Machete

Engaged Member
Apr 7, 2020
I just did another run and I have some thoughts.

In no real particular order:

1. I would vouch for coincidence and Caridbis personal taste on anime ladies. About elves, this game, and Calypso in particular, it's rather inspired by The Witcher novels. In that world building it's kinda distinctive of elves to have unusual hair colors. The reason why Ciry has cinder hair is because of her tiny bit of elvish ancestry.

2. I guess that makes sense otherwise the game would turn in a full time virtual brothel.

3. Could be anything. I guess we'll find out.

4. I think if Dalia would have the sword she would have bragged with a few selected friends. Not many because the weapons can be stolen and to openly have one would draw a big target on your back.

6. Could be. Solid theory. Also it could be that the weapons are sort of cages for beings that already existed outside the game. It's heavely hinted so far that there is something supernatural in act around Eternum. We can't even be sure that Idriel and the Praetorian are actually NPC and not some kind of supernatural being.

7. I wouldn't go to this extent. I think the first two weapons where supposed to be morphic cut melee and gun. Calypso a magic trinket? Linking to point 6, she might been meant to turn into a mage staff or something.

8. It's a fantasy trope that sometime the foretold hero manifests multiple times and fail, then he manifest "the good time" and succede. Maybe there where 'choosens' that preceeded Orion.

9. There are a lot of questions to ask, first of which is "what actually is Eternum". But you know. In novels the hero never do the most obvious thing that would resolve the whole plot in 5 minuts, like to use the time-turner to prevent Tom Riddle to become Voldermort in the first place. And there is no limit to the time-turner that would prevent it. If you can't go to much far behind with one you can also go back in time, pick up a fresh time-tuner and go back again over and over.

10. Why not leaving Eternum? He might be one of those people with not much to do in his days that spend a lot of time on games. I know a few and i wouldn't trade with them my inhability to play big games due to my being as busy as hell.

11. It might also be a poor translation to some asian language by an online service in the first place. I had my share of problems with it back when i used to work in tourism.

12. Actually a very cool saying for an imperialistic society. I remember a scene from an historic drama with this roman legatus who stated something like "Roman territory is wherever I stand".

13. Whoopsie. It happens.

14. Very likerly, yes.

15. Now we are running wild, but it could even be. I don't think so though. In last game the plot twist was that MC was closely related to the final villain. I don't think Caridbis could or should rely on the very same twist.

17. He sure is more then just some guy. Which is a kind of plot i don't like much in general. The "choosen of destiny" is not an actual hero. If someone is destined to win from the beginning, because someone or something put him on the trail to victory or because the profecy said so etc. there are no stake nor agency in the story. A hero is someone who chose to fight and have to struggle to reach his goals. The choosen destined to win is more of a bully who beat a villain who had no chance to win in the first place. I'd recommend to anyone who plan to write a story to consider building a hero who actually could lose and wasn't just set on action passively.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: JoeTheMC84

feier

Donor
Aug 27, 2021
I just did another run and I have some thoughts.

In no real particular order:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I feel like there are so many possible routes the story can go. I like brainstorming but at the same time I worry that if I do too much then when the real story unfolds, I might be disappointed if it doesn't happen the way I thought it might. One of the reasons I'm glad I'm still unsure about a lot of things in the story is that it keeps me from locking in my ideas too firmly and risking that disappointment. I believe in Caribdis though, the story and characters are great so far so whatever happens I don't think it could disappoint.
End credits from each version:

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
The Eternum's Founder is the MC of the future who has traveled back in the time.
Then they need to make his face look like Michael J. Fox. Or I guess it could be a Doctor Who situation where the embodyments change. Maybe he could grow a second head, make it a Zaphod Beeblebrox kind of thing where he's his own grandfather.

• Haha
Reactions: Dylan741

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
MC Connor
But he can't be Connor! He doesn't run a podcast with 2 other guys and he doesn't have a mouse!
...I apologize for that joke.

New thought!

Then again, maybe I'm just crazy.

Reactions: pedrobece7

RukuYa

Nov 11, 2018
...the legend of Ulysses...
There are so many similarities to mythos and the story of Ulysses (aka Odysseus) that it's hard to ignore. Orion is a mythological hunter, also mentioned in the Odyssey. Penelope is the wife of Odysseus. Calypso wanted to keep Odysseus in Ogygia and make him her husband with the promise of immortality. This doesn't seem like coincidence.

RandomGuy99

Nov 11, 2018
Since everybody is theory crafting. I think MC have demon blood and his power will occur in the real world too.
I think Eternum is a blend of different dimension and a game ie meaning some of the character/npc is actually alive and have souls.

My earlier theory that Calypso was a godess was debunked since she is revealed as an elf

• Thinking Face
Reactions: HogRocket

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Since everybody is theory crafting. I think MC have demon blood and his power will occur in the real world too.
I think Eternum is a blend of different dimension and a game ie meaning some of the character/npc is actually alive and have souls.

My earlier theory that Calypso was a godess was debunked since she is revealed as an elf
Elf-Goddess?
Goddess-Elf?
Elf Princess-Goddess?

Dorfnutter

Engaged Member
May 21, 2017
There are so many similarities to mythos and the story of Ulysses (aka Odysseus) that it's hard to ignore. Orion is a mythological hunter, also mentioned in the Odyssey. Penelope is the wife of Odysseus. Calypso wanted to keep Odysseus in Ogygia and make him her husband with the promise of immortality. This doesn't seem like coincidence.
It wouldn't surprise me if it's revealed later on that "Idriel" herself is using a fake name and has a name that's based from the Odyssey/Greek myths. Circe maybe?

4.80 star(s) 913 Votes