3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

KingCorrosiv

Sep 12, 2021
Have been feeling down for a bit so wanted to make a little something just for the fuck of it.
Lisa having a drink out on the balcony after draining the MC of his energy (and seed)

Also thought I'd show the process a bit this time since I've been trying some new things in post.

Raw render
Lisa after fun.png

Some light adjustments to things like vibrance, exposure, texture popping and the like
Lisa after fun.jpg

And some additional post work
Lisa after fun with logo.jpg

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
I'm really enjoying most of the art posted here -- keep it going. You guys have some amazing talent!

I do have one request though, because it's driving me crazy:
Please, please do not cut off the feet all the time!

No, I don't have a foot-fetish (although, I fancy some nice shoes/boots/heels), I just think it's a bad frame choice. There's something called a "medium shot" or "medium full shot", which basically covers "knees to head" (example #1 #2 #3 #4 #5), and then there's a "full shot" which covers the "full" body (toes to head, I don't think you need examples for those).

I'm seeing this in so many renders, and also in so many games, and I really don't know why this happens so often. When I was young, my father told me an important rule when taking photographs: do not cut of feet or heads. And I think still should still be valid as of today. But maybe it's just me...

Last edited:

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
I'm really enjoying most of the art posted here -- keep it going. You guys have some amazing talent!

I do have one request though, because it's driving me crazy:
Please, please do not cut of the feet all the time!

No, I don't have a foot-fetish (although, I fancy some nice shoes/boots/heels), I just think it's a bad frame choice. There's something called a "medium shot" or "medium full shot", which basically covers "knees to head" (example #1 #2 #3 #4 #5), and then there's a "full shot" which covers the "full" body (toes to head, I don't think you need examples for those).

I'm seeing this in so many renders, and also in so many games, and I really don't know why this happens so often. When I was young, my father told me an important rule when taking photographs: do not cut of feet or heads. And I think still should still be valid as of today. But maybe it's just me...
As someone who does that often, you already posted an example, I do know about the rule and the different framing types. But I can think of at least two reasons to do it. None of which apply to me, and a third one that depends on context.

Reason number one. If you render with an hdri instead of a backdrop, the character seems to be floating. The contact shadows iray makes appear to be a few cm lower that they should.

Reason number two. Some people simply do not like feet. I have friends that say feet and ears are the ugliest parts of the human body.

And lastly, depends on what you want to show. In the render you posted from me, I wanted something close to the character to show off the shapes. Could I have gone with medium framing? Sure but then it wouldn't show the shins, which I wanted visible. Full frame? Sure but the camera would be further away or the FoV distorted and I'd use part of the image to show something I really didn't care about showing. It was all about real estate.

But in general that's good advice. There's a reason norms exist in photography. Certain framing types simply work.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
As someone who does that often, you already posted an example, ...
As you might have noticed, I just went backwards through this thread and picked the first few pics I stumbled across -- and I actually skipped a couple of your submissions (although you cut off the feet! :)), because I think they're kind of special (with the postwork you did, the frame etc.). I picked the one that was the most obvious...

I 100% agree that there might be special reasons to pick a "non-standard" shot, and in some cases that's why some pictures are special and are sticking out of the mass! But I think in 90+% of the cases the artist is just not paying attention. And with my previous post I just wanted to raise that awareness ;)

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Reason number one. If you render with an hdri instead of a backdrop, the character seems to be floating. The contact shadows iray makes appear to be a few cm lower that they should.
This is actually pretty easy to fix, but most people think HDRI should be Plug & Play
Reason number two. Some people simply do not like feet. I have friends that say feet and ears are the ugliest parts of the human body.
There is no accounting for other people's tastes.
And lastly, depends on what you want to show. In the render you posted from me, I wanted something close to the character to show off the shapes. Could I have gone with medium framing? Sure but then it wouldn't show the shins, which I wanted visible. Full frame? Sure but the camera would be further away or the FoV distorted and I'd use part of the image to show something I really didn't care about showing. It was all about real estate.
If you want to show shins or thighs, then crop the feet off, if you are trying to show the legs, feet are part of the legs and should probably stay in frame.
But in general that's good advice. There's a reason norms exist in photography. Certain framing types simply work.
Yes, 100% this. that is why we have general guidelines like the Rule of Thirds, 5 basic types of Perspective and we should know when to use them, how to light a scene with just three light sources. And then we have Bokeh, Bokeh, Bokeh.

Oh there is one thing that peeves me about a lot of images here, damn too much BLOOM, there is not a need for it to be used to the extremes in all renders. And when you have a ton of grain in your images (unless you are trying to mimic some old film type) use a denoiser. Yes I know I rail against denoisers, but I have always contended that it has a place in low resolution web based images.

Just so you know, with even the cheapest mirrorless camera's in excess of 20 Megapixels, everything else is low res even up to 4k renders, and especially since anything over 2k is rejected for uploading here on F95, all low res.

Last edited:
Reactions: theMickey_

atheran

Feb 3, 2020
This is actually pretty easy to fix, but most people think HDRI should be Plug & Play

There is no accounting for other people's tastes.

If you want to show shins or thighs, then crop the feet off, if you are trying to show the legs, feet are part of the legs and should probably stay in frame.

Yes, 100% this. that is why we have general guidelines like the Rule of Thirds, 5 basic types of Perspective and we should know when to use them, how to light a scene with just three light sources. And then we have Bokeh, Bokeh, Bokeh.

Oh there is one thing that peeves me about a lot of images here, damn too much BLOOM, there is not a need for it to be used to the extremes in all renders. And when you have a ton of grain in your images (unless you are trying to mimic some old film type) use a denoiser. Yes I know I rail against denoisers, but I have always contended that it has a place in low resolution web based images.

Just so you know, with even the cheapest mirrorless camera's in excess of 20 Megapixels, everything else is low res even up to 4k renders, and especially since anything over 2k is rejected for uploading here on F95, all low res.
I'll try to be brief and without fancy quoting since I'm on phone. In general I agree with what you said here but with a few caveats. Rules can be broken. In fact I think that rules should be broken because that's the only way art moves forward and doesn't stagnate. But in order to break the rules you first need to understand them. In the case of my image, the one referenced here specifically but that applies to most of my latest renders, the ones that share that specific style, it was on purpose. I knew it would estrange a few people and I accepted that. Hell, the subject itself or the postmark would estrange a lot more than the feet.

Said subject, Alessia was not a random slider-fu to make a sexy girl. It was a tribute to a very specific and well defined character and yes, calves and thighs were important. Feet weren't. Even the skin shader is heavily modified to assist in creating the final result, said skin would not work without the postwork.

As for that last paragraph, that's where you lose me. At least for what I wanted from those renders and the process I followed, no F95's size limit did not matter. Hell, even if the final image was planned to be 960x1440 as those are, I'd still render at 6k or 8k. Why? Because of the presets I use to get this look. The more pixels they have to play with the better they work. Compare the image that was quoted with the one I said I rendered at 1440p. There's a huge quality difference even if the posted size is exactly the same.

Alessia_thinking.png Alessia3.png

There you go. Exact same iray settings and lights, exact same presets same size. The difference is the frame and the caption on the latter and the fact that I added some fading on the former. The latter, at least to me SCREAMS low res.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here but the render resolution matters for the process and the fidelity of it, not simply for the final result.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes