3.50 star(s) 125 Votes

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
So Palmer.....On a scale of 1 to 10...What's the chances of Part 2 being made? And don't answer 50/50 :p If you are posting a bonus Part 2 visual then there must be product there :)
Haha, very good question. I will say what I always say regarding future content: I can't answer that currently.

Sorry man :)

Reactions: Ed B

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
BOOOOOOOOOOO :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Hope it happens :) One of few games like this that I enjoy. Haven't tried DH at all but think I will
You will. It's a bit slower and deeper story, but holy cow the branches later!

Cetarin

Jun 12, 2018
Where have we ever stated a free release schedule for DH? Did we ever say it would be released monthly? We never did, as when we tired to AIM for a 6/8 week one with DFD, it became an expectation and we didn't want that to happen again.
To be fair, it was probably only an expectation that people were upset about because the free releases were 10-12 weeks behind for 4 releases running (chapters 11-14) while you were still proclaiming that you were aiming for and hitting your 6-8 week goal. That's when you started getting trolled and disabled the blog comments. The releases continued on the 10-12 week delay until chapter 17 which was 14 weeks then chapter 18 which was 20 weeks and now chapter 19 which is currently at 32 weeks.

If you had just come out as soon as you couldn't continue to hit 6-8 weeks and said that maybe it was a little too aggressive and you couldn't maintain that anymore then people probably wouldn't have been nearly as upset about it. The timing was also a little suspect because the longer delays suddenly started when the $20 tier was added. The very next free release (chapter 11) was the first to not make the 6-8 week goal and no others made it after that either. Probably a coincidence of timing, but certainly an unfortunate one if so.

JonnyL34

Oct 2, 2018
This and the entire post you made is completely inaccurate.
How is it inaccurate to assume that won't happen? Again it comes from a fault on your end. Delays begin as soon as a new Patreon tier is introduced, regular posts about Patreon goodies, and 7 months of complete silence on both here & Discord about where Ch.19 is, a point that still hasn't been addressed by yourself. If you're behind, fair enough, but tell people.

And also, when you're silent for 7 months but plugging Patreon at every available chance, how is it inaccurate to assume you're delaying a chapter release for free in the hopes people get bored waiting and pay you money? Particularly when you're shown to be quite capable of releasing free chapters for other games. Like I've said Palmer, my goodwill has been exhausted, and it's been done so by your lack of voice.

Ed B

Sep 24, 2017
To be fair, it was probably only an expectation that people were upset about because the free releases were 10-12 weeks behind for 4 releases running (chapters 11-14) while you were still proclaiming that you were aiming for and hitting your 6-8 week goal. That's when you started getting trolled and disabled the blog comments. The releases continued on the 10-12 week delay until chapter 17 which was 14 weeks then chapter 18 which was 20 weeks and now chapter 19 which is currently at 32 weeks.

If you had just come out as soon as you couldn't continue to hit 6-8 weeks and said that maybe it was a little too aggressive and you couldn't maintain that anymore then people probably wouldn't have been nearly as upset about it. The timing was also a little suspect because the longer delays suddenly started when the $20 tier was added. The very next free release (chapter 11) was the first to not make the 6-8 week goal and no others made it after that either. Probably a coincidence of timing, but certainly an unfortunate one if so.
Was noted on Discord

• Angry
Reactions: V-red and Palmer

Ed B

Sep 24, 2017
How is it inaccurate to assume that won't happen? Again it comes from a fault on your end. Delays begin as soon as a new Patreon tier is introduced, regular posts about Patreon goodies, and 7 months of complete silence on both here & Discord about where Ch.19 is, a point that still hasn't been addressed by yourself. If you're behind, fair enough, but tell people.

And also, when you're silent for 7 months but plugging Patreon at every available chance, how is it inaccurate to assume you're delaying a chapter release for free in the hopes people get bored waiting and pay you money? Particularly when you're shown to be quite capable of releasing free chapters for other games. Like I've said Palmer, my goodwill has been exhausted, and it's been done so by your lack of voice.
Simple solution....If you don't want to wait then support the DEV on Patreon. You would of had it months ago when it was released

• Angry
Reactions: V-red and Palmer

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
If you're behind, fair enough, but tell people.
You are making assumptions without fact to support it, and stating it as it is something official from us. That, and a lot of what you have said earlier is simply incorrect. But I will of course answer some of the things you brought up.

Apologies if you feel we are behind. As I said earlier, we only have one coder and the best we can do is to release a free game every approximate 4-6 weeks. Obviously due to the time constraints we have.

