Caerna

Dec 29, 2018
Inventory system is absolutely broken, if you move active head pattern on a pattern for different body, it overwrites pattern that was in the inventory without swapping, so you lose one forever and gain duplicate of current one. Abyssal body overwrites bodies if equipped by using head. That's gamebreaking.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Inventory system is absolutely broken, if you move active head pattern on a pattern for different body, it overwrites pattern that was in the inventory without swapping, so you lose one forever and gain duplicate of current one. Abyssal body overwrites bodies if equipped by using head. That's gamebreaking.
Assuming you're talking about the void parts, see here. The devs are now aware of those bugs and working on getting them fixed.

Caerna

Dec 29, 2018
Assuming you're talking about the void parts, see here. The devs are now aware of those bugs and working on getting them fixed.
Not only about void. For example: Dragon head and dragon head pattern, you have cat head pattern in your inventory, drag equipped dragon head pattern on that cat head pattern, now you have two dragon head patterns but cat pattern is no more. Maybe same for bodies.

hecom

Jan 26, 2019
the sex is good but goddamn the quests are annoying,speedhack is a must.

Oct 16, 2017
You have noticed we've been in this thread from the start right?
Pirates, a label given to us by your for-bearers to give answer to their credit losses. What you choose to call us is irrelevant, we simply are.

The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Development Teams rise, evolve, advance and at the apex of their greed, they are extinguished.

All in good fun though.

INeedSomeCats

Jun 6, 2020
Unfortunately, I have confirmed that save files used by the previous 1.6* version are not recognized by 1.7*.
I've got all the items available at the time of version 1.6*, and now I'm in despair. I hate repeating boring quests. Can someone please share the current latest version of full save data?
I wish there were Goo jars left.
Thank you.

rexharbinger

Sep 15, 2017
Just from a user perspective, could I suggest making sprinting a toggle? The way a lot of games handle it is have an option in the controls that allows you to choose making it a toggle or not. Then, when you turn it on, it stays on until you stop (either by bumping into something or by letting go of the forward button).
Also, perhaps later an autorun feature (where it just holds down forward for you) might be a useful toggle to add.

These would just be for ease of use, since my hand gets tired quickly (and not in the usual way from these games) since I'm holding down Shift+W for about 90% of the game play.

Other than that, so far so good. I the concept of futanari games since they provide such a wide range of interactions. There are some tweaks to the cinematography in some of the sex scenes that would probably help (often the focus is not quite right) and where the depth of field could stand to be increased, but those are minor and will likely be picked up in some patches later.

I played through all the content in a previous release and I'm going through it again now. I can see some differences already, and I like where this is going. Once this has gotten further in development, I WILL be purchasing it on Steam. I've bought Bonecraft and Subverse even though they are available for 'free' here, so I'm not just blowing smoke. I do support adult gaming, but I don't have enough disposable income to pay monthly fees for them (or any other game, like MMO's).

Either way, as I said, I like where the game is going and I like a lot of the already included kinks, so I'm keeping an eye on this one.

Reactions: echo3dx
Oct 16, 2017
Believe it or not I didn't actually hop on to f95 to get into arguments with random forum users, I came here to try and see if there is a middle ground to be found. We're new at this side of things, if you like the game and want to see what it can become then at least cut us a little slack whilst we find out feet. I'm not asking you to pay, but just give us the chance to try and find a balance.
I don't mean to bring up an old argument but you mentioned trying to find a balance between piracy and paywalls

How about having a pay what you want system per update with like a minimum of 1$ or something like on Gumroad, so you will still receive an income without clients having to fork out 10$ a month for an incomplete game.

echo3dx

Nov 15, 2020
How about having a pay what you want system per update with like a minimum of 1$ ... still receive an income without clients having to fork out 10$ a month for an incomplete game.
That's not quite accurate though is it, because nobody has to "fork out" anything per month on top of the one-time steam purchase; all updates end up bug-fixed and with better performance on Steam free of charge. There are complaints about our updates on steam but they're occuring at a faster pace than even huge games like Valheim.

Without all those $10 patrons funding development there would be no game. The "milking it" comments come from people who have no idea the cost of development for a team of 5 people based in the UK. It's just basic maths - we can fund development now with our patrons and residual steam sales but to meet that level with ~$1 payments we'd need something in the order of ten times our current supporters every month. Now obviously some people would pay more, but even at 20K supporters needed we'd have to be the second largest game on Patreon to survive.

We're still looking to strike a balance, but cards on the table it won't be "you get the latest version of the game for $1". If people want to help us make the game they'll support us, and if they don't want it completed they won't. All we can really do is keep making the best content we can and hoping that some of the people who pirate the game will occasionally sub at $3 to show support.

As I say we're still in the early days of finding a balance and we'll look to do so, though three new versions of the game up here in as many days does honestly put a damper on that desire.

Reactions: Santvarg

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Without all those $10 patrons funding development there would be no game. The "milking it" comments come from people who have no idea the cost of development for a team of 5 people based in the UK. It's just basic maths - we can fund development now with our patrons and residual steam sales but to meet that level with ~$1 payments we'd need something in the order of ten times our current supporters every month. Now obviously some people would pay more, but even at 20K supporters needed we'd have to be the second largest game on Patreon to survive.
I've mentioned this a while back, but now that we know the actual number of people on the team I can give a shoddy breakdown of the numbers here. For reference, per the steam update post they made there are five developers who have significant personal financial responsibility as adults with families and homes and the like.

