4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

ploopy

Sep 13, 2017
Sorry to be a bother, but I'm still looking for a solution for this issue so if anyone has any ideas that would be great! I have a Mac btw. Thanks again!
Nevermind, I'm stupid lol. I just had to update RenPy. Had been using a version from almost a year back.

Trenia

Nov 1, 2019
That's mostly correct. Points matter, but max points usually don't in the big picture is what I'm trying to say. I try pretty hard to make sure there's wiggle room so you can usually afford to make the choice that doesn't yield the most points if you don't like it. The compromise path posted above allows for the maximum relationship state with both girls even though neither Mallory or Jaye have to be at max score.
That's good to know, I typically prefer to play games as is intended by devs without mods so I was a little concerned when I reached the end of Chapter 3 and couldn't see a way to get Mallory's trust above 11/13 no matter what choices I made that I was comfortable making. I noticed with the sunbathing scene that you clearly made it so it wasn't possible to achieve maximum points with both girls anymore but it's still nice to know that I can safely continue to play without worry of missing out on time spent with the girls and simply enjoy the story being told.
Great work so far and looking forward to grabbing the steam release when it comes out.

Reactions: Lexkar83

ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
Just an educated guess here...
Shitstain is a low-level villain used by his father and uncle to get the upper hand in the forthcoming lawsuit/plot.

AD-1/ He got a job in Polygene to act as a spy
AD-2/ Nope, the fact that they found him out makes him a compromised witness that can not be used in the Polygene case unless the corrupt judge discards that and allows it.
AD-3/It's just a power play - asserting dominance as a Lawfirm owner's nephew.

Btw, you did identify a weak spot in the plot.
Using Shitstain as a spy working in Polygene mailroom and then making him appear as a paralegal for his uncle Lawfirm to serve the court order is not a very bright asspull plot twist that makes the villains, in this case, look extremely stupid and incompetent.
I expected better from Stoya, sigh.
That's not necessarily a plot hole. Christian was hired by the law firm because of his connection to Jaye; Prizer was already a client at that point. This suggests they had already had reason to suspect Polygene.

It's possible Prizer hired the firm to pre-emptively find out if Sarah had taken any of their intellectual property with her, and Christian became their inside man in the investigation. But it's also possible Prizer already had an inside man feeding them secrets, and Christian was hired to follow up on those tips. In that case allowing his cover to slip could be effective misdirection (assuming there's no immediate link between Christian and the real mole, obviously).

I know it wasn't your intent, but I do feel a little bad when I see stuff like this. I should have kept points hidden because they do more to guide conversation and disposition toward the MC than to really influence choices, with a few exceptions. (For example, at maximum trust, you can't choose to keep Mallory's access low in Ch3.)

In general, building love and trust with either or both of the ladies isn't a bad thing, and the consequences for behavior will be more choice based. Meaning, if you do something underhanded, mean, or dishonest, characters will respond in kind.

That said, I also totally understand people wanting to stay utterly faithful to the idea of one of the main LI's even if there are no consequences for failing to do so, I would just hate to see people steering clear of huge chunks of content because they're afraid they're going to get burned.

Hopefully I put enough warning signs in when somebody's fucking up a relationship. This was never going to be a "gotcha" game where if you make small mistakes or don't have a perfect score, you won't get the ending you want.
For what it's worth, I think keeping the points visible is the preferable alternative. It's true seeing points encourages us to metagame them, but I think the degree of metagaming is easy to overstate. After all, we're playing a game so trying to influence the outcome is the goal. If you hide the points and we wind up forced into an undesired outcome later on, we're just going to be even more determined to hunt down the 'mistake' and retroactively correct it even if the exact mechanics are completely invisible (assuming we don't just abandon the game in frustration).

