HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
why are there suddenly like ten 5 star reviews for this game in a span of a few hours?.... suspicious...
Screenshot_147.png

Cleared it with the mods, we were getting like one review every few months on average.

(Also, there's 4 star reviews on there too, it's not all 5's;I asked people to be honest, not to just rate it positively, and you can see multiple reviews critique things about the game.)

The discord is a public one, so you can join it yourself at

kaizoman

Jan 15, 2019
this game got like 20 new reviews TODAY, did i miss something?

nvm. saw the post. pretty funny of the devs to do that. and yes its true, i found their game thanks to this page and ive been following it for a while (on here) with the thought to support them if the game gets to like version 0.6.

yercat

Dec 6, 2017
What the fuck just happened that i got like 30 notifications of this game just being rated.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
and yes its true, i found their game thanks to this page and ive been following it for a while (on here) with the thought to support them if the game gets to like version 0.6.
Oh, we're not going to get to version v0.6; the game will be complete long before that.

Each v0.01 represents a month of work, although adding a v1/v2/v3 etc. represents another month of work for that same level, it doesn't represent completion percentage. We're roughly 90% complete at this point, just the final stretch is a lot of grinding work etc.

Glad to see you've been enjoying it :D

What the fuck just happened that i got like 30 notifications of this game just being rated.
https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-48-1-hentaiwriter.1550/post-4668455

yercat

Dec 6, 2017
Oh, we're not going to get to version v0.6; the game will be complete long before that.

Each v0.01 represents a month of work, although adding a v1/v2/v3 etc. represents another month of work for that same level, it doesn't represent completion percentage. We're roughly 90% complete at this point, just the final stretch is a lot of grinding work etc.

Glad to see you've been enjoying it :D

https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-48-1-hentaiwriter.1550/post-4668455
I mean, it's good to ask for reviews, but in here nobody reads them, at least not the majority of the site.

Reactions: dragonsix6969

Reapergod36

Jun 23, 2017
Why are we suddenly being flooded with five out of five reviews for this game?

EDIT: I see, but one cannot get rid of the bias of having paid for a product. Let alone having subscribed to a monthly Patreon. There's some confirmation in, 'I'm paying for it, if I admit it's bad then I made a stupid decision. I'm never willing to admit I'm stupid'. Which you would think wouldn't be that common and be not such a bad problem but it is. It's been seen a lot in the games' industry. People propping up games with unhealthy business practices(like gambling with real life money) for the sake of supporting how much money they spent in the game.

Reactions: TheNextOne

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
To be fair, every review before this flood of reviews, save for 2, were universally 5 star reviews.
In fact, this burst of reviews has more non-5 star reviews than we've ever gotten, with 3 of the new ones being 4 stars.

I see, but one cannot get rid of the bias of having paid for a product. Let alone having subscribed to a monthly Patreon. There's some confirmation in, 'I'm paying for it, if I admit it's bad then I made a stupid decision. I'm never willing to admit I'm stupid'.
Actually, as I pointed out in this post; https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-48-1-hentaiwriter.1550/post-4668848

The discord is a public Discord, and only 5% of the server are backers.
(621 Patreon backers vs. 10,108 total members)

Checking a number of the reviews, almost all of them are posted by non-backers; you can confirm this yourself by searching thier username on the Discord server, as it almost always matches up to the review account name on here, and then checking their roles, as the Patreon Backer roles are auto-assigned.

People propping up games with unhealthy business practices(like gambling with real life money) for the sake of supporting how much money they spent in the game.
I know this is an analogy, but for the record, there's no gambling or anything like that in our game, and we go to pretty great pains to make sure everyone is okay with thier pledge, including a policy where we refund you for any reason at any time. The last thing we'd want is someone being unsatisfied with how thier money was being used.

Reactions: V-red

Furabia

Donor
Jun 23, 2019
Does it really help you guys tough? Having lots of reviews I mean.

I read your discord post and you say that a lot of people discover the game through here and that's fine as it's how I found out about the game, but the reviews didn't do anything for me when I decided to check out the game on my own.

So shouldn't just having the thread bumped every once in a while be enough to make more people discover the game? I'm not sure if I follow the reasoning behind: having more reviews equals more exposure. Then again you as a dev may have some data to back this up that we the fans don't have so meh lol

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Does it really help you guys tough? Having lots of reviews I mean.

I read your discord post and you say that a lot of people discover the game through here and that's fine as it's how I found out about the game, but the reviews didn't do anything for me when I decided to check out the game on my own.
It's sort of a "casting a wide net" thing; for instance, conversely, if I were to check out a game (something I haven't gotten to do in a long time because of working on FF, but back when I did), the reviews would be the first thing I'd look at.

