desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Who here likes the Tobs method of writing for the MC? That weird no quotation summarized dialogue thing. I know there is a lot of Tobs hate around here, but what do you guys think when just looking at this mechanic in a vacuum?

Personally, I don't really mind Tobs content, although Hime Kinu is getting on my nerves lol (that's what I get for choosing based on her looks). This method of speaking for the MC is really cringe af though. Maybe it just screams "self insert here." Maybe it's the way he writes it. It's hard to describe... but that weird sarcastic tone and overuse of Hmm? Oh? We--ll... etc. just makes me picture the MC as an insufferable neckbeard.

throbzombie

Oct 15, 2020
Who here likes the Tobs method of writing for the MC? That weird no quotation summarized dialogue thing. I know there is a lot of Tobs hate around here, but what do you guys think when just looking at this mechanic in a vacuum?
It helps cut down on the heaps of flowery tryhard crap that we'd have to suffer through otherwise. I mean, if you can't write dialogue, then just don't. Give us the Cliff's notes instead.

Oct 4, 2019

Personally, I don't really mind Tobs content, although Hime Kinu is getting on my nerves lol (that's what I get for choosing based on her looks). This method of speaking for the MC is really cringe af though. Maybe it just screams "self insert here." Maybe it's the way he writes it. It's hard to describe... but that weird sarcastic tone and overuse of Hmm? Oh? We--ll... etc. just makes me picture the MC as an insufferable neckbeard.
I at least prefer it over some of the scenes where your character is forced to seem like a bumbling idiot, or an asshole just because the writer feels like putting words in your mouth. I get that you can't make a good main character without writing dialogue for them at some points, but sometimes I hate what our character just ends up blurting out. Which Tobs is guilty of as well, but I do like it when they can leave it up to interpretation and still make it seem cohesive.

j_ericson

Aug 28, 2021
Don't really care for how each writer does mc dialogue but prefer a mix of direct and indirect. Tobs and wsan are the only ones who refuse to budge from their extreme ends of the spectrum to the point of it hurting the writing. There is only so many times I can read wsans dialoguised grunting and moaning or tobs find replace pronoun upshifting til it gets tiring. Some things are better said directly and others, particularly by the likes of skow and garde, could work better as "you say/do x".
Still the most hilarious example where tobs insistence on indirect dialogue is in Gwyns daddy roleplay where he wrote
"I love you, daddy."
You love her too, sweetheart.
just makes me picture the MC as an insufferable neckbeard.
It's hard for a writer to remove himself from his work.

Jul 22, 2019

It's generally terrible, but it's not terrible because of the no quotations stuff, just because tobs can't write dialogue for shit unless it's intended to be stunted or overly professional. The overuse of the words/sounds you mentioned is definitely something that should be caught before it's sent off to the coding mines or wherever they keep their single programmer.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
What is the scaling factor for different damage types on weapons? Like if you eternal delusion with it's mental damage type, does it scale still scale with attack power?

NODOGAN

Dec 11, 2017
What's up boys! it's been a minute since i been here lol (still holding out for an update that lets you level up to 7 before playing)

Wanna ask a question regarding Kassyrra tho:

If you don't have sex with Kass in the Winter Palace (but weren't outright hostile with her and had sex with her in every other encounter) then do you still unlock her content? (that whole dream realm thingie and repeated encounters i've heard you all talk about.)

Kallisto

Jun 6, 2019
I can't fucking stand it. Sometimes it's confusing because it's part of the narration, so I can't tell if the MC actually said the words out loud or is simply thinking them until another character replies. And as someone who writes, it just looks off and amateurish. I'm not sure if I've ever seen a published work (self published or through a publishing house) that used that style of writing dialogue. So that further makes it look like a fanfic writer who developed bad writing habits but is now too comfortable to change them and simply calls it their personal style.

I do wonder though, if I wouldn't mind the style if - like others have said - Tobs didn't use it to make the MC act however he needs them to in the moment (ie: usually stupid or ignorant). Maybe if he didn't use it as a vehicle to further hinder the player, I would be able to tolerate it more.

Kroenen12

May 25, 2020
If you don't have sex with Kass in the Winter Palace (but weren't outright hostile with her and had sex with her in every other encounter) then do you still unlock her content? (that whole dream realm thingie and repeated encounters i've heard you all talk about.)
did you hug her?

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
that whole dream realm thingie and repeated encounters i've heard you all talk about
The whole dream realm is like five squares, on one of which is sits Kassire..Kassyre...Cassidy...how is her name again? from time to time. And all "repeated encounters" is just a "fuck her" "fuck me".
Or there are some other "repeated encounters" that are unlocks after winter palace Im not aware of?

Raf-Raf

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 4, 2019
Why can't they give us enough storage space?
"Immersion" and "Lore reasons" and the worst part "Item management"
This is an incompetent "team" like the time they released a buggy update that should've only took a minute to fix but they waited for a day or two instead to fix the damn thing and they have a fucking writer that thinks parental love is incest.

Oops I nearly started making another wall of text full of swearing and ranting.

Last edited:
2.90 star(s) 107 Votes