echo3dx

Nov 15, 2020
Fair enough but you could've put this as a disclaimer on the front page so people are made aware of the situation first hand and don't rage about it.
We did fuck up yes. In our defence there was a graphic on the front of the storepage and a breakdown in the Early Access statement bit, but Steam made us remove them prior to launching the storepage as they considered it a "call to action". We pulled it and signposted on the Discord but yeah, massive oversight on our part. I'm willing to acknowledge that.

MysteryJax

Jan 28, 2018
The game is visually very impressive. I cant wait for some QOL changes such as teleporting or I hope thats added since its kinda slow to get around, also I hope the game starts to run a bit better since I randomly get these super hard hitting lag spikes even on my really good PC. Seems the devs will be doing that in Q2 though so yay for that.

Windfaker

Dec 11, 2017
If the product is good and the manufacturer is aware of it, why should he be afraid to try his product for free? like a test perfume, would you buy a perfume without knowing what the smell is? would you buy strawberries not knowing if there are no rotten under the nice big strawberries? Would you buy potatoes not to know if they are young and fresh or old and hard? do we get no warranty for electronic equipment and the possibility of returning the goods if it does not meet our expectations? Are there no TV consoles in electronic stores where you can play more than once? don't most developers on this site give us 1-2 months old versions of their games? the answer is yes to everything I wrote above

The argument that people searched for pirated versions more often than the original browser version is weak.

More than once we have dealt here with devswho won a huge amount of money and then they were lost and they did not show up again, I do not understand one thing why you force to pay the full price for such an early version of the game, being a patron for 3 months is the cost of $ 30 is the price full mid-budget game.

Why don't you give people a try of your product? for example 2-3 versions of an older version or 1-2 moths old like most developers do? why even on changelogs you close the door to people who do not pay you? you do your best to discourage people who could potentially be your consumers.

If you have an approach that people who don't pay you,should get fuck even though they can't even be sure what they will pay for or your arguments are that "oh no people don't get on us patron because there are pirate sites everywhere" then come up with better arguments because you have high ego and you act like game developers from EA.

Your game is beautiful, original and the patch is solid, but people who haven't given you money yet are treated like enemies and treating potential buyers like enemies is a bad approach.

A good seller is not afraid of his product because he knows that he will be profitable anyway, a good seller knows that his product is great and people will buy it, a good seller knows that the best advertisement for his product is the people who buy his product.

Earlier, I used to play "Skyrim V" on a pirate, I liked the game so much that I went to the gallery and bought the entire TES collection with all DLCs for $ 100, I spent about 500 hours in the game, so far I do not regret a single cent.

This is a simple example of a potential buyer who wants to know what to pay for and whether they think it's worth it.

Besides, you even neglect people who have already paid for your product, a simple example of people with steam, if even for 1-2 or 3 months (because people with steam were waiting for an update for so long) you did not give them any information why the update is not showing yours again commitment to your consumers, do not forget about future potential buyers whom you treat as thieves until they pay you.

But after all, there are only 5 of you and you cannot afford that anyone could even look at the changes you make in the game for free, this is a ridiculous and pathetic approach.

Just know I wont regret pirate ur game and we all know It will come big scenes cant stop pirates so how about 5 devs?

KurbirAndrej

Jul 20, 2019
why even on changelogs you close the door to people who do not pay you?
I would point to this as the main reason why piracy sites get more traffic than their official site or Patreon. There's no legitimate way of being up to date on the game without dropping at least $3 per month to receive development updates.

I would suggest making development updates free to read on Patreon, directly on their website and on Steam to keep their Steam audience in the loop and potentially attract more buyers or even patrons.

May 10, 2019
I've played the very first version that released not too long ago and since I've been happy with the progress that was made. The map addition and the inventory overhaul are huge. Kinkwise the equine member and centaur are amazing. Cannot wait until more of that is added.

Sadly I do not think putting this on patreon is good as patreon has extremely asinine guidelines for lewd content, meaning the centaur should already be enough to have it removed. Of course I advocate for making it free so many people can experience, but for the dev I recommend putting it on steam and other platforms, or enabling donations. In steam you can enable "donation dlcs" which basically allow people to purchase them to donate money. It sounds stupid, but this has been quite useful in racking up funds, the idea to allow multiplatform purchases also increases income and player numbers.

