VN Ren'Py Completed Chasing Beth [v1.0.2] [Tora Productions]

4.40 star(s) 17 Votes

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Like I said earlier, if that's the story they wanna tell, that's fine. Just make it a kinetic novel. What's the point in wasting my time and making me have the conversation over again, only with the "choices" they want?
Just endure and read the story until the end. You will understand who Tony and Tanya really are and the meaning behind the scenes you're despising.

Sep 3, 2020
It's cool that you do that. My overriding goal in designing the "gameplay" aspect of these games is that you don't need to do that, though.

Tlaero
okay I'm not into open relationships

or
Being In A 'Thruple

or sharing the woman I love with anyone regardless if it's a man or a woman

but I love her and I don't want to leave her but if I stay with her

it feels like the game is forcing me into that kind of relationship I wish there was a way to stay with her but to make it clear that I want to be in a monogamous relationship

the MC keep saying he's open to that kind of relationship when I'm not I don't even get the option to say no

this has never happened to me with the other games

Reactions: Lucid Lancer

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019

or
Being In A 'Thruple

it feels like the game is forcing me into that kind of relationship I wish there was a way to stay with her but to make it clear that I want to be in a monogamous relationship

the MC keep saying he's open to that kind of relationship when I'm not I don't even get the option to say no

Just keep playing. There's nothing in that situation pointing to an open or throuple relationship, it's all about supporting your loved one to find out what she truly feels, even if that means you could lose her. If you're not confortable with that, if you as a player can't 'forgive' her for being confused or still feeling something for another guy, then the game tells you that's OK but also not the story it wants to tell, so feel free to quit. Spoiler, though: you won't lose her and she will just resume her friendly relationship with that guy, and nothing else

Sep 3, 2020
Just keep playing. There's nothing in that situation pointing to an open or throuple relationship, it's all about supporting your loved one to find out what she truly feels, even if that means you could lose her. If you're not confortable with that, if you as a player can't 'forgive' her for being confused or still feeling something for another guy, then the game tells you that's OK but also not the story it wants to tell, so feel free to quit. Spoiler, though: you won't lose her and she will just resume her friendly relationship with that guy, and nothing else
thank you so much brother I was worried because they talked about

being in a relationship with four people

I'm going back to play it right now

what I liked in the previous games is that every relationship felt like a partnership in this game it felt like I had to agree with everything she wanted and I was not allowed to object

it felt like if I objected I was a bad person

on a lot of times in the game they brought up the fact that their relationship could turn into a physical.one

and you don't get the option to say I'm not into that relationship and if it happens I'm out

Last edited:

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019

what I liked in the previous games is that every relationship felt like a partnership in this game it felt like I had to agree with everything she wanted and I was not allowed to object

The only talks about being on a 4 people relationship are made on a sexual context, about everybody being present if anything sexual happens.

You are not a bad person if you object, but objecting won't allow you to keep playing because in this case the story is railroaded and you can't really choose how do you want your character to behave: you have to support her and that's it (and then you are rewarded with her staying with you). But if you really think about it, the other games were basically the same: if you didn't say the right things the girls wanted to hear, you got a game over.

Devs wanted to tell a certain story, and allowing players to freely choose their actions and words and then see what happens is not on the menu. This might not please everybody but nothing actually please everybody, so devs just went with what they wanted to do.

Sep 3, 2020
The only talks about being on a 4 people relationship are made on a sexual context, about everybody being present if anything sexual happens.

You are not a bad person if you object, but objecting won't allow you to keep playing because in this case the story is railroaded and you can't really choose how do you want your character to behave: you have to support her and that's it (and then you are rewarded with her staying with you). But if you really think about it, the other games were basically the same: if you didn't say the right things the girls wanted to hear, you got a game over.

Devs wanted to tell a certain story, and allowing players to freely choose their actions and words and then see what happens is not on the menu. This might not please everybody but nothing actually please everybody, so devs just went with what they wanted to do.
true brother very true I would love to know the developers opinion on this

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017

or
Being In A 'Thruple

I understand. When I played Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption and Call of Duty: Black Ops I also felt bad for doing things I personally would never do! The nerve with these game devs!

