Skode

Mar 9, 2020
I think just breaking updates into days is better for the plans approach to planning. He does most of an update or two ahead of schedule normally so he can simply plan what he wants in the next couple of days and work on that accordingly vs just having a decimal followed by a number and throw out what was made that month or so for that update.

Sjmurphy

Mar 24, 2018
First of all, I apologize for the long o'holding silence. With the discontinuation of the weekly status reports, we were certain at the time that Month 1 would be released shortly afterwards, but as time has taught us, unfortunately this was not the case.
From a technical point of view there wasn't any setbacks, but in terms of personnel. The state of health of some of my employees has largely deteriorated to such an extent that work on Month 1 was not completely stopped, but slowed down considerably and it was therefore impossible to present a new release date.
Unfortunately, we are not a multimillion dollar corporation that can simply cope with setbacks if a few employees are absent. Everyone who works on Ecchi Sensei, with the exception of me, does it on a part-time basis. Nevertheless, my employees have defined roles and areas of responsibility that cannot be transferred to others. In certain areas I could look for a replacement, but the replacement would first have to be familiarized with the very complex topic. For core tasks, which e.g. Latecomer occupies, it's absolutely unthinkable to get a temporary replacement on board.
Long story short, and this might sound like a cheap excuse to some, but rest assured - We still have an urgent need to continue Ecchi Sensei.

I am very aware of the displeasure of many, and I read again and again from pessimist's and people who've got no idea that Ecchi Sensei has been canceled, or that the dev got no drive anymore and blah. Eat my shorts! My entire team and I are excited to continue with Ecchi Sensei and even if my arm fell off, I would continue.
Once again in plain text: To our regret, Ecchi Sensei Month 1 is very late, but none of us is even thinking about discontinuing the project.

All Tier 7+ Patrons among you, who already have access to future updates in the form images I've created for the updates after Month 1: Day 22 + 23, as well as day 24-26 know that I have already done preparatory work in order to be able to fully start after Month 1.
I assure you that as soon as we're absolutely sure that we have a release date to announce, we will let you know immediately.

I hope this sign of life will calm your minds and that you're going to be patient with us a little longer. You can decide whether it was worth the wait or not. But we won't give up. That much is certain.
With this in mind, I wish everyone in love a happy Valentine's Day and everyone else a good start into the new week.

Stay healthy and if you meet people who claim Ecchi Sensei will be canceled, you can tell them the following from me:

"BlueCat said that people like you... *insert a swear word* and *insert another swear word*. Also, you are... *insert insult* so *insert swear word* and *insult the mother of the person*. ALL HAIL BLUECAT! Peace."

Apr 19, 2020
Lmao. He'll never release it, at this point he's just giving excuses to scam as much money as possible before pulling the plug.
You do realise how profitable this game could become, and how this delay has set that back? Even if he only cared for money, which he does not, I'm sure they wouldn't just end it here. They will finish this game. Because they have the motivation to do so, this is not a financial issue. Also, the patrons who pay towards the game willingly do it. It is not a scam at all

MattStryker

Apr 28, 2017
Sooooooo, strap in a bit and I'd say like half of this is pure conjecture but, its what I've got from monitoring soooo yeah.

So I have absolutely no idea why he releases things as days and weeks instead of one massive main game, I have to believe it is because of his shitty code knowledge in the beginning, and this was his compromise. Blue's a writer and can do renders, but a coder he most certainly isn't by any means. I think this was his simplification system for how to manage the game and building it, until he got actual code help but now its just part of the quirk of how the game is built. Do realize I cannot confirm this information but I'm basing it entirely off what I know of Blue, and how is team is built.

As for what's the major issues with updates? Translations are a big one, writing it in German (his native language) and then having to have his proofreader translate everything and keeping his superb writing intact. This is the biggest drain on time, as Blue is not a native English speaker it would come out choppier and lose many idioms, metaphors, alliterations-you know all that cool wordplay and shit that makes stuff interesting. So all of Ecchi Sensei script needs to be cleaned up and read proper, this is quite a process as you might guess, you can render all you want, hell even streamline your code, but translations of this quality take time and energy to accomplish.