As long as the points are visible, we can get a better sense of how the girls (and the game) are inclined to view our actions. That's a much better feedback loop for gauging just how big an impact a tempting "sub-optimal" choice might have; I know it was helpful when I wanted to skip a few love points on my main run just to avoid Jaye getting too intimate with the MC. It also gives us a better sense of how other, hidden variables might matter even when we don't see the metrics ourselves (things like major decisions, or points for non-standard attributes like jealousy or regret).

That said...

For the most part that is correct. In Chapter 2,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
with a perfect score, but not getting that
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
in no way means her path is in jeopardy. The end of chapter summary should give you an idea of when your relationship with a girl is in trouble, and I'm sure it won't take modders long to figure out what those thresholds are by looking at the calculations applied to the summary messages.

As stated in previous posts, what will really get the player into trouble is lying, cheating, or being needlessly cruel, just like in real life. Love points don't necessarily mean romantic love, because there is a "Path Open" variable pair it with. Path Closed with high love will be reflected as a more platonic affection.
I always prefer when max points are not required, so thank you for that! But I do find the split between Trust and Love a bit confusing. Consider this summary:
Frenemy.jpg

I'm told Jaye wants to work alongside the MC despite actively disliking him. My goal in this run was to mend fences with Jaye in a purely platonic way. Judging by the Trust score, it looks like I succeeded. But judging by the Love score it looks like I failed spectacularly. Within the game, the dichotomy is present as well: Jaye will seem happy to work with the MC in one scene, but lament to Tara that it's like the MC is a stranger in another.

Now granted, some of that may come down to me trying different choices (compared to my main run) just to see what happens, but I was never trying to dismiss Jaye. Perhaps it would be better if the results of each stat took the other stat into account as well? Maybe something along the lines of:

Chapter Summary (Love Points)Low TrustHigh Trust
Low LoveJaye has begun to actively dislike you.Jaye fears she will never be more than friends with you.
High LoveJaye is still drawn to you, even against her better judgement.Jaye is on the verge of admitting the love she kept secret.

I know that might become impractical as the game progresses; it's a quick suggestion, take it for what it's worth. But do I think it would help clarify things a bit. As is, I'm not certain what high Trust is meant to indicate for an MC Jaye dislikes. I suppose it could be some level of "she knows where she stands with you," but that seems very different than wanting "to carry on your parents' legacy by your side."

Mar 28, 2018
As I have said before, a great update and I look forward to your future updates. However, I do have a small niggle. As it stands at the moment anybody can undertake R&D investigations into ANYTHING they want, irrespective of any IP that may exist at the time (all governments want their population to build a better widget - current example is the overlap in R&D and IP for covid-19 vaccines). IP protection only kicks in when the infringed party actually wants to disrupt perceived ongoing exploitation, and yes there are lots of companies out there that deliberately develop workarounds to undermine existing IP (which is not that hard given the rather rigid rules associated with Patents). So to me the lawsuit and search of a competitors assets as described in the game would not fly in the west.

bosp

Jan 3, 2018
That's not necessarily a plot hole. Christian was hired by the law firm because of his connection to Jaye; Prizer was already a client at that point. This suggests they had already had reason to suspect Polygene.
Not contesting this statement for the obvious reason - his uncle knew very well what Christian did to Jaye (bailed him out from a similar situation with another girl) and probably hired him as a paralegal to provoke a hostile reaction that could help the case - a proper sneaky move from unscrupulous and sneaky lawyers.

It's possible Prizer hired the firm to pre-emptively find out if Sarah had taken any of their intellectual property with her, and Christian became their inside man in the investigation. But it's also possible Prizer already had an inside man feeding them secrets, and Christian was hired to follow up on those tips. In that case allowing his cover to slip could be effective misdirection (assuming there's no immediate link between Christian and the real mole, obviously).
Prizer knew their fertility drug is a bust and decided to get their paws on Sarah's research in Polygene in order to find out if her research can make their failed drug project work - the main cause for the lawsuit to obtain it in a semi-legal way. - which, subsequently, points out that their attempts at obtaining her research by means of corporate espionage were ineffective and bare no results.
Now comes the tricky part... as a pharmaceutical giant, well versed in the ways of corporate espionage, influencing and guiding FDA, bribing judges, and all the other sinister stuff those kinds of companies do with unlimited funds to hire the best professionals in the field - spies, hackers, lobbyists - they decide to install a dimwit Christian as their asset in Polygene. How believable is that?

Excuse me but, pharmaceutical companies are notoriously careful in protecting their IP so any new Polygene hires are bound to undergo a rigorous and professional background check and Christian with his history would have been red-flagged immediately and kicked out. Heck, there should have been his picture on the wall in the Polygene lobby with a warning - "if you see this man punch him in the face".

Using Christian character as a plot twist was either/or situation.
In my opinion, he has served a perfect role in resolving the ch 1 cliffhanger appearing as a paralegal delivering the court order.
Extending his role into corporate espionage by getting him hired to work in a Polygene mailroom was a complete miss-shot. One that a smart and ruthless corporation like Prizer would avoid because it would be like putting all their eggs in one, not so clever and unbreakable, basket.
No, the right course of action would be to hire a top-class spy or a hacker and not some dimwit with a piece of heavy baggage that could backfire on them at any moment and ruin all their well-laid plans.

Not buying it so, maybe not call it a plot hole but a bad decision on behalf of the writer if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
As I have said before, a great update and I look forward to your future updates. However, I do have a small niggle. As it stands at the moment anybody can undertake R&D investigations into ANYTHING they want, irrespective of any IP that may exist at the time (all governments want their population to build a better widget - current example is the overlap in R&D and IP for covid-19 vaccines). IP protection only kicks in when the infringed party actually wants to disrupt perceived ongoing exploitation, and yes there are lots of companies out there that deliberately develop workarounds to undermine existing IP (which is not that hard given the rather rigid rules associated with Patents). So to me the lawsuit and search of a competitors assets as described in the game would not fly in the west.
The suing party is not searching the company in this case. The accusation is that Polygene marketed a product using the IP of Sarah and James' previous employer, and a court order by a potentially compromised judge has put a broad injunction on the company's operations until the matter has been addressed.

The IP search was Polygene's own legal department trying to determine if there was anything to the allegation, not a third party or government intruding into the company's R&D. It was all in-house.

In the United States, a court order or injunction signed by a judge with the appropriate jurisdiction has broad authority to do pretty much whatever the judge deems appropriate. There is a process for dealing with excesses or rogue judges, but it's not immediate in most cases.

That said...Poon game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
Now granted, some of that may come down to me trying different choices (compared to my main run) just to see what happens, but I was never trying to dismiss Jaye. Perhaps it would be better if the results of each stat took the other stat into account as well? Maybe something along the lines of:

Chapter Summary (Love Points)Low TrustHigh Trust
Low LoveJaye has begun to actively dislike you.Jaye fears she will never be more than friends with you.
High LoveJaye is still drawn to you, even against her better judgement.Jaye is on the verge of admitting the love she kept secret.

I know that might become impractical as the game progresses; it's a quick suggestion, take it for what it's worth. But do I think it would help clarify things a bit. As is, I'm not certain what high Trust is meant to indicate for an MC Jaye dislikes. I suppose it could be some level of "she knows where she stands with you," but that seems very different than wanting "to carry on your parents' legacy by your side."
Thank you for the thoughtful feedback.

Indeed it did occur to us toward the end of this update that there would use cases where Trust and Love do not line up. In general, most playstyles won't have a huge delta between love and trust, so it's a corner case, but one that we recognized we would need to address.

As such, I have already added a Path Open variable that will identify for code purposes whether a girl is even pursuable romantically, and future calculations will be made with a peer stat check as well as a check against the Path Open variable to determine the end of chapter summary report text.

