4.60 star(s) 45 Votes

santi1488

Jan 15, 2018
Not at the moment. I don't really care about balance broken by mods, you can cheat anyway if you really want.
Right now i work on core systems. If i add rpy/code mods support now people will make some based on current version. Then i change some internals and many mods will stop working, maybe crashing game itself. Bad experience, some time wasted and so on. So i want to finish core first, make game api-stable, then move on to adding side content. At that point yes, there is good chance i will add rpy/code mods support.
Just make a disclaimer that "mods can provide issuies if you have problem with game, save etc. try to turn off modification" or something like that. For me personal question is how you called varriables that keep curent money and AP if this question too harsh just say "i couldn't answer you" or write in personal message.

X-Topic

Dec 9, 2020
Radnor got any plans for passive repair of parts in inventory?
I just spent several weeks tinkering and I'm still nowhere near done repairing my stockpile of parts xD

Would be very nice if your techies could autonomously repair spare parts or something.
Maybe make them take the initiative and repair when certain criteria are met like:
  • Autonomy above a certain level
  • Assigned as techie
  • Not helping with other task like player tinkering or working
  • Action point/s are spent
Or if not your techies maybe you could buy like part maintenance machines or drones with upkeep costs. Could be tiered machines capable of repairing different tiers equal and below their own.

Just some ideas. But some sort of passive part repair would be a godsend with large stockpiles of parts. Especially on higher difficulties where high tier parts only repair for like 5 to 10%/AP.

Whatever the method it should probably prioritize lower tier parts first and work its way up rather than being random like the current tinker option seems to be. That way it repairs as much as possible in a given time(since lower tiers are easier to repair) and at the same time it doesn't just repair all your best parts for you for free.

Your bots that has the techies,mechanic,engineering role are indeed helping you when you go to invetory and click tinker...most of the time with 1 click i get a single item fully repaired even though it has many deflects and it is a low durability due to my bots that helping me ...they also get XP points

Also....what is the problem with the UI...i find it good and clear?

Radnor

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2021
Just make a disclaimer that "mods can provide issuies if you have problem with game, save etc. try to turn off modification" or something like that. For me personal question is how you called varriables that keep curent money and AP if this question too harsh just say "i couldn't answer you" or write in personal message.
mc.money
mc.energy

Mr_Shaky

Nov 6, 2017
Your bots that has the techies,mechanic,engineering role are indeed helping you when you go to invetory and click tinker...most of the time with 1 click i get a single item fully repaired even though it has many deflects and it is a low durability due to my bots that helping me ...they also get XP points
I know.

But like I said in my post I've been spending weeks tinkering with parts and didn't get through all of them. Even with one decent techie I'm repairing higher tier parts for 5-15% each time. Sure it's going to be faster if I get more techies and higher rank skills but that would take ages when starting with low skills.

Besides. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about adding passive repairs. Meaning a bot or machine repairs stuff for you while you're doing other things like training a bot or scavenging or relaxing at the club etc so that you don't have to spend as much time tinkering yourself.

Reactions: Godogma and X-Topic

X-Topic

Dec 9, 2020
I know.

But like I said in my post I've been spending weeks tinkering with parts and didn't get through all of them. Even with one decent techie I'm repairing higher tier parts for 5-15% each time. Sure it's going to be faster if I get more techies and higher rank skills but that would take ages when starting with low skills.

Besides. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about adding passive repairs. Meaning a bot or machine repairs stuff for you while you're doing other things like training a bot or scavenging or relaxing at the club etc so that you don't have to spend as much time tinkering yourself.
Yes i understood it ...i agree for the passive repairs about our factional bots but if it is self repairing our invetory i think it will not be good for the game cuz repair will loose it's meaning.....from my personal perspective i believe manual repairing of our invetory is better :)...and i know that it take ages :S

Mr_Shaky

Nov 6, 2017
Yes i understood it ...i agree for the passive repairs about our factional bots but if it is self repairing our invetory i think it will not be good for the game cuz repair will loose it's meaning.....from my personal perspective i believe manual repairing of our invetory is better :)...and i know that it take ages :S
If it's done right it should help get your low-mid tier parts repaired in decent time but slow at repairing higher tiers meaning you'll likely still have to repair them yourself unless you have an army of techies and it also won't be able to repair parts equipped in bots unless a seperate pod upgrade that repairs bots is added.

