4.60 star(s) 308 Votes

Deleted member 2808342

Cliffhanger Vendor
Game Developer
Sep 4, 2020
What are the chances of following my earlier suggestion ^^^ ? As an added bonus it would give people like me an added incentive to replay the newest chapter with music later on!
While that may sound like an easy way to move up the release timeline, it adds complexity precisely where we don't want it:

We're already trying to merge the Steam and Patreon branches into a single package, and a third branch that's stripped of music just adds another codebase to worry about exactly when we're trying to refine the unified release branch--Effectively doubling our beta tester workload while taking my eye off the ball.

We're not pushing out months here, but weeks rather, or we would look at a more drastic mitigation path.

Last edited:

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Hope things work out. Count me in with "Cabin Fever" as one who really values music in these games. I've played a few that had no music and even though the games were semi interesting they were really lacking environment feel due to the lack of fitting music.

Happy to back you guys on Patreon, this is a great game so far. :cool:

BBZ01

Apr 26, 2021
Maybe just me but I always mute the games and have Planet Rock playing or just play my CDs etc...

Reactions: Ilhares
Mar 26, 2022
Maybe just me but I always mute the games and have Planet Rock playing or just play my CDs etc...
I'm doing the same, but only when game has royalty free music pulled straight out from generic YT videos. In some AVN games, like for example: CS, Leap of Faith or BaDIK music is just important part of them.

bosp

Jan 3, 2018
Could say I told you so but what would be the point?

During SFS's frantic rush to get CS to Steam I advised them to get in touch with a trusty quality music composer (specializing in creating music for AVNs) to make an original score for the game. My advice was mostly ignored.

Music franchise services contracts nowadays are riddled with small print clauses that allow them to change the TOS.
Not that it happens often but AVNs are a kind of a gray area so something like that happening was always a possibility.

Drifty experienced it firsthand and this created a myriad of problems for other creators too - a kind of a reminder of the old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times".

Anyway, it's always good to learn from other people's mistakes, and maybe, just maybe, sometimes you could take advice from people with modest experience under consideration to actually be in your best interest.

CHAD-MAN

Aug 12, 2017
Anyway, it's always good to learn from other people's mistakes, and maybe, just maybe, sometimes you could take advice from people with modest experience under consideration to actually be in your best interest.
No offense, but I'd take yours and everyone else's on the internet so called "advice" with a grain of salt... if I'd bother myself even reading it. Not sure if you contact them on discord, PM them or just wrote here on F95 but, yeah, I'd probably tell you to mind your own business aswell, directly or indirectly. Its their game and so, their mistake to make.

NewTricks

Forum Fanatic
Nov 1, 2017
No offense, but I'd take yours and everyone else's on the internet so called "advice" with a grain of salt... if I'd bother myself even reading it. Not sure if you contact them on discord, PM them or just wrote here on F95 but, yeah, I'd probably tell you to mind your own business aswell, directly or indirectly. Its their game and so, their mistake to make.
As it has often been said, the worst of the vices is advice.

Reactions: Ilhares

bosp

Jan 3, 2018
Just for the record, while that's the common attribution, there actually isn't an old Chinese curse that translates to that.
Not per se, that translation is attributed to Lord Chamberlain and I presume he managed to capture the real meaning pretty well.

bosp

Jan 3, 2018
None was taken, mea culpa, I forgot how people usually get conniptions when getting the advice they did not ask for no matter how benevolent or in good faith it was given.

ugulugulu

Feb 3, 2020
Acting as entitled as ever eh bosp? You do realize that they haven't been able to see your posts since shortly after the prologue was released, right? Courtesy to your loveable personality.

bosp

Jan 3, 2018
Acting as entitled as ever eh bosp? You do realize that they haven't been able to see your posts since shortly after the prologue was released, right? Courtesy to your loveable personality.
And a very nice day to you too Sir.

Since you are not a native speaker I won't hold it against you for not knowing what "entitled" means.

As far as I can remember, Stoya and I (and you too) had fairly amicable conversations until probably a couple of months ago when I stopped posting in this thread.

I see no reason why he should not be able to see any of my posts unless he put me on ignore after the prologue but, if he did, I must have probably deserved it - as you said - my lovable personality might be the culprit.

No hard feelings, I aim to please.

TittyLuvr1334

Aug 4, 2018
This is purely subjective of course, but try watching a movie on mute, with subtitle on. Most people will then realize how much they under-estimate the importance of music to the experience. One can easily argue that's a good analogy for a VN game.
QFT. There's a reason people such as Howard Shore, Danny Elfman, John Williams, James Horner win major awards for their contributions.

Reactions: ename144

TittyLuvr1334

Aug 4, 2018
As far as setbacks go, we consider ourselves blessed. We got this far without any major hiccups. :) I can't imagine playing Leap of Faith without Drifty's music, and I hope he's able to find a solution. We hate seeing bad things happen to good people.
Yah I've played through LoF twice. It would not have near the true special feeling and impact without the carefully selected music pieces he added.

Reactions: Klopdwerg

TittyLuvr1334

Aug 4, 2018
I do this on some game - one that have quite generic carnival like background music. But there are those where the song choice is matched to the scene for added emphasis - and those I keep the music on. Essentially it's a conscious choice made after well in to the game and I can conclude if the music is adding anything or just annoyingly repetitive filler.

TittyLuvr1334

Aug 4, 2018
Exactly! The most impactful was
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I agree.

And to keep this appropriately topic-centric to this thread, I am one in the camp of make it right the way you want it first then release it - if it was meant/imagined/envisioned to have aptly chosen mood music for the desired outcome you (dev, writer) had in mind, then by all means make that happen, and no doubt as a whole the project will be better for it, and better appreciated.

And for any of the CockHero video fans
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

More often than not - playcating to select others and not to your own vision leads to disappointment and regret. That's my opinion at least.

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
Not per se, that translation is attributed to Lord Chamberlain and I presume he managed to capture the real meaning pretty well.
And your presumption would be wrong. There isn't any old Chinese phrase or curse that's remotely close to that meaning.

4.60 star(s) 308 Votes