One nice thing is retrofitting these report statements won't require replay. It will simply be an update of the reporting logic at the end of chapters for variables that have already been assessed.

Appreciate you taking the time to articulate your thoughts so concisely.

Last edited:

GTBALL_BALLY

Unknown User
Apr 5, 2020
Anyone have all the achievements for Chapter 3?
all of the achievements of chapter 3 except one
was not able to find the last one

special delivery
creeper
greedy
Teflon chef
unstoppable
lone wolf
backstabber
leap of faith
no confidence
catalyst
suicide blonde
swipe left
conscientious objector
backup plan
donkey show
game on
semper fidelis
Edgewood
bridge burner
even Steven
therapist
intimate
twat-swatter
bet on red
bet on black
pathfinder
second sunset

if anyone found which one am i missing and how to unlock it please reply

Reactions: MV_1999

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020

special delivery
creeper
greedy
Teflon chef
unstoppable
lone wolf
backstabber
leap of faith
no confidence
catalyst
suicide blonde
swipe left
conscientious objector
backup plan
donkey show
game on
semper fidelis
Edgewood
bridge burner
even Steven
therapist
intimate
twat-swatter
bet on red
bet on black
pathfinder
second sunset

You're missing "rocket man." Avoid all of the missable content in Ch3 for a very short update.

CHAD-MAN

Aug 12, 2017
That said...Poon game.
This game is screaming love triangle, and I am freaking lovin in. Without spoiling much, am I looking finally to a non-harem game a la Bioware where you cant just bang... well, end up with all of them? Also, how much cat fighting can we expect in the future? There's already displayed jealousy, but having them fighting for the MC attention should be the next logical step.

Also, not sure if I am crazy or not but Jaye looks much better in late Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 than the rest of the game. Only criticism I have with the models is how much both Jaye and Mal bewbs look too much like ballons and not real (its not the size, more like the shape itself).

Anyway, consider me hooked. I like this sort of slow burn games filled with sexual tension. I just hope it doesnt take forever to update like certain games *cough* Radiant *cough*. But looking how we got 3 chapter and a prologue, I sure am excited to follow this one... and I havent been excited like this for a long time.

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
This game is screaming love triangle, and I am freaking lovin in. Without spoiling much, am I looking finally to a non-harem game a la Bioware where you cant just bang... well, end up with all of them? Also, how much cat fighting can we expect in the future? There's already displayed jealousy, but having them fighting for the MC attention should be the next logical step.

Also, not sure if I am crazy or not but Jaye looks much better in late Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 than the rest of the game. Only criticism I have with the models is how much both Jaye and Mal bewbs look too much like ballons and not real (its not the size, more like the shape itself).

Anyway, consider me hooked. I like this sort of slow burn games filled with sexual tension. I just hope it doesnt take forever to update like certain games *cough* Radiant *cough*. But looking how we got 3 chapter and a prologue, I sure am excited to follow this one... and I havent been excited like this for a long time.
Thanks for the kind words. This is a case where kink tags sort of amount to spoilers, and we're being quiet about the possible end-game world states because we think knowing will change how people play, potentially causing them to play toward an end rather than play in the moment of the story.

I think a lot of people expected Jaye and Mallory to be at each others' throats, but I don't feel like playing an MC in the center of a catfight is generally a popular scenario. We already occupy a content niche with a story-forward VN, relatively small main cast, and heavy character development. It feels like making the MC walk on eggshells to avoid setting off one girl will probably push more people away than pull them in.

We typically shoot for a 90-day development cycle, but we missed it with Chapter 3 by several weeks. Since this is our first effort at development of any kind (I have zero background in coding, and Kentyrr has zero experience in 3D art before Chasing Sunsets) we are learning first-hand how much work branching paths adds to a release. Some report that Ch3 feels short, but anyone can unren the game and see that we objectively had more renders, dialogue, and code than any previous release. Yet with so much of it being missable based on choices, that criticism will always be a risk.