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
When a writer writes a story it has to be railroaded, otherwise you won't have structure nor any story for the matter. Should a writer suddenly anticipate what every player would like to choose or do in the story current situation? Some people could think that they don't have the time nor the patience to be with someone with issues as Serena and decide "That's it, I'm outa here!". Should the writer think of what comes next if Joel decides a "Fuck it! I'm out!" and open a gazillion choices for Joel to do afterwards?

It's debatable if it's a game or a kinetic novel or a visual novel. Personally that's not important to me what tag it has. But you should acknowledge that a good written story isn't compatible with agency. Not at the level of 2 people working in a game in half a year with very limited budget.
Plus, the thing is free.

Sep 3, 2020
I understand. When I played Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption and Call of Duty: Black Ops I also felt bad for doing things I personally would never do! The nerve with these game devs!
I understand you were joking or making fun of me and I don't blame you it's just how I feel I just think that when it comes the the sexual part of any relationship

the player should have the choice to say no or I'm not into that that's all and oh if you're making fun of me I don't blame you it is ridiculous

I'm the type of guy who loves to hear other people's opinions

I'm just saying you has a right to say when something makes you feel uncomfortable

it doesn't mean you're not being loving or supportive

Sep 3, 2020
When a writer writes a story it has to be railroaded, otherwise you won't have structure nor any story for the matter. Should a writer suddenly anticipate what every player would like to choose or do in the story current situation? Some people could think that they don't have the time nor the patience to be with someone with issues as Serena and decide "That's it, I'm outa here!". Should the writer think of what comes next if Joel decides a "Fuck it! I'm out!" and open a gazillion choices for Joel to do afterwards?

It's debatable if it's a game or a kinetic novel or a visual novel. Personally that's not important to me what tag it has. But you should acknowledge that a good written story isn't compatible with agency. Not at the level of 2 people working in a game in half a year with very limited budget.
Plus, the thing is free.
brother I think you are misunderstanding me i never wanted to leave her and I have nothing against the game or the developer I have loved the previous games I'm just saying how the game made me feel I mean no offense

not all criticism is somebody being a hater or toxic

sometimes it's just a fan expressing how they feel and that's it

isn't that the point of these forums to discuss how we feel in a respectful way

and I can't read I have a reading disability so please excuse any spelling mistakes

Reactions: What'sNew

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
I understand you were joking or making fun of me and I don't blame you it's just how I feel I just think that when it comes the the sexual part of any relationship

the player should have the choice to say no or I'm not into that that's all and oh if you're making fun of me I don't blame you it is ridiculous

I'm the type of guy who loves to hear other people's opinions

I'm just saying you has a right to say when something makes you feel uncomfortable

it doesn't mean you're not being loving or supportive
There was sarcasm in my voice but I wasn't making fun of you.

What I think is that every people will feel different about the situations presented and would choose differently according to their sensibilities. But as a writer you can't possibly anticipate every person's opinions and reactions.
This is the story of Joel and Joel has his own mind set about life and things. The choices of dialogue are there but the choice is illusory. Most Elsaverse games have a canon path meaning that there's only one choice correct in every dialogue option, because that's how the character you are playing reacts.

I feel that a lot of people project themselves too much into the MC expecting the story to unfolds and presents itself according to their own mindsets. That's not how things work with the current technology, or with the one we have. Maybe in a near future with the help of AI that will be possible but not for indie devs like us and many others on the site.

When I try a game presented here on f95zone more than often I feel totally disconnected with the MC because I don't think not talk the way he is presented in the story. I don't blame the dev for making me feel that way. I just move on either by playing disconnected to the MC or quitting playing altogether. Ideally I don't project myself at all and instead try to follow the story as a witness, an onlooker, and feel empathy, compassion or hanger towards character A, B and C.
After all that's how I watch movies, that's how I read books.

I wouldn't have done half the things Anakin Skywalker decided to do but that didn't prevented me to enjoy following his character along the 6 movies saga.

I am not one to tell you how you should play and enjoy entertainment stuff. I am just expressing my opinion about why I think people don't enjoy stuff as much as they should.

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017

on a lot of times in the game they brought up the fact that their relationship could turn into a physical.one

and you don't get the option to say I'm not into that relationship and if it happens I'm out
Yeah I definitely can’t say rigid submissiveness in an Mc is something I like to see in an interactive medium.