We have said on Discord that there is no ETA on DFD19 for a very long time, until now. If you read our Discord info it doesn't state any time for free releases. But we are always aiming toward ~4-6 weeks. And DH has been released around that approximate time always. Keep in mind it's an approximate date that isn't even stated on anything official from us.

7 months of complete silence on both here & Discord about where Ch.19 is
We have definitely not been silent about this. We have said there is not ETA. I am also available to talk to every single day, every year, on Discord. And we have great mods in case I'm sleeping.

I am also here on a forum that has cracked our game to answer your questions. I really am trying to do my best.

I'm truly sorry you feel this way, but we have an insane backlog and things we need to do. You and I will obviously never agree, but I hope you enjoy DFD19 in the coming days and later the epilogues. And remember, this is free content.

4-5 years ago I released my first game called Emily: Sister Attraction. I said then that everything I do will be released for free. We have never broken that promise during all these years.

You don't have to pay anything to access our games. We are doing our best every month to make this happen. Thanks for your comment and it's something we will consider and talk about. Take care!

Last edited:

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
That's when you started getting trolled and disabled the blog comments.
Yes. We remove troll comments, like most people do.

But feel free to leave constructive criticism anytime you want. The best place to do this is on our Discord. We absolutely love those types of comments in order to make better games :)

Last edited:

Cetarin

Jun 12, 2018
Was noted on Discord
Since you didn't actually say what you're referring to, I can only assume that you mean what I said about admitting the 6-8 week goal was too aggressive. If that's the case then it's irrelevant. The backlash that I described took place on the official blog so apparently that message didn't make it to those users.

Yes. We remove troll comments, like most people do.

But feel free to leave constructive criticism anytime you want. The best place to do this is on our Discord. We absolutely love those types of comments in order to make better games :)
Why did you feel the need to state this and bold it? The trolling was not random and very much related to the outrage in the blog comments at the time. Yes, clearly you would remove it, but if you're actually sincere about accepting criticism then don't just dismiss it out of hand when there was clearly a reason behind it.

When have we ever officially said this time? The game is free and will be released as soon as we can.
What? Please tell me there's something lost in translation here... You and Z were saying 6-8 weeks after the Patreon release for free releases for pretty much the entire project lifetime of DFD up until at least chapter 14. Are you really going to say that you never said that? I even gave you screenshots of quotes stating such the last time you replied to me on this very thread.

Reactions: V-red

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
When have we ever officially said this time? The game is free and will be released as soon as we can.
You may not have said it, or provided a schedule, but the expectation is you will continue to do what you did with the earlier releases: 1-2 months between releasing the patron-only version and the free version.

If the community expectation is wrong, you should address it, even though you haven't provided schedules.

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
Since you didn't actually say what you're referring to, I can only assume that you mean what I said about admitting the 6-8 week goal was too aggressive. If that's the case then it's irrelevant. The backlash that I described took place on the official blog so apparently that message didn't make it to those users.

- Look, we are releasing our games for free. The times can vary, as I have now stated on several occasions. We approximate 4-6 weeks for every free release. Sometimes that doesn't work out due to our small dev team and one coder. I'm sorry we are sometimes "late" on these releases.

Why did you feel the need to state this and bold it? The trolling was not random and very much related to the outrage in the blog comments at the time. Yes, clearly you would remove it, but if you're actually sincere about accepting criticism then don't just dismiss it out of hand when there was clearly a reason behind it.

- The bold was removed 5 minutes after the post was made. Trolling is not constructive criticism. It's bullshit, which we don't want. Leave constructive criticism instead if there's something you don't like, and so we can improve the game. A lot of that negative criticism has made it into our games. Actually a lot of it has. Trolling will never be accepted. Whatever you release, there will always be trolling. It doesn't matter how good the game is. But, this is our blog, and we set the rules. Bullshit is not acceptable comments on our site. It's as simple as that.

What? Please tell me there's something lost in translation here... You and Z were saying 6-8 weeks after the Patreon release for free releases for pretty much the entire project lifetime of DFD up until at least chapter 14. Are you really going to say that you never said that? I even gave you screenshots of quotes stating such the last time you replied to me on this very thread.
- Again, approximately. Sometimes it's delayed due to various reason, for instance when I was in a coma for 3 days and had to spend 8 days at the hospital with two brain hemorrhages. Or if something weird in the code shows up that we can't solve, etc.

Why are you so focused on these times? You are getting it for free. If you want everything we've done it will cost you $10. That's one hamburger. If you want the bonus stuff, that's two hamburgers, for work we've done over 2 years. And you get all of it.