We make every effort to be up front and transparent with our patrons about delivery, though for obvious reasons we don't typically update the F95 community with the same diligence. That said, our Patreon updates typically make it here within 24 hours of being posted through other fans anyway.

For more information on our process and planning, don't hesitate to visit the Stone Fox Studios . There's a lot of insider information there.

One other thing - I tend to follow this thread for a few weeks after each release because it's a great feedback and bug report resource, but step back from it during the development cycle, so it's best to bring your questions to our Discord, which is linked in my signature. You don't have to be a patron to join.

Last edited:

felicemastronzo

Devoted Member
May 17, 2020
Made my second run, let's say Mallory centric but without mistreating Jaye.

Fully enjoyable though overall secondary to the redhead's, in my opinion also quite predictable.

I'm glad that in the new chapter the two girls don't start immediately on the warpath (maybe it changes something if one of them hasn't been treated properly?), and on the contrary surprisingly they seem to have a certain complicity, could it be the calm after the storm?

graphically this game is really high level, the story is very cartoonish, but I do not say this in a negative sense, it could turn in a moment in the genesis of a superhero or a supervillain (2 girls from the mysterious birth induced by unidentified drugs ...)

i repeat: the scene with Tara is absolutely the best sex scene i've found here, really excellent, with 3 people who "love" each other and get what they dream of, avoiding the big taboo that normally blocks them. too bad it seems to be a dead end

CHAD-MAN

Aug 12, 2017
Thanks for the kind words. This is a case where kink tags sort of amount to spoilers, and we're being quiet about the possible end-game world states because we think knowing will change how people play, potentially causing them to play toward an end rather than play in the moment of the story.
Well, consider me a fan despite only discovering it now. Sorting through the garbage (and by garbage I dont mean devs whom actually try to do nice things instead of just luring patrons by kinks and not actual game development) is always hard, but when game like Chasing Sunsets appear, it does brighten my day.

I do find particularly amazing you guys' starting out of no where and are already able to piece something very nice together without resorting to just porn, unlike 90% of the stuff of the genre. I might end up seeing some of your YT vids since I plan to do the same and like yourselves I have 0 knowledge on most part like coding and working on Daz in depth (despite putting together a couple nice scenes together). But its games like this that keeps me inspired to grab my scripts and attempt to do something nice to give people aswell. You seem like nice devs and a 90 day cycle is nothing compared to what I've seen.

Do you guys have a suggestion box tho?

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
Well, consider me a fan despite only discovering it now. Sorting through the garbage (and by garbage I dont mean devs whom actually try to do nice things instead of just luring patrons by kinks and not actual game development) is always hard, but when game like Chasing Sunsets appear, it does brighten my day.

I do find particularly amazing you guys' starting out of no where and are already able to piece something very nice together without resorting to just porn, unlike 90% of the stuff of the genre. I might end up seeing some of your YT vids since I plan to do the same and like yourselves I have 0 knowledge on most part like coding and working on Daz in depth (despite putting together a couple nice scenes together). But its games like this that keeps me inspired to grab my scripts and attempt to do something nice to give people aswell. You seem like nice devs and a 90 day cycle is nothing compared to what I've seen.

Do you guys have a suggestion box tho?
Just send me a private message on this site. I don't visit this thread every day, but I do check my mail. :) Best of luck pursuing your vision.

Reactions: MV_1999

Thedude2181

Aug 17, 2019

special delivery
creeper
greedy
Teflon chef
unstoppable
lone wolf
backstabber
leap of faith
no confidence
catalyst
suicide blonde
swipe left
conscientious objector
backup plan
donkey show
game on
semper fidelis
Edgewood
bridge burner
even Steven
therapist
intimate
twat-swatter
bet on red
bet on black
pathfinder
second sunset

I do not have Donkey Show, how did you get that one?

4.60 star(s) 308 Votes