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
Yeah I definitely can’t say rigid submissiveness in an Mc is something I like to see in an interactive medium.
But a lot of people do like that.
In fact, Getting to Know Christine is Tlaero & Phreaky most successful game, and one still on the top 10 at Playforce One after 7 years and it is explicitly about rigid submissiveness!

Who should us, as writers, try to make games for? It's a conundrum.
There's no point in aiming at pleasing the players sensitivities. A writers goal should be to write consistent, solid and interesting and complex characters. If the audience doesn't identify with but loves a character that's a win in my book.

Sep 3, 2020
There was sarcasm in my voice but I wasn't making fun of you.

What I think is that every people will feel different about the situations presented and would choose differently according to their sensibilities. But as a writer you can't possibly anticipate every person's opinions and reactions.
This is the story of Joel and Joel has his own mind set about life and things. The choices of dialogue are there but the choice is illusory. Most Elsaverse games have a canon path meaning that there's only one choice correct in every dialogue option, because that's how the character you are playing reacts.

I feel that a lot of people project themselves too much into the MC expecting the story to unfolds and presents itself according to their own mindsets. That's not how things work with the current technology, or with the one we have. Maybe in a near future with the help of AI that will be possible but not for indie devs like us and many others on the site.

When I try a game presented here on f95zone more than often I feel totally disconnected with the MC because I don't think not talk the way he is presented in the story. I don't blame the dev for making me feel that way. I just move on either by playing disconnected to the MC or quitting playing altogether. Ideally I don't project myself at all and instead try to follow the story as a witness, an onlooker, and feel empathy, compassion or hanger towards character A, B and C.
After all that's how I watch movies, that's how I read books.

I wouldn't have done half the things Anakin Skywalker decided to do but that didn't prevented me to enjoy following his character along the 6 movies saga.

I am not one to tell you how you should play and enjoy entertainment stuff. I am just expressing my opinion about why I think people don't enjoy stuff as much as they should.
thank you for voicing your opinion and telling me how you feel

and I love your game by the way

I know it's a linear story I was just talking about how it made me feel and what options I wish were in it and that's it

Sep 3, 2020
Just endure and read the story until the end. You will understand who Tony and Tanya really are and the meaning behind the scenes you're despising.
I disagree with your statement yes there can be toxic people

and developers should ignore them but no one here is being toxic . We are just voicing our opinions on how the story made us feel

I know developers that love talking to their fans and hearing how the story made them feel if it made them feel happy or sad or angry

I even know developers that loves to hear criticism

that doesn't mean they change their story

developers have beautiful conversations with people that had criticism of the story

you will be surprised. Games, where I had criticisms about I, have beautiful friendships with the Developers

Reactions: moskyx

Mortze

Game Developer
Aug 27, 2017
I disagree with your statement yes there can be toxic people

and developers should ignore them but no one here is being toxic . We are just voicing our opinions on how the story made us feel

I know developers that love talking to their fans and hearing how the story made them feel if it made them feel happy or sad or angry

I even know developers that loves to hear criticism

that doesn't mean they change their story

developers have beautiful conversations with people that had criticism of the story

you will be surprised. Games, where I had criticisms about I, have beautiful friendships with the Developers
You're right about everything you said there.

xsssssssss

Jun 17, 2017
But a lot of people do like that.
In fact, Getting to Know Christine is Tlaero & Phreaky most successful game, and one still on the top 10 at Playforce One after 7 years and it is explicitly about rigid submissiveness!

Who should us, as writers, try to make games for? It's a conundrum.
There's no point in aiming at pleasing the players sensitivities. A writers goal should be to write consistent, solid and interesting and complex characters. If the audience doesn't identify with but loves a character that's a win in my book.
Depending on the medium I'd disagree that there no point at all in trying to be nuanced to player sensibilities. The point of choice based storytelling is imo to give the player some input/agency into the story. As artists obviously you are free away from choiced storytelling to kinetic approach.

Tlaero

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2018
What is the sixth? There were so many side games and spinoffs, I think I got lost in the series mainline games.

1. Dreaming with Elsa
  2. Redemption for Jessika
  3. Finding Miranda
  4. Saving Chloe
  5. Darkness Falls
  6. ???
Sorry, I was suffering from my booster shot yesterday, and my brain wasn't fully working. Chasing Beth is the 6th game. The rest are shorter stories with no player choices.

Tlaero

Reactions: abc123xyz
4.40 star(s) 17 Votes