PederSilver5

Aug 18, 2020
NovusPeregrine
I'm legitimately curious about what's going on in the back-end in your game, particularly in the online version.
There is no reason loading times should be as long as they are between scenes, even for poverty internet it shouldn't be more than a minute or so to load. But my halfway decent internet sometimes takes much longer than that. Even more frustrating is that on some loading screens, I'll check my download rate and it will be at 0kb/sec. I would assume that's just my internet taking a shit on me, but the connection's fine as refreshing a page on another website will make it spike right up to >1Mb/sec.
All it should need to load is a few still images (maybe an mp4 or two depending on the scene), code for the buttons, text, check for relevant variables, and run a little RNG. Also, looking at the download file size (>10GB, holy fuck!) that suggests there's A LOT of optimization that needs to be done. What is bloating your game so badly? Any chance we can get at least a half-assed assessment of what assets weigh how much? There is no reason a game like this should be so massive.

I don't want to come off as mean in any way. You ARE making a good game, but the amount of bloat makes it hard to enjoy. This is purely intended as constructive criticism. I'm by no means a world class coder but plenty of people on this forum would be happy to help with this issue.
I wasn't going to download this until I read your complaint. I have a good ISP and BW, so even though the dominance by chaos and evil isn't that appealing nor playing as a female protagonist... Just to see how fast it loads, then I might as well take it for a spin see what is shakin' Download time = 1 minute so I think its your machine, or your isp. Clean out your cache!

qwsaq

Feb 2, 2020
As to wanting to know what's going on in the back-end...you and me both! I'm using Visual Novel Maker, and their engine is basically inaccessible. All I have to work with is the GUI/Scripting I can manipulate from the creator-side. And from what I can tell, their engine is a ^$#@%ing mess. I seriously regret choosing it but by the time I realized what a total piece of shit it was, I was too deep into development to change course. Honestly, you're better off downloading it, particularly as I've started trying to provide patches between versions. The online version was only ever intended to help people who didn't want to download the files, couldn't get the DL version to work, or who wanted to play on mobile. Considering how much my host is bitching about my data usage, I will probably discontinue the online deployment as soon as the game is actually finished.

-----------------
As for the size...I'm really really really tired of explaining this. So this will be the last time I do so. Period.

Rough Sizes:
Size of the Game Engine Itself: 1.5gb
Size of the 5+ HOURS worth of HD Video: 8.5 gb
Size of the thousands of still images: 1.5gb

ALL still images use JPEG compression. ALL movie snippets use WEBM compression (VP8 is used : Sadly VP9 is not supported by the VNM engine). All video is 24 fps 1080p, all jpeg images are similarly 1920x1080. And please keep in mind this is VIDEO, not the 3-5 frame animation loops you see in most games.

The simple truth is that this game is already heavily compressed. Sadly, compression isn't magic no matter what the people of the internet believe. This is also not your namby-pamby 3-hour visual novel. Unless you're skipping like a mad loon, the game probably has 10-15 hours of content, at minimum. And that WITHOUT grind mechanics. Frankly put, five-plus hours of 1080p HD video is large, even under compression. The download is large because the game has more content than virtually any other 2 or 3 adult games combined. The sheer number of encounters dwarfs even games like Harem Hotel or Mythic Manor. Though, I manifestly DO NOT claim the scenes are as high quality or original as those extremely good works. There's simply a genuinely massive number of such encounters. Somewhere around 285 unique encounters, plus variants.

I know the game is large. I know that sucks. But there's literally nothing more I can do to fix that, not without drastically lowering the quality to a level I find completely unacceptable. I provide multiple download mirrors, an online version, and most recently version upgrade patches, in an attempt to mitigate the pain of having to download such a large amount. Please do not bitch and moan, or worse accuse me of needing to optimize. From this post on, I will not respond to such comments again, as they show a lack of basic awareness and common sense about how compression works, or else that the poster hasn't played enough of the game yet to realize how freakin massive it is, content-wise. And, worse, that they haven't bothered to read any of my other numerous explanations on the subject.

And no, I'm not angry at you specifically. Actually, I'm not 'angry' at all. Just utterly fed up with that being the single most common comment and compliant, while I struggle to get even my most loyal patrons to tell me what they actually like about the game. Constructive feedback is amazing. Bitching about something beyond my control because I'm not a wizard or immortal space god that can warp reality to make problems go away, is not. You specifically weren't overly impolite about it, so I apologize for making this rant in reply to you directly. I've simply heard this unreasoning complaint too many times.
Ah, I'm sorry. I do know very well that there are limits to what compression can achieve. I personally would be happy with lower quality (within reason of course) in exchange for a smaller file size. But the standards you set for yourself are your business and it's certainly not my place to judge.
Suggestion:
Link this rant in the OP with the phrase "to those concerned about the download size" or somesuch that you don't get this question again.

Reactions: NovusPeregrine

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
Ok thought there would be some graphics, but there are none. Done and done
Um...I don't know what on earth happened for you, but there are 5 hours of HD video and thousands of still images. Something went VERY wrong if there are no graphics. Also, just FYI, there's no dominance by evil or chaos in any of my games, I hate that shit. Did you...even post this comment about the right game?

Ah, I'm sorry. I do know very well that there are limits to what compression can achieve. I personally would be happy with lower quality (within reason of course) in exchange for a smaller file size. But the standards you set for yourself are your business and it's certainly not my place to judge.
Suggestion:
Link this rant in the OP with the phrase "to those concerned about the download size" or somesuch that you don't get this question again.
Sadly, the way the engine works it would be almost impossible to release multiple resolutions. The resolution has to be set when you start up the project and there's no easy way to copy data from one project to another. I'd have to spend several dozen extra man-hours to make, say, both a 720p and 1080p release. The resolution I settled on for the game was less 'what I wanted' (my other game, Haven's Port, uses 2k renders exclusively) and more 'what I felt was the happy medium.' Of course, even I badly underestimated how large the project would grow as a result. But by the time I had realized that I was 6 months into the development. At first, after all, it didn't seem that bad. Definitely a mistake I've learned from, but one I'm stuck with for the remaining time on this game. Which, thankfully, should only be another 2 major releases. The game is nearly complete at this point.

Putting something in the OP is a good idea, since I do have edit approval for it. I'll likely just rephrase the rant and put it in a spoiler tag though, rather than link it. Thanks for the useful thought.

starshin882

May 13, 2020
what needs to be done to change the status to Unbelted, I constantly go to sleep automatically at night?

Last edited:

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
Tropical Docks 2.jpg Tropical Island 6.jpg Cowgirl Start 2.jpg Chate Maid 2.jpg Mistress First Pass 4.jpg Mistress First Pass 6.jpg
Whew! Time for a new release of Chastity Quest! I just , which means we are really near completion of the game. There's just one more major release planned...though don't worry, I'm already planning for another game, in addition to Haven's Port. At any rate, Build 14 introduced the final major area of the game, adding a solid 30 scenes for it. Additionally, it included the addition of Music for the game (finally) and overhauled several major systems (such as Fast Travel) for quality-of-life purposes.

And, of course, with the release of Build 14 for Patrons, . Build 13 was a huge build, adding 39 new scenes that completely finished both New Landing and the College of Allund. See the release notes on the main post for more details for Build 13....and for Build 14...

Build 14 Release Notes
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Enjoy everyone!

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: qwsaq

Yellow Pheaver

Jan 20, 2019
im getting a data error saying chastity quest build 13 windows.zip

was able to download part 1 but not the other 3 parts

Plvy1n

Dec 8, 2020
Guys faced with the problem that there is no sound in the game you can not hear voices there is no music there is nothing just silence who has the same problem please unsubscribe.

NovusPeregrine

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2017
holy fuck, is there a way to put all the parts together?? not to download them one by one
im getting a data error saying chastity quest build 13 windows.zip

was able to download part 1 but not the other 3 parts
GRRRRRR. I'm sorry. One of the mods/uploaders here is apparently a GINORMOUS ASSHOLE and keeps removing the officially supported download links in favor of his or her partial file solution. I have no issue with the partial file solution being ADDED. But it's starting to seriously piss me off that he or she keeps deleting the official links I add in favor of their personal solution. You'll find that I've re-added the offical links to the main post. Also, you can always find them in the at my Patreon Page.

lol this is literally skyrim
No it is not. Skyrim is used for the graphics only. All story, all the world creation, and the massive massive massive amount of text and other original content is just that, original. Using Skyrim to gather visual assets is no differnt than using Honey Select to do the same thing. Take your judgemental bullshit elsewhere.

am I imagining it or is it Skyrim?
A very heavily modded version of Skyrim is used for capturing visual assets. The game itself, however, is not in any way related to Skyrim. It's a completely original world, a mix of RPG and Visual Novel, with far more interactive depth than Skyrim allows for with its NPCs.

Guys faced with the problem that there is no sound in the game you can not hear voices there is no music there is nothing just silence who has the same problem please unsubscribe.
As of the build posted here, there is no sound in the game. This is something I've explained numerous times, so this will be the last time I do. The audio options are built into the engine, not something I added. Music has been added as of Build 14. Voices will never be added as I can't realistically add synched moaning/sex sounds to 300+ scenes. And no, the original sounds from the Skyrim mods are not useable as the vast majority of scenes are not direct captures of single animations. Many or most of them are compiled by me (via video editing) from several other animations, in order to make them properly fit story needs. As such, original sounds from the mods usually don't fit what is happening.

Jun 24, 2017
No it is not. Skyrim is used for the graphics only. All story, all the world creation, and the massive massive massive amount of text and other original content is just that, original. Using Skyrim to gather visual assets is no differnt than using Honey Select to do the same thing. Take your judgemental bullshit elsewhere.
Rude

3.60 star(s) 8 Votes