Corrupted

Jun 28, 2017
I don't agree with most of what you wrote.
Are you sure? I'm not. You could prove your disagreement by actually saying how you disagree. Do you think the writing is crap and the renders are awesome? Do you want more life sim elements in a game that mostly consist of 20+ minute long, uninterrupted scenes? Do you want Andrea to become an adult baby instead?

Look, criticism... I tried to give concrete pointers of what to change and what not to change, and my reasoning for why I feel about it that way. If you want to criticise my critique, you should do the same, because I didn't write "Game is bad and you should feel bad", quite the opposite in fact.

Reactions: dbp5ca

Bip

Donor
May 4, 2017
@CobraSGT I didn't see that bug (I used v0.55 + v.055 patch).
It seems that Ptolemy forgot to declare a pic... ...........

I've just done a modification, you can test it. Scroll back a few pics, save and quit the game.
unzip the file in the .\Dreaming of Dana\game\ directory (replace the existing file).

Else you can try, in console :
image mariaweekend36c = "Maria/mariaweek/36c.png"

Reactions: Krull

Freki

Game Developer
May 16, 2017
@Corrupted the person that replied to you stated an opinion and it is echoed by many. I don't expect life simulation otherwise I'd get the Sims and I hate the sims. If it were a life sim it would not be two rich kids but it is more a fantasy visual choose your own novel. No one has to take your opinions apart and critique your words to disagree.

Corrupted

Jun 28, 2017
@Corrupted the person that replied to you stated an opinion and it is echoed by many. I don't expect life simulation otherwise I'd get the Sims and I hate the sims. If it were a life sim it would not be two rich kids but it is more a fantasy visual choose your own novel. No one has to take your opinions apart and critique your words to disagree.
I don't think you understand what I was talking about, beginning with the word "Life Sim". "Life Sim" and "VN" are two different concepts of play when we're talking about H-Games. See, this is why you're not disagreeing with me. You don't even understand what I am saying. Do you walk up to chinese people talking in chinese and say "I disagree with you" and then leave them bewildered? No? Then why do you do it to me, when you understand so little of what I am saying that I might as well be speaking chinese.

In a Life Sim, you have a day cycle ("Morning" "Lunch" "Afternoon" "Evening") and certain activities forward that day cycle. You typically have some stats (Strength, Hotness, Moxie, Chutzpah etc), "Relationship scores", and/or money that you can/have to grind. You can "move about" the world with clicks, find characters standing around in the world and interact with them by clicking on them. That means the interactions are mostly player driven. To give you a couple examples of forum darlings: "Summertime Saga", "The Twist", and "Big Brother" are designed as "Life Sims".

In a (pure) VN, you don't have any of that. You have a linear series of events, that sometimes branches. You don't have a clock on the screen, and if you have choice at all, it's usually something like "Date Girl A at the Beach" vs "Date Girl B in the night club". Because the player is much more restrained in the order of interactions, you can have much more interesting stories in VNs, at the expense of perceived player freedom. You frequently don't have any "stats" or relationship points at all, and things are handled in a binary fashion - Did you go to the gym when the opportunity arrived? Did you read the book about artificial insemination or did you watch the TV cooking show? These things can have consequences, but they're handled as binary triggers, not stats. Examples of pure VNs are: "Dreams of Desire" and "Dating My Daughter" or "Good Girl Gone Bad"

This game here, "Dreaming Of Dana", is styled as a Life Sim. You have Daytime cycles, Weekdays, you have "busywork", you have a stats grind. You move around through a moderately open world through clicks and mostly initiate interactions. That doesn't mean a "Life Sim" is necessarily a Sims 3 clone. A Life Sim requires much more in the way of coding than a straightforward VN, as you have to program "AI" to model how characters behave and such, if you don't just have them sit in the same place all the time. A VN by comparison requiring basically no programming at all, all you do is purely story - which is what Ptolemy is obviously much better at than coding life sims.

"Life Sim" and "Straightforward VN" are completely different game styles. And my argument was that this game here would do much better if it was restructured as a VN, rather than as a life sim. It wouldn't even need much reworking, all you basically do is remove the life sim code and then select in what order you string together the individual scenes, which remain unchanged. Ptolemy could literally do that in under a day - And it'd save time in the long run, because he wouldn't have to spend many more days incorporating the scenes he's writing into a much more complex life sim. He'd just go "Ok, after this scene you get the choice for this or this scene" instead of having to juggle event triggers.

