Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Personal feedback on that:In the main menu, the game takes about 300 mb of Ram, in the laggy docks, it more than doubles to around 700, usually below that.
Though tbf I probably wouldn't have noticed, nore cared, if it was 3x as much.
Javascript is interpreted language, which mean at least half of that 3.5 gigs is a text that should be turned into processor instructions, which is reaaaaalllllllllyyy fuuuuuuckkkiiiiiiiing sllllllooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuwwwwww.

Reactions: bruce555

Crazy_Chameleon

Game Developer
Jun 1, 2019
Well taking up 3gb is clearly an issue. Especially if you have a lower end laptop or something and only have 4. But it's not an issue I'm in a realistic position to solve. Like I said it's a needle in a haystack and what's more in MY haystack that needle doesn't exist .. I'm sorry you're having these issues but I don't see what I can feasibly do to help.

Have you tried other rpgmaker mz games to see if the issue persists? If it does this with other games you'd be better of bringing this up on the rpgmaker forums.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Well taking up 3gb is clearly an issue. Especially if you have a lower end laptop or something and only have 4. But it's not an issue I'm in a realistic position to solve. Like I said it's a needle in a haystack and what's more in MY haystack that needle doesn't exist .. I'm sorry you're having these issues but I don't see what I can feasibly do to help.

Have you tried other rpgmaker mz games to see if the issue persists? If it does this with other games you'd be better of bringing this up on the rpgmaker forums.
Dont know is that rpgm mz or no, but SOME of recently update games have same problem for me.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
Okay, find out where problem is. Its not rpgm mz bug...or at least not core rpgm mz problem.
Its line 23 in js/plugins.js aka "VisuMZ_2_WeatherEffects". For some reason it eat memory on my machine like a chrome browser. If I comment it, game takes expected 400 mb of memory.

Here console screenshot where I disabled it/commented. Highlighted game loading region on a timeline. It taken only roughly 3 seconds to load it to main menu in opera.
new.jpg

And here screenshot where it enabled/uncommented. Yes, its almost entire timeline. It takes more than 90 seconds to load game to the main menu. Its with attached debugger, mind. Most of the time was spend doing some "task".
new_1.jpg
Here unwinded call stack.
Opera almost shit its bed while trying to piece together all profiled information into event log.
new_2.jpg
I have no Idea what it tries to do here, since the only uncommented line in "VisuMZ_2_WeatherEffects.js" looks like
new_3.jpg
so that "task" is some 'js machine opcodes' or something, dunno. Javascript is not my speciality. I cant even debug it and find out where exactly problem is and why it triggers only on my machine, since it literally BEE BOOP BIP PEEP BEEP.

Crazy_Chameleon where did you get that VisuMZ family plugins/addons? They comes in bundle with rpgm mz?

Reactions: UnDeaD_CyBorG

snslty

Aug 29, 2021
I also confirm that the game takes an ungodly amount of time to start up from black screen to menu screen (several minutes, and my machine should be able to deal with any RPG maker games easily).

Crazy_Chameleon

Game Developer
Jun 1, 2019
Okay .. that is a recent addition to the game and also surprising. It's not used much in the game yet .. Certainly not in the scene where it is taking up so much memory. So for the next update I'll see what removing it does. The visustellaMZ are a bunch of plugins and are usually considered the best ones. In fact no other plugin in that family has had so much as a signet of a problem. But I wanted to improve the atmosphere for dungeons. But if it's causing huge memory spikes then it's probably best left alone. Coupled with the fact that people have reported that the one instance where I actually USED the weather effects lagged up the game.

Thanks for getting to the root of the issue :) You clearly know more about this kinda stuff than me lol. I'm actually REALLY surprised that plugin was the cause of it especially in scenes where it had no role whatsoever.

Quintilus

Engaged Member
Aug 8, 2020
I'm actually REALLY surprised that plugin was the cause of it especially in scenes where it had no role whatsoever.
Thats because of how they implemented.

On game launch game reads and executes (to check for errors, turn text to more or less valid code, etc.) all js files.
Somewhere here it reads VisuMZ_0_CoreEngine files which latches/attaches/hooks up on rpgm internal functions, to provide unified interface for all other visuMZ addons aka 'I dont need to modify rpgm code multiple times, I done just it once, yaaaaaaay'. So its technically virtual machine inside of a virtual machine.
When rpgm reads that VisuMZ_2_WeatherEffects file whatever is in VisuMZ_0_CoreEngine put content of a fist file into a queue execution loop. So even if weather effects are not present on screen, rpgm still checks each single frame is it there or no. Yes, even when games are still loading it checks should it execute code of, and for, all loaded visuMZ addons.

