tarzan999

Aug 11, 2016
This is true to some degree but it mostly comes down to just variable naming and how you make comments in your code. Sometimes different programmers have preference of one solution over another but it doesn't mean another programmer can't take on the project or adapt it to their style. Most of the time programmers are actually working in teams and if they aren't following the standards and conventions then they are either way too inexperienced for a project like this anyway or are an asshole.

A project like this should have had multiple programmers working on it from a long time ago anyway specifically so that stuff like this hugely delayed merge because one guy has health issues don't happen. The best would be to have a whole new team of programmers come in and fix the mess that latecomer created but also acceptable would be to hire someone new as a lead programmer, have latecomer guide them through his mess to get everything fixed quicker and then have this new lead programmer be in charge of latecomer so that these fuck ups and spaghetti code don't keep happening.
What happens if you have to deal with a programmer who is inexperienced AND an asshole? I am looking for a job.

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
What happens if you have to deal with a programmer who is inexperienced AND an asshole? I am looking for a job.
Ngl that one made me chuckle

Can't reveal anything on the backup, sorry, but I'll inform you more on what's going on when we get there.

As for hiring more people, they actually do have a second programmer who does more of the niche codework that sucks ass to deal with. All the fun options Blue wanted to implement and such. Ah well we will see what comes of everything.

Smarmint

Mar 23, 2019
The best would be to have a whole new team of programmers come in and fix the mess that latecomer created but also acceptable would be to hire someone new as a lead programmer, have latecomer guide them through his mess to get everything fixed quicker and then have this new lead programmer be in charge of latecomer so that these fuck ups and spaghetti code don't keep happening.
But, why? Seriously? There is practically nothing to program. Just take the dialog from the existing game, and use straight stock Renpy Engine and just make a brand new script file from scratch, and done.

Can someone explain to me why Echhi Sensei, the most linear VN here practically, with no meaningful choices so far, needs any special code or anything custom other than straight Renpy?

Everyone keeps saying it needs lots of programming, but as a programmer myself, who has looked at many Renpy script files, why?

I agree with you, AnimeKing. A new group of programmers to just come in and fix everything is the best option. Starting over, with the existing dialog and images would be 80% of the way there.

Last edited:

AnimeKing314

Giant Perv
Game Developer
Jun 28, 2018
But, why? Seriously? There is practically nothing to program. Just take the dialog from the existing game, and use straight stock Renpy Engine and just make a brand new script file from scratch, and done.

Can someone explain to me why Echhi Sensei, the most linear VN here practically, with no meaningful choices so far, needs any special code or anything custom other than straight Renpy?

Everyone keeps saying it needs lots of programming, but as a programmer myself, who has looked at many Renpy script files, why?

I agree with you, AnimeKing. A new group of programmers to just come in and fix everything is the best option. Starting over, with the existing dialog and images would be 80% of the way there.
Fully agree that there's nothing too complicated in it, I unrened it myself a while back just to see and it's all pretty basic. Some of the features they want would need actual python code (at the very least to have the feature actually work well) which I consider to be beyond basic renpy but I'm sure each person would define things differently.

That being said, you're right that having a single programmer could be enough for this game, provided their reasonably skilled and have enough time and that's where a larger team would come in - to share the workload so no single person can cause huge delays and, as per your last point, to fix what's broken in a timely matter.

Basically, having a larger team of programmers is more about efficiency than difficulty and considering their patreon numbers, there's little reason not to have an extra couple hands, especially during the merge which they hopefully know now always ends up in a shitshow.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Some programmers explained to me that well.. programming is like art, everyone has their own style, so for the sake of the argument, imagine calling Picaso to finish a work from Vangoh or Da Vinci
Actually Picasso proved himself with conventional painting before going into Cubism. More appropriate would be asking Da Vinci or Rembrandt to finish a painting by Picasso or Pollock. We'd soon learn how to say "What is this shit?" in Dutch or Italian.

Reactions: VNPlayerCalisto

Bomatres

Dec 9, 2018
idk if this has been asked before, but why are we not getting the day 22 and later while waiting for this latecomer dude to finish his/her part on the merging?
if s/he really is the sole reason the merging is delayed, surely you can hire another person to fill his/her job for the day 22 and later and release it while we wait for the merging
why bluecat didn't do that?

Idk how game business work, but in culinary thats how we do it. When the main chef is late, we make the preparation and serve the simple dish first and sometime give some extra food like bread or drink to appease the customer

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Jeancul

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
Okay you guys take this shit way too negatively, I didn't lie but I am being entirely realistic that the merge will not be completed, then tested, then tweaked, then tested again, then any issues resolved, then rolled out as a final version before the end of the year. Remember there's a process to releases: Alpha, Beta, Final.

