Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
o what is going on in the background i can pick a few beats together
A lot of "little things" that are only introduced/explained later in the game.

For instance there are characters or objects very shortly popping up in the far background you have not met yet, there are thoughts MC has while walking which he either ignores or immediately "disproves" in his head, ...

When a hamster is on screen is not the only time you'd need to pay attention to the whole picture.

Well, I mean you can but you'd miss some hints to later content.

Reactions: ArhraCole

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
can anyone else not get past the lack of noses?
You mean you don't acknowledge or like japanese anime art style in general?
Because that is what it is.
Watch ANY anime and you'll see "no noses" in them.
Even "western anime" like ye olde 'teenage mutant ninja turtles' have "no noses" for the human characters.

That whole complaining thing about art is as old as art itself.

So no.
You are about the only person I know that does not get past the lack of noses

Last edited:

aereton

Digital Hedonist Games
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
can anyone else not get past the lack of noses?
There are noses of course, but I know what you mean. There is a noticable lack of.. how should I put it.. "edge"(?) to facial structures I guess, especially when framed in frontal view. It definitely irritated me at first as well. I got over it eventually though and now I don't mind at all, in fact I think the LIs all look cute as hell.

tacosnap123

Mar 3, 2018
A lot of "little things" that are only introduced/explained later in the game.

For instance there are characters or objects very shortly popping up in the far background you have not met yet, there are thoughts MC has while walking which he either ignores or immediately "disproves" in his head, ...

When a hamster is on screen is not the only time you'd need to pay attention to the whole picture.

Well, I mean you can but you'd miss some hints to later content.
ah ya i been foucsing on mainly whats going on might have seen a few things and just forgoten about it. damn hamsters

aereton

Digital Hedonist Games
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
Maybe it's just me, but I just do not care about Ori and her story. She feels so out of place and you're forced to just go along with it. Just seems like shes filler keeping us away from the main cast/story, but maybe that's just me
Yeah I feel the same. Old friends/exes rarely get portrayed satisfactory enough, it's just hard to write and the fact that she's kinda bland in a roster next to Vampires, Succubi and more certainly doesn't do her any favours lol. I bet she has some fans and it's okay not to like every single one of the girls but I get the frustration when being forced to go through her story. Makes me not that excited about next update because I know I'll have to suffer through more Ori. At least we'll get some more Church exposition though, so it's not all bad.

Jul 31, 2021
Yeah I feel the same. Old friends/exes rarely get portrayed satisfactory enough, it's just hard to write and the fact that she's kinda bland in a roster next to Vampires, Succubi and more certainly doesn't do her any favours lol. I bet she has some fans and it's okay not to like every single one of the girls but I get the frustration when being forced to go through her story. Makes me not that excited about next update because I know I'll have to suffer through more Ori. At least we'll get some more Church exposition though, so it's not all bad.
Honestly I do want to understand where she's coming from with all this wanting to join the church nonsense but it's literally just brainwashing. I've said this twice over in other posts on this thread but if she ends up being a little too stubborn about her stance with the church I'd want an option to bench her route too if that makes any sense at all. :KEK:

I just have a sinking feeling that after all the (possible) chaos that's going to happen when Ren comes for her ceremony/ritual thing she's going to remain adamant in wanting to go through with it. Or she might see some reason, we might also get some more backstory about why so who really knows (hoping this upcoming update doesn't cuck us with another cliffhanger). Cheers.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
Honestly I do want to understand where she's coming from with all this wanting to join the church nonsense but it's literally just brainwashing. I've said this twice over in other posts on this thread but if she ends up being a little too stubborn about her stance with the church I'd want an option to bench her route too if that makes any sense at all. :KEK:

I just have a sinking feeling that after all the (possible) chaos that's going to happen when Ren comes for her ceremony/ritual thing she's going to remain adamant in wanting to go through with it. Or she might see some reason, we might also get some more backstory about why so who really knows (hoping this upcoming update doesn't cuck us with another cliffhanger). Cheers.
Issue is that Ori basically is portrayed as former LI and childhood friend.
The moment she entered MC's peripheral vision after (forcefully?) being separated for so long he cares about her very much.
The player might not feel remotely as strong.
Basically see her as sort of collateral for the overall story that you'll have to accept, even if you don't like to embrace it.
She more or less is a way for MC to learn more about the adversaries.
If he gets Ori out of their clutches good.
If not too bad so sad.

I as the player would love a way to permanently say bye to ori. I don't really care that much about her and I rigorously hate the church and anything that is attached to it.

aereton

Digital Hedonist Games
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
(hoping this upcoming update doesn't cuck us with another cliffhanger). Cheers.
Fat chance, Vertigo was already shitposting on his discord that we better not get used to lack of cliffhangers like in this update (0.28) lmao :KEK: :KEK: Guess it's just a big huge meme at this point and people were weirded out without one this time.

Basically see her as sort of collateral for the overall story that you'll have to accept, even if you don't like to embrace it.
She more or less is a way for MC to learn more about the adversaries.
That gives me a devilish idea... If dev feels really brave he could use Ori as a vehicle for MCs character development, her dying for example. Might be quite crass but personally I wouldn't mind. Not easy to pull off though, because as you said the player doesn't care about her as much as MC does in-universe. Doesn't have to be as dark either, her leaving him behind for good could be enough. Certainly don't want another Trouble in Paradise situation with a moody broody cringey edgy MC lol. Just spitballing here.

derekthered56

May 30, 2018
Ren's plan of just grabbing her and running is really, really stupid, so I imagine the church will do something obviously evil in front of her so Ren can have a chance to actually succeed.

