smuk

Jul 4, 2017
It initially had sandbox elements, like when you first enter the cafe you click to move around the rooms... but Cosy decided against it and removed them in a patch a few months back. I prefer it this way.
good choice imo. unnecessary elements just create more obstacles for dev then create new opportunities. game plot not presume variety into MC's actions, for now at least.

Reactions: Wajou

Ultimecea

Dec 13, 2020
It initially had sandbox elements, like when you first enter the cafe you click to move around the rooms... but Cosy decided against it and removed them in a patch a few months back. I prefer it this way.
i dont consider that as sandbox
it's just a small detour but glad it became unnecessary

good choice imo. unnecessary elements just create more obstacles for dev then create new opportunities. game plot not presume variety into MC's actions, for now at least.
the game werent intended to be a sandbox at all in first place
the small roaming experience is just for you to see the cafe as said by the author

Lathe29

Jan 20, 2023
the game werent intended to be a sandbox at all in first place
the small roaming experience is just for you to see the cafe as said by the author
From a 0.3 Dev Log:

The new version also gets rid of the sections at the beginning and end of the early days in 0.1 where you had to click on the bed and stairs to advance the story. These were leftovers from before I released the game, when I still had sandbox style plans, but they served no purpose any more and some people found them distracting.
Also an old post from Cosy:

Yep, originally had sandbox plans, even did the coding for a management system for the cafe and stats for the girls etc. But as the game progressed I decided that I wanted to stick to a VN, as that would allow me to tell the story better with all of the girls in a unified harem, instead of splitting them into their own independent routes. I'm either going to rework, or just completely remove, the last remaining sandbox portion at the beginning of the game in the next few updates.
So there definitely were plans for it, just never happened.

Ultimecea

Dec 13, 2020
From a 0.3 Dev Log:

Also an old post from Cosy:

So there definitely were plans for it, just never happened.
yes, i was there in the early days and i experienced v0.1
but thats not what i meant lol
what i meant is that this VN will not work as a sandbox
it was never meant to be one at all
no matter how you wanted to change the whole lot
but once you saw the true path, VN GOD will never accept a cafe simulator

Man propose but GOD dispose
and idk how you read this VN
but seriously you can see that this VN will never work if it's a sandbox
especially not with the plot

Cosy Creator

Game Developer
Dec 11, 2022
yes, i was there in the early days and i experienced v0.1
but thats not what i meant lol
what i meant is that this VN will not work as a sandbox
it was never meant to be one at all
no matter how you wanted to change the whole lot
but once you saw the true path, VN GOD will never accept a cafe simulator

Man propose but GOD dispose
and idk how you read this VN
but seriously you can see that this VN will never work if it's a sandbox
especially not with the plot
You're both right. It was originally intended to be a sandbox with management elements where you had to level the girls' stats and your own skills to make money through the cafe, however I quickly saw that the story I wanted to tell would work much better as a KN, which is why I ended up where we are now.

Ultimecea

Dec 13, 2020
You're both right. It was originally intended to be a sandbox with management elements where you had to level the girls' stats and your own skills to make money through the cafe, however I quickly saw that the story I wanted to tell would work much better as a KN, which is why I ended up where we are now.
dont worry, once you finished the masterpiece
you can make the cafe simulator as mini game

PaxHadrian17

Sep 8, 2020
It is tough to manage a sandbox type game without falling into the grinding trap.

A cafe simulator in this setting would have to have a major focus on $.

This would have taken some of the focus away from the relationships that the MC was building with the women and that the women have begun to build among themselves.

I think the choice to tell this story in an AVN format was the best choice, allowing you to build relationships at the intended pace and create a seamless experience for the reader.

IMO - Good call!

Cheers!! :coffee:

NoL1feK1ng

Feb 9, 2021
any news on 0.8? i know dev said about half of it is already written so how are the renders coming along? i'm too addicted i cant wait

Jimskeleton

Nov 9, 2020

Hey guys!

Welcome to the first dev log of 0.8, and also of 2024. For those of you who have recently joined with the release of 0.7, thank you, and welcome! I do these dev logs every other Sunday.

That's not the only thanks I want to give this time though, as the 7th of January marked the one year anniversary of Cosy Cafe's 0.1 release. There are so many more of you here supporting me than I ever imagined there would be when I was creating that first release, and I just want to let you all know that I really appreciate it! I hope to live up to your expectations and create a great story for you all to enjoy this year too!

Now, on to the actual dev log:

As with every update, you guys have helped me a lot by tracking down all of the typos that slipped through into the 0.7 release, so I've fixed those, but the main change in 0.7.1 is actually a small new feature: I've added a "Hide UI" button to the bottom of the game screen. This was primarily being requested by mobile users, since PC users can press H or middle mouse button to hide the UI, but I decided I might as well have the button on all platforms.

Of course, the main thing I've been working on over the last couple of weeks has been writing 0.8 - it's now mostly finished, with only a couple of scenes left to do, and I expect the final word count to come in around 16,000-17,000 words. It's a single day update again, meaning it's the longest single day in the game to date (I feel like I break that record with every update recently) .

The primary focus of this update will be on Catherine, Miss Takamura, and, obviously, Akatsuki. All three of these characters will make a fair bit of progress this time around, but there will also be a fun scene with Lucy, and the brief introduction of one of the last two unmet love interests.

Next, a change I plan to make that will impact the entire game with 0.8 - music. I want to add themed pieces of music for each girl, as I've done with Sarah in the last couple of updates. I intend to go back through all of the earlier content to make each girl's theme present from the beginning, assuming I get time. If not, this might get pushed to 0.8.1, but I'll do it eventually.

Finally, the release date - I'm aiming for the end of February to maintain the usual two month cycle, but I'll give you a more definite date closer to the time.

I'll speak to you all again in a couple of weeks, at which point I should be neck deep in the rendering process.

As always, thank you all for supporting the game!

- Cosy Creator

giqui

Conversation Conqueror
Compressor
Nov 9, 2019

Hey guys!

Welcome to the first dev log of 0.8, and also of 2024. For those of you who have recently joined with the release of 0.7, thank you, and welcome! I do these dev logs every other Sunday.

That's not the only thanks I want to give this time though, as the 7th of January marked the one year anniversary of Cosy Cafe's 0.1 release. There are so many more of you here supporting me than I ever imagined there would be when I was creating that first release, and I just want to let you all know that I really appreciate it! I hope to live up to your expectations and create a great story for you all to enjoy this year too!

Now, on to the actual dev log:

As with every update, you guys have helped me a lot by tracking down all of the typos that slipped through into the 0.7 release, so I've fixed those, but the main change in 0.7.1 is actually a small new feature: I've added a "Hide UI" button to the bottom of the game screen. This was primarily being requested by mobile users, since PC users can press H or middle mouse button to hide the UI, but I decided I might as well have the button on all platforms.

Of course, the main thing I've been working on over the last couple of weeks has been writing 0.8 - it's now mostly finished, with only a couple of scenes left to do, and I expect the final word count to come in around 16,000-17,000 words. It's a single day update again, meaning it's the longest single day in the game to date (I feel like I break that record with every update recently) .

The primary focus of this update will be on Catherine, Miss Takamura, and, obviously, Akatsuki. All three of these characters will make a fair bit of progress this time around, but there will also be a fun scene with Lucy, and the brief introduction of one of the last two unmet love interests.

Next, a change I plan to make that will impact the entire game with 0.8 - music. I want to add themed pieces of music for each girl, as I've done with Sarah in the last couple of updates. I intend to go back through all of the earlier content to make each girl's theme present from the beginning, assuming I get time. If not, this might get pushed to 0.8.1, but I'll do it eventually.

Finally, the release date - I'm aiming for the end of February to maintain the usual two month cycle, but I'll give you a more definite date closer to the time.

I'll speak to you all again in a couple of weeks, at which point I should be neck deep in the rendering process.

As always, thank you all for supporting the game!

- Cosy Creator
Very competent and committed to your supporters and followers ... (y)

Reactions: Cosy Creator

grisax

Oct 12, 2020
Thanks to cosy-creator for creating such a sexy game.
I made quick repack (80% image quality) of version 0.7.1 (New Year release) using amazing UAGC tool if anyone would be interested.

Cosy Cafe v0.7.1 compressed repack:

Original size: 3.29GB
Compressed size: 1.5GB

Download: , ,

Last edited:

Rizzler97

Dec 26, 2022
Another Amazing update. Interesting to see more of Catherine and Hannah development and how they interact. I'm also loving Sarah more and more every update she was really cute trying to cheer up MC but i do miss our kitty cat. Looking forward to 0.8. Thx Cosy

Husmi

Dec 8, 2021
This game has probably turned into one of my favourites on this site, I like the main girls a lot, and the developmend looks fast enough, is the game going to be finished soon? (soon meaning this year xD) since it's close to 1.0, or will it go to 0.10 etc, just wanted to know, since if it's going to be finished this year, I'd rather wait and play it again when it's finished, instead of playing each update.

4.70 star(s) 163 Votes