After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
Ok, I'm somewhat confused. I've played the original version of this game quite some time ago, and don't recall the writing to be all that bad. Yet I've just started playing the reboot and everything reads like a poorly translated hentai... Things like "Please accept my hug! It's my way of demonstrating my manner to you", and that's just one of many examples in just the first 10 minutes of playing.

Obviously bad writing isn't all that uncommon in these games, I've played more headache-inducing games than I'd like to count. The reason I'm confused is that I've seen a few of the developer's comments here, and they seem to be more than capable of writing in proper english, so what the hell is going on?

I don't know if it's going to get better later on, but if this is supposed to be the "refined" version of the game, I'm not that impressed. The renders look a lot better, yes, but the writing makes me think someone is trying to play some kind of weird prank on us. I would've understood if the developer's english was terrible, but looking at their comments that's clearly not the case..

Edit: It does actually seem to be getting better. There's still plenty of odd phrases here and there, but by now it's been a while since I've seen anything as bad as the example I mentioned above.
I'm hoping things improve. I purchased Quillbot to check my grammar as my funding increased over time. Now, with the funding I've received, I'm going to ask for the additional help of a good friend for human proofreading. And since I finally got an RTX 3090 used on the market this month, the renders should be much faster and better. Thank you for your understanding.
IMG20230208142827.jpg

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
used on what? cryptomining?
Probably.
But, according to the serial number on the warranty website, it was purchased 10 months ago.
That could be why it appeared brand new to me. It came with original box, bracket, bags, etc.
I don't see a single scratch.
I suppose no fans had been changed.
If so, they've most likely already replaced the thermal paste as well. Because when I overclocked it to the maximum, it capped at 75-80 for intensive uses.
I used to work remotely with 3090 on the Vietnam server for a while.
This card produced the same results for me when I tested it.
Hopefully, it will provide me with a pleasant year.
Then I'll resell it on Marketplace or somewhere else.
In Thailand, the used market is both popular and affordable.

exazubi

Dec 12, 2020
I'm hoping things improve. I purchased Quillbot to check my grammar as my funding increased over time. Now, with the funding I've received, I'm going to ask for the additional help of a good friend for human proofreading. And since I finally got an RTX 3090 used on the market this month, the renders should be much faster and better. Thank you for your understanding.
View attachment 2410946
Don't worry about the translations. Some people exaggerate. Yes, you can tell that you are not a native english speaker. I'm not either, by the way. Every now and then a vocabulary is wrong or the sentence structure is a bit strange. But your english is good enough to understand everything.

I know about other games that really have a pseudo-english, which i don't even understand even 10% with a translator tool, I also threw in the towel at some point. And you're really far away from that (y)

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
In Thailand, the used market is both popular and affordable.
well on that continent had lots of cryptominers who had to put their equipments on sale after end of mining.

some mag tested brand new card and crypto card and latter was significantly slower.

After Choices

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Mar 21, 2021
well on that continent had lots of cryptominers who had to put their equipments on sale after end of mining.

some mag tested brand new card and crypto card and latter was significantly slower.
Probably. I bought 1080ti from them about six months ago. It only costs about 150USD. I ran it almost everyday with being over clocked to +560MHZ. It never slowed till now. It might be getting slower after a year may be. But for DAZ studio, VRAM is everything. That is why most people prefer 3060 12GB over everything below 3090 if they are on budget. No matter how fast the card is, if it doesn't have enough vram, DAZ only render black screen. Well, let's see how it goes. After all, it's just a used product. No one would sell it if it is so precious to them. Growing up in poor countries, I am so used to collectng used products and items from dead people. LOL :p

Balbaar

Oct 14, 2017
Well things have already improved, that's why I edited my previous comment. The first 2 or 3 chapters could definitely do with some cleaning up should you ever find the time for it, but after those chapters the English isn't all that bad aside from a few odd phrases here and there.

Some proof reading is always a good idea but I can see how much you've improved over time, so all I can say is keep it up. I'm curious to see what you'll be able to do with the new graphics card, since your renders already looked great even without the 3090.(y)

• Love
Reactions: Alley_Cat

Balbaar

Oct 14, 2017
As I've said before, I actually like that Yoon doesn't speak entirely fluently and might use an odd phrasing or two. If she spoke Oxford English, she'd lose a lot of her charm.
I do agree with you there, having a bit of an accent leak through in her dialogue really isn't a bad thing, as long as it's not too extreme of course. It shouldn't be happening to characters that are supposed to be native English speakers though, at least not in the same manner.

But like I said, besides the first few chapters there haven't really been a lot of moments where it was so bad that it bothered me.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
Yes, you can tell that you are not a native english speaker. I'm not either, by the way. Every now and then a vocabulary is wrong or the sentence structure is a bit strange. But your english is good enough to understand everything.
Yes, exactly. A proper English-native editor could clean up some stuff, but Yoon shouldn't speak perfect English, and absolutely everything you write is fully understandable. Not just the story beats, but the emotions. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything unless you want to do a top-to-bottom re-edit once it's done.

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
Yes, exactly. A proper English-native editor could clean up some stuff, but Yoon shouldn't speak perfect English, and absolutely everything you write is fully understandable. Not just the story beats, but the emotions. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything unless you want to do a top-to-bottom re-edit once it's done.
It also kinda depends on where Free Pass is meant to be set. So while I'm a native-English speaker, I'm Strayan, so there are going to be mannerisms that are going to be strange to what I would assume to be an American audience.

With Americans being yodless heathens and all ;)

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
As if anyone other than Kiwis understand what the fuck you're saying. And even then, only if you replace all your broad vowels with "i."
I've only been to Australia twice, but I've been to NZ four times (for very, very long stretches). I cin do the Kiwi accint. I can do Aussie for about three seconds, after which I'm done.

• Haha
Reactions: damnedfrog

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
As if anyone other than Kiwis understand what the fuck you're saying. And even then, only if you replace all your broad vowels with "i."
"Ska non" is my favourite mannerism that no longer is comprehensible as English

"Where is't the bin" is my favourite expression that has no meaning to what it sounds, but that's an actual English expression from England.

Segnbora

Aug 30, 2017
"Ska non" is my favourite mannerism that no longer is comprehensible as English
God, I can't even imagine. Speaking French really doesn't help here, either, because I can't help but shade the latter word. Skin on?

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
God, I can't even imagine. Speaking French really doesn't help here, either, because I can't help but shade the latter word. Skin on?
It's short for "What's going on?"

EDIT:

Also good:

Last edited:
  • Hey there
Reactions: Segnbora
3.60 star(s) 78 Votes