VN Ren'Py Completed Chasing Beth [v1.0.2] [Tora Productions]

4.40 star(s) 17 Votes

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
So, are you saying that you want to be allowed to make more bad choices and still continue? In many of those sections there's a variable that limits how many "wrong" choices you can make. In some previous games I had a "difficulty" setting that adjusted those variables. "Easy" would let you screw up more, etc. Is that what you want?

Or is it that, by virtue of the failable sections being short, you're able to see the mechanism easier than when it's spread across the entire game?

Tlaero
Yeah i'd like to be able to make a mixture of 'worse' & 'better' choices and continue and see where that takes my version of the MC. I'd prefer to miss a sex scene than be told you did it wrong now do it as you are told(which the opening sequence definitely left me feeling). I guess difficulty settings may in effect could allow more personalisation/illusion of choice but i wouldn't say its strictly what i want. These games always have limits on character customisation/player choice but this was a definite low for me in terms of that experience.

Last edited:

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
Yeah i'd like to be able to make a mixture of 'worse' & 'better' choices and continue and see where that takes my version of the MC. I'd prefer to miss a sex scene than be told you did it wrong now do it as you are told(which the opening sequence definitely left me feeling). I guess difficulty settings may in effect could allow more personalisation/illusion of choice but i wouldn't say its strictly what i want. These games always have limits on character customisation/player choice but this was a definite low for me in terms of that experience.
Okay, thank you for your feedback. I'll reflect on it when doing the next game.

Tlaero

Reactions: xsssssssss

What'sNew

Oct 20, 2021
The sex scenes in this one are great (as usual with games done by Mortze). The fingering of the penis is very hot and not many games do it. Personally hope to see more of that in future games. In fact the whole raw energy of the sex scenes is a trademark I have come to associate with the Elsaverse, and is something I immensely enjoy.

My biggest gripe is that I am quite out of touch with the lore. I vaguely remember games like Life Changes with Keely, Darkness Falls and Coming to Grips with Christine. Other than that, I have not played the others.

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
Well, people are indeed very different. I personally hate games where I spend an hour playing and get a game over because of a decision I took an hour before. It's infuriating. It makes me save like every time I'm asked to choose a line of dialogue.

bingolebongo

May 15, 2020
Well, people are indeed very different. I personally hate games where I spend an hour playing and get a game over because of a decision I took an hour before. It's infuriating. It makes me save like every time I'm asked to choose a line of dialogue.
I just dive straight into the code to keep track of how the variables change as I play. :censored:

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
My biggest gripe is that I am quite out of touch with the lore. I vaguely remember games like Life Changes with Keely, Darkness Falls and Coming to Grips with Christine. Other than that, I have not played the others.
Thank you for playing!

The Keeley and Christine games are set in a different universe. If you'd like to play more games in this universe, a great place to start is the Omnibus:
https://f95zone.to/threads/elsaverse-omnibus-vol-1-tora-productions.90315/
It contains the first 5 games and a bunch of short stories.

There are also two short stories that take place between the Omnibus and Chasing Beth. They're really patron perks, heavy on sex, light on story, but the second one sets up this game and the next.
Elsa's Nightmares:
https://f95zone.to/threads/elsas-nightmares-ep-1-6-tora-productions.42937/

Elsaverse Transitions:
https://f95zone.to/threads/elsaverse-transitions-ep-1-7-tora-productions.66298/

Tlaero

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
I just dive straight into the code to keep track of how the variables change as I play. :censored:
It's cool that you do that. My overriding goal in designing the "gameplay" aspect of these games is that you don't need to do that, though.

Tlaero

Reactions: DanLong

Petro28

Sep 11, 2017
I just started playing and did not progress that far, but I had to say this Tlaero's writing is sublime: easy to read, smart, sweet, and very intriguing. I don't know how the story will end, I have no idea if I'll love it or loathe it, but one thing is for sure Chasing Beth is best-written vn from Tora Production.

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
Chasing Beth Condensation 3.jpg Chasing Beth Condensation 2.jpg Chasing Beth Condensation.jpg

So... I'm having this dialogue with the GF, then I run into this... and I get taken back to the start of the conversation... is this supposed to be an alternative to a "Game Over" screen?