It's also about saving real-life time because not everyone has enough time to spend to be grinding repairs.

Reactions: Godogma
Sep 17, 2017
QoL request: could we get a way to bulk sell parts from item stacks? Early game it isn't too much of a problem, but after an extended run, I ended up noticing I had 126 Plastan Legs in storage with no actual need for nearly that many. This is currently made worse by part sales taking 3 clicks *per item* (item -> sell -> continue, repeat), and 300+ clicks to make an average of $5k total is not worth the effort. Even just a "Sell 10x" button would make it much easier to handle.

clockwinding

Nov 10, 2019
Hey,

just wanted to say i really like the setting, tone and what's already been built of this game. it's fun, it's engaging, and sandboxy enough to have plenty of creativity/freedom/fun.

i'd like to talk a bit about the UI and the addition of repeat actions from 0.1 to 0.2 though.
1643796778099.png
here i'm trying to repair a bot part on the bot. once i click, the flavor text for the repair comes up, and then bot part becomes this:
1643796853358.png
the thing is, i could also continue repairing just the same from the previous bottom screen. now i'm just 1 layer deeper into the menu, and it's more clicks/whatever you bound "back" to return to the bot part selection or another menu. Precisely two instead of 1, but it adds up very quickly with how much tinkering this game has us do.

This is currently a "problem" everywhere you implemented the repeat action, i'm sorry Radnor. tinker, train, workshop tinker, hack (stabilize, and 1 layer deeper to remove quirks), scavenge, relax at robo/6... I get that transitionning the menu confirms clearly to the player that his click was successful, but my computer mouse is going to have a stroke with how much clicking it adds in the long run.
The addition of that "repeat action" menu layer is both obsolete and obnoxious imo, although the base intent was nice. it's not needed to notify the player his click had the desired effect, as the text is already changing in the top part, and your AP decreasing in the left part.

My suggestion is : make it so the bottom screen stays like the 1st screenshot when you do a repeatable action. I can click the same button to repeat it, there's no need for 1 more menu layer, and i also don't have to click "back" one more time.

Another thing i would like, is the ability to switch from one bot to another when already tinkering/training/hacking. Returning to home menu, selecting the new bot, choosing the interact button then going through the tree again is another source of clicking fatigue.
Is it possible to "refresh" the main parts of the screen when picking a new bot in the bottom right? that would be a life-saver.

Can't wait to see what's in store for next update.

Radnor

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2021
Hey,

just wanted to say i really like the setting, tone and what's already been built of this game. it's fun, it's engaging, and sandboxy enough to have plenty of creativity/freedom/fun.

i'd like to talk a bit about the UI and the addition of repeat actions from 0.1 to 0.2 though.
here i'm trying to repair a bot part on the bot. once i click, the flavor text for the repair comes up, and then bot part becomes this:
the thing is, i could also continue repairing just the same from the previous bottom screen. now i'm just 1 layer deeper into the menu, and it's more clicks/whatever you bound "back" to return to the bot part selection or another menu. Precisely two instead of 1, but it adds up very quickly with how much tinkering this game has us do.

This is currently a "problem" everywhere you implemented the repeat action, i'm sorry Radnor. tinker, train, workshop tinker, hack (stabilize, and 1 layer deeper to remove quirks), scavenge, relax at robo/6... I get that transitionning the menu confirms clearly to the player that his click was successful, but my computer mouse is going to have a stroke with how much clicking it adds in the long run.
The addition of that "repeat action" menu layer is both obsolete and obnoxious imo, although the base intent was nice. it's not needed to notify the player his click had the desired effect, as the text is already changing in the top part, and your AP decreasing in the left part.

My suggestion is : make it so the bottom screen stays like the 1st screenshot when you do a repeatable action. I can click the same button to repeat it, there's no need for 1 more menu layer, and i also don't have to click "back" one more time.

Another thing i would like, is the ability to switch from one bot to another when already tinkering/training/hacking. Returning to home menu, selecting the new bot, choosing the interact button then going through the tree again is another source of clicking fatigue.
Is it possible to "refresh" the main parts of the screen when picking a new bot in the bottom right? that would be a life-saver.

Can't wait to see what's in store for next update.
Thanks.