Even with that understanding I don't see if being possible that we get the alpha before end of year, just that its done by that point and ready for packing up early January for testers like me to report any errant typos and shit. You guys aren't supposed to fucking have the Alpha and Beta versions in the first place, so it doesn't count as an actual "We will have something". Yes we are pirates, doesn't mean I count shit as a release when its a leaked version.

Bite me.

As for Smartmint, you are entirely right and the major reason is that for large swaths of the timeframe no work was actually being done. Plus all of week 1's hard code being changed to be all variable based instead so that it would cut down on file sizing. I'm not arguing at all, I get it, just expressing the hard points on the matter and I agree this took way longer than any reasonable excuses can be made for it.

Dukez

Dec 19, 2020
Bluecat just comes across as a scammer to some degree to me, since his rather dishonest and nothing comes about from their "plans" and there's no legitimate excuse they could tell that would lead to over a year delay when it was *nearly done* back in December for it's planned release last year. Obviously IRL health stuff happened but in the grand scheme of this time it's not a significant piece of the puzzle here.

It still amazes me how even *if* it's purely programming troubles, how BlueCat hasn't ever decided to post some picture previews of upcoming content etc (which wouldn't take much time to procure! Assuming it's not already done??) let alone maybe decide to do a special just to put something out this year?

What a scheme. Looking forward to future longer-than-intended(kappa) delays in the future.

Paitryn

Mar 10, 2017
Bluecat just comes across as a scammer to some degree to me, since his rather dishonest and nothing comes about from their "plans" and there's no legitimate excuse they could tell that would lead to over a year delay when it was *nearly done* back in December for it's planned release last year. Obviously IRL health stuff happened but in the grand scheme of this time it's not a significant piece of the puzzle here.

It still amazes me how even *if* it's purely programming troubles, how BlueCat hasn't ever decided to post some picture previews of upcoming content etc (which wouldn't take much time to procure! Assuming it's not already done??) let alone maybe decide to do a special just to put something out this year?

What a scheme. Looking forward to future longer-than-intended(kappa) delays in the future.
I wouldn't call him a scammer. Dude delivered consistently for a long time before it all fell apart. He just can't seem to handle things when they fall apart well. Something I said a year ago still stands, even if they are too stubborn to admit it. There were better solutions to this issue that were just ignored.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Jeancul

Banish

Mar 29, 2019
He isn't a scammer. A scammer would come from time to time delivering some candy eye and sweet words. Here it's almost dead silence if it wasn't for the poor PR guy (skummy) that seems to now suffering from mental disorder having to answer the same question thousands times. I can almost hear his broken recorded voice in my brain.

That whole span of a year without any updates hurts him too much to be called a scammer. Still, the management behind this game is..almost as chaotic as was cyberpunk 2077 and the patches behind. I am not sure how it is possible for such a long time to pass without finding a viable solution, the only thing it can be called is a human failure on gargantuan level.

Jeancul

Mar 17, 2017
❀ Welcome to BlueCat ❀

GOALS

€2,218.52 - reached! per month

$2500 would be a big milestone for me. I would hire a modder to create new objects and maps, and that would also mean I would be able to distribute my work effort more efficiently because I would no longer have to invest multiple days a month working with Sketchup and Unity.

€2,975
PER MONTH

:unsure: ... :rolleyes: ... :LOL::ROFLMAO: !!!

Skummy Ecchi

Apr 18, 2019
Anyways, moving on, anyone coming into this thread ignore any posts describing Bluecat as a scammer, as you can tell it is just a trolling fun time done by some people who didn't get what they wanted. I lost my temper with them but I'm back to normal as I have come back to remembering to ignore them, classic internet rule. At current the deadline for Latecomer to deliver is by end of year, and after that we will be seeing how things progress.

If you are confused, just look back to any of my other informational posts, I've made plenty. I will be here to keep everyone informed on the status of the merge as and when information becomes fully available. As it is the holiday season I have been busy and not able to keep as up to date as I should have. Apologies.

Everything will be fine no matter how this all pans out, and once things progress to the deadline, I'll let you all know what's going to happen based on if Latecomer pulled through or not.

Stay Honest, Stay Ecchi!

~Skummy Out

Banish

Mar 29, 2019
I doubt Latecomer will pull through anything, hope, wish sure but doubt of it. As for what they intend to do after, I hope they didn't wait for some white smoke (like the vatican) to shows off Latecomer's ass to start working on something else. They honestly lost enough time and people's faith to just wait on before acting.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Just had a major crash in week 1 at the point where you get the options to chat with four girls at night or skip. This followed an insane amount of traceback errors all with the option to ignore, which I pressed thinking it would just be one or a few at most. The traceback text is attached.

4.10 star(s) 145 Votes