I know that's not specifically what you asked, but people in the past said Renders and code aren't that hard, and I have to make clear that this shit needs translated each time, and needs to be held to a high standards of narrative quality.

As for why this merge has taken forever? That's because we told them to work out literally everything they could find during a merge all at once, its a daunting task, and they had to tackle some very tough issues. Bluecat does not want this to be a simple VN, he wants it to be the greatest fucking experience of all time, he's got big ambitions for this and has a big appetite to make it into what he knows it can be. Sorry about how long its taking, but this is only the second merge, and its a massive beast to tango with.

The next merge will be six in game months, so we've still got at least a year and a half until we have to go through anything again-even then it might be super simple at that point. Also as a point, not every VN on this site just goes update to update, Mr. Dots is a known example of having split story parts up in DMD, as have other creators. It's simply uncommon to handle it this way, but merging does more than just smash everything together.

The merge will end sometime soon, I do hope, but until then just know that the reason why this is occurring is because the patrons told them to do it this way, and Bluecat is very ambitious and doesn't want this to ever be "just another VN". This whole thing is a big mess but once they clean it up, and ship it out. it'll be a nice polished stone for us all to gawk at. Until then please be patient.

I may have tangent off a bit, and I'm sorry, TL;DR-the game is made in a quirky fashion, that isn't unheard of with larger titles, and the reason the merges happen like this all at once is because Patrons said to do it that way to the Devs way back when.
So essentially its a completely artificial fault in his system of making the game that could remove months of unnecessary mergers if he just released the game normally without breaking it up and stitching it together again. Especially considering how much money they are making a month hiring a competent coder to actually put the game together is reasonable. I'm not a patron but I dont see why anyone should give money to someone that is essentially creating delays on purpose when there is a solution right in front of them.

RandoCard3

Mar 17, 2019
So essentially its a completely artificial fault in his system of making the game that could remove months of unnecessary mergers if he just released the game normally without breaking it up and stitching it together again. Especially considering how much money they are making a month hiring a competent coder to actually put the game together is reasonable. I'm not a patron but I dont see why anyone should give money to someone that is essentially creating delays on purpose when there is a solution right in front of them.
It's not putting them together that's causing things to take so long though. What exactly do you expect to change if they just released it as a whole thing every time, beyond increased upload and download times?

Reactions: Dragon1982

Sjmurphy

Mar 24, 2018
Unfortunately, we are not a multimillion dollar corporation that can simply cope with setbacks if a few employees are absent. Everyone who works on Ecchi Sensei, with the exception of me, does it on a part-time basis. Nevertheless, my employees have defined roles and areas of responsibility that cannot be transferred to others. In certain areas I could look for a replacement, but the replacement would first have to be familiarized with the very complex topic. For core tasks, which eg Latecomer occupies, it's absolutely unthinkable to get a temporary replacement on board.

KilljoyTRV

Game Developer
Oct 24, 2018
Unfortunately, we are not a multimillion dollar corporation that can simply cope with setbacks if a few employees are absent. Everyone who works on Ecchi Sensei, with the exception of me, does it on a part-time basis. Nevertheless, my employees have defined roles and areas of responsibility that cannot be transferred to others. In certain areas I could look for a replacement, but the replacement would first have to be familiarized with the very complex topic. For core tasks, which eg Latecomer occupies, it's absolutely unthinkable to get a temporary replacement on board.
Anyone who has never run a business will not understand. I do, so I do. Can't wait for the update!

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
So, was absent due to Valentines, and can confirm and back up Bluecat's statements. Sorry people, but we'll get through it together, though due to warnings I will keep it very clean and professional and tell you naysayers you're simply misunderstanding and very incorrect as to who Bluecat is.

