VN Ren'Py Completed Chasing Beth [v1.0.2] [Tora Productions]

4.40 star(s) 17 Votes

What'sNew

Oct 20, 2021
Im at the point where Serena tells Joel about her feelings for this Paul dude. I chose to leave her and it's game over :ROFLMAO:.

Might want to let ppl know this is a kinetic novel, since so far none of my choices have mattered. I could be wrong but I will keep playing to see. Will update this comment soon I guess.

edit: Yep it turns out there is only one ending to the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: xsssssssss
Jul 13, 2018
I quite enjoyed the earlier elsaverse games. Hope the 'You Made the wrong choice' now you must be forced to repeat the section until you've made the approved choice is just an experiment because it is truly awful. Found zero enjoyment from playing this game.
wth this game was actually enjoyable, the story was gold like always and well connected to the previous stories and characters in Elsaverse also other games use that and i like it , for example Power Vacuum uses that when you fail a decision , you see the bad ending and it goes back to the decision and never saw anyone complaining about that. Also Tlaero and Mortze games are in no way games where you have a bad choice and game ends like that or you get screwed over that , they are telling you a story like reading a book or a comic book you read and watch the story unfold and the story connects well with their previous stories and characters. They are pretty linear but so good to read its more of a kinetic novel ( i think that is the name right?!) . You have one MC and one main love interest and you follow their story. Your comment makes it seem like you never played their games

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
wth this game was actually enjoyable, the story was gold like always and well connected to the previous stories and characters in Elsaverse also other games use that and i like it , for example Power Vacuum uses that when you fail a decision , you see the bad ending and it goes back to the decision and never saw anyone complaining about that. Also Tlaero and Mortze games are in no way games where you have a bad choice and game ends like that or you get screwed over that , they are telling you a story like reading a book or a comic book you read and watch the story unfold and the story connects well with their previous stories and characters. They are pretty linear but so good to read its more of a kinetic novel ( i think that is the name right?!) . You have one MC and one main love interest and you follow their story. Your comment makes it seem like you never played their games
I've played all the other 4 games. I have zero memory of them having such an atrociously awful approach(pick something now loop back until you pick the other choice)

Reactions: stever

link2000

Apr 29, 2017
Hi, is anyone else having an issue where it just keep crashing - either immediately after clicking "chasingbeth.exe" , or after the first couple of screens (as soon as the MC wakes up) - no error message or anything - the game just shuts down???
Ive tried running the 32.exe version and also run as administrator.

Its only Chasing Beth. All of the other Tora games work.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
I've played all the other 4 games. I have zero memory of them having such an atrociously awful approach(pick something now loop back until you pick the other choice)
Except Saving Chloe, the other games had a scoring system that lead to several game overs if you didn't choose the right path. So it's not really such a big difference, here we just go back to the start of the scene instead of going back to the start of the game

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
Except Saving Chloe, the other games had a scoring system that lead to several game overs if you didn't choose the right path. So it's not really such a big difference, here we just go back to the start of the scene instead of going back to the start of the game
Disagree think its a massive difference.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Tlaero Will this get added to the omnibus at some point?
There will eventually be an Omnibus Vol 2 that includes Elsa's Nightmares, Elsaverse: Transitions, Chasing Beth, and some number of future games. We can't really add this to the first Omnibus because the aspect ratio of the games changed and Renpy doesn't handle different aspect ratios very well.

Tlaero

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Regarding choosing the character's name, as others have said, there are 6 major games, 11 short stories, and a novella set in this universe, and the characters cross over from one to the other. If you changed the MC's name, you wouldn't be able to tell who was who in future games.

Tlaero

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
Care to elaborate on that? A game over is a game over, you fucked it, bye, you need to start over again. Here you fail, ok, just go back to the last save point. How is this massively worst?
I've just gone back to replay finding Miranda and i'm well in and have made many choices without being forced into a gameover/endless loop of being told as a player my choices are worthless. The 'Chasing Amy' approach might as well not even bother with having choices present as they only serve to royally annoy the player by forcing them into these horrible loops. Peronslly just made me want to disengage completely from the story unlike the previous endtries. Might as well go fully kinetic hog if they don't want to even the slightest freedom in the player choice imo.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Disagree think its a massive difference.
In pretty much every game ever made, there is a mechanism where when you do the wrong thing, you fail. Sometimes when that happens you get a "game over" and you have to load your own save game. Sometimes when that happens it automatically loads your most recent checkpoint. And, sometimes when that happens, the game gives you a hint as to what you're doing wrong before you restore.

It sounds like you hate checkpoint systems. If you'd rather treat this as a "use my own save game" you're welcome to. Saves still work and you can save at any point with as many saves as you want. Also, rollback works. So, if you make a wrong choice and see the T&T help screen come up, you can just roll your mouse wheel back or press pageup like in any renpy game and go back and rechoose.

In many games, mistakes you made at the start cause you to fail hours later. You get a gameover and effectively need to start over from the beginning. This one explicitly limited how far back you had to go to correct your mistake. The goal was to make people not need a "walkthrough" to play the game. They'd try things, and if they did it wrong, they'd get some in-story advice and back up a little bit.

Tlaero

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
I've just gone back to replay finding Miranda and i'm well in and have made many choices without being forced into a gameover/endless loop of being told as a player my choices are worthless.
Finding Miranda tried something different where you couldn't fail, but if you didn't do it right, you didn't get to see the sex scene. I was vilified for that...

You're calling them "loops" as though you're going round and round and round. Is it really the case that you've gotten stuck in a loop and couldn't figure out how to move forward? Even with the T&T advice telling you what you did wrong? Most of these loops only have a couple of choices. What could I have done to make the right choices more clear?

Tlaero

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Non-canonically, there are two endings with her in that game as well.
Three, actually. Serena is a character that demanded I give her more screen time. I originally planned a small amount of content for her in SC, but then I saw the model that Mortze made and I ... had ... to give her more. I've wanted to come back to her for a while.

Tlaero

bingolebongo

May 15, 2020
Three, actually. Serena is a character that demanded I give her more screen time. I originally planned a small amount of content for her in SC, but then I saw the model that Mortze made and I ... had ... to give her more. I've wanted to come back to her for a while.

Tlaero
Oh, right. I forgot to consider the one where she isn't exclusive.

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
Finding Miranda tried something different where you couldn't fail, but if you didn't do it right, you didn't get to see the sex scene. I was vilified for that...

You're calling them "loops" as though you're going round and round and round. Is it really the case that you've gotten stuck in a loop and couldn't figure out how to move forward? Even with the T&T advice telling you what you did wrong? Most of these loops only have a couple of choices. What could I have done to make the right choices more clear?

Tlaero
I really don't see the value of having the choices at all if you have that strict a view of what is right. That just gets my back up(i'd prefer to miss a sex scene) than feel like your say over the character is pointless. I enjoyed the prior entries as there was enough illusion of choice/choice and if i enjoyed the story i would try and elements i missed. If this the direction you're customers want then fair enough but don't think i'll play future ones.

Last edited:

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
So, are you saying that you want to be allowed to make more bad choices and still continue? In many of those sections there's a variable that limits how many "wrong" choices you can make. In some previous games I had a "difficulty" setting that adjusted those variables. "Easy" would let you screw up more, etc. Is that what you want?

Or is it that, by virtue of the failable sections being short, you're able to see the mechanism easier than when it's spread across the entire game?

Tlaero

4.40 star(s) 17 Votes