That's because most of the time, if someone goes to the effort of actually writing a review, they're fairly passionate about the game (one way or the other) and it gives a good idea of what I can expect in the game, instead of checking through 5000 posts in the forum thread.

So it's sort of like having multiple social media accounts; for some people, if you post a lot on Twitter, they'll never see your game, because they're exclusively on say, pirate forums, but then there's the reverse case too, so having more reviews definitely can't hurt for the type of people who do check out games based off of reviews.

So shouldn't just having the thread bumped every once in a while be enough to make more people discover the game? I'm not sure if I follow the reasoning behind: having more reviews equals more exposure. Then again you as a dev may have some data to back this up that we the fans don't have so meh lol
It's not "more reviews equals more exposure" that I'm after; it's "more reviews and more varied reviews from a variety of people equals more likelyhood someone wil trust that the game is good".

Think of it like Yelp reviews; if you see 10 reviews that are all 5 stars, giving it a 5 star average, that might look a bit suspicious, and like the game only caters to a small niche, so you might not want to give it your free time to check it out.

But a diner that has 500 reviews with an average of 4.5? That's pretty solid, it means a large variety of people feel mostly positive about it, which means there must be something special about it.

Reactions: Feletriu

Oir

Nov 5, 2018

EDIT: I see, but one cannot get rid of the bias of having paid for a product. Let alone having subscribed to a monthly Patreon. There's some confirmation in, 'I'm paying for it, if I admit it's bad then I made a stupid decision. I'm never willing to admit I'm stupid'. Which you would think wouldn't be that common and be not such a bad problem but it is. It's been seen a lot in the games' industry. People propping up games with unhealthy business practices(like gambling with real life money) for the sake of supporting how much money they spent in the game.
I see the opposite usually. People get unrealistic expectations for a project that they've supported and unreasonably expect it to be catered to them and their tastes. Patrons tend to support the dev because they want the dev to realize some that they've envisioned themselves. Thus, it's very rare for patrons/backers to be fully satisfied with a project that they've supported. I think we should be giving credit where credit is due. Unless the reviews are bots or something, the dev's doing something right.

With that being said, it was definitely a surprise to wake up to 30 notifications in my sidebar :/

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
With that being said, it was definitely a surprise to wake up to 30 notifications in my sidebar :/
Sorry about that, I didn't know people got alerts for reviews if they'd checked out a topic before, I thought it was only for new posts.

DerWahrePeter

Oct 5, 2019

Wut? Are people not critizing the likes of EA or ActiVision because 'they already bought the product'? Sure, there will be some shills, but definitely not all of them. I'd personally give the game 3.5 or 4 stars if I were to review it and I paid more than twice over what the game will cost in the end.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Wut? Are people not critizing the likes of EA or ActiVision because 'they already bought the product'? Sure, there will be some shills, but definitely not all of them. I'd personally give the game 3.5 or 4 stars if I were to review it and I paid more than twice over what the game will cost in the end.
And this is the kind of stuff we encourage. Don't get me wrong, we appreciate the glowing reviews that people have for the game, but middle-ground ratings like this often let us know things we need to improve on for the next game (or if possible to tweak in the existing game), while still balancing it with what our vision is (and knowing that we can't please everyone).

randombbl

Aug 30, 2017
It's honestly whatever, don't think anybody minds. The notifications go away after you just click the icon once anyways. So I'd just be clicking the notification icon with the number 30 on it instead of like 2. I just thought I had said something accidentally controversial or something.
^Same. My mind jumped to that, or one of the tags I followed just suddenly got a cult following.
As for the reviews, I don't mind, though I agree that I don't typically look at them. Especially on this particular site. You're likely to find negative reviews bitching about how their particular fetish isn't in the game, or "game too hard, not enough fap".

Case in point: 1 star review for this game, in May 2020 : " No new h-scene in the past 3y." That's just outrageously false, and I know this as I've been following the development, but if I was a new user who saw that I would've clicked off to some other game that wasn't apparently abandoned.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Case in point: 1 star review for this game, in May 2020 : " No new h-scene in the past 3y." That's just outrageously false, and I know this as I've been following the development, but if I was a new user who saw that I would've clicked off to some other game that wasn't apparently abandoned.
That's also another reason why having a lot of reviews helps to show reviews like that are just inaccurate; we're all for critique but people just posting objectively false stuff doesn't help anyone.

Oir

Nov 5, 2018
I had a few questions for the devs that are kinda just my own curiosity if you have the time.

I assume most H-game devs at some point beforehand, probably played H-games themselves or consumed some sort of eroge content. Personal question but after becoming a dev, do you still consume eroge or play H-games? Do you find that you enjoy it more/less (both in terms of fun and actually getting off on it).

Do you have a favourite H-game/series? Do you admire/get inspired by any other H-game developers in particular?

I assume Steam is the best platform to release H-games on the English market (just going off of English Dlsite having woefully low sales numbers for most games). With that being said, have you looked into releases for other languages on other platforms? (Japanese translation for Dlsite being the most obvious). If you have, what's the going rate for translations for text-heavy games like this and is this cost worth it to reach the Japanese market (or some other audience)?

It's not particularly common for H-game devs to actively engage in piracy sites such as F95. It must be a conflicting situation. Have you found that engaging with F95 or other similar forums has brought more paying supporters to your game?

Always found H-game development fascinating and really admire the devs that can tow the line between gameplay and eroge. Thanks for your time!

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I assume most H-game devs at some point beforehand, probably played H-games themselves or consumed some sort of eroge content. Personal question but after becoming a dev, do you still consume eroge or play H-games? Do you find that you enjoy it more/less (both in terms of fun and actually getting off on it).
Outside of playing some fellow dev's games every once in a while to help them with things like bugtesting or giving feedback on something, I don't really anymore; this isn't because I've become bored with them, it's just due to a total lack of time to do so as almost all my free time goes towards working on the game.

(This extends out to all games, not just NSFW ones; I haven't bought a new game of any kind in years.)

Do you have a favourite H-game/series? Do you admire/get inspired by any other H-game developers in particular?
Honestly, a lot of my favorite H-games are from decades ago, stuff on Newgrounds and older Japanese ones like True Love, almost entirely out of nostalgia.
As far as other H-game developers I admire/get inspired by, Anon42 and Orexius of Crisis Point: Extinction have had a long running back and forth of inspiration ping-pong between us if that makes sense, and the same goes for Shades of Shady Lewd Kart and Marble Maid.
Vosmug of Xenotake was one of the first h-game developers in the west I was able to talk to and get to know the process of making h-games from, too.
In general, honestly, if I sat down and wrote a list, it'd be pretty big; I'd do it but I'm on a big time crunch to get these databank scripts to the voice actors.

There's a lot of developers on our Discord too, all of which I think are making really great stuff and have their own role on there, if you're looking for some more high quality adult games.

On a side note, if you're interested about what inspired me personally in regards to Future Fragments, here's a long list I wrote up on the Discord a while back under the spoiler;

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Note that that list only covers my own inspirations; TriangulatePixels and FrougeDev have equal say on game design and concepts, so they've got their own lists too I'm sure.

I assume Steam is the best platform to release H-games on the English market (just going off of English Dlsite having woefully low sales numbers for most games). With that being said, have you looked into releases for other languages on other platforms? (Japanese translation for Dlsite being the most obvious). If you have, what's the going rate for translations for text-heavy games like this and is this cost worth it to reach the Japanese market (or some other audience)?
Steam is overwhelmingly stronger than any other platform to sell h-games on right now yeah, but we definitely plan to translate the game into Japanese first post-launch, then Russian, Chinese, Korean, in that order, and then all other languages that we can, money permitting.

It'll cost around $25,000 or so per language on average, so it'll definitely be very dependent on game sales (which is why, leading into the next question, we don't generally mind piracy, but we'd like to ask people to not pirate the game until a month or so after release so that we can get most of our sales during that month period of exposure, which then will give us funds to translate the game as well as continue to make more games of this quality/content density)

I think the cost is worth it, simply because while it may not be worth it in "direct digital sales", it likely will be worth it in physical sales through things like Comiket and actual retail store sales in Japan, which you're only going to get to do if your game's been translated professionally and you've made an honest, serious attempt to localize your game for the Japanese audience.

It's not particularly common for H-game devs to actively engage in piracy sites such as F95. It must be a conflicting situation. Have you found that engaging with F95 or other similar forums has brought more paying supporters to your game?
It definitely has; I can't count the number of people who've told me they originally pirated the game, then went on to pledge to it on Patreon. A big thing that helps is our personal policy towards piracy, which I posted about here; https://f95zone.to/threads/future-fragments-v0-48-1-hentaiwriter.1550/post-717788

Always found H-game development fascinating and really admire the devs that can tow the line between gameplay and eroge. Thanks for your time!
Thanks a lot for asking :D

Reactions: Oir
3.70 star(s) 84 Votes