Jul 31, 2021
Ren's plan of just grabbing her and running is really, really stupid, so I imagine the church will do something obviously evil in front of her so Ren can have a chance to actually succeed.
It most definitely is dumb and I do hope some of these spurr of the moment plans he has are limited seeing as he's supposed to be smarter than he let's on sometimes but in this case I'd rather chalk it up to him being overly passionate for a friend who he thinks is in need of help.

Granted at least he's not going in there without an escape plan. I don't doubt there might be something shady that we will see from the church next update, I'm just really hung up on the fact that Ori might end up being too stubborn to see reason. Cheers.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
Granted at least he's not going in there without an escape plan. I don't doubt there might be something shady that we will see from the church next update, I'm just really hung up on the fact that Ori might end up being too stubborn to see reason. Cheers.
Well .. fat chance on that.

With meeting Miko and the others and revealing they are the "demons and devils" the church warned her about AND the mentioning that Gob and Yob did attack and almost kill MC has already planted doubt in Oriannas mind.
You can be sure that Ori will investigate and try to reach out to her colleague who got ... introduced prior to her.

Don't forget Orianna originally hails from Scotland which is particularly known for both whiskey and hardheaded people.
When she notices that the curch wants to do something with her that she does not want after now knowing "the enemy" she is bound to get defiant.
It is likely her "Knight without shining Armor" aka. the MC is going to disrupt the ... apparently ritual gangbang and save her as well.

/edit
There is a strong possibility that MC himself is not (fully) human himself.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Orianna can maybe decide that meeting Miko and the others was more like a ruse to get her to like them.
But MC is supposed to be her childhood friend which she apparently liked and learned to love him (even if she did not knew it as a child) for a long time.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Dwarin

Jul 3, 2018
Yeah, if more had been done to develop her backstory so she seemed more meaningful to the MC (and we, the players, saw more significance in her) I think I'd care more. Her significance has been mostly in some text blocks and pretty much every other girl has had the same number of scenes in-game as her at this point.

If we'd gotten some sort of scene with more info about her, like if Suzu had found an old photo album just after moving in (early in the story) and going through the photos had the MC info-dump about Ori, his family, young Kana and Kagome (and their old family) it might have made Ori seem more special or interesting (and setup more about the other characters earlier). But right now it feels like she is just one more random girl that we just ran into.

As it is, it feels a bit like the MC is just a bit obsessed with saving every girl that crosses his path - including this one that so far kinda hates pretty much everyone else he knows just for existing - so my big interest in the Church for the next update is less about Ori and more about hopefully finding out what/who the guy who attacked the school is/was.

Brannon

Nov 2, 2017
- so my big interest in the Church for the next update is less about Ori and more about hopefully finding out what/who the guy who attacked the school is/was.
My guess is since that guy allegedly is from P.O.O.P and not the church (I'm not 100% sure if that is true, it may be that P.O.O.P is just a "scapegoat sect" of the church. Or that he is part of a previously unknown even more violent hidden adversary that considers both mythkind and church it's enemy (which btw. would set up a nice "enemy of my enemy" uneasy alliance plot twist with the church)) we'll at max see him again.
Maybe for the next cliffhanger ...

Reactions: Fantasy Catharsis
Jul 24, 2020
As a first-time player, I enjoyed myself immensely. Eventually, anyway.

Honestly, the start was a little hard to get through, primarily because of the MC. While he didn't seem like a wimp, he did feel overly passive to me and not at all what I would expect a detective to be like. Didn't ask enough questions, didn't seem curious enough, and trusted too quickly. I was pretty sure he would get murdered two days after he gets assigned a case where the culprit actually IS a cute girl.

I also didn't like how he didn't literally take his gun everywhere after getting almost killed twice and finding out myths are real. I mean, yeah, you're going on a date with a girl, and bringing a gun is not usually your first instinct, but when both you and the girl have already been attacked multiple times, maybe it's a good idea to bring some protection! Even if you're on a date! Personally, I would have gotten a second gun, just in case.

I also felt he dropped the mother topic with Uraha too quickly. I mean, my mother is alive and well, but when a 500-year-old vampire tells me they "heard about her," I'd like some more information than that, let alone if she were dead.

Then, some minor things, like during Miko's date, where the MC gives her a box of chocolates that seems to appear and disappear into thin air. It's kind of funny when such things get acknowledged, like the MC thinking where they pulled this and that from, but when it's not, it's just weird.
There was also the time when the MC had already told Miko about Suzu staying at his apartment but later worried about telling Miko that exact same thing.

Anyway, having said all that, from about halfway into where the game is at now, I started enjoying myself a lot more as the MC started seeming much more like what I would expect someone like him to be.

I still have some grievances, though, like the MC still having failed to check the handwriting in that notebook. I mean, yeah, the case is basically over, but be a little more thorough; why don't you?
He also still has too many times where he "Doesn't know why he did/feel/say/think this or that." Even if it has gone down by a bit.
Like the time when he "Didn't know why he felt like kissing her," and I'm just sitting here thinking 'dude, you have a beautiful girl on your lap with her face close to yours while you're looking into each other's eyes. I would have revoked your straight male card if you didn't at least THINK about kissing her.'

It seems I somehow ended up complaining about the MC again, but I honestly enjoy both the MC and the game now. The setting and story are both intriguing, and I'm excited to see more.

There aren't really a lot of adult scenes yet, but the ones that are there are good, and I see a lot of promising stuff for the future.

4.40 star(s) 89 Votes