Happy Valentines!

MattStryker

Apr 28, 2017
It's not putting them together that's causing things to take so long though. What exactly do you expect to change if they just released it as a whole thing every time, beyond increased upload and download times?
That's exactly what is taking such a long time though. Maybe in this instance staff issues contributed but its still five months achieving pretty much nothing in terms of development. If the game is released normally and file size compressed than the five months compiling month 1 would instead be spent on normal development. There are plenty of large games on this size that manage this. There is no reason why BlueCat couldn't have made the game that way after going through this headache with week 1.

c4145317

Oct 14, 2019
While health issues are slightly more believable than the usual patreon hgames "I'm sick guys for real" death throes thanks to corona, I'd like to know how far progress is and how much there is left to do.
I've read through several of the patreon's weekly updates and so far all I understand there's a team, and that they're busy at work. Who are the team members, what are their typical roles, and what have their tasks been during this merge? I know at least one team member is a proofreader, however I can't imagine what he has had to proofread in a merge without new content.
Has the entire team been slapping their foreheads against their keyboards since June 20th (day 20+21 final release) in an attempt to code new features?

tazaaron

Donor
Oct 18, 2019
Someone is sick and its a main man on the team.

If you want more answers you should be supporting and or on Discord. If your not then why do you care what someone does. Not costing you anything. As far as week 4 from what i know BC does his thing then the team does the rest. His team is working on month 1 not week 4.

Badjourasmix

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 22, 2017
I think you should be required to provide some ID to create an account in this forum. Reading some of the comments here, I am 100% sure a lot of you probably aren't even in high school yet. Bunch of entitled kids that never pay for anything and all they do is complain. No wonder you can't stop talking about milking, it probably wasn't that long ago that you stopped breastfeeding.

RandoCard3

Mar 17, 2019
That's exactly what is taking such a long time though. Maybe in this instance staff issues contributed but its still five months achieving pretty much nothing in terms of development. If the game is released normally and file size compressed than the five months compiling month 1 would instead be spent on normal development. There are plenty of large games on this size that manage this. There is no reason why BlueCat couldn't have made the game that way after going through this headache with week 1.
No it's not. It's the bug fixes and better implementation of mechanics that's causing problems, and they'd still need to do that, even if it was released as one big release every time.

Apr 19, 2020
No it's not. It's the bug fixes and better implementation of mechanics that's causing problems, and they'd still need to do that, even if it was released as one big release every time.
That's true. It looks like the majority of time has been spent on rewriting the entire games code, enhancing the games mechanics, and translating/proofreading it etc. Having it in one file instead of 3 wouldn't really change any of those tasks, the game would still need to be overhauled as they've been doing whether they're merging the 3 weeks or not

Reactions: RandoCard3
Oct 25, 2018
I think you should be required to provide some ID to create an account in this forum. Reading some of the comments here, I am 100% sure a lot of you probably aren't even in high school yet. Bunch of entitled kids that never pay for anything and all they do is complain. No wonder you can't stop talking about milking, it probably wasn't that long ago that you stopped breastfeeding.
I love breastfeeding!
But that doesn't change the fact that developers are at risk 24/7.
We need to donate more! :BootyTime:
I'll leave one of my favorite screenshots here!:HideThePain::HideThePain::HideThePain:

Apr 19, 2020
I love breastfeeding!
But that doesn't change the fact that developers are at risk 24/7.
We need to donate more! :BootyTime:
I'll leave one of my favorite screenshots here!:HideThePain::HideThePain::HideThePain:
In terms of that screenshot and with plenty of respect, developers don't owe you an explanation for anything. You don't own them, and if they bother to give you a reason as to why a delay has happened, you can either believe it or not. Regardless it is their game, and just because you've played it, it does not mean that you are owed anything. If you won't believe an excuse, don't bother asking for or looking for one

4.10 star(s) 145 Votes