Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
Alternatively, it's actually harder to make an interesting text-based game than it is to throw together some screenshots from DAZ/Poser/HoneySelect and copy paste "and then they fukkt" a 100 times.
It's really not that nobody is interested in text-based games, it's that there aren't any good ones.
There's like 1.5 translated Era games, Lilith's Throne and...that's it.
What do you mean? Corruption of Champions and Trials in Tainted Space is pretty decent, despite it having many, many contributors. Flexible survival, which has been around for at least a decade is still pretty good. Corrupted Saviors has pretty novel and challenging mechanics. Degrees of Lewdity is one of the more popular games on this site. Night games, which does not include TF like the previous examples, is also a solid choice. And these are just some of the ones I've played. There's plenty of good text-based games, I don't know why you're pretending there isn't.
The common trend between many text-based games is its visual limitations. Unless you're a billion dollar company, it's impractical to commission art for a game that has 100+ distinct and unique characters, let alone 100k+ possible TF combinations. It's simply more economical to describe what the many combinations of characters or players look like than to draw them all out and make it somehow work. If that kind of thing could be done, a lot less text-based games would stay text-based. Nobody looks at a non text-based game and thinks "man, I wish this was a text-based game." Who the hell is going to object to adding more art?

Reactions: PixelLewd

DL 16

Jul 1, 2019
What do you mean? Corruption of Champions and Trials in Tainted Space is pretty decent, despite it having many, many contributors. Flexible survival, which has been around for at least a decade is still pretty good. Corrupted Saviors has pretty novel and challenging mechanics. Degrees of Lewdity is one of the more popular games on this site. Night games, which does not include TF like the previous examples, is also a solid choice. And these are just some of the ones I've played. There's plenty of good text-based games, I don't know why you're pretending there isn't.
It ultimately depends on what qualifies as a "good" text-based game for each player.
Some enjoy large blocks of text with every click, some like that it leaves room for player interpretation, etc.
My point of view is that the best text-based games grant the player with much autonomy, while a substantial number of existing text-based games are "flexible" but not "sandbox".
For example, the existence of crucial storylines and checkpoints which the player eventually runs into during every game. Like in Pokemon where if you don't defeat the Gym leaders, the game looks and feels incomplete. You can use different Pokemon to defeat each Gym, but it doesn't change that you have to defeat them.

Although every game would have its end goal, some encourage the player to set their own goals.
The Bannerlord franchise can be an example. The endgame would be to conquer the entire land, but you could also be content with just having a castle, being a marauding bandit, or a successful merchant.
Don't want to talk to this NPC? That's fine; the world can live and progress without you, yet your influence can clearly impact the game whenever you choose to do so.

Era games tend to embody the latter example.
The player is dropped into a world and there is absolutely no storyteller to tell you what to achieve, when to achieve it, and how to go about it. The storyteller doesn't grasp onto a bunch of maps and mechanics and go, "You're gonna do as I say or you're not getting this".

Nobody looks at a non text-based game and thinks "man, I wish this was a text-based game." Who the hell is going to object to adding more art?
I feel that it would depend on the game mechanics.
If the game allows the player to direct whatever scene they wish, having just one discrepant detail can break immersion (e.g. background, position, proportion).
In other words, the deeper the mechanics, the higher the player autonomy, thus more difficult to match the player's perception.

Reactions: PixelLewd

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
It ultimately depends on what qualifies as a "good" text-based game for each player.
Some enjoy large blocks of text with every click, some like that it leaves room for player interpretation, etc.
My point of view is that the best text-based games grant the player with much autonomy, while a substantial number of existing text-based games are "flexible" but not "sandbox".
For example, the existence of crucial storylines and checkpoints which the player eventually runs into during every game. Like in Pokemon where if you don't defeat the Gym leaders, the game looks and feels incomplete. You can use different Pokemon to defeat each Gym, but it doesn't change that you have to defeat them.

Although every game would have its end goal, some encourage the player to set their own goals.
The Bannerlord franchise can be an example. The endgame would be to conquer the entire land, but you could also be content with just having a castle, being a marauding bandit, or a successful merchant.
Don't want to talk to this NPC? That's fine; the world can live and progress without you, yet your influence can clearly impact the game whenever you choose to do so.