Rosa Melano

Jul 12, 2017
@Ptolemy so if i become a $50 patron exactly what i can ask for it? can i ask for an exclusive path just for dana? or take maria from john just for chris? and that she is happy just with chris, dana and andrea don't go for any other guys? or that you take jessica to the first track date and she crash get trapped in the car then a spark and she dies burned alive?

Ptolemy

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2017
@Ptolemy so if i become a $50 patron exactly what i can ask for it? can i ask for an exclusive path just for dana? or take maria from john just for chris? and that she is happy just with chris, dana and andrea don't go for any other guys? or that you take jessica to the first track date and she crash get trapped in the car then a spark and she dies burned alive?
Easy tiger. 5$ is fine.

I have only one 50$ patron, and I'm basically making "Intimate Relations" for him. It's still my game, but his initial vision. Not sure that I could handle a second 50$ patron.
As far as DoD is concerned, the story is more or less set.
There will be a Dana only ending.
Please tell me which other guy has Andrea slept with?
The Maria thing? No, it doesn't fit her character.
You may not like Jessica, but other people do. Including myself.

And could you please tone down the insults? I have a thick skin, but still....

Ptolemy

RobJoy

Jul 4, 2017
Easy tiger. 5$ is fine.

I have only one 50$ patron, and I'm basically making "Intimate Relations" for him. It's still my game, but his initial vision. Not sure that I could handle a second 50$ patron.

Ptolemy
Man I have a thing for both Dana and Andrea. :)
But Andrea seems played a bit too over the top as a little girl there, daddy issues aside.

Still, these two are my favorite.

Rosa Melano

Jul 12, 2017
Easy tiger. 5$ is fine.

Ptolemy
i am sorry if you misunderstood something i said but i don't speak english, Dana only ending makes me happy, i did not say that andrea got any other guy, i was asking that if you could take maria from john if she would be happy with dana and andrea and no other guys, jessica yeah i hate her and i have read a lot of comments of people that feel the same but no one from someone to like her, and insults, as far as i remember i have not insulted you, it is because i said this update is a waste? sorry but that is for me is a personal opinion but i suppose is my fault cause you said it was an update about maria i should skip it as i said i will, but could not control myself and download it.

Ozygator

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 15, 2016
what i am doing wrong? end of week 4 dana aff 96 dana sex 54 but still no sex with her, does not answer the phone on weekend and sometimes when i go home dana come let her in watch a movie, bath, go to sleep and wake up with andrea staring at me, why?
Literally one page before you asked this question...

Keep playing the game. This is not a super complex game but it does have a bit of a grind...

1. Meet various women, talk to said women in a polite way to get their affection/interest up.
2. Once interest & sexual aspects are up high enough you get the option to go on dates with them.
3. You MUST go on the FIRST DATE solo with the woman in question.
4. Once you go at least once with the woman solo you can invite Dana along (assuming the affection/attraction level is high enough, see #1.)
5. I believe all of the solo dates have a second variation if you go out with them without Dana a second time (may be random).
6. Once you get ALL THREE of the women in dates with Dana along (Jessica & Dana date is triggered last) you will get the option to go away with Dana on a weekend.
7. Push her a bit on the weekend get-away to see a few more scenes, but I believe you get the same end result as long as you're not an ass.
8. Once you have the first weekend getaway with Dana, there is (as of now) a second date scene with Dana and all the women for the second date option.

I may have missed a few random details but this is pretty much the entire game-flow right now. It's not hard to follow since it's a pattern, but there is a bit of a grind time-wise until some stuf unlocks (I think jessica doesn't unlock until X days have passed).

(Wish there was a mandatory way to have people read the thread, or at least the last 4-5 pages of it before asking a damn question...)

