3.10 star(s) 16 Votes

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
Is it just me or has anybody else had nothing but trouble with the side avatars for the text box?
Every time the speaker changes, there are two or three avatars that cycle through before it settles on the correct one. It's pretty distracting.

It's been going on for quite some time now and I'd figured somebody else would have reported it by now.

Anybody got a quick and dirty on how to turn off the side images?
sorry but i haven't had any problems with Doc's games :)

Abere Lucifer Productions

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
Is it just me or has anybody else had nothing but trouble with the side avatars for the text box?
Every time the speaker changes, there are two or three avatars that cycle through before it settles on the correct one. It's pretty distracting.

It's been going on for quite some time now and I'd figured somebody else would have reported it by now.

I'm really not sure why it does that. it has something to do with Renpy. My coder Shaddy is looking into it. We're trying to find a fix.

Reactions: TheSidewinder

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019
i have windows 10 ... haven't put anything like renply on this computer .. it just plays everything and every game on this site :)

DeUglyOne

Bite Me!
Donor
Sep 1, 2017
I'm really not sure why it does that. it has something to do with Renpy. My coder Shaddy is looking into it. We're trying to find a fix.
It may have something to do with an old save. I looked at one of the save files and tried changing the side image values then changing them back. I gave up and deleted all save files, persistent and %appdata%, and started from scratch.

I'm doing a complete playthrough now and haven't had any issues with the side images yet.

I'm beginning to think it had something to do with an error in the persistent save file.

Bad Buster

Oct 27, 2022

It may have something to do with an old save. I looked at one of the save files and tried changing the side image values then changing them back. I gave up and deleted all save files, persistent and %appdata%, and started from scratch.

I'm doing a complete playthrough now and haven't had any issues with the side images yet.

I'm beginning to think it had something to do with an error in the persistent save file.
I just saw something that stood out for me when I looked at your code...

Normally, for , you name the files "side <character> <attribute>.jpg, png, webp" etc... Yours, however, are named backwards, and with an underscore. So "eva_side.webp" as an example. That might be confusing Ren'py, as it tries to make a pool of side images to choose from, based on your character declarations.

Another possibility is that maybe you changed the file types between an earlier version and this one? I don't have your older versions still on my computer so i can't check, but if your first versions were png's, for example, and you changed them to webp's, which are what this version has, then the save files could be causing issues. You'd have to delete the persistent data like DeUglyOne did above.

Another issue I see is that your side images are a mixture of lower case and upper case first letters, while all your character image declarations are uppercase.

Off topic.. I laughed when I went to the trouble of downloading and putting UnRen in your game folder, only to realize you didn't archive it, haha :ROFLMAO:

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
I just saw something that stood out for me when I looked at your code...

Normally, for , you name the files "side <character> <attribute>.jpg, png, webp" etc... Yours, however, are named backwards, and with an underscore. So "eva_side.webp" as an example. That might be confusing Ren'py, as it tries to make a pool of side images to choose from, based on your character declarations.

Another possibility is that maybe you changed the file types between an earlier version and this one? I don't have your older versions still on my computer so i can't check, but if your first versions were png's, for example, and you changed them to webp's, which are what this version has, then the save files could be causing issues. You'd have to delete the persistent data like DeUglyOne did above.

Another issue I see is that your side images are a mixture of lower case and upper case first letters, while all your character image declarations are uppercase.

Off topic.. I laughed when I went to the trouble of downloading and putting UnRen in your game folder, only to realize you didn't archive it, haha :ROFLMAO:
It's probably the conversion. They do start out as pngs and are converted to webps. I'll delete the persistent data file and see if that works.

J'Daremo

Jul 2, 2020
I regularly get the side image issue as well. not when starting a new game, but after resuming from a previous save. It happens in this one and in 23 sisters as well.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Boobs Lover

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
I regularly get the side image issue as well. not when starting a new game, but after resuming from a previous save. It happens in this one and in 23 sisters as well.
Shaddy may have figured out the problem. We're gonna try something in the next update to 23S. I find it annoying too. I'll keep y'all updated.

J.R.

Jan 2, 2020
For me also in this game and in a second one, not sure if 23 Sisters or the "cenorded". Did also the the "trick" deleting all old saves and persistent files, also in the second save location. At first it seems to work well. But after some time, I think when stopping the game and start it new + loading a save (the new ones), the issue is unfortunately back again.

A work around is then to save, go into the main menu, start a new game and skip a bit into the game. Then go back to the main menu and load the recent save. After that the issue is gone. Weird.

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
It's probably the conversion. They do start out as pngs and are converted to webps. I'll delete the persistent data file and see if that works.
A lot of time just deleting the persistent file does the trick. It rebuilds itself on every load I think

pgm_01

Jan 11, 2018

Try to find a spot in the game where there is dialog but no side image and create a save point. Close out of the game and start from that save point and the side image issue should be gone. Some of the Blackheart Games have a similar issue, and the fix works on those games.

Tiur

Nov 13, 2021
"A man trying to raise his adopted daughter who just happens to be a clone,
and they live with a demon and her little half-sister."

See? See what happens when you complain about "copy-paste identical incest stories" in games? This is what happens XD
That did make me laugh, but I don't think anyone has ever complained about Doc's stories being 'copy-paste identical'. With anything. Anywhere.

3.10 star(s) 16 Votes