You can revert to no-repeat-buttons mode by changing Settings->Game->Repeat action buttons->Disable.
I personally don't really like these myself, but it make sense and many people asked for it, so it was added.

Plus, i may add some events to various activities later on, so extra click may appear again, but not 100% yet.

As for switching bots in middle of bot interaction, yep, i know it is nice to have, but it is not a priority right now, plus it may involve making thing bit more complicated, both coding and ui. Will think about it.

Generally clicks are expected in management games. Same as button-mashing rotations in mmo, part of genre, if you like. I'm trying to reduce extra clicks where it make sense, but i will not add some way to "one-click to win".

Radnor

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2021
Guys, if feeling creative and know about ASCII/ANSI art, can you make logo for "Grey Market BBS"? Can't promise anything, but if i really like your i will include it into game, with "Special Thanks" credits. Otherwise will need to do it myself and i'm not an art guy, you have been warned!

Size can be more or less any, but overall it should be wider than longer. Sane dimensions, 40-120 to 20-60 or something like. May scale it up/down freely in game. Also please use "free for commercial use" font.

Reactions: X-Topic

clockwinding

Nov 10, 2019
Thanks.

You can revert to no-repeat-buttons mode by changing Settings->Game->Repeat action buttons->Disable.
I personally don't really like these myself, but it make sense and many people asked for it, so it was added.

Plus, i may add some events to various activities later on, so extra click may appear again, but not 100% yet.

As for switching bots in middle of bot interaction, yep, i know it is nice to have, but it is not a priority right now, plus it may involve making thing bit more complicated, both coding and ui. Will think about it.

Generally clicks are expected in management games. Same as button-mashing rotations in mmo, part of genre, if you like. I'm trying to reduce extra clicks where it make sense, but i will not add some way to "one-click to win".
Can't believe i missed that option setting. Thanks for pointing it out while you dev at your own comfortable pace. Although, it doesn't resolve the problem, since it brings the player to a "continue" screen instead. I guess the repeat is currently saving a couple of clicks if chaining the same activity 3+ times

And i also don't want a one-button win thing in this kind of game, it just takes out 90% of the "getting there", which is the core of the game after all.

Last edited:

Mr_Shaky

Nov 6, 2017
It's not a one-button win if you're just cutting down the amount of menu navigating you have to do while still having to actually do the things.

As for the repeat option you could have it so that pressing tinker and train X skill and similar options keeps you on the same menu and just updates the content window whenever possible rather than moving to another menu that you have to back out of.

Reactions: clockwinding

Radnor

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2021
It's not a one-button win if you're just cutting down the amount of menu navigating you have to do while still having to actually do the things.

As for the repeat option you could have it so that pressing tinker and train X skill and similar options keeps you on the same menu and just updates the content window whenever possible rather than moving to another menu that you have to back out of.
Unlikely to revisit this next update, got lots of things to add, but next next maybe will look what i can do.

P.S.: Frankly, i'm not sure tinker/training screens being "clicky", when i play test i click on top buttons for actions and right-click to get back when done. Hardly notice any click-fatigue myself.
Plus with later updates there will be more passive ways to do things, without any clicks at all.
And high enough skills/expertise make repairs/hacking quick.
Just my personal experience during playtesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: X-Topic

Mr_Shaky

Nov 6, 2017
Hardly notice any click-fatigue myself.
Just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean it can't be improved.
Imagine a top down game like an mmo. They've got auto-attack instead of having it as ability 1 even though you could bind ability 1 to right-click or MB4 or something.
Some games have an enemy lock-on so you don't have to aim all abilities manually unless you want to.
They're called quality of life improvements for a reason.

Think about it this way. You could have training go:
Train->Skill->Confirm->Skill->Confirm
Or
Train->Skill->Skill->Skill->Skill
That's double the amount if training with the same clicks but I would call that QoL not "cheaty" or one-click-win.

Radnor

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2021
Just because you don't have a problem with it doesn't mean it can't be improved.
Imagine a top down game like an mmo. They've got auto-attack instead of having it as ability 1 even though you could bind ability 1 to right-click or MB4 or something.
Some games have an enemy lock-on so you don't have to aim all abilities manually unless you want to.
They're called quality of life improvements for a reason.

