DeathAl

Jan 26, 2019
A very good start.
Even if I'm not a fan of the Point & Click/ "investigation" part, well I just hope that it will remain light and not "that we will have to remember that we found a handkerchief three hours ago and give it to npc #563 to get things done."

I also hope that in the future, the MC will be more active, because at the moment apart from serving as a diversion (and being a good doggy for the witch) and getting killed (again), he doesn't do much.

But still a good start.

Pitrik

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Oct 11, 2018
1682336307208.png

Monday Update #88 | Adressing the Feedback

It's been quite a while since the last Monday Update, but now they are back as development returns to it's usual cycle. In this very first installment I want to talk about the feedback I got for Version 0.1 and how I really struggled with it.

First of, I want to preface this post with the disclaimer that I really struggled to find the words for this Monday Update. It might be a bit disorganized at points and I might repeat myself or explan things you might find redundant. Now, let's get to it.

I was expecting people to love Children of Morn right from the get-go. Some people might read that and think I'm an idiot, but it is simply the best and most advanced work I've ever done. The graphics made a big jump, the animation improved, the sound is much more detailed, the music is really interesting (in my opinion even great), the writing got better, I even have specially recorded moans for the girls. This game is the peak of my current ability and I thought people would see that and love it. I don't think I'm overstepping when I say that, at least technically, it is one of the highest quality games in the adult game scene. Even though it is no more than a prolog.

But I was wrong. At least partially. People did love it, I got many positive and excited messages, much more than I got negative ones, but I was careless and dropped my guard. Usually when I read feedback, I keep an emotional distance. It makes the positive feedback less rewarding, but also keeps the negative feedack from hurting me, this time I got overexcited and the negative feedback hurt, badly.

I'm not really interested in addressing everything individually. I'm not one for whining when it comes to bad feedback, but I do have to say some things about it this time, because I felt a disconnect that I didn't have in the past. I expected some people to hate the new game, I expected people to be annoyed by the hundred open questions, I expected people to dislike the witch and her pact, but I didn't expect people calling the game average or not even playing because they are afraid the entire game is focused on femdom after 30 minutes of gameplay in a project I'll be spending 2-3 years of work on. And I didn't expect a bunch of 1 star reviews for those very reasons.

Now, I'm not pleading for anyone to change their review or opinion of the game. If you don't like it, that's fine with me. If you think it's just average, that's fine with me. If you don't like the MC being called a "servant", that is absolutely fine with me. I know that Children of Morn won't be for everyone and that is fine. All I want, is some patience. To all the questions I received, all the negative and positive criticism, I can only say, wait for future updates. I'm pretty sure that most things are gonna clear up, that your issues are gonna be addressed and if they aren't addressed in 3-4 updates, than you might simply dislike the game for good and I'll have to go back and start making changes. But for now, I say patience.

The plot for Children of Morn is already written out in it's entirety. And like Enna warned when she offered the pact, I can't tell you what exactly you'll see, but I'm convinced that this game will become my best work yet. We'll have to wait for a few years to see if I was right or wrong : D

PS: I did see that the majority of feedback was positive and I thank you very much for it! I don't like focusing on the negative too much, but this time felt like a special occasion to me.

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
Honestly, I Loved V0.1 The fateful choice felt really interesting for multiple reasons. First, it put in opposition morale and reasoning. All the clues where there to show that following Enna was a morally grey decision at best and that not accepting her offer may result in us going back to the eternal slumber. So it put the player in a difficult situation and force them to think about their answer. How far are you willing to go? Would you rather die than submit to someone with the power of life or death over your head. And that is just on the player feeling side. There are also gameplay reasons why I like that choice and how it is executed. It shows the player that this is a game with wrong decisions. And also that the game will let us try again without to much consequences. That combined with the ''detective'' sequence make me wonder if the correct answer to go forward might not always be in your face making it a kind of puzzle game. Also I wonder about secret bad ends.

I am also looking forward to the shop management portion of the game. That one is a real mystery for me. Pitched as the financing portion of the game.

Up to this point it is really promising. also the improvement on Mist are already showing.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Honestly, I Loved V0.1 The fateful choice felt really interesting for multiple reasons. First, it put in opposition morale and reasoning. All the clues where there to show that following Enna was a morally grey decision at best and that not accepting her offer may result in us going back to the eternal slumber. So it put the player in a difficult situation and force them to think about their answer. How far are you willing to go? Would you rather die than submit to someone with the power of life or death over your head. And that is just on the player feeling side. There are also gameplay reasons why I like that choice and how it is executed. It shows the player that this is a game with wrong decisions. And also that the game will let us try again without to much consequences. That combined with the ''detective'' sequence make me wonder if the correct answer to go forward might not always be in your face making it a kind of puzzle game. Also I wonder about secret bad ends.
While I agree with you to some extent, the main problem with that choice is that it basically becomes "Do you want to play this game or not?". And even if we ignore that; the player really has no context of the person so there is very little to go on from a role playing perspective to choose one or the other. And for those of us who think the reject option is the sensible option the choice becomes a forced one.

Knight_of_the_lance

Feb 23, 2020
While I agree with you to some extent, the main problem with that choice is that it basically becomes "Do you want to play this game or not?". And even if we ignore that; the player really has no context of the person so there is very little to go on from a role playing perspective to choose one or the other. And for those of us who think the reject option is the sensible option the choice becomes a forced one.
Well to me it is also supposed to feel that way. In my first post I compare the two choices as one being on the side of morale and ethics and the other on the side of reasoning. I am never talking anywhere about a sensible choice. that is for the player to decide. I am with you in that this was a hard decision for me. On one end refusing to submit to a witch who seems up to no good has all the Danger neon signs over it. On the other she already raised us from the dead, she already has power over us. So I don't feel like we will live long by not submitting to her ( spoiler the game does not go far in that direction.)

As a player that choice does not feel good, but it is interesting and making me feel something witch is great. Honestly does the abrupt end surprise you after that choice? Because it didn't surprise me. You could say that I expected it. I already saw it in other games. Not word for word but almost. The difference is that here I feel, as a player, that this choice is more than just for novelty. Well it might be now seeing how Rathieu was affected by the feedback to this first version.

In AVN we are spoiled, we rarely have choices where we feel two parts of ourselves torn apart. To me seeing all those reaction to this particular choice tells me that the dev succeeded in presenting us with a truly difficult choice that is not simply pulling an Acting lesson on us. Perhaps he did it too well?

Reactions: bacienvu88

Unknown Developer

Game Developer
Nov 4, 2017
It's looking even better than Mist. We gonna have to wait and see if the story is as good, but after Mist being as good as it is, I'm pretty confident this game is going to be good. I'm just not sure if animations of a frame rate so smooth and so high quality is easy to make for the updates to be frequent, but let's see.

4.10 star(s) 37 Votes