3.50 star(s) 125 Votes

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
All the comments were saying they don't like Amanda anymore or her behavior is out of character, and apparently this wasn't the response Palmer wanted because it's locked behind a paywall now. Incredible.
The comment is already here and please continue making comments to it. Due to the new layout of the Patreon posting system and doing so many public post recently I clicked the wrong tier button. Simple as that. But you already have the entire comment here and I'd be happy to answer questions, etc. Have a good one bud!

TheKryptonian

Truth, Justice, and TheKryptonian way...
Donor
Nov 22, 2018
We are always open to feedback and listen closely to it. Damage control? No way. Me and AW are happy with Ch 14 and Amanda's reasons for distancing herself, and her emotions changing between rage - quietness - sexual feelings, etc. Because she doesn't know what to do. Especially given her age. We feel that makes sense regarding what she just learned the MC had done to her mom. But we do listen very closely to how other people react to it, and debate whether we should have gone another way instead.
That would absolutely be a valid point but you forget the next few chapters have been spoiled here already and the reason does NOT match up at all with her reaction.

PPE2RedDucks

Oct 3, 2018
View attachment 231526

There's been a lot of comments regarding Amanda's behavior recently after the release of the free Chapter 14. She's been called "insane," "strange," and basically all other negative adjectives that I can think of "for turning her back against the player". What she actually did was to take some distance from the MC given what her mother's sister told her the MC had done to her mom. We think her reaction is pretty normal and realistic. There's obviously another scene in Chapter 14 that proves the two still feel strong love and passion toward each other.

But for the next chapter, there will be a lot of focus on this entire topic. And Amanda, of course.

I hope you guys will like it. We can't wait for you guys to play it!

Please don't spoil anything after DFD Ch 14 in the comments!

Palmer
Great pic of the (real) star of the game.

If I had one suggestion for Palmer - and there's really only one - it's to give Heidi (or if Heidi is too much in control of herself, Kathy) her own game. It could go anywhere. Dealing with men, with women, with parents, with business, with health, with society, with life, anything. But such rare stars deserve their own billing! ... ;) ) And what could be a problem with others, they are by no means friction- and problem-free characters or lives, so I don't think it very likely it would get boring very easily!

Reactions: Palmer

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
That would absolutely be a valid point but you forget the next few chapters have been spoiled here already and the reason does NOT match up at all with her reaction.
They have not been spoiled by me, and no, I don't agree with you. Agree to disagree then!

PPE2RedDucks

Oct 3, 2018
The comment is already here and please continue making comments to it. Due to the new layout of the Patreon posting system and doing so many public post recently I clicked the wrong tier button. Simple as that. But you already have the entire comment here and I'd be happy to answer questions, etc. Have a good one bud!
If there was a double-like button, that would be a candidate.

No, I am not sucking up, I don't want anything from you, Palmer.

(Except more Heidi. Only kidding. I hope the springs of creativity and technical excellence, and wellsprings of life, keep flowing sweetly for you and your team. Keep it up!)

Reactions: Palmer

lanternflux

Jan 24, 2019
Regardless of if you have spoiled them or not, the next chapters have been spoiled and the reason is pretty silly. The aunt doesn't even have proof of how MC did this supposed crime or that he did it at all, but Amanda just takes her word for it knowing full well that the aunt hates MC and would say/do anything to "unmake him".

And if it's just an accident locking the patreon post to only $5 patrons ( locked out $10/$20 patrons), then unlock it, dude. It looks like you just can't accept criticism right now between locking the post and telling everyone they're wrong for interpreting Amanda's actions as unlikable and unreasonable.

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
Regardless of if you have spoiled them or not, the next chapters have been spoiled and the reason is pretty silly. The aunt doesn't even have proof of how MC did this supposed crime or that he did it at all, but Amanda just takes her word for it knowing full well that the aunt hates MC and would say/do anything to "unmake him".