Think about it this way. You could have training go:
Train->Skill->Confirm->Skill->Confirm
Or
Train->Skill->Skill->Skill->Skill
That's double the amount if training with the same clicks but I would call that QoL not "cheaty" or one-click-win.
Talking about mmo.
I played runescape, it used click-and-wait-until-enemy-dies combat.
I played swtor, it used mash-buttons-until-enemy-dies combat.
Both had their good sides, can chat/relax/do something else in first, more entertaining/involved in second.
Can't say i really hated any. It is design choice.

Now about DSCS.
Right now i do: Interact->Train->Combat->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Done->Rest
If you can tell which click here is not necessary i would think about it.
Tinker: Interact->Tinker->Skin Layer->Fix Defect->Repeat->Repeat->Back->Fix Part->Repeat->Done->Rest
Again i don't think there is any really unnecessary clicks.

There were requests for "repair random bot part/defect" button, i may add it to workshop, probably next next update, but overall i don't think there is anything big i can do to avoid clicking things and switching from screen to screen.

I may properly revisit UI some day, but for now i think it is good enough to focus on other parts of game.
And of course i add ideas/notes posted here and on discord tp my lists. Maybe not directly to todo list, but still it is not lost in space.

Mr_Shaky

Nov 6, 2017
There were requests for "repair random bot part/defect" button, i may add it to workshop, probably next next update, but overall i don't think there is anything big i can do to avoid clicking things and switching from screen to screen.
You did
And it changed the routine from
Best case scenario:
Workshop->Inventory->Part->Tinker->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Done->Rest
"Not worst but close" case scenario:
Workshop->Inventory->Change Shelf->Part->Fix defect->Back->Fix Part->Back->Back->Change Shelf->Part->Fix defect->Back->Fix Part->Back->Back->Change Shelf->Part->Fix defect->Done->Rest

To
Workshop->Tinker->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Done->Rest
and Repeat
And you still have to use the first case if you need a particular part fixed unless you put it in a bot first which is probably an easier method.

I'd call it a massive improvement

Radnor

Game Developer
Nov 9, 2021
You did
And it changed the routine from
Best case scenario:
Workshop->Inventory->Part->Tinker->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Done->Rest
"Not worst but close" case scenario:
Workshop->Inventory->Change Shelf->Part->Fix defect->Back->Fix Part->Back->Back->Change Shelf->Part->Fix defect->Back->Fix Part->Back->Back->Change Shelf->Part->Fix defect->Done->Rest

To
Workshop->Tinker->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Repeat->Done->Rest
and Repeat
And you still have to use the first case if you need a particular part fixed unless you put it in a bot first which is probably an easier method.

I'd call it a massive improvement
I mean "repair <random bot> part/defect", not "repair random <bot part>" :D
Thing you described was reasonably easy to add. With repair <random bot> it will be bit more tricky, well, as long as i want to reuse same code for both normal tinker and auto-tinker. So i can't promise any ETA for this.

Mr_Shaky

Nov 6, 2017
I mean "repair <random bot> part/defect", not "repair random <bot part>" :D
Thing you described was reasonably easy to add. With repair <random bot> it will be bit more tricky, well, as long as i want to reuse same code for both normal tinker and auto-tinker. So i can't promise any ETA for this.
You could go one step less random and add a "repair random part/defect on current bot" if it's easier to implement
So
Interact->Repair->Repeat->Back/Done or
Interact->Repair->Repair->Done with my suggestion
This would save about as much navigating as the current random workshop tinkering minus the shelf changes.
And it's probably better to add that option to the bot interaction menu than to add it to the main home menu.

The thing about my "stay in menu, update content window" suggestion is that you won't have to go back any time you have more stuff to do than that 1 thing you start with like:
Fixing defects and repairing integrity
Training more than 1 skill

It's not a big difference I know but remember the difference grows the longer you play and more you do it and you're expected to do it a lot. Think about your poor battered peripherals :p
Also it is easier to navigate when menus don't change so you can proceed faster.

On the other hand since it's such a small difference you could easily save that change for a future QoL update or something and focus on stuff with more impact for now.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Radnor

DragonFox

Apr 13, 2018
Add on for the DragonsLair
1 extra girl.

tell me if you all like more simple Bots.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Wobble2020
4.60 star(s) 45 Votes