The game currently has 2,778 subscribers on Patreon. Making the assumption that all of them are Avatar tier and paying $10 monthly (some are lower, some are higher, but avatar is the lowest tier that gets you copies of the game), the game is taking in $27,780 this month. Assuming USD processing fees, which are the lowest on Patreon, that's 2.9% + $0.30 per pledge. (You can see details on Patreon cut ) That drops the intake down to $26,140.98.

Split that among five developers, and making the (very false) assumption that all money goes straight to the devs rather than the company needing to take a cut for legal, tax, and other purposes (such as commissioning third party assets like voice acting that they are very much commissioning for this game), each dev would get $5,228.19 this month. Continuing the (probably wrong) assumption that the developers are in the USA, that's gonna be smacked with an income tax somewhere in the range of 30%, dropping it down to $3,659.73 that each developer would have to pay bills, buy food, and potentially support a family.

In other words, the developers are only just now at the point of breaking even on current income versus expenditure. After publicly developing the game for eight months and working on it prior to release for who knows how long. So financially, they're still probably digging themselves back up out of the red.

Last edited:

Caerna

Dec 29, 2018
In most countries tax cut and other deductions on business profits are around 45-60%. So devs get at best 50% of what patreon and steam brings.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
In most countries tax cut and other deductions on business profits are around 45-60%. So devs get at best 50% of what patreon and steam brings.
So to update my numbers using the consistent "lowest possible" (aka the end result is gonna be higher than the devs are likely actually making):

$14,377.53 for the company post-tax, split five ways to $2,875.50 per developer pre-tax, which gets whacked down to $2,012.85 per developer if you assume a 30% income tax.

echo3dx

Nov 15, 2020
Assuming USD processing fees, which are the lowest on Patreon, that's 2.9% + $0.30 per pledge. (You can see details on Patreon cut ) That drops the intake down to $26,140.98.
Patreon takes 8% in addition to the 2.9% payment processing fee, and there's an additional 1% charge per transaction for non-US paypal payments (and obviously less any fraud). Based on our actual fee deductions by Patreon your number would end up as $23,890.80 rather than $26,140.98.

We're UK based, so split purely 5 ways, and paying no Tax or National Insurance or other employment requirements, this would be $4778.16 per developer.

Shifting over to GBP, we then need to account for the £2730 cost of autodesk software, £708 Adobe CC, £1190 Marvelous Designer, £627 Zbrush, and a host of other packages needed for development - many of which we have to license annually per-developer. We then have distribution costs like servers and other hosting, hardware requirements such as replacement wacom tablets (mine gave up after it's extensive and honorable service). Business filing fees and accounting requirements such as audits are another cost, doing things above-board isn't cheap.

After this add the cost of voice acting, stock assets, freelance work, sound libraries, etc and you'll start to realise that making a huge, 3D, open-world game like Carnal Instinct is a huge amount of work and money. We're not setting the price where we are for any other reason than to ensure the game can get made. We have all taken huge cuts in salary and left safe jobs to make this game and we'll do everything in our power to see it through to the end.

This isn't meant to be a "Waa waah! Dev-Baby is sad he doesn't make more dough!" post, but rather a rebuttal to the "wow devs aren't even happy with their gold-plated tesla! smh" type comments.

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Patreon takes 8% in addition to the 2.9% payment processing fee, and there's an additional 1% charge per transaction for non-US paypal payments (and obviously less any fraud). Based on our actual fee deductions by Patreon your number would end up as $23,890.80 rather than $26,140.98.

We're UK based, so split purely 5 ways, and paying no Tax or National Insurance or other employment requirements, this would be $4778.16 per developer.

Shifting over to GBP, we then need to account for the £2730 cost of autodesk software, £708 Adobe CC, £1190 Marvelous Designer, £627 Zbrush, and a host of other packages needed for development - many of which we have to license annually per-developer. We then have distribution costs like servers and other hosting, hardware requirements such as replacement wacom tablets (mine gave up after it's extensive and honorable service). Business filing fees and accounting requirements such as audits are another cost, doing things above-board isn't cheap.

After this add the cost of voice acting, stock assets, freelance work, sound libraries, etc and you'll start to realise that making a huge, 3D, open-world game like Carnal Instinct is a huge amount of work and money. We're not setting the price where we are for any other reason than to ensure the game can get made. We have all taken huge cuts in salary and left safe jobs to make this game and we'll do everything in our power to see it through to the end.

This isn't meant to be a "Waa waah! Dev-Baby is sad he doesn't make more dough!" post, but rather a rebuttal to the "wow devs aren't even happy with their gold-plated tesla! smh" type comments.
Oh, if this is in GBP then the per-transaction fee is actually 3.4% + £0.35. Meaning that the starting point would be even lower than $23,890.80. Although considering the pledges are set up in USD, maybe not? I assume that if you're taking pledges in USD and getting paid in GBP, they're taking a conversion fee somewhere.

Regardless, the point stands: shit's expensive to make and you guys are just barely to the point of breaking even on a month-to-month basis.

Edit: Right, on a completely different note this thread's tags are out of date again as of the newer versions.

• Handjob: Two scenes in the game involve a handjob. The first is the felian threesome, where the felian you're fucking is also giving her sister a handjob. The second is the table-fuck, where you are in the same place as the felian in the prior threesome.
  • Masturbation: Possibly add? There are plenty of statue-corpses of people lying around who clearly died in the process of jilling. It's not something the player or another character can actively do at the moment, however.
  • Pregnancy: Add. While there is no visual component to it at the moment, speaking to Nepthys about being rutted by the centaur slave leads her to reveal you're now pregnant with twins. (These twins do not currently become characters in the game, so no twins tag yet.)

Last edited:
4.00 star(s) 85 Votes