bolenart

Jun 17, 2017
A mother of six can have the opinion "having three kids is probably what I recommend for the next generation" without her having to choose which three kids she'd kill. You can argue that 7.5 LI's are too many without saying which should be gotten rid of. Or you could say you'd get rid of all existing LI's and start with a new cast, which is what happened between OIALT and Eternum and it will likely happen between Eternum and the next project.

I'd say that maybe five LI's is optimal, but demanding to know who I would remove is a low-IQ response. Removing someone beloved from existence is very different from not creating someone in the first place.

Yvier the Duck

Dec 25, 2020
Motherfuckers talking about LIs like they are a pokémon team in a battle.

The seven Goddesses and Calypso are the perfect number because they are the perfect girls, stop dropping them you bunch of blasphemous.

Love_them_all.png

Jokes aside, I think Caribdis knows that 7 is a high number, but manageable, that's why Calypso is not an official LI, because this means more time for Calypso and with the others 7 will be really difficult to do, but until now he makes an amazing job to make every girl shine and had her moment, even Annie.
(yeah, the useless meme is even in the game, but you can see in this post how many images of her we have like reactions, because she being useless is, jokes aside, part of her shining moments. And being honest, she is not useless, she presents Eternum to Orion, she is the key piece to steal the gem of doom, etc.)

Every one of the girls are important for the story and for Orion, and maybe in others VN the girls are disposable, but not here. That's why the harem works in Eternum, first because they are not just girls, they are THE girls, and even if you drops the romantic path with one of them they doesn't disappear from the story, because they are needed and important, and second because Orion is not a passive MC, is an active one, he really loves the girls, makes time to them and tries to be her friend first, and her lover later. He listen to Calypso talking about her past because he's interested in her as person, not as a sexy elf booty mommy. He holds hands with Luna because he is worried about her, and even with Nova, being she the most crazy girl in the game takes time to understand her and tell her "yo bitch, stop spying me, just talk to me you redhead gremlin" because he cares about her, first and foremost. So making the LIs in the game fewer will be worse for the game, just like making a car with 3 wheels or a plane with 1 wing, could work but is not the ideal. 7+1 girls is perfect.

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
I'm of the opinion that he shouldn't try to top it
I think that would be the most important thing. These aren't Avengers Movies and actually scaling them down somewhat could work better than going into the other direction and have like 10 LIs. :HideThePain:

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
For Eternum, I view all of them as necessary for the story. I disagree that merging Annie and Nova (or any combination) makes sense: they are very different and both have a place in the story. Adding their characters together would inevitably lose some of their individual charm. And we must remember that each brings their own skills to the quest. If any of you have played roleplaying games, you know that it's generally not possible, if only because of the time it would require, to play a character who has multiple cross-discipline skills. If you want to be a great mage, you don't have time to also expand your skill with weapons. The same is true of Eternum.
Merging Annie and Nova would've basically made her into Shionne from Tales of Arise combat-wise (Gun-wielding Caster). Not to mention their personalities complement one another that it's possible to merge them with a just a few personality tweaks.

Nan, Dalia, and Penny already have similar facial features hence why I mentioned they could be merged along with their skillset. The only thing you'd lose is the MILF status because she'll be more like an Older Sister of sorts to Orion if you do the merge.

Edit: Also if you merge the three of them she basically becomes a Paladin (healer, charismatic army leader, martial fighter...yeah that sounds like a Paladin)

Also, funny you mention RPGs to justify having a larger harem because the optimal party in a DnD campaign is usually 4 to 5. 8 is usually JRPG tier and even then you have problems trying to juggle them from a narrative perspective, with some instances showing some not being developed like the others (i.e. Amarant, Quina, and Post-Cleyra Freya from FF9).

Look, the reason why I even made the comment about merging (or even trimming) isn't just about the "benching" issue. For all my criticisms about it, OIAL actually did one thing better compared to Eternum: and that was Lauren and Judie's constant presence and development throughout ALL of the entire story. Those 2 never got benched, and they always were with the MC in just about every step of his quest to take down the SoA. And that's something (likely the ONLY thing) that I miss from that game, and is why I was advocating for a smaller harem so that ALL of them get enough screentime per update.

Again, this is simply just my opinion on the matter. You can disagree, it's fine. And at the end of the day, this is Cari's work and this is how he wanted the story to be, so I respect him enough to not be anal about it and I sure as hell don't want him to course correct or anything. All I suggested was that maybe in the next game he would consider having a smaller cast so that all of them gets enough screen time and development per update, just like how Lauren and Judie did back in the early days.

Last edited:

Takkatakka

Engaged Member
Nov 11, 2022
Those 2 never got benched, and they always were with the MC in just about every step of his quest to take down the SoA. And that's something (likely the ONLY thing) that I miss from that game, and is why I was advocating for a smaller harem so that ALL of them get enough screentime per update.
Because they were the clear main LIs in OiaL and others did get benched...a lot...I mean that teacher pretty much did absolutely nothing for the actual story, if I remember correctly.

In Eternum there are no real "main LIs" anymore and I think switching between the girls for every patch works pretty well so far. He clearly has to break the order up at some time, to not make it too formulaic but outside of that it works well for what Eternum wants to do.

It is pretty clear though, that 7.5 is about the maximum he should do and maybe going with 5 or 6 in a potential 3rd game (if it even will be a harem game again), could be beneficial for the story overall. That way you might not do a scene with every girl in every update, but it should be few enough to give them all some space and screentime in every update.

Last edited:

Ungawa

Apr 16, 2017

Personally, I think the story has too many as well and that the rotation of the girls is off.