So far I'm really happy with the rapid progress and aside from a couple of bugs in 1.61 (invisible character upon dragon transformation, jumping while climbing makes the model bug, wolves are basically too stupid to find routes to attack you) I can't say there's much to improve gameplay-wise.

Of course in terms of content I've been looking forward for more, and personally (and selfishly) I'd sure as hell look forward to more of the large equipment scenes. The centaur scene was almost perfect, it's just kind of sad that he has half his dick hanging out during orgasm. Perhaps there could be scenes where the main character has more fun like that, or grants more fun.

echo3dx

Nov 15, 2020
The argument that people searched for pirated versions more often than the original browser version is weak.
This isn't an argument, it's a factual statement of the first-page Google search results for "carnal instinct game" prior to our Google DMCA takedowns. This thread was the top result, another ~10 pirate sites were the next links. It's easy to say now after most have been bumped off the google results but it was a stranglehold at the time.

More than once we have dealt here with devswho won a huge amount of money and then they were lost and they did not show up again, I do not understand one thing why you force to pay the full price for such an early version of the game, being a patron for 3 months is the cost of $ 30 is the price full mid-budget game.
We've "won" nothing, whatever small amount we've made has been earned by a huge amount of hard work. Also, thanks for the accusation that we're not going to 'show up again' despite the fact that we're actively publishing new content constantly. Nobody is forced to pay anything for updates; all content goes to steam once stable (minus a handful of cosmetics).

Why don't you give people a try of your product? for example 2-3 versions of an older version or 1-2 moths old like most developers do?
We will have a demo version of the game available in future, but as I said we're a tiny team and our current focus is getting more content out for our existing user-base who bought the game on steam or supported via crowdfunding. Also lets not pretend that demo versions end piracy - other games on this site have demo versions.

You are quite right however with regard to update info, changelogs will be on the community wiki & discord server moving forward.

If you have an approach that people who don't pay you,should get fuck
At no point have we said this. Several of our supporters are from f95.

Your game is beautiful, original and the patch is solid, but people who haven't given you money yet are treated like enemies and treating potential buyers like enemies is a bad approach.
If you check the very early pages of this thread you'll see I was active here. I answered questions via DM and have some f95 users as friends on Discord. We're new to adult game development and we're only human. Like I already said in my above post, I acknowledge that we've been heavy-handed with takedowns, but we want to survive long enough for CI to actually get finished and we're trying to find a middle ground.

If they'd only ever been older versions you'd never have seen us react how we did. But when it's the advance build and uploaded in seconds after its release it totally refutes your "1-2 months old" argument. It was the latest build every time. We have never taken any action any of the people who leaked the game beyond simply blocking them; we've never treated anyone like enemies, nor would we.

Besides, you even neglect people who have already paid for your product, a simple example of people with steam, if even for 1-2 or 3 months (because people with steam were waiting for an update for so long) you did not give them any information why the update is not showing yours again commitment to your consumers
The game has been on Steam since March. During March there were two hotfixes released to Steam. At the start of May - so within 2 months from launch - we posted a huge development update post on Steam detailing the wall of content dropping in June. That's so far above the standard schedule for Early Access on Steam I struggle to see your comment as anything other than bad faith. What standard exactly are you holding us to? I mean we've got a major content patch coming out for the platform in June - that's sooner than massive titles like Valheim or SubVerse!

Just know I wont regret pirate ur game
You do you. We'll still be here developing the game for as long as we are able.

Last edited:

Windfaker

Dec 11, 2017
This isn't an argument, it's a factual statement of the first-page Google search results for "carnal instinct game" prior to our Google DMCA takedowns. This thread was the top result, another ~10 pirate sites were the next links. It's easy to say now after most have been bumped off the google results but it was a stranglehold at the time.

We've "won" nothing, whatever small amount we've made has been earned by a huge amount of hard work. Also, thanks for the accusation that we're not going to 'show up again' despite the fact that we're actively publishing new content constantly. Nobody is forced to pay anything for updates; all content goes to steam once stable (minus a handful of cosmetics).

We will have a demo version of the game available in future, but as I said we're a tiny team and our current focus is getting more content out for our existing user-base who bought the game on steam or supported via crowdfunding. Also lets not pretend that demo versions end piracy - other games on this site have demo versions.

You are quite right however with regard to update info, changelogs will be on the community wiki & discord server moving forward.

At no point have we said this. Several of our supporters are from f95.