If you want to tell a certain story, then just tell it. Don't give me a chance to roleplay then tell me "oops, we really aren't giving you a chance to roleplay".

Jul 13, 2018
same here i prefer to enjoy the story of a game instead of being stuck for hours just to figure out what i did wrong or what i was missing, just had that awful experience in a game right now to the point i had to check a walkthrough of it

Reactions: DanLong and stever

Petro28

Sep 11, 2017
View attachment 1548922 View attachment 1548923 View attachment 1548924

So... I'm having this dialogue with the GF, then I run into this... and I get taken back to the start of the conversation... is this supposed to be an alternative to a "Game Over" screen?

If you want to tell a certain story, then just tell it. Don't give me a chance to roleplay then tell me "oops, we really aren't giving you a chance to roleplay".
I understand your grievance with this for me it was also unexpected and uncanny. However, they are part of the story and they teach and help Joel to be better and help others. I think that the intention of these scenes is to show how Tanya and Tony give help and showcase the power Joel has (I assume that they are his power as Jessika's is to control people's emotions with her singing or Elsa controlling dreams).

Porthas

Feb 26, 2021
I understand your grievance with this for me it was also unexpected and uncanny. However, they are part of the story and they teach and help Joel to be better and help others. I think that the intention of these scenes is to show how Tanya and Tony give help and showcase the power Joel has (I assume that they are his power as Jessika's is to control people's emotions with her singing or Elsa controlling dreams).
Like I said earlier, if that's the story they wanna tell, that's fine. Just make it a kinetic novel. What's the point in wasting my time and making me have the conversation over again, only with the "choices" they want?

bingolebongo

May 15, 2020
It's cool that you do that. My overriding goal in designing the "gameplay" aspect of these games is that you don't need to do that, though.

Tlaero
Yeah, in your case it's more for fun than for benefit, but it depends a lot on the game. Getting everthing in RfJ would have been a hassle otherwise for me, I think. I wanted to enjoy unlocking everything but I really don't like replaying as an asshole repeatedly, so that was handy.

Petro28

Sep 11, 2017
I just finished playing and this definitely my second favored Elsaverse game.
I loved the story it was very tender and sexy, something that Tlaero can do nicely, but in Chasing Beth it was done perfectly.
The ending left me wanting more.
My speculation is that in the next game we will play as Michale which means we would play as a character with power or we will pay as Won which would be the first time as a female character.
If I have one problem with the game is that I did not get enough of Bath. I really liked her and would've loved to spend more time with her. Yes, the name of the game is Chasing Beth, but we don't spend that much time with her as with Joel who is the main character. Beth is a catalyst for the story but she is not the story. Coping with PTSD, understanding and communicating with your partner, and being a good and kind person that is the story of Chasing Beth.

Last edited:

abc123xyz

Jul 7, 2019
This is the seventh game in the "Elsaverse" series of games
What is the sixth? There were so many side games and spinoffs, I think I got lost in the series mainline games.

1. Dreaming with Elsa
  2. Redemption for Jessika
  3. Finding Miranda
  4. Saving Chloe
  5. Darkness Falls
  6. ???

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
What is the sixth? There were so many side games and spinoffs, I think I got lost in the series mainline games.

1. Dreaming with Elsa
  2. Redemption for Jessika
  3. Finding Miranda
  4. Saving Chloe
  5. Darkness Falls
  6. ???
I guess it's Elsaverse Transitions. Just grab it and read it: you won't be disappointed (moreover, it will help you to better understand what's happening in Chasing Beth).

Guys, you can enjoy the story alone without reading the other novels, but... I'd recommend you to read Saving Chloe, Darkness Falls and Elsaverse Transitions.

If you liked Beth, you'll like the whole saga too.

Jul 13, 2018
I agree. It detracts from the experience. You rarely have enough agency and information in these games to make an informed decision anyway.

I really loved 'Chasing Beth' by the way. The art as well as the tone of your games is so thoughtful and always unique. Thank you for making them.

Reactions: stever
4.40 star(s) 17 Votes