HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
So is the version here still the current one being worked on/posted about?
The latest version is v0.49, but as it's meant purely as a progress/tech demo, it has far less content than the public demo, v0.27P, which is meant as a vertical slice/example of what the full game will be.

The version I've been mentioning in these update posts however, is many versions past v0.49 and is only being given out to QA testers solely for bugtesting, both because it contains spoilers and because it's practically the finished game sans the final boss battle, two tiny areas, and the cutscenes and endings and story stuff and all that.

I really like the CG and picture effects of the games you make, but unfortunately I'm not a good game player, so can I have an save file than that I can directly enjoy the CG content
There isn't really a "save file" that would work on latter versions to unlock things I believe, but I'll ask our programmer.

Reactions: Grabity

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I hope I live to see the release :ROFLMAO:
Nah, William Shatner would go up into space before that would happen.

Probably impossible, sorry to say, especially since we'll need around another 50 years of development to add in the new real-time 3D modular brain-scanning mode that reads the player's thoughts and alters the game's story in real time.

• Haha
Reactions: Zeddy

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
Nah, William Shatner would go up into space before that would happen.

Probably impossible, sorry to say, especially since we'll need around another 50 years of development to add in the new real-time 3D modular brain-scanning mode that reads the player's thoughts and alters the game's story in real time.
I hope, but such technologies will be a little dangerous, I can't wait I wonder what you will be on full release :)

ThatGuy2599

May 12, 2017
So I just got a weird ass email from Future Fragments.

I pledged early on to get the game at a reduced price. Now they are saying Steam is not allowing them to do that? I don't understand - I've been part of many other Kickstarters / Paetreons and never had a "give us more money" message appear.

1634361944304.png

I wonder why Steam is picking on them this way, when it doesn't care for plenty of others? The game is high quality and looks nice, but this feels abit off. I have no idea WHY Steam would tell them they have to charge backers additional money...plenty of games have early backer discounts and I've never heard / been charged myself more.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
So I just got a weird ass email from Future Fragments.

I pledged early on to get the game at a reduced price. Now they are saying Steam is not allowing them to do that? I don't understand - I've been part of many other Kickstarters / Paetreons and never had a "give us more money" message appear.
I actually got told this by steam around January 2020, and sent out emails back then about it.
I also made a post about it on all the social media I have, including a few posts addressing it here too.

The emails this time are just a second wave to alert anyone left who pledged under $20 in total, as we're coming up on release; I wouldn't want people to back us wanting to get the game and then they don't on launch because they backed us for $10 back in the day.

I'd much rather refund people (and have been over the last two days), instead of them giving us under $20 and they don't even get the game.
The last thing I want is for anyone to spend money backing us and either not get what they wanted/expected, or feel their money wasn't used well.

-----------

As far as the Steam ruling itself, it's actually something that's a bit obscure.

But the thing is, you're right about the Kickstarter stuff. They do allow discounted keys for crowdfunding campaigns...
...as long as the campaigns have a set end date for the funding, which Kickstarter does, and Patreon does not.

In the conversation I had with the help desk, they told me that since Patreon does not have a set end, they won't allow discounted keys to be handed out.
Here's a screencap from Steam's rulebook.

crowdfunding.png

The "set end date" here is talking about websites like Kickstarter and others that enforce a set end date on behalf of the website itself, not the creators themselves. When the end date on Kickstarter ends, it ends; the creators have no say over it once it's locked in (AFAIK).

On Patreon though, as you've all seen, we've had to extend development far past what we originally assumed. It's likely Steam has this rule because otherwise, you could effectively just claim to "still be crowdfunding" and perpetually offer keys at a discount on Steam, which they likely wouldn't be happy about.

If you've had a Patreon campaign do this in the past with Steam, they are breaking the rules, whether they know it or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilmncsm

Spatula22

Mar 1, 2018
I actually got told this by steam around January 2020, and sent out emails back then about it.
I also made a post about it on all the social media I have, including a few posts addressing it here too.
[...]
I received no email in or around January 2020.

Here's what you said in February 2020 (so after January 2020)
If you pledged $10 or more cumulatively ($1 10 times, $5 2 times, or $10 in one shot) on Patreon, you'll get an email when the game's complete asking you how you'd like the game to be sent to you (direct download or a key on any site besides Steam; unfortunately, due to Steam regulations, I can only give out Steam keys if you pledged $20 or more).
And here's what it says in an email I received in September 2020
(We do want to note though that per Steam rules, you'll need to have pledged $20 or more cumulatively to get a Steam key; if you did $10 instead, we'll be able to get you a key on any other storefront we're selling the game on, just not Steam, unfortunately.)
Steam's price parity is only for Steam keys, as you say in your post above. So what's the deal? When I first pledged you wouldn't have even had the option to sell the game on Steam.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I received no email in or around January 2020.
Going back through my records, it looks like I made a mistake on the dates when I initially wrote about this a few posts up; it was October 2020, not January 2020, when I made the post on Patreon, which you can see here and that I've made public temporarily.

Soon thereafter, I started sending out emails alerting people who may not be following the Patreon anymore, but had pledged in the past.

I'd need to know what your Patreon name was to check on this, but it's unfortunately often that stuff goes into people's spam boxes or just doesn't get delivered period; you can see a lot of examples in the picture below.
Practically every time I send out stuff like this, a good hundred or so people say they didn't get an email from me, and then I check and we've sent them like four emails over the last few years about rewards, alerts, etc. and so on.

I do try to send out Patreon messages about the same, but unfortunately, those don't get delivered either if the person's email inbox isn't working and they don't sign into Patreon anymore.

Additionally, I had to send out emails in waves; I actually had an entire google account of mine banned, literally deleted completely because I was sending out too many emails in a short period of time.

You can see just a few of the emails from the second email account I had to make to finish off sending the alert emails;

Screenshot_1056.png

Here's what you said in February 2020 (so after January 2020)
So investigating into it more (sorry, been pretty much on full time game crunch and haven't thought about this kind of stuff for a while now), the difference here is that prior to October 2020, when I talked to Steam's help desk about it, I was under the impression that while we planned to sell the game for $20 on all store fronts, we could give away keys on other storefronts for under $20; i.e. the $10 we originally promised.

However, when Steam notified me that if we give away keys on itch.io, gamejolt, mangagamer, JAST, anywhere at all under that $20 retail sales price, on a campaign that was without end as shown in the previous post, we had to make the retail price on Steam whatever we were giving it away for on other sites, which would have been $10.

In other words, Steam's price had to be the lowest or equal price to all other storefronts and equal to whatever price we were giving the keys away from, if we wanted to abide by their ToS and still sell on Steam.

So, when I found that out, that's when we changed things.

And here's what it says in an email I received in September 2020
This email saying this is explained by the one above.

Steam's price parity is only for Steam keys, as you say in your post above. So what's the deal? When I first pledged you wouldn't have even had the option to sell the game on Steam.
Yes, when you first pledged, we wouldn't had had that option, which is why we were able to make that claim for the $10 everywhere.

However, once Steam allowed adult games, we got our game on there around May 2020, and then we found out about this rule a few months after.

Not selling the game on Steam would probably reduce our income by about 95% for the game, which, while we're not solely about money (per my posts about piracy on this thread), I would like to not be in debt $40,000+ so that we can afford to begin work on future games immediately, and Steam sales would hopefully make that possible.

But, as this choice to sell on Steam (and the change in needing $20 instead of $10) is absolutely on us, that's why we offered to refund anyone, in full, no questions asked. That's still available too, all the way up to launch and through it. (You can even see some of the refunds in that email above where I say things like "Just sent!"; that's referring to the refund being sent.)

So if you or anyone else backed us and you do want a refund, feel free to contact me here, on Patreon, or twitter DMs, or anywhere else really.

Reactions: Aosih and ilmncsm

Spatula22

Mar 1, 2018
In other words, Steam's price had to be the lowest or equal price to all other storefronts and equal to whatever price we were giving the keys away from, if we wanted to abide by their ToS and still sell on Steam.
I don't believe Steam officially enforce price parity, but upon looking it up it sounds like they have veto power over pricing decisions and make comments about "being fair to customers" to essentially enforce this. That sucks. Because if it was written policy I'm sure there'd be better lawsuits against Valve.

To not get the game cheaper than the initial price kills the reason I donated in the first place. To buy from Patreon will cost me $24. I'll continue this conversation to Patreon.

Last edited:

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
To not get the game cheaper than the initial price kills the reason I donated in the first place. To buy from Patreon will cost me $24. I'll continue this conversation to Patreon.
I'm not sure what you mean with some of this; why would getting it from Patreon cost $24?

Spatula22

Mar 1, 2018
. In most places, like Steam and IRL shops, the tax is included in the price.

RossoX

Jun 3, 2021
steam pricing
Aren't there any loopholes that you can take advantage of to circumvent this?
1) Starting selling in other places before steam, give the customers there access to get the game discounted, then later activate the steam page and just link the keys?
2) Start selling on steam with a % discount, provide the keys with that lower value, remove the discount.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Aren't there any loopholes that you can take advantage of to circumvent this?
Given that Steam can, and often does, ban games that remotely try to take advantage of loopholes (it's even in the ToS warnings that if you try any gray area stuff they'll come down twice as hard on you), that's not something that would be worth the risk.

Even moreso since if you get your game banned on Steam, they won't take a version with alterations, and in some cases, they'll ban you, as a person, from selling on Steam, since creators have to register with their social security numbers and such.

That said, just for clarification's sake;

1) Starting selling in other places before steam, give the customers there access to get the game discounted, then later activate the steam page and just link the keys?
We could likely do this if we wanted to sell on other places besides Steam, but the game is already up on the Steam storefront (just not checked by Steam yet); this would violate the Steam practice of releasing on other sites before releasing on Steam if your game's up on their storefront.

2) Start selling on steam with a % discount, provide the keys with that lower value, remove the discount.
Steam keys only work for retail price; if we sold on Steam with a % discount, it would have to be the actual sales value of the game, meaning we'd have to increase the actual price of the game after doing this, and there's buffer periods for that, meaning we'd have to wait months to bring it back up to normal.

It's not the best situation, but it's why we offer the refund that we do, so that no one gets cheated out of money or feels unfairly treated.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#19 October 26th progress report.png

Weekly Progress Report #19 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

Reactions: ilmncsm and anon241

Derpbox

Nov 12, 2019
I don't understand, does the newer version include everything or do I need to install both versions and play them as separate games?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I don't understand, does the newer version include everything or do I need to install both versions and play them as separate games?
Neither version is an install, they're self extracting files so you can remove them whenever.

V0.27p is a fleshed out, full of content demo that represents what the full game will likely be close to being like.

All other demos are tech demos with no voice work, no finished text, no cutscenes, but they do have boss fights and enemies to interact with.

All the demos are also only one level each; we did it this way because with each level we finished, we added new global gameplay mechanics, and to update the mechanics with each level as we went along would have been a huge timeliness.

The full game will have all the levels connected and in a single installer.

Gwedelino

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2017
After 4 years the end is near...

I don't want to jinx anything, but it's quite uncommon to see something being completed here.

Was there any teaser of the next project following future fragments ?

3.70 star(s) 84 Votes