If you check the very early pages of this thread you'll see I was active here. I answered questions via DM and have some f95 users as friends on Discord. We're new to adult game development and we're only human. Like I already said in my above post, I acknowledge that we've been heavy-handed with takedowns, but we want to survive long enough for CI to actually get finished and we're trying to find a middle ground.

If they'd only ever been older versions you'd never have seen us react how we did. But when it's the advance build and uploaded in seconds after its release it totally refutes your "1-2 months old" argument. It was the latest build every time. We have never taken any action any of the people who leaked the game beyond simply blocking them, despite knowing who they were; we've never treated anyone like enemies, nor would we.

The game has been on Steam since March. During March there were two hotfixes released to Steam. At the start of May - so within 2 months from launch - we posted a huge development update post on Steam detailing the wall of content dropping in June. That's so far above the standard schedule for Early Access on Steam I struggle to see your comment as anything other than bad faith. What standard exactly are you holding us to? I mean we've got a major content patch coming out for the platform in June - that's sooner than massive titles like Valheim or SubVerse!

You do you. We'll still be here developing the game for as long as we are able.
There are 5 of you, show you? developers who make games themselves and somehow live until now? change your approach because you have not referred to the example of "good seller" even once, which means that you really don't know how to sell the product or you are very bad at it

You say you want your game to be the best in terms of content and the direction it will go in and you deny it at the same time, do you know how many times people like me who haven't paid for the game have made the game a hit? because they listened to us, they knew that not everyone can pay, some will pay only when the direction of the game suits them and they still earned a huge amount of money and I am talking about individual creators.

If you would spend a month on this forum and check the games, you would see that your approach is a wrong approach and it is not something I imagined, it always worked here you chose a different path and you will see later that it was not worth it

People will sooner or later pirate your game and then due to your current approach to potential buyers it will only make them less eager to support you financially.

There was a guy like you once "project eler" but he was also doing the game behind the paywall, he ended up so people hated him and didn't buy his product he canceled the project he started a new game 100% without paywall.

I wish you well and at the same time I hope that you will change your approach, I do not care somehow, your approach is wrong and people who would like to support you and would do it, most pirate sites have links to the creators' patrons, so I don't understand, someone who will not be he wanted to buy will not buy your product, even if he has to wait six months, someone who wants to buy your product will buy it and support you.

echo3dx

Nov 15, 2020
developers who make games themselves and somehow live until now?
Most of the team work full-time for studios. We've published indie stuff in the past, however we're leaving stable jobs to make this thing happen. I don't know what your point is here.

you have not referred to the example of "good seller" even once, which means that you really don't know how to sell the product or you are very bad at it
I'm trying to be constructive and I'm trying to avoid just having an argument. There's a lot of other stuff in your post that I also didn't go over, that doesn't mean I accept your characterisation of us. We're on a piracy forum, so it's not as though any response I can give here is going to win me friends.

I'm only here as I'm trying to find a better way of engaging with you guys.

You say you want your game to be the best in terms of content and the direction it will go in and you deny it at the same time, do you know how many times people like me who haven't paid for the game have made the game a hit? because they listened to us, they knew that not everyone can pay, some will pay only when the direction of the game suits them and they still earned a huge amount of money and I am talking about individual creators.
You can't have your cake and eat it; piracy may have helped some games but the first thing this thread did was smear our game and try to get us into a fight with WildLife & Ubisoft because a handful of users from here fancied themselves amateur detectives and found us visually similar.

We've opened a mega-vote to non-paying users and people can join the public discord to share ideas and chat about the game. You can shape this thing even if you don't pay a penny.

I hope that you will change your approach
Believe it or not I didn't actually hop on to f95 to get into arguments with random forum users, I came here to try and see if there is a middle ground to be found. We're new at this side of things, if you like the game and want to see what it can become then at least cut us a little slack whilst we find out feet. I'm not asking you to pay, but just give us the chance to try and find a balance.

Rangaros

Mar 8, 2018
If we released content "every month" on steam - as you say we should - reviews would still be hugely negative but instead of "wtf devs scam no updates" they'd instead read "wtf devs broken buggy mess". You realise that it's really normal for a game to only get content updates every few months, right? We released two hotfixes in the first month and we have a major update coming to Steam in June.
I wanted to comment on this. The game on Steam is marked as early access, isn't that what it's for? People don't buy early access expecting a polished, bug-free experience (save for a few idiots that don't understand the concept, but everyone else knows they are idiots). Getting the latest, experimental updates and trying them out, giving feedback and helping shape the game is what that's all about. Giving limited access and outdated content is only gonna get you limited and outdated feedback.