I understand your irritation about this, but I think you are taking it way too far. It's free. You don't pay, and I'm sorry you feel this way. We are doing our best every single month. I usually work 18 hours a day. I haven't taken a single vacation since we started our Patreon. I'm never unavailable. I seriously don't see the issue here :)

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
If the community expectation is wrong, you should address it, even though you haven't provided schedules.
Please read my previous replies. We have for a very long time said: "There is no ETA". I think that qualifies as addressing it, no?

BlazR

Mar 30, 2019
So, the community expectation is wrong. It's always stated that there is no time frame for free releases. It's ready when it's ready. If you want it now, then become a Patron. They try to do it as quickly as possible. Having expectations for free content is pretty fuckin pretentious and quite a bit ungrateful IMO.

Reactions: Ed B

Cetarin

Jun 12, 2018
- Again, approximately. Sometimes it's delayed due to various reason, for instance when I was in a coma for 3 days and had to spend 8 days at the hospital with two brain hemorrhages. Or if something weird in the code shows up that we can't solve, etc.

Why are you so focused on these times? You are getting it for free. If you want everything we've done it will cost you $10. That's one hamburger. If you want the bonus stuff, that's two hamburgers, for work we've done over 2 years. And you get all of it.

I understand your irritation about this, but I think you are taking it way too far. It's free. You don't pay, and I'm sorry you feel this way. We are doing our best every single month. I usually work 18 hours a day. I haven't taken a single vacation since we started our Patreon. I'm never unavailable. I seriously don't see the issue here :)
You're not understanding what I'm saying and you are reading far more into my posts than what I've said. I am not complaining about your free release schedule. I have never complained about late free releases on any of your forums. I am explaining why people were upset way back in October through December of last year and January early this year. That's it. I am not talking about chapter 19's delay in either of my posts that you just replied to. It was mentioned as an ancillary fact because it was relevant but no more than that. The delay times, in general, were why people were upset back then, so yes I focused on them for the explanation.

In fact, I have gone out of my way to post your release schedule for DFD and DH to show that your team does a good job and is very punctual for Patreon releases. I think it's worth pointing out developers that have good, reliable Patreon release schedules because some that can be found on this site are less reliable.

In closing, here's some more constructive criticism:

In my opinion, it's exactly these types of defensive responses where you refuse that you have even maybe been wrong in the past that rub people the wrong way. You say you want criticism, but then you form your own opinion about what the critic is saying and reject it as being completely wrong and you being completely right when it's given. This is in regard to your postings that I've seen here in this thread and on the official blog.

That's my opinion. Take it for what you will, or don't, I don't really care. I'm just pointing out what I see.

Reactions: V-red

Palmer

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2017
It's alwa
You're not understanding what I'm saying and you are reading far more into my posts than what I've said. I am not complaining about your free release schedule. I have never complained about late free releases on any of your forums. I am explaining why people were upset way back in October through December of last year and January early this year. That's it. I am not talking about chapter 19's delay in either of my posts that you just replied to. It was mentioned as an ancillary fact because it was relevant but no more than that. The delay times, in general, were why people were upset back then, so yes I focused on them for the explanation.

In fact, I have gone out of my way to post your release schedule for DFD and DH to show that your team does a good job and is very punctual for Patreon releases. I think it's worth pointing out developers that have good, reliable Patreon release schedules because some that can be found on this site are less reliable.

In closing, here's some more constructive criticism:

In my opinion, it's exactly these types of defensive responses where you refuse that you have even maybe been wrong in the past that rub people the wrong way. You say you want criticism, but then you form your own opinion about what the critic is saying and reject it as being completely wrong and you being completely right when it's given. This is in regard to your postings that I've seen here in this thread and on the official blog.

That's my opinion. Take it for what you will, or don't, I don't really care. I'm just pointing out what I see.
Then I obviously misunderstood you and apologize for that. Sometimes things tend to go wrong when you're close to 50 hours awake. This was obviously one of those cases :) I might have confused your post with somebody else's or something. We do get a lot of unnecessary bs here. Regardless, I apologize.

Regarding your criticism:
I don't agree that it's a defensive response when I'm simply stating facts. Of course I have been wrong in the past! Many times in fact. We have had meetings four days in a row now. I can't even count the number of times I've been wrong. If you can't admit that you are wrong, or you can't apologize when needed, you should rethink your priorities.

Thanks for your post and take care man!

Last edited:
Reactions: BlazR

Ed B

Sep 24, 2017

I meant that Palmer is always updating Discord and letting times and events known

Reactions: Palmer
3.50 star(s) 125 Votes