CinderFall201

Feb 5, 2018
Wow, thanks a lot for giving such an in-depth answer, this was really helpful. Ever since I became a developer myself, I pretty much stopped playing other people's games, but this might actually be the first one I do play in about 4 years because of hiw interesting it sounds.
This game is SO amazing you won't be disappointed! Story, characters, graphics are all top notch. Hope you have fun playing the game!

Reactions: Conviction07

SteveyP

Jul 1, 2017
Wow, thanks a lot for giving such an in-depth answer, this was really helpful. Ever since I became a developer myself, I pretty much stopped playing other people's games, but this might actually be the first one I do play in about 4 years because of hiw interesting it sounds.
Glad to see you on the thread. Big fan of your work. I'm sure you'll enjoy this one.

Reactions: Conviction07

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
All "faceplam" jokes aside, obviously Orion is not even the 1st in command, so how could Nova be his 2nd in command?

The command will obviously go to Nancy as it has been in the beginning of 0.6.

And Nova is no commander, Nova is a sniper. She is the one that you would send to take out high value targets from afar or to support Orion from a distance while he goes into melee combat, not to command anything.
... She fuggin sniped with a rocket launcher...

WHO DOES THAT?!

>_<

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
You really don't want to cut off yourself from ideas. All are derivative from one another. Even then, some devs have head nods to others in the adult gaming niche.

What I'd suggest is try to tap a new well of knowledge that may take you down a different path. Some suggestions I'd go with are:

Hideo Kojima

Reason: Guy has a lot of cyberpunk and dystopian memes that are relevant. Metal Gear series has a huge resurgence of popularity which might give you ideas. His book "The Creative Gene" is great for seeing how he got HIS ideas from various books he read constantly.

Mercedes Lackey

Reason: Fantasy relationships don't get a lot of praise and she wrote some of the best relationship stuff out there right along with a balanced magic I haven't seen since DnD 2.0. I really liked her nodes and stable magic than the wild rules we have now, but that's just me.

Joseph Campbell

Reason: Look, the man that helped formulate the Monomyth Theory has some great books and if you need structure and a base, he's great for that. Hero with a Thousand Faces can help you get into epic writing which helps you work on structuring your game in Acts with a beginning, middle, and end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is mainly focused on writing and you can possibly gain inspiration from anywhere. But working on inverses, structure, and what you can do differently with certain things can help make you stand out.

Good luck whatever you decide to do! The first step to being a good dev is always staying inspired!

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
Considering that indie AVN development is usually a 1-person endeavour, I find this particular suggestion hilarious, ngl...

View attachment 3084895

I mean, I can't help that I find his book fascinating while I'm reading it and how he helped get inspired for characters... And personally, I think that people understanding how their characters tick and what makes them unique and relatable is what helps raise the standards of devs.

I still don't know what Cari was smoking to make Eternum and OIAL though.... Boy was high.

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
I still don't know what Cari was smoking to make Eternum and OIAL though.... Boy was high.
He made OIAL during a period where everyone was stuck at home and began to go crazy in the process. And speaking from observation, isolation and boredom can be a potent combination to get the creative juices going (though I suppose not everyone is able to tap or take advantage of that fact). It's also why you hear stories of producers or publishers locking up writers in a hotel room or somewhere isolated in the hopes that they get their work done (to mixed degrees of success, IMO).

Conviction07

Game Developer
May 6, 2017
Only played the first 30 minutes or so, but so far I'm enjoying it. Aesthetics aside, the writing definitely gives off a whimsical, anime vibe that I like. Curious to see how much darker the story gets though, if at all. Probably safe to assume it does. But the real standout at this early stage is the sound design, which is surprising considering it's something I've never held too much stock in when it comes to these games. That dream with the kid where "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" plays, is super chilling and significantly elevates the scene, so it for sure makes me reconsider its importance.

My only criticism, and I'm not sure how many other developers do it, but I kinda hate reading the inner monologue's of characters that aren't the main protagonist. Knowing what was going through Nancy's mind when she saw him naked, slightly dilutes the excitement of the mounting sexual tension in my opinion. But others might see it differently.

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
My only criticism, and I'm not sure how many other developers do it, but I kinda hate reading the inner monologue's of characters that aren't the main protagonist. Knowing what was going through Nancy's mind when she saw him naked, slightly dilutes the excitement of the mounting sexual tension in my opinion. But others might see it differently.
It's a stylistic choice that Cari has done for two games and helps endear us to each of the characters. For expression, there's certainly other games that do other things. Pale Carnations, for example, is mostly the internal monologues of Edwin (MC) and helping us see the world through his lens while other games give us a bit of detachment with only expressing the world through their lens.

As I'm a BIG fan of noir type protagonists (think Dick Tracy or Casablanca), I personally think it helps a lot in letting us know their motivations and while it's a thing at the beginning, you might find that it may not work out for you. Used poorly or too much, it stands out. Used wisely, it helps you keep track of how a character thinks. Just tools in your arsenal. ;)

• Red Heart
Reactions: lkjhgfdfghjkl

An known

Sep 16, 2021
There are going to be two teams on the battlefield:
  • Team Orion
  • Team Thanatos
Team Orion:

Orion: The leader of his team.
Nova: The right hand of Orion, and 2nd in command.
Alex: The left hand of Orion, and 3rd in command.
The Other Characters: The real players in Eternum, such as Jerry, Raul, Noah, etc.
The Army of The Syndicate: The members of The Syndicate organization.
The Army of The Roman Empire: The United Armies of Eastern Roman Empire, Western Roman Empire, and Macedonia.
Nancy: The leader of The Roman Armies and the strategist of the team.

The other characters like Jerry, Raul, Noah, Eva, Maat, Kitty, Megan, Balbus Bundledore, and the Professors of Warthogs are going to fight the NPCs. I think it is safe to say that we may consider the excommunicated players by the praetorians as the NPCs, too
Ummmm....

WHERE THE FUCK IS CHANG???

How can you forgot him?

Look what you've done to him:
IMG_20231114_170639.jpg

GazTen

Jan 10, 2018
A quick question: that Alex Axel guy always be the typical bad-guy-bitch in this story or will he fuck off soon? I'm not a big fan of that school drama, so i'm already annoyed as hell

Last edited:

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017
A quick question: that Alex guy always be the typical bad-guy-bitch in this story or will he fuck off soon? I'm not a big fan of that school drama, so i'm already annoyed as hell
Pretty much things change and you have less contact with him for story reasons. You'll have more time with the girls and less time with him as the story moves on.

Reactions: GazTen

Satou Pendragon

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
A quick question: that Alex guy always be the typical bad-guy-bitch in this story or will he fuck off soon? I'm not a big fan of that school drama, so i'm already annoyed as hell
I don't know the answer to your question, I just wanted to point out that Axel is the guy you mean I think and Alex is his Sister with the Silver Hair and Tattoos.

Aigrene

Aug 7, 2017
Alright what are the bets here which girls will have the first threesome with MC? Don't know about first but I could see Nova and Penelope?

4.80 star(s) 913 Votes