KurbirAndrej

Jul 20, 2019
Appreciated!

During March there were two hotfixes released to Steam. At the start of May - so within 2 months from launch - we posted a huge development update post on Steam detailing the wall of content dropping in June. That's so far above the standard schedule for Early Access on Steam I struggle to see your comment as anything other than bad faith.
I don't want to be a dick, but the number of hotfixes doesn't mean anything as you're fixing issues that the game shipped with (though, I'll be fair and commend you for increasing the map zoom as per player request).

Also I believe that Windfaker's point is that Steam community is treated differently to your Patrons, despite also being paying customers. Patrons got regular updates, meanwhile customers on Steam were left in the dark for a whole month, which is unacceptable even if the lack of updates is the standard for Early Access games on Steam.

echo3dx

Nov 15, 2020
The game on Steam is marked as early access, isn't that what it's for? People don't buy early access expecting a polished, bug-free experience

Giving limited access and outdated content is only gonna get you limited and outdated feedback.
Yeah but we're talking the difference between "we finished this 5 minutes before you're playing it" and "we've removed most of the bugs having had 2k players run around it for a while". I wanted a stable option available, because the Pateon build will, by definition, always be more unstable as the content is raw. This was plastered all over Steam but we were made to remove it - even once we deleted all references to Patreon and applied to have the page approved but they refused on the basis that having the storefront itself discuss versions would be a 'call to action' - something explicitly prohibited on the storefront.

There's a public Discord?

I don't want to be a dick, but the number of hotfixes doesn't mean anything as you're fixing issues that the game shipped with
I mean that's not even remotely how development works. What do you think is being fixed other than issues a game shipped with? Go check the Valheim updates for a game that's made millions; the overwhelming majority of what they're fixing is issues that shipped with the game. The number of hotfixes or updates indicates development and the resolution of issues, many of which don't come to light for us; for example our rigs are pretty good but there were some shit-hardware-specific bugs we've fixed that would never have come to light for us.

Also I believe that Windfaker's point is that Steam community is treated differently to your Patrons, despite also being paying customers. Patrons got regular updates, meanwhile customers on Steam were left in the dark for a whole month, which is unacceptable even if the lack of updates is the standard for Early Access games on Steam.
If we weren't running a Patreon to fund development, updates would be no more frequent on Steam; it would be much less stressful to release a content update every 3 months. We'd be doing testing with internal testers and that would be that. Why don't we do that? Because it requires a huge budget to make a game like this and it wouldn't be feasible; enter our supporters. They enable us to make the game and test it simultaneously.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you, what you're complaining about is that the very people who fund the playtesting by paying every single month, thereby enabling us to not only make the game but for it to actually be playable once it drops onto steam, get the builds to playtest before you.

Otherwise I honestly don't know what you're referring to with "lack of updates" when there's a major content update within 3 months of launch. I mean the world has practically doubled and there are big quests, bosses, and a shitload of content. I don't know what standard you're holding to here but it's hard to believe it's in good faith or comparable to anything equivalent.

echo3dx

Nov 15, 2020
On a related note, if anyone has questions about what will be in the game or what development will look like feel free to ask (or join the Discord and ask there - can always make a burner account if you feel more comfortable).

Reactions: kilompol
Nov 13, 2017
You can't have your cake and eat it; piracy may have helped some games but the first thing this thread did was smear our game and try to get us into a fight with WildLife & Ubisoft because a handful of users from here fancied themselves amateur detectives and found us visually similar.
Yeah, that whole shebang was a shitshow and a half. At least 2 users had the gall to say that they eye-balled the main menu animation and decided it was ripped straight off from Wildlife lmao. One even claimed the game took the map from AC:O and didn't even stop to consider how much of a stupid idea that would be. When I asked for proof, none of them would reply, so that was telling.
At least you're transparent with your situation here, I can respect that. Altho paying for a subscription is something I can't do, I'd gladly pay for the final product. Is there an estimated price point for the finished game yet? Also, have you guys explored some other distribution methods? Admittedly, I don't want to have this game on my main steam account for obvious reasons, and I don't feel like creating and maintaining a second steam account is worth it for one game.