Era games tend to embody the latter example.
The player is dropped into a world and there is absolutely no storyteller to tell you what to achieve, when to achieve it, and how to go about it. The storyteller doesn't grasp onto a bunch of maps and mechanics and go, "You're gonna do as I say or you're not getting this".
While it's true that no given title will be universally considered good, the point that I was trying to make is that there are plenty of text-based games that are fairly well-received and popular. The claim wasn't that there aren't enough sandbox text-based games, it was "that there aren't any good ones." You can try to analyze what this person meant, but the words they chose do not reflect the points you are making. The conversation so far wasn't about why EraToho or similar games are "good," but rather why text-based games are underappreciated.
I feel that it would depend on the game mechanics.
If the game allows the player to direct whatever scene they wish, having just one discrepant detail can break immersion (e.g. background, position, proportion).
In other words, the deeper the mechanics, the higher the player autonomy, thus more difficult to match the player's perception.
If a discrepant detail exists, one simply needs to change the details or words to match, not throw out all the art. How the hell is mechanics even relevant here? Did you delete a whole paragraph by accident or something?

Edit: You seem to be nitpicking select words you don't like. You deliberately chose to ignore the ongoing conversation and context presented to make arguments against a couple phrases, for some reasons.

Last edited:

DL 16

Jul 1, 2019
While it's true that no given title will be universally considered good, the point that I was trying to make is that there are plenty of text-based games that are fairly well-received and popular. The claim wasn't that there aren't enough sandbox text-based games, it was "that there aren't any good ones." You can try to analyze what this person meant, but the words they chose do not reflect the points you are making. The conversation so far wasn't about why EraToho or similar games are "good," but rather why text-based games are underappreciated.
I'm not sure if I came off as aggressive; I really do hope not. But I can admit we seem to be having a carefully worded discussion. I also hope you're not angry because I'm not.
I read that the main point was that text-based games were underappreciated because there aren't many good ones. And then it was elaborated by the person that there exist only 1.5 + 1 good text-based games.
I looked at the 1.5 + 1 examples provided, considered my experiences in playing those games, and determined that they share common features.
These common features could be what the person considers synonymous to a good game.
But there is a chance I am mistaken, so I first present that view as my own because it is something I can agree with, while acknowledging that if that is the opinion in this case, it is just a personal opinion.
Because you mentioned that you "weren't sure what they meant" and "why they're pretending" there are only 1.5 + 1 good games, so I elaborated on why those examples you provided might still be excluded from "good".

If a discrepant detail exists, one simply needs to change the details or words to match, not throw out all the art. How the hell is mechanics even relevant here? Did you delete a whole paragraph by accident or something?

Edit: You seem to be nitpicking select words you don't like. You deliberately chose to ignore the ongoing conversation and context presented to make arguments against a couple phrases, for some reasons.
What I wrote is an acceptable answer to the quoted sentence/question. But whether it can be considered a response to the entire paragraph, I'm not really sure. For that, I apologize for digressing.

Shuuiy

Jan 5, 2018
Is anal pregnancy broken? I don't see the fertility days, nor does my character seem to get preg on the fet days in the character creator.

Ferghus

Engaged Member
Aug 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I came off as aggressive; I really do hope not. But I can admit we seem to be having a carefully worded discussion. I also hope you're not angry because I'm not.
I read that the main point was that text-based games were underappreciated because there aren't many good ones. And then it was elaborated by the person that there exist only 1.5 + 1 good text-based games.
I looked at the 1.5 + 1 examples provided, considered my experiences in playing those games, and determined that they share common features.
These common features could be what the person considers synonymous to a good game.
But there is a chance I am mistaken, so I first present that view as my own because it is something I can agree with, while acknowledging that if that is the opinion in this case, it is just a personal opinion.
Because you mentioned that you "weren't sure what they meant" and "why they're pretending" there are only 1.5 + 1 good games, so I elaborated on why those examples you provided might still be excluded from "good".
I don't know why you thought to mention that you aren't angry, but the question I asked wasn't directed at you. You're trying to present your opinion as someone else's opinion, which is rude as hell. Sandbox gameplay isn't the only commonality between the Era games and Lilith's throne. I don't know why you're trying to find a link when you don't even know what the second Era game is referring to. And even if you happened to be right, you have no idea if this dude is alright with you answering for them. The basis for your reply was formed on several assumptions. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that your reply wasn't relevant to why text-based games are underappreciated, which is something that me and the other guy seem to agree on.