Dorf is only suggesting that merging the personalities of the characters allows for them to be a unique NEW presence which makes sense that their new personalities would be something to make them interesting.

A Dommy Mommy Pixie Instamodel makes sense in that aspect. But in what we have now, the girls are unique but if you haven't noticed, Nova takes a GOOD chunk of screen time and either Penny or Dalia suffers and gets shoved a bit to the side in an update not focused on them. Right now, it's Luna.

And remember that this is more a VN than sandbox title. It's going for an overall story whereas other games are going for open sandbox. Sometimes, the author doesn't have an idea of how to put the plot together while they put the PLOT together if ya know what I mean.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
And on a more serious note I agree on the fact that maybe to roster is a little big.
Especially because I agree with Dorf suggestion that Nova and Annie would have worked fantastically as a single character, especially in the light of the fact that we also have a split between the LI's considering Calypso situation that by itself would require a lot of time and screen space to be developed as extensively as required, so a shrink in the other girls would have been better, of course imho.
That being said Cari is Cari, so it's not his first rodeo and for now everything looks fine, we can only wait and see how the game will go further.
I'm certainly not pretending any change from him, since I'm a fan and enjoy almost everything he showed so far as a dev. :)

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
Naaah, Caribdis would rather create a Micaela - Chang scene instead of a Gertrude scene:KEK:
At this point I'm definitely going on Pitrik side, man.... That would would be, yeah no, no thanks...
I don't have enough good bleach available for that....
I mean worse would only be a Regina/Axel scene...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

An known

Sep 16, 2021
At this point I'm definitely going on Pitrik side, man.... That would would be, yeah no, no thanks...
I don't have enough good bleach available for that....
I mean worse would only be a Regina/Axel scene...
Micaela - Chang won't happen because it's gore.
No one wants to watch a live coverage of Death by snu-snu.:KEK:
Especially because I agree with Dorf suggestion that Nova and Annie would have worked fantastically as a single character
So you are saying we can remove Nova and have Annie as Nova's character?
Seems like a good idea to me. :Kappa:

Last edited:

quorkboy

Sep 26, 2020
Also, funny you mention RPGs to justify having a larger harem because the optimal party in a DnD campaign is usually 4 to 5. 8 is usually JRPG tier and even then you have problems trying to juggle them from a narrative perspective, with some instances showing some not being developed like the others (i.e. Amarant, Quina, and Post-Cleyra Freya from FF9).
I think you have misunderstood me here. That wasn't to justify a larger harem, but to point out that it's uncommon for characters to develop both weapon and magic combat skills (or thieving and healing, or...). Not unheard of, sure. But characters that do this will need to put in twice as much time as someone focusing on one of those skills. They advance slower than someone focusing on a more limited set of skills. That was my justification for a larger group to take on the mystery of Eternum, which is entirely separate from whether they are all also LIs (i.e. being an LI is not a necessary condition for being part of the quest group).

I agree that juggling a larger collection of characters is more difficult, 4 to 5 is easier. But I think Eternum does it very well. I don't get the feeling that any of the main cast is less developed than the others, except perhaps where they were introduced later (Calypso).

I think part of the disconnect here is you're looking at the story on a per update basis. I'm not. I came in late (started playing at 0.5). I'm not even sure where the boundaries between updates were before the end of 0.5. So to me, no one is benched because they're all still part of the story and all contributing to figuring out what's going on. None of them are ever sitting on the sidelines. Is the whole group together in every scene? No. That doesn't mean the characters not in the current scene are benched.

And I think you'd lose a lot by merging characters. Nova's cuteness is very different to Annie's. Annie's adorable status wouldn't be the same if she had Nova's off the wall wacko behaviour.

We can't know what Eternum would have been like if there had been fewer characters from the start. It might have been better. Or not.

I wonder if you will see it differently when the story is done and you're not having to wait for two updates to spend time with all the girls because there's only so much space in one?

Look, the reason why I even made the comment about merging (or even trimming) isn't just about the "benching" issue. For all my criticisms about it, OIAL actually did one thing better compared to Eternum: and that was Lauren and Judie's constant presence and development throughout ALL of the entire story. Those 2 never got benched, and they always were with the MC in just about every step of his quest to take down the SoA. And that's something (likely the ONLY thing) that I miss from that game, and is why I was advocating for a smaller harem so that ALL of them get enough screentime per update.

Again, this is simply just my opinion on the matter. You can disagree, it's fine. And at the end of the day, this is Cari's work and this is how he wanted the story to be, so I respect him enough to not be anal about it and I sure as hell don't want him to course correct or anything. All I suggested was that maybe in the next game he would consider having a smaller cast so that all of them gets enough screen time and development per update, just like how Lauren and Judie did back in the early days.
I still have to finish OIAL. I was distracted by other AVNs. While I love Judie and Lauren, the rest of the characters haven't grabbed me the way the Eternum ones have, and nor has the story. But I played enough that I think I understand what you mean about Judy and Lauren being a near-constant presence. I do like that. But I also like the more sprawling group we have here, even if I'd trim it a little (but definitely keep Luna, Nova, Annie, and Alex; and Dalia and Penny because sisters).

Like you, I'm not suggesting anything change. It's way too late for that and I'd miss the current group. As for what will come after Eternum is completed, we'll see when we get there. Caribdis may agree with you. He may choose a main cast sized somewhere between OIAL and Eternum. I trust that whatever he does we'll enjoy it. We may like and dislike different aspects, but hey, that's life, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

4.80 star(s) 959 Votes