And if it's just an accident locking the patreon post to only $5 patrons ( locked out $10/$20 patrons), then unlock it, dude. It looks like you just can't accept criticism right now between locking the post and telling everyone they're wrong for interpreting Amanda's actions as unlikable and unreasonable.
But I just said we'd appreciate feedback and listen very closely to what you have to say :)

There is a difference from what people that do not support us say after a free chapter, and what people that support us say from following along the story. That's why this was supposed to be a patron only post. If you have feedback, I'd happily to listen to it. And if you have questions and/or doubts, I'd be happy to answer those too!

Also, there are more girls than Amanda in DFD :)

icesun

Be nice! Until it's time to not be nice...
Former Staff
Nov 2, 2018
@Palmer
The following is in no way meant offensive, I'll just try to shed some light on how I feel (and maybe this is close to how some/many of the "vocal protesters" feel/felt - just written calmly):

The problem for me personally is not Amanda being insecure / unsure what to make of everything, for me it's the combination of these things:

1) Amanda (and most importantly the relationship with her) was forced on us - given the game's title this is a totally reasonable premise, but it's something that has to be kept in mind if you want to avoid alienating her...
(I fell for Kathy very early on and if I had the opportunity it would be "Kathy for Every-Part-Of-The-Meal", but that's just me)

2) We (as the player) have obviously a) done something or b) are at least accused of having done something, but we're totally unaware of what that is...
2.1) If we have done something - and there might be actual evidence for that - then it's illogical that WE have no idea what that fuzz is about - OR
2.2) If we have done nothing there can't be actual evidence for something and thus it makes no sense that both Master-Detective-Moe (who in the early chapters felt like would've caught a bullet for us) goes full-hatred-mode and Amanda goes from "deepest adoration ever" to "basic bitch" with neither of them even remotely trying to establish communication with us about whatever issue there might be...

3) The circumstance that this story is POV and not in spectator-mode and on top being interactive, where we are engaged personally and shall decide to a certain degree what and how it's happening, but neither are we able to engage anyone on that topic nor does anyone engage us about it, makes this feel incredibly unsatisfying...
...the circumstance that this "plot darkness/blindness" is going on for months now (at least for free-chapter-leechers (myself included)) tastes like a rotten cherry on top of our slice of cake.

Your work has introduced me to the world of Visual Novels a little over a year ago and I am very thankful for that and hold your work in high regards, but the current state of the story (what we know; what we don't know; how people are acting on us) just feels unreasonable.
I have very little doubt that the solution to this stuff is on the close horizon, but for the time being I at least understand why some people are in "open rebellion"...

lanternflux

Jan 24, 2019
There is a difference from what people that do not support us say after a free chapter, and what people that support us say from following along the story.
A difference like free users not having a sunk cost fallacy? They didn't spend money on it so they don't feel like they've wasted anything if they don't like it? If anything, I would think you would want to give a little extra thought to the people who don't financially support you since they're less biased in your favor. Give your fans and backers the love they deserve, but to say, "Well if you don't give us money your opinion isn't worth much!" is crappy.

If you have feedback, I'd happily to listen to it.
Okay. Let's do this, then.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
That is terrible. People's first renders are better than that, and that is in your most recent chapter. That quality is completely unacceptable for someone who has been producing games as long as you and I'm shocked it made it into the final cut.
As others have said, your quality should be getting better, not worse or stagnating. These are not examples of improvement. You give so little attention to characters that you aren't able to fuck and it brings the entire quality of the game down.

That NPC is a joke. The silhouettes are awkward and stylistically inappropriate. You guys have high end equipment. Would it kill you to render better backgrounds?

Cecilia's model is flat and one-dimensional (much like her character) and the expressions are disappointing for someone who has been doing this for years. Surely you can do better.

Seriously, look at the difference. They don't even look like they're from the same game. You don't even use the same style of post work on NPCs you can't put your dick in. Why? What do you do all month?
This is bad. It's repetitive (as was the $20 bonus scene with Amanda, by the way. Go count how many times you repeat yourself or the same words.) and cringey. All adult games have an element of cringe to them because it's for jerking it and enjoying the sex, but this is middle school fanfiction cringe. It completely breaks suspension of disbelief and doesn't read anything like the first 10 or so chapters, so I'm convinced you don't let your writer have much of a say in stuff anymore.
Not consistent. You shopped in a pond (I believe one of Stonemason's assets) so poorly it doesn't even look like it's part of the same environment, and then there's literally no pond behind her in your other background. This kind of stuff could be easily fixed if you didn't take shortcuts with the render quality in this game, but you always reuse the same backgrounds regardless of if it matches the story or not.