kilompol

Sep 7, 2020
On a related note, if anyone has questions about what will be in the game or what development will look like feel free to ask (or join the Discord and ask there - can always make a burner account if you feel more comfortable).
hello love you'r game and wish you the best for its development , just quick question if you don't mind will the june build for steam include all the content for the may patreon build like the 'chosen of anubis 'quest and the the tomb of the guardian mini boss or is it gonna only include the female human head from that month because i only saw content from march and april roadmap in the dev vlog

Last edited:

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
hello love you'r game and wish you the best for its development , just quick question if you don't mind will the june build for steam include all the content for the may patreon build like the 'chosen of anubis 'quest and the the tomb of the guardian mini boss or is it gonna only include the female human head
According to the dev update they posted on Steam, it's going to include all Patreon content they've released thus far, minus a few cosmetic items. So the quests they've added to the game, along with the new dungeons, are going to be in that update.

KurbirAndrej

Jul 20, 2019
I mean that's not even remotely how development works. What do you think is being fixed other than issues a game shipped with? Go check the Valheim updates for a game that's made millions; the overwhelming majority of what they're fixing is issues that shipped with the game. The number of hotfixes or updates indicates development and the resolution of issues, many of which don't come to light for us; for example our rigs are pretty good but there were some shit-hardware-specific bugs we've fixed that would never have come to light for us.
You're missing my point. I'm not trying to condemn you for daring to release an Early Access title on Steam that has bugs nor trying to lecture you about game development - I have no experience in the field. My point was/is that you shouldn't (for the lack of a better word) brag that you released two hotfixes during the month the game got published on Steam as from my point of view, that's a negative, not a positive.

Clarification: It's good that you fix the bugs, but it's bad that you needed to do that in the first place despite it being a par for the course.

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding you, what you're complaining about is that the very people who fund the playtesting by paying every single month, thereby enabling us to not only make the game but for it to actually be playable once it drops onto steam, get the builds to playtest before you.
You are indeed misunderstanding me, but it's mostly my fault for not being clear. When I talked about updates on Steam, I meant development logs and not content updates or playtesting - makes sense that those are only available to patrons who pay on a monthly basis for the privilege.

Clarification: Patrons should continue to get the special benefits, but Steam customers should get a monthly development log as well.

echo3dx

Nov 15, 2020
Is there an estimated price point for the finished game yet? Also, have you guys explored some other distribution methods? Admittedly, I don't want to have this game on my main steam account for obvious reasons, and I don't feel like creating and maintaining a second steam account is worth it for one game.
Currently we have no plans on final price point that are different to the existing price, that said it may be slightly more expensive - we're simply not set so it's safer to tell people the price may increase and there be no unpleasant surprises. There will be a discount during the various seasonal sales for anyone who would like to support the project but not at full price.

Once out of Pre-Alpha/Alpha/Beta and in final release we'll target other platforms like Nutaku (they don't allow in-development projects). Otherwise Steam was essentially our only option as most don't allow any adult content.

will the june build for steam include all the content for the may patreon build like the 'chosen of anubis 'quest and the the tomb of the guardian mini boss or is it gonna only include the female human head from that month because i only saw content from march and april roadmap in the dev vlog
It will include at least the content we list on the Steam update as a bare minimum. The other content will be in if it's not got any totally game-breaking issues we can't fix in time. We anticipate May's content to all be in the June Steam update.

brag that you released two hotfixes during the month the game got published on Steam as from my point of view, that's a negative, not a positive.
I take your point but fundamentally disagree; even AAA studios have bugs in games, for Indie studios it's virtually unavoidable. If you don't want bugs, only buy/pirate the game once it's out of the various Pre-Alpha/Alpha/Beta stages. We signpost the status in the main logo and various other places.

Patrons should continue to get the special benefits, but Steam customers should get a monthly development log as well.
I agree with this and we're moving to adopt this recommendation, as I mentioned above about putting changelogs on the community wiki (among other places).

Reactions: KurbirAndrej

Verboacido

Jan 29, 2021
Hi Im having a problem, I started the game and found that it was running on the integrated graphic card, turned off to set it to run on the dedicated one and got stuck on a black screen and the task manager says not responding, changed it to the integrated graphic card and is still just a black screen and the program is not responding and is the same every time I start the game on any of the graphic cards, did I mess up bad or can be fixed? thanks in advance

4.00 star(s) 88 Votes