep and the dev is hear in this forum also there is a luncher that look if you are a patron account

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Right, so. The launcher you use to download the game from Patreon saves information about your Patreon account to your computer when you login to enable the download button. The game itself (which is entirely separate from and doesn't actually need the launcher to run) will look for the information the launcher saved, make some local validation checks without verifying directly with Patreon (aka no internet needed post-download), and then load the pre-title splash screen. If those checks fail, you get a warning screen about not being a subscriber instead of being able to play the game.

Basically, for the Patreon version, the choices are the following:
  1. Upload a copy of the Patreon version without this information. This copy will not work for people who download it, and depending on how thoroughly you cleaned the game directory, may wind up getting you banned anyway because account data also gets saved in there by the launcher.
  2. Upload a copy of the Patreon version complete with subscriber information. The Patreon account gets permanently banned from subscribing to Team Carnal, and you're out however much money you paid to subscribe.
  3. Find a way to bypass the checks the game makes, such that a functional copy of the Patreon version can be uploaded without compromising a Patreon account.
Notably, this measure is very clearly a deterrent rather than a standard DRM measure. Copying the game in a playable state is very easy to do, but doing so involves personally compromising information that you're better off not giving away to the public at large.

All that said, it's basically a moot point at the moment because we're also behind relative to Steam. And Steam versions don't have any of these issues.

Ajax28

Apr 28, 2021
I have a question, do you always have to be subscribed to play, or once you get the download for the latest version it's yours to keep?

4.00 star(s) 86 Votes