The sound quality (aside from Candy's beautiful voice acting, which she does all the work for as you revealed in your stream. You should pay her more for what she does for you) is poor. You make an upwards of $50k/month and you can't afford some licensed sound effects? The door sound is the god damn AIM alert noise. The background chatter is the same thing over and over on loop, including the obvious "see you guys later" every thirty seconds.

The other girl options hardly mean shit when you force us into a relationship with Amanda. She's the focus. People didn't have a choice and are rightly frustrated by her character derailment.

And outside of the game, you treat your fans very poorly. People aren't unintelligent because they don't like Amanda's character anymore and don't think her actions are justified. You called out some random user in your discord who had literally never spoken before because you thought it might be one of the people who had critiqued you here. Anyone who disagrees or says they don't like the way something was written is told they are wrong and that the writing makes perfect sense with passive aggressive smiley faces. You delete negative comments and only respond to people here because you can't control the narrative. You implied anyone who doesn't support you with their checkbook doesn't have a worthwhile opinion. We can't all rake in fifty thousand dollars a month to gamble away in poker.

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
If anything, I would think you would want to give a little extra thought to the people who don't financially support you since they're less biased in your favor. Give your fans and backers the love they deserve, but to say, "Well if you don't give us money your opinion isn't worth much!" is crappy
How about we give out the game for free, listen to your feedback, etc? :) Sorry you don't like the game, hope you find something that fits you better! Have a good one buddy!

lanternflux

Jan 24, 2019
We listen to feedback, and we make changes where we agree. Is that good enough for you? :)
If I believed you didn't think everyone who disagreed you was an incorrect idiot! You delete negative comments and make sure to tell anyone with criticisms that they're wrong! :) But obviously you know that.

Assuming you read the post, you can see I've included screenshots from Chapters 15 & 16, so clearly I'm a supporter who can access your game. I liked DFD in the beginning a lot and it was the inspiration for me to get into the world of VNs in general, but it's gone so far off the rails that's it's barely the same game anymore. Success has gone to your head and influenced how you write and treat your fans.

Disappointing.

TheKryptonian

Truth, Justice, and TheKryptonian way...
Donor
Nov 22, 2018
I hope this isn't what you call listening to feedback. :rolleyes:
I appreciate your zeal in this matter but its clear for anyone paying attention Palmer couldnt give 2 shits about fans (paying or otherwise) he just keeps regurgitating the same passive aggressive replys. Its his way or the highway.

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
I liked DFD in the beginning a lot and it was the inspiration for me to get into the world of VNs in general, but it's gone so far off the rails that's it's barely the same game anymore. Success has gone to your head and influenced how you write and treat your fans.
No probs bud, and hey; again, I hope you find something you actually like. Btw, the $20 story in December was done due to Patreon feedback asking for it. We listen and care a lot about what everyone says, including people that don't pay for the game. Otherwise, why would I be here? Have a good evening friend :)

Please PM me on Patreon and we can talk more about what you brought up, one point at a time, because it's stuff that will take me hours to explain overall and just flood this chat.

lanternflux

Jan 24, 2019
This chat is for discussion about your game, so by all means, flood it with information about your game. I know I'm not the only one with these questions and I'm sure others would love to see answers too outside of a private DM.

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
This chat is for discussion about your game, so by all means, flood it with information about your game. I know I'm not the only one with these questions and I'm sure others would love to see answers too outside of a private DM.
So you don't want to message me on Patreon then? That would be a lot easier. You can compose all the answers into a document you then link here so the chat is not flooded. Because this chat is usually "How do I get the backup to this chapter?" etc. And there are more people than you having negative thoughts about Ch 14 that I want to listen to and see if we could have done anything better.

Also, since you've only commentated in this thread ever on F95 it makes for even more sense.

3.50 star(s) 125 Votes