Ren'Py Family, Friends and Strangers [v2024.01] [JohnAndRich]

3.90 star(s) 66 Votes

Tumai

Sep 1, 2019
100% agree. Cops (or anyone) blackmailing Becky without Parkers (initial) knowledge would be great.
Completely agree. Based on how this update ended, I am slightly worried that Parker will be the one to get it himself by "finding something that she'll exchange for." Much prefer it be anyone but Parker.

As Japanese devs know very well, the more "pure and innocent" the target is, the more valuable the downfall...and Becky is pretty much the only one in the game in that category.

truien

Mar 17, 2020
Two factors contribute to the size. The first is that this game is done at 1280x720. A lot of games are done at 1920x1080. That's a factor of about 2.25 right there. In addition, I post-process the images out of Daz Studio to reduce their size. Essentially, I've been making a very conscious effort to keep the overall game size within reason, so that the various people who do compressed versions of games don't have to sweat this one. :)

But, for the record, right now the game has over 2,000 images, and 49 webm animations.
Thanks for the explanation Rich. I’ll definitely check it out. Best of luck with this title.

Reactions: x0run

L.Lumpy

Jan 3, 2019
So you're trying to say that the next update for a VN with no choices is going to take 6 months at a minimum?
About. At least 4 months !!
Rich's releases have been spread out farther than I, personally, would have hoped.

Chapter 8: 3 months
Chapter 7: 4.5 months
Chapter 6: 2 months
Chapter 5: 4 months

However:
  1. He's working on this alone. It's not like he's got an author, graphics guy and coder who can work independently and in an overlapped fashion. So first he has to write it, then do all the graphics, then code it.
  2. From private conversations, I know he has a lot he's dealing with in his personal life. (Working on this is actually somewhat of an "escape" for him, but there are times when other responsibilities take him away from it.)
  3. He prefers to release "full chapters," as opposed to "however far he's gotten by the end of the month." If he did the latter, you'd probably be complaining about "wait - you broke it off right in the middle of that conversation?"
How many games (ok, I know, it's not a "game") die out after one or two releases? He's been going at this steadily for more than two years. When you've kept a game alive for more than two years, with meaningful releases at a higher rate of speed, I'll listen to you.

Plus, of course, those of you who are not supporting him on Patreon or SubscribeStar have no right whatsoever to bitch. Be glad you get your pirate copies when you get them, and that Rich is willing to interact with us here despite the posted copies being pirated.

Panos24

Oct 1, 2020
I apologize for before. I agree with everything you say. However, respect for the person who works for this perfect project

Reactions: Elkfood
3.90 star(s) 66 Votes