Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
Yeah, that is probably true. It would just lead to political discussions Cari would likely want to avoid. :HideThePain:
Couldn't have said it better. ;):HideThePain:
Remembering the WWII server war between the WRE and Colonel Wagner's forces now, another way Jerry might've gone out that time, it would've been getting carbonized by a flamethrower. :giggle::devilish:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
jujuju-anime.gif

Ellyx

Apr 9, 2022
Agreed that would be awesome, but at the same time I don't think Cari will put something like that in the game.
You already saw what happened when the teasers pics from the WWII for this last updates were posted here.... I can't even imagine what would happen for an historical moment that generate so much polarization even today.
I don't want to imagine the discussion that could come out from that...
View attachment 3081057
I remember that someone came here and complained about the use of the name "WAGNER" thinking it was linked to real life events and not a reference to one of Cari highest patreon.
So as much as it would be interesting cause knowing Caribdis it would be nicely done, it's probably for the best that it won't happen in Eternum

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
I remember that someone came here and complained about the use of the name "WAGNER" thinking it was linked to real life events and not a reference to one of Cari highest patreon.
So as much as it would be interesting cause knowing Caribdis it would be nicely done, it's probably for the best that it won't happen in Eternum
I wholeheartedly agree with you, it would go into chaos in the first 5 seconds after it's appearance, so yeah it's definitely for the best. :)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Ellyx

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
To be fair though: I doubt the name was entirely a coincidence. :illuminati:

I wholeheartedly agree with you, it would go into chaos in the first 5 seconds after it's appearance, so yeah it's definitely for the best. :)
On the other hand: It would give us great opportunities to link CHECKMATE, LINCOLNITES! episodes. :KEK:

Last edited:

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Oh, fudge. I recently started developing my own new game, and after reading the synopsis and first few pages of this thread, it's sounding a little too similar. Now I'm not sure if I should play this game to know what kind of stuff to stay away from, or avoid it completely so I don't subconsciously borrow any ideas from it. :unsure:

At the very least though, would anyone be kind enough to give me a rundown of how exactly the simulated world in Eternum works? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

CinderFall201

Feb 5, 2018
You know what would be awesome- if we had like a medieval setting type server. Like jousting and castles and stuff like that. No magic either. Either that or race car scenario where we have motor bikes and such but that's just my idea

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
Oh, fudge. I recently started developing my own new game, and after reading the synopsis and first few pages of this thread, it's sounding a little too similar. Now I'm not sure if I should play this game to know what kind of stuff to stay away from, or avoid it completely so I don't subconsciously borrow any ideas from it. :unsure:

At the very least though, would anyone be kind enough to give me a rundown of how exactly the simulated world in Eternum works? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
On the surface level Eternum works like your average futuristic VRMMO: the game package comes with a headset, a neural link that supposedly acts to connect the mind and body to the game, and an "optional" bodysuit that supposedly allows one to fully feel the various sensations you experience in the game (sight, taste, touch, the full works).

When you login, your body gets a full scan that copies your entire physical appearance into the game. Physical customization in the game is limited: you are only allowed to customize hairstyle, clothing, accessories, body tattoos, makeup, and the like. You can't change your height, weight, sex, race, or anything along those lines. However, certain servers essentially force players in adopting the "default" style or race of that particular server (so for instance, you find yourself in a mermaid server, then you transform into a mermaid).

Progression is done via a leveling system that acts more like WoW's prestige system: rather than getting stat bonuses, you are instead allowed access to certain items, equipment, and/or spells depending on your level. However, if you die your level is reset and all items in your inventory get lost unless you manage to retrieve them from where you died after the 1 day cooldown period (where you can't login).

Access through the various servers of the game is done in the Nexus, the place you first find yourself in once you log into the game. The Nexus is home to Idriel, an AI construct that serves as your guide to all things Eternum. Aside from providing new players the necessary introductions and rules to the game, she can provide you with hints and suggestions as to where to go next, as well as answer questions pertaining to the game's myriad number of servers (though granted, she can't answer EVERY question, especially with regards to the mcguffins that make up the VRMMO's main quest).

While the VN itself touches on a few of the most popular servers, the VRMMO is said to contain thousands upon thousands of servers, some spanning the size of galaxies, others just being as small as a player-owned beach or an island with a magical school. There are basically 2 types of servers: public servers are vast places where players could come in and out without issue, and private servers which are given to players (either being sold to them or given as a prize to a quest or contest) by the developer from which they can do whatever they want (within reason, of course).

And players are basically allowed to do what they want as long as they don't do anything illegal or against the game's code of conduct (i.e. rape, torture, pedophilia, human trafficking, black market shenanigans). Failure to follow this earns you the ire of the Praetorians - Eternum's AI police - who will demand that the offender cease their activities and log out, their actions pending review. Anyone who fails to comply gets "excommunicated," which is basically automatic account deletion (right after they kill off your avatar) and complete ban from ever entering Eternum.