Reactions: Shinsn

Ozygator

Engaged Member
Donor
Oct 15, 2016
@Ptolemy Just went through the new content, and I see where you shifted from light hearted to dark... but i think perhaps you might want to extend the scene a bit more because it makes chris look like an uncaring bastard to just go home after all that and leave her hubby to pick up the pieces. I would think a better way to round out might be to bring all three back to one place (perhaps chris' place) and both of them help her recover better? and perhaps having dana come in and help out? hmmm just a few thoughts there.. perhaps that's where she starts to want to avoid "let John" do her :) hehe and it could also lead into the Dana-Chris-Maria-John get away? just a few thoughts. well done!
There you go, fixed that for you. I'm all for sharing when the story calls for it, but seriously, why would she ever let John go that way, other than to please Chris? It's pretty clear from her comments already she has zero attraction to him (remember her comments when they first met John & Maria at the diner?) and only goes along with the deal because Chris encouraged her.

I know some want Dana to turn into a complete mindless and stereotypical Bimbo, see corrupted comments up above, like countless other female characters in games on F95, but I hope not. Right now, Dana is one of the better ones, with a brain (that she knows how to use) and defined things she does, and more importantly, does not want in her life. So let's not turn her into a cheap clone of all the other bimbo/slutification stories that litter the landscape here.

dunhill

May 3, 2017
Easy tiger. 5$ is fine.

Ptolemy
ending??? why?? this is one game i don't mind going on forever....:'( but i guess you must end it and Intimate Relations will be your main project (i do enjoy both games).... i also like black chicks but Jessica is a bit too dom for my taste, would be nice to see another black chick thats a total sub or maybe in another game.... i do enjoy your games, you got talent :):)

Reactions: Corrupted

Bahamut Zero

Engaged Member
Apr 27, 2017
i just do not understand Dana go with john? Mary husband? Please tell me no, because the one thing that i really like from this story is Dana brain! She is different from the other girl. She is the perfect one, cute, sweet. She know how to use her brain! So please do not turn her into another slut woman. Is a ugly cliche, if you do something like that.

For the other girl, well perhaps the only one I find less sexy is Jessica the black one. Not for her skin, but for the bald head.
I really like long haired girl. So the bald one make me avoid her. But i avoid much more Mary and her husband i do not like to shared me girl. So i much concentrated on Dana for the most. Then Andrea and Jessica. Avoid almost all the content from that couple. I hope to see content like, Chris who in some way escape with Dana and than marries her.
Some sex content where you see Chris/Dana in wedding dress. Also some pregnancy scene. I'm that type of person who, if i were in a similar situation, would run away with her and do exactly what I just wrote XD

Reactions: Obrist

CobraSGT

Jun 3, 2017
i just do not understand Dana go with john? Mary husband? Please tell me no, because the one thing that i really like from this story is Dana brain! She is different from the other girl. She is the perfect one, cute, sweet. She know how to use her brain! So please do not turn her into another slut woman. Is a ugly cliche, if you do something like that.

For the other girl, well perhaps the only one I find less sexy is Jessica the black one. Not for her skin, but for the bald head.
I really like long haired girl. So the bald one make me avoid her. But i avoid much more Mary and her husband i do not like to shared me girl. So i much concentrated on Dana for the most. Then Andrea and Jessica. Avoid almost all the content from that couple. I hope to see content like, Chris who in some way escape with Dana and than marries her.
Some sex content where you see Chris/Dana in wedding dress. Also some pregnancy scene. I'm that type of person who, if i were in a similar situation, would run away with her and do exactly what I just wrote XD
its not necessary to share her, if you go with her and mary to the strip club then go to mary's home she ask you what do you want to do if you want to share her or not but better avoid all that scenes and yes jessica is horrible not physically but her personality the bald head and the fact that she wants to take dana :mad:

Reactions: Namco15

Freki

Game Developer
May 16, 2017
@Corrupted I guess you are the only one that can be right. 1) I know what a "LIFE SIM" IS... 2) I am looking at it in a much different point of view than you are, we are worlds apart. I will not continue to argue or even discuss this with you. 3) if you don't like it so much why don't you go and do this yourself. I'm sure you can come up with something better since you obviously know sooo much more. with this I am done, you of course may do as you wish I have said what I will and we obviously completely disagree, I also disagree that you even were close to respectful to Ptolemy and his work but that is my opinion nothing more.

@Ozygator I don't even know you and I'm going to block you. Why? because you presume to know me and think I am exactly like you. go play your way and leave the good people alone.

3.90 star(s) 64 Votes