Feb 1, 2022
Investigate Samantha is really confusing, who else do I talk to besides the cops and that one scavenger guy? Also why is combat so unbalanced? I feel like no one can consistently do good damage and I'm getting beat up all the time even as I keep leveling up

Crazy_Chameleon

Game Developer
Jun 1, 2019
Investigate Samantha is really confusing, who else do I talk to besides the cops and that one scavenger guy? Also why is combat so unbalanced? I feel like no one can consistently do good damage and I'm getting beat up all the time even as I keep leveling up
The cops mention someone snooping around the crime scene. He appears once the scavenger and the cops have been talked to. Also I designed combat around you buffing and preventing damage with tanking abilities. Stuff like Pepper's smoke bombs and Jet's sentinel stance can prevent a LOT of damage if used correctly. In the next update the frequency of combat should go down too. The demon Lords annihilation stance is a huge defensive debuff too. Pair that with Vanda's rolling buffs and at a certain point you can just decimate the enemy.

I do playtest the combat and you are given a LOT of tools when compared to most rpgmaker games starting out. I didn't want combat to be an affair of just trade attack commands or slightly better attack commands disguised as skills. And I wanted the enemies to be a credible threat.

To this end Pepper's smokebombs will protect anyone they are used on until THEIR next turn comes around. (Not Pepper's.) So if you use smokebombs on pepper with a load of enemy turns between you and the next ally. You've efficively nullified ALL of those enemy turns. And her smokebombs can also almost guarantee an ally will survive until the healer's turn comes around.

Just make sure not to use it with a bunch of ally turns next or it's not much good. However with a speed roh pepper is often so fast that she will act before and after her allies and before enemies. Being that insanely fast makes placing better smokebombs easier. Turn order matters XD

In Jet's case her sentinal stance gives her six counter attacks. However she can't counter and is rather vulnerable to magic. Which necessitates mage sniping when using her as a tank. Luckily the demon lord's mana drain is extremely effective at shutting down casters. You don't have to kill them if they can't cast any spells.

Against physical attacks jets stance almost guarantee's that she will not only take no damage AND be the target of the attack .. But also makes her riposte with light damage.

However!! I will be doing some playtesting and tweaking between each version. I'm not saying I can't get the balance wrong. But a lot of people who say that they are just taking huge amounts of damage aren't using their abilities correctly. Make sure you try out your characters tools. They are super effective!

But if this kind of rpgmaker combat isn't for you .. that's fine. That's what debug attack is for. And even once the game is finished I plan to leave it in as an optional story mode toggle. I don't mind at all if people want to experience the game that way. The difficult combat will be there for people who want that challenge .. And skippable for those that don't. I didn't think there was much point in putting easy, boring combat in the game.

Inthe95zone

Aug 27, 2020
When you're talking to the Mailloux near the crime scene, if the little cat is walking around directly behind you when the conversation is done, you will attempt to walk into the cat, but will not be able to proceed and the game will freeze. This is especially insidious because, as happened with me, I saved right before the conversation options, and at that point there is no way to avoid the cat.

Crazy_Chameleon

Game Developer
Jun 1, 2019
When you're talking to the Mailloux near the crime scene, if the little cat is walking around directly behind you when the conversation is done, you will attempt to walk into the cat, but will not be able to proceed and the game will freeze. This is especially insidious because, as happened with me, I saved right before the conversation options, and at that point there is no way to avoid the cat.
That really shouldn't be an issue on the latest build. I'll check it again.

Inthe95zone

Aug 27, 2020
I have all 5 objectives complete for the Vajra Infuser quest, but I've not gotten any ping to go back to Mailloux. As far as I can tell, since completing the last objective (for me, getting the regium ore) I've interacted with every person and gone to every location. Still, I can't find a way to advance the story and complete the quest. What am I missing?

Crazy_Chameleon

Game Developer
Jun 1, 2019
Can you send me your save over discord? If there's something that's gone wrong then I can figure it out from your save state and fix it for you. If you've finished all those objectives then you should get a final scene when you return to Samantha which is the end of the current build. If you've somehow managed to break things then I need to know how so I can fix it for the next build. Because completing all those objectives SHOULD proc the final scene.

Last edited:

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
I have all 5 objectives complete for the Vajra Infuser quest, but I've not gotten any ping to go back to Mailloux. As far as I can tell, since completing the last objective (for me, getting the regium ore) I've interacted with every person and gone to every location. Still, I can't find a way to advance the story and complete the quest. What am I missing?
I remember that. For me, as I was there, I immediately went inside, then got the call to go there after I went there. ^^
Still worked for me, though.

Crazy_Chameleon

Game Developer
Jun 1, 2019
We figured out the problem over discord the bug you mentioned should be fixed in latest release. And his 'bug' was actually that he hadn't gotten human form yet so didn't get the pepper scene. I need to railroad the player into getting human form at least it seems.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
We figured out the problem over discord the bug you mentioned should be fixed in latest release. And his 'bug' was actually that he hadn't gotten human form yet so didn't get the pepper scene. I need to railroad the player into getting human form at least it seems.
Is human form avoidable? :sneaky::coffee:

4.50 star(s) 4 Votes