While the player can play the game completely as a sandbox, there IS a main, "Ready Player One"-esque quest thrusted upon every one of them at the very first login: scattered throughout Eternum are items called the "Ten Gems of Doom," and whoever ends up collecting all of these end up becoming the "Ruler of Eternum" and CEO of Ulysses, the company responsible for developing and publishing the game. This is essentially the secondary main story of the VN (the primary being something that the main character chooses to do following a certain reveal at the end of 0.1).

Anyway, that covers most of the surface-level stuff about the VRMMO. I'd reveal more but I believe those basically count as spoilers that're best uncovered on your own. Hope that helps.

Oct 22, 2023
Hey Eternumites!

I have a good theory about the final battle of the Eternum. But before that, I'd like to thank Caribdis for this amazing game. You sir, are a genius and one of the best game developers out there.

Ok. This battle is going to be THE BIGGEST, THE COOLEST, and THE MOST EPIC ONE you have ever seen in any AVN. Every single character Orion met in the game will be on the battlefield!

First of all, let me say this: Although I can't explain how Orion could see Calypso without connecting in Eternum in EP5, I still believe Eternum is NOT the real world. I mean yeah, we have some clues that they could be same but I'm not convinced yet. Therefore, in my theory this battle is going to take place in Eternum (Ogygia server), not in the real world.

There are going to be two teams on the battlefield:
  • Team Orion
  • Team Thanatos
Team Orion:

Orion: The leader of his team.
Nova: The right hand of Orion, and 2nd in command.
Alex: The left hand of Orion, and 3rd in command.
The Other Characters: The real players in Eternum, such as Jerry, Raul, Noah, etc.
The Army of The Syndicate: The members of The Syndicate organization.
The Army of The Roman Empire: The United Armies of Eastern Roman Empire, Western Roman Empire, and Macedonia.
Nancy: The leader of The Roman Armies and the strategist of the team.

team-orion.jpg team-thanatos.jpg

Team Thanatos:

Thanatos: The leader of his team.
Axel: The right hand of Thanatos, and 2nd in command.
Benjamin: The left hand of Thanatos, and 3rd in command.
The NPCs: The NPCs of Eternum, including the excommunicated players like Benjamin.
The Army of The Ulysses: The employees of The Ulysses company in the real world.
The Army of The Praetorians: The AI rule enforcers in Eternum.
William: The leader of The Ulysses' Army and the strategist of the team.

The battle will begin with Orion and Thanatos fighting each other on the front line. Nova will fight Benja, while Alex will fight her brother Axel. These fights between the six most powerful players of Eternum will completely turn the front line into The Hell. I really can't imagine how epic it is going to be!

Penny is THE KEY for winning this battle, because of her healing, protecting, buffing, and debuffing skills. By that time she is going to be at grandmaster level for every each one of her skills. Team Thanatos will remain helpless as long as Penny continues to fight on the battlefield. Hence, protecting her is VERY, VERY important! At this point we need Luna, Dalia, and Annie. The one and only duty of this trio is protecting Penny at all cost! By the way, both Penny and Luna are great summoners. Penny can protect her backside by summoning her creatures onto the gray area, Luna can also protect Penny by summoning her powerful creatures onto the purple areas. Annie and Dalia are amazing fighters, too. I'm sure this trio will never have any problems protecting Penny, but only if Thanatos won't attack them directly. So Orion must NOT let Thanatos touch any of his team members, especially the trio!

The other characters like Jerry, Raul, Noah, Eva, Maat, Kitty, Megan, Balbus Bundledore, and the Professors of Warthogs are going to fight the NPCs. I think it is safe to say that we may consider the excommunicated players by the praetorians as the NPCs, too. The other characters' main duty is fighting the NPCs, and help the trio (Luna, Annie, and Dalia) to protect Penny as much as they can.

We don't know much about The Syndicate organization at the moment, but I think they are quite a large group and are great fighters. Although they hide in the shadows to protect themselves from the Praetorians, this does NOT mean that they are cowards! I'm pretty sure they have a leader, too. They will fight against the Ulysses' employees by Orion's side under their leader's command.

Nancy is going to lead The United Armies of Western Roman Empire (WRE), Eastern Roman Empire (ERE), and Macedonia as The Empress. She won't be on the battlefield, but will observe the entire warzone under the protection of an elite group of Roman special forces on a high hill during the battle. Maximo is going to lead The Roman Armies on the battlefield on behalf of Nancy and is going to follow The Empress' orders. This army is going to be the largest unit of Orion's team, and we can consider them as the backbone of the team in both defensive and offensive terms. Their main duty is fighting The Praetorian Army and support The Syndicate Army as much as they can. Nancy is also going to help Orion as the team's strategist. Nancy has already proven that she is great at planning battle strategies in EP6. I don't know William is a good strategist or not, but I'm absolutely sure that Nancy is much better than him in this regard.