What I wrote is an acceptable answer to the quoted sentence/question. But whether it can be considered a response to the entire paragraph, I'm not really sure. For that, I apologize for digressing.
Even if you ignored the context from the rest of the paragraph, I don't see how you came to the conclusion that's an acceptable answer. Having a visual discrepancy isn't a mechanics issue. I've never heard of a game where a discrepancy in its visuals caused it to be converted into a text-base game. I even pointed out that it's a relatively easy fix if it's just a mismatch of visuals and text. I don't know if you're trying to gaslight me or what, but I don't understand your train of logic.

DL 16

Jul 1, 2019
I don't know why you thought to mention that you aren't angry, but the question I asked wasn't directed at you. You're trying to present your opinion as someone else's opinion, which is rude as hell. Sandbox gameplay isn't the only commonality between the Era games and Lilith's throne. I don't know why you're trying to find a link when you don't even know what the second Era game is referring to. And even if you happened to be right, you have no idea if this dude is alright with you answering for them. The basis for your reply was formed on several assumptions. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that your reply wasn't relevant to why text-based games are underappreciated, which is something that me and the other guy seem to agree on.
I disagree with several statements in this paragraph.
I'll also leave it as such because I have other things I should do.

Is anal pregnancy broken? I don't see the fertility days, nor does my character seem to get preg on the fet days in the character creator.
I agree it has been broken for me too.
I would suggest bringing it up on the era games discord channel.

Shuuiy

Jan 5, 2018
I disagree with several statements in this paragraph.
I'll also leave it as such because I have other things I should do.

I agree it has been broken for me too.
I would suggest bringing it up on the era games discord channel.
Hang on is it in active development?? I thought it was completed/abandoned and the current team were just translators lol.

VespidV

Dec 11, 2016
Hey a question, is it possible to change rhe gender of all the demons in eramegaten?
Yeah there's items that can change the gender of any character including the player that you can buy under the buy training item list, although I don't know if they all show up right away or if you have to raise your contribution enough before they start showing up.

FrogFrozen

Jan 9, 2018
Hang on is it in active development?? I thought it was completed/abandoned and the current team were just translators lol.
The Japanese are still actively developing many era games.

The discord people aren't just translating. They're also making their own personalized modifications to the code.

Mods are usually differences in stats, small event details, QoL, and even some new features.

drilll

Mar 18, 2019
Yeah there's items that can change the gender of any character including the player that you can buy under the buy training item list, although I don't know if they all show up right away or if you have to raise your contribution enough before they start showing up.
Thank you.
There is no way to adjust that from the settings right?

VespidV

Dec 11, 2016
Thank you.
There is no way to adjust that from the settings right?

also is there a way to cheat orbs or something? debug mode desnt offer much aside from crashes
What exactly do you mean by the first question? Also for the second question you can use cheat engine to change the number of orbs you get.

drilll

Mar 18, 2019
Thank you, didnt know that cheat engine worked.
What i meant is that in eratouhok there was an option in the settings to change the gender of all characters and i was wondering if such an option exists in megaten instead of doing it individually each time i catch a demon.

VespidV

Dec 11, 2016
Thank you, didnt know that cheat engine worked.
What i meant is that in eratouhok there was an option in the settings to change the gender of all characters and i was wondering if such an option exists in megaten instead of doing it individually each time i catch a demon.
Yeah I've never seen an option like that when playing it so you probably have to manually do it.

VespidV

Dec 11, 2016
in eratouhotw, is there an option to make the levelups at the end of the day to not appear?
For the abilities? You can set it have the abilities level up immediately once they reach the required xp rather than at the end of the day under the options menu but you can't completely remove them also you could instead just right-click once the level up section happens at the end of the day to skip the text as well.

Last edited:
4.40 star(s) 24 Votes