HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Yes, it is all voiced. Looking at an estimated 25 hours of voicework, across 93 voice actors and 300+ characters.

The only exceptions are;
- glossary text
- powerup descriptions / other GUI descriptions
- Narrator text
mf's put more effort into voices than others put into the entire fucking game they made...holy mother of my shaved nuts dude

Reactions: Merlin7

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
mf's put more effort into voices than others put into the entire fucking game they made...holy mother of my shaved nuts dude
We really, really wanted the player choices to matter and for there to be a lot of differences between each person's playthrough, so we wanted a lot of options.

Probably 75% of the voicework is done, and the rest is quickly getting finished.

Sologor

Nov 13, 2020
I know, right? Triple A games studios could seriously learn a million things or more from this small team. I could really go on a rant here but that would just get my comment deleted so let's leave it at that. I have a feeling the game is getting released in the next couple of days or next Monday.

Pure guesstimation on my part but I want to be optimistic

Jul 3, 2018
I know, right? Triple A games studios could seriously learn a million things or more from this small team. I could really go on a rant here but that would just get my comment deleted so let's leave it at that. I have a feeling the game is getting released in the next couple of days or next Monday.

Triple A studios are a shit ton bigger and even more bureucratic these days, thus the games suffer

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017

It'll more than likely be mid October, start of November at the very latest, just because it's extremely doubtful we'll get accepted with this current submission since the