Since Calypso is The 3rd Weapon of Atlas and therefore incredibly powerful, her participation in the battle will disrupt all balances against Team Thanatos. So I certainly think that she is going to be captured by Idriel in advance to ensure a fair battle. Can Idriel do that? Yes, she can! Because The Founder already told us in EP5 that Calypso was created by Idriel. No matter how powerful Calypso is, she can NOT resist Idriel's will. Even If she could somehow do it, The Founder would intervene at once and never let Calypso fight in the battle. The Founder is neither evil nor hypocritical, but is very fair and a man of his word. The only thing The Founder wants is for the person who will replace him to be someone who deserves it. That's why he created The Gems of Doom. Only THE BEST can take his place and can be The CEO of Ulysses, namely the most powerful man in the real world and the Eternum.

I think there will be two endings for Eternum: GOOD ENDING (Orion becomes The CEO) and BAD ENDING (Thanatos becomes The CEO). Winning this battle will lead us to the good ending, but losing it will lead us to the bad ending. If Orion plays his cards wisely and keeps Penny alive as long as the battle continues, he can easily win this!

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
All "faceplam" jokes aside, obviously Orion is not even the 1st in command, so how could Nova be his 2nd in command?

The command will obviously go to Nancy as it has been in the beginning of 0.6.

And Nova is no commander, Nova is a sniper. She is the one that you would send to take out high value targets from afar or to support Orion from a distance while he goes into melee combat, not to command anything.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
All "faceplam" jokes aside, obviously Orion is not even the 1st in command, so how could Nova be his 2nd in command?

And Nova is no commander, Nova is a sniper. She is the one that you would send to take out high value targets from afar or to support Orion from a distance while he goes into melee combat, not to command anything.
Of course and I agree...Buuut... I simply couldn't resist, sorry man....
TEMPTATION.gif

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022

In addition to what Dorfnutter already wrote, I would still add the following (which is what he regards as spoilers), but what might be important if you actually want to write a story with a similar setting:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Conviction07

Yvier the Duck

Dec 25, 2020

Yeah, I'm agree with you, Nancy is the commander but...

I simply couldn't resist, sorry man....
View attachment 3084020
Me neither

giphy.gif

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
On the surface level Eternum works like your average futuristic VRMMO: the game package comes with a headset, a neural link that supposedly acts to connect the mind and body to the game, and an "optional" bodysuit that supposedly allows one to fully feel the various sensations you experience in the game (sight, taste, touch, the full works).

When you login, your body gets a full scan that copies your entire physical appearance into the game. Physical customization in the game is limited: you are only allowed to customize hairstyle, clothing, accessories, body tattoos, makeup, and the like. You can't change your height, weight, sex, race, or anything along those lines. However, certain servers essentially force players in adopting the "default" style or race of that particular server (so for instance, you find yourself in a mermaid server, then you transform into a mermaid).

Progression is done via a leveling system that acts more like WoW's prestige system: rather than getting stat bonuses, you are instead allowed access to certain items, equipment, and/or spells depending on your level. However, if you die your level is reset and all items in your inventory get lost unless you manage to retrieve them from where you died after the 1 day cooldown period (where you can't login).

Access through the various servers of the game is done in the Nexus, the place you first find yourself in once you log into the game. The Nexus is home to Idriel, an AI construct that serves as your guide to all things Eternum. Aside from providing new players the necessary introductions and rules to the game, she can provide you with hints and suggestions as to where to go next, as well as answer questions pertaining to the game's myriad number of servers (though granted, she can't answer EVERY question, especially with regards to the mcguffins that make up the VRMMO's main quest).

While the VN itself touches on a few of the most popular servers, the VRMMO is said to contain thousands upon thousands of servers, some spanning the size of galaxies, others just being as small as a player-owned beach or an island with a magical school. There are basically 2 types of servers: public servers are vast places where players could come in and out without issue, and private servers which are given to players (either being sold to them or given as a prize to a quest or contest) by the developer from which they can do whatever they want (within reason, of course).

And players are basically allowed to do what they want as long as they don't do anything illegal or against the game's code of conduct (i.e. rape, torture, pedophilia, human trafficking, black market shenanigans). Failure to follow this earns you the ire of the Praetorians - Eternum's AI police - who will demand that the offender cease their activities and log out, their actions pending review. Anyone who fails to comply gets "excommunicated," which is basically automatic account deletion (right after they kill off your avatar) and complete ban from ever entering Eternum.

While the player can play the game completely as a sandbox, there IS a main, "Ready Player One"-esque quest thrusted upon every one of them at the very first login: scattered throughout Eternum are items called the "Ten Gems of Doom," and whoever ends up collecting all of these end up becoming the "Ruler of Eternum" and CEO of Ulysses, the company responsible for developing and publishing the game. This is essentially the secondary main story of the VN (the primary being something that the main character chooses to do following a certain reveal at the end of 0.1).

Anyway, that covers most of the surface-level stuff about the VRMMO. I'd reveal more but I believe those basically count as spoilers that're best uncovered on your own. Hope that helps.
Wow, thanks a lot for giving such an in-depth answer, this was really helpful. Ever since I became a developer myself, I pretty much stopped playing other people's games, but this might actually be the first one I do play in about 4 years because of hiw interesting it sounds.

4.80 star(s) 913 Votes