zensei

Jan 20, 2018
2) We only have one artist for everything in the game visually. This means that, since everything is hand-animated (no skeletons, spine, live2D, etc.) they would need to do double the frames of animation for the animation to look smooth and match the 60 FPS gameplay (as other objects like projectiles etc. would be moving at 60 FPS regardless of animation frames).
Frame interpolation is a thing? There's ridiculously good interpolation techniques that sacrifice almost 0 quality.
Besides, having slow moving sprites in a 60 fps engine isn't a bad thing. People want 60 frames simply because movement in platformers (or any other game for this matter) is much better at 60 frames. Your programmer should probably know that

But if your only artist is already burdened with animating and drawing everything I guess they get a pass.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Frame interpolation is a thing? There's ridiculously good interpolation techniques that sacrifice almost 0 quality.
These only work well with certain types of art. Pixel art usually looks pretty awful with them; we've tried, with lots of different programs and websites. Cleaning up the sprite while keeping the "interpolated frames aesthetic" consistent would take about as long for our artist as just doing the extra frames themselves in their own style.

It especially looks bad when you have characters with our cartoony-ish proportions, and even worse when it comes to different positions where body parts are hidden and the program can't figure it out.

And, even if it did work perfectly, interpolation just looks sloppy, to be honest. It gives off a "Johnny Test Flash Animation" vibe and ruins the general feel of the aesthetic we're going for.

If there were a way to make it genuinely hand-draw pixel art animation frame by frame with the interpolation like what our artist is doing now, then we'd be for it, but as it is, the technology still has a way to go.

Here's a few examples (and these are some of the best ones we could get);

flying-demon-h2.gif

The original, above; it has weight to it, impact, the thrusts have solid "oomph" to them.

33fps_limitPallete_PIL_flying-demon-h2.gif

A 40 FPS version (as the original is 10 FPS, so this is 4x) with DAIN; the wings and the tail look janky, to say the least, not something that looks good at all. The animation also feels very "soft"; it looks more like he's just sort of lightly gliding his pelvis back and forth, not having rough sex.

flying-demon-h2-4x-RIFE-RIFE23-40fps.gif

A 40 FPS version with RIFE: the wings look a little bit better, as does the tail, but they still both look janky. The thrusts still appear soft, too.

And here's a 20 FPS version, just to compare, again with RIFE;

flying-demon-h2-2x-RIFE-RIFE23-20fps.gif

The wings don't have as much of an issue, but the tail is still distorted.
The thrusts don't look as soft, but they still feel somewhat softer than the original... which means even with this, we'd be sacrificing quality, as in, the original intent of the feel of the animation.

This is again, one of the best examples of it; most of the other animations end up horribly bugged.

Besides, having slow moving sprites in a 60 fps engine isn't a bad thing. People want 60 frames simply because movement in platformers (or any other game for this matter) is much better at 60 frames. Your programmer should probably know that.
More frames does result in better control, this is true, but just to be clear, the game's visuals are locked at 30 FPS.

The game itself is running, on most computers, upwards of 500+ FPS. Meaning, it's registering your input much, much more often than just 30 FPS.

Finally, honestly, it just looks weird to see sprites animating at 30 FPS, while projectiles are moving at 60 FPS. We've tried it in-engine by unlocking it, and it just feels and plays "off"; the protagonist looks like they're gliding along even if we speed or slow their animations up, instead of walking, movement doesn't feel "weighty" anymore, it gives almost a Roger Rabbit feel like we grabbed people from the "30 FPS world" and stuck them in the "60 FPS world".

Here's a video about it;

Last edited:

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
i would be wish you add version with more sex scenes, by the way, I didn't see this pose by the demon, is it the one that was "mind control" not allowed to post in the patreon?

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
i would be wish you add version with more sex scenes, by the way, I didn't see this pose by the demon, is it the one that was "mind control" not allowed to post in the patreon?
Patreon doesn't allow hypno, but we would have gotten rid of it either way; it doesn't fit the game lore at all.

If the WORM are heavily against sex, and the Rebels are all for sex and debauchery, it wouldn't make too much sense for the WORM to have a soldier whose main power is making people masturbate / horny. It'd be a useless power against the Rebels, and for the WORM, it'd be extremely offensive.

booted up the new demo and a little something caught my eye

As in... THIS Larry Bundy Jr.??
Yep, he's been in there since v0.27P, many, many years ago.

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
well, in general, it fits why not (especially the ending of the snowy level), a bit dark ending, yet they are not playing a game, they are kind of trying to save the kingdom. :)

ned digger

Feb 23, 2019
Yep, he's been in there since v0.27P, many, many years ago.
Really! Huh, guess it never clicked for me (...or back then I just blasted past the intro screen without taking a minute to see the fine folks who deserve credit for making this project a reality)
Does he have any lines in the demo? I feel like I'd recognize that voice anywhere.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
well, in general, it fits why not (especially the ending of the snowy level), a bit dark ending, yet they are not playing a game, they are kind of trying to save the kingdom. :)
We redid the ending stuff wtih the ice level boss quite a while back actually, it's not nearly as dark now.

But yeah, Talia's whole thing with saving the kingdom is entirely different from what the WORM and Rebels are up to, she's on her own mission regardless of them.

Really! Huh, guess it never clicked for me (...or back then I just blasted past the intro screen without taking a minute to see the fine folks who deserve credit for making this project a reality)
Does he have any lines in the demo? I feel like I'd recognize that voice anywhere.
Yeah, anyone who's credited here has voicework in the demo; these are the voice actors just for this demo.

The actual number of VAs for the full game is around 90 or so I believe, so more than 4x this amount.

If you want to hear his voicework, it's in the databank in P3M3 that's credited to "K. Piggleston".

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
come on man, this dev seems to be one of the most genuine I've seen so far
butttt yea, they should've just gave themselves more leeway with the release date...it's better to impress than to..depress? XD
Yeah, that's why we're just vaguely saying Spring 2022 now, and future games will just be "when it's ready" until we're practically ready to release, and even then we'll only give the year, we definitely learned our lesson with this one.

• Red Heart
Reactions: HardcoreCuddler

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
wonder if there will be a bad ending at the end, like for example she ill server, also don’t really like that the story is served only through computers, I mean there are no cutscenes, from these computers stories at least a little.

zeus201677

May 24, 2017
Is vosmug the one who created Ghost Hunter Vena? isnt he like just one dude? and he made that game in like in 4 years...

Future Fragments is still in development after 7 years and probably wont be bug free for another year or so after release if it does at all.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
wonder if there will be a bad ending at the end, like for example she ill server, also don’t really like that the story is served only through computers, I mean there are no cutscenes, from these computers stories at least a little.
There's over 30 cutscenes in the Steam demo and 150+ in the full game, most of them with multiple choices; are you pressing Up on NPCs with blue "!" on them?

And yeah, if you don't get all 9 Fragments and 12 Gold Databanks you'll get a bad ending.

Not sure what an "Ill server" is though.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Is vosmug the one who created Ghost Hunter Vena? isnt he like just one dude? and he made that game in like in 4 years...

Future Fragments is still in development after 7 years and probably wont be bug free for another year or so after release if it does at all.
We plan to fix most of the bugs before release; that's what the 2 extra months is for.

Also, while I love Vosmug's stuff and we've worked together, the amount of content in FF is probably bigger than the majority of non AAA games, and even some AAA games too. It's not really a fair comparison.

- 150 NPCs, all voiced
- 120 databanks, also all voiced
- 20+ hours of voicework by 90+ voice actors, all of which have to be given voice direction and have their audio cut up and arranged for each character, then equalized volume-wise, per cutscene
- 150+ cutscenes, most with choices, and most that link up to others for at least 300+ variations of cutscenes
- 50 powerups, with 20,000+ combinations possible
- 1,000+ custom sound effects
- 3+ hours of custom music, dynamically playing
- 20 enemies and 10 environmental traps
- 120+ hand drawn sex animations, no reused animations
- 7 bosses with multiple attacks each and multiple phases, most with gigantic sprites that are again animated with no tweening or other assistance
- 5 levels with parallax, multiple tilesets, multiple backgrounds, and multiple visual flair props each
- Custom lighting and physics engine built for the game
- Full level editor and cutscene creator built for the game that lets users make and trade entire levels of their own
- Multiple level mechanics that are unique to each level
- 400,000+ word script
- An achievements system with 100 achievements in the game, no grinding or fetch quests
- A full glossary and bestiary of all enemies, events, backstory, and worldbuilding for the game
- A collections menu for databanks
- A gallery for all the animations and CGs etc.
- 25+ CGs, each with variant pictures and variant scripts, all voiced of course
- 40+ endings, between the true endings, bad endings, and secret endings, each of which get their own theme music
- The "Ideals" system, where every choice you make in a cutscene (and outside of cutscenes too) adds or subtracts points from any of the 8 "traits" you have; sexuality, justice, hatred, violence, pessimism, optimism, pacifism, and kindness, and your current points affect your choices possible or variant of cutscene you get
- 130+ maps across the game
- Extensive testing by a group of 50+ testers for months to find and document all bugs
- Full custom controller support systems with button prompts and such switching in real time

We're a 3 person team (for the core team) plus two audio people, so I'd say thats pretty deserving of about 6 and a half years of work (as our old programmer went AWOL for nearly a year).

This isn't even considering "things outside of the game itself" like;

- replying to backer messages
- sending out emails one by one by hand,
- answering questions on multiple forums (like this) and on discord
- making game design documents for each team member catered to their skillset
- setting up social media and keeping those updated as well as progress updates
- making marketing materials and trailers
- organizing translations
- working with our casting agency to slot in VAs for specific roles, so each NPC needed a writeup for their personality, summary of their cutscene, voice information, etc.
- keeping track of plot continuity and gameplay content ccohesiveness and making organized documents for it

There's a lot of content and work that goes on that people haven't seen or will never see because it's just under the hood stuff.

Last edited:

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
Your bossfight in v.027EX is too hard
What powerups do you have on your run? In a normal game, you'd have at 20 powerups by that point potentially, and up to 30 possible, so in the full game he'll be quite a bit easier.

However, even without powerups;
- Your Fire Dash makes you totally invincible for the duration; use it to get out of tight situations. You can use it twice in a row too at full mana, so if a lot of bullets are covering the screen, you can use it to quickly get to a corner, where few bullet patterns reach.

- Your shots should reach him once you're standing on a platform; you can play it safe by just observing bullet patterns for each phase (there's 3-4 bullet patterns per phase), and then waiting until a "safe" one appears where you won't be hit easily while standing on the platforms. Then, you can just shoot him tons until the "unsafe" ones start back up.

- Single shots are generally the best way to go for this boss, just spamming them, but remember if you press the button too fast that your shots will actually come out slower; there's a sweet spot of how fast you can press it to get the most shots out.

- In this version in particular (but not in the full game), you can still get stunned during the boss fight; you can use this to your advantage if a particularly complex series of bullets is coming out, both to run out the pattern until a new one starts, and to catch your breath and recoup your focus.

- Finally, if you're having trouble shooting him while on the platform or staying in one place, both the Ice and Fire charged shots will do a small chunk of damage; you'll want to throw the ice shot from as far away as possible though, and the fire shot only close up/point blank for the most damage.

Hope that all helps!

dragonsix6969

Apr 26, 2019
I mean right at the end of the final battle like an ill server, there at the end if you lose then there will be sex with villains. all characters captured and f**ked :)

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I mean right at the end of the final battle like an ill server, there at the end if you lose then there will be sex with villains. all characters captured and f**ked :)
So in the final battle, if you lose, there is no sex scene for that; that's because the final boss has no interest in sex (it'll make sense when you see who it is).

However, if you get to the end of the game without all the Fragments and Gold Databanks, you will get a scene with Talia and Faye captured and gangbanged by the entire town, yeah.

Reactions: Sync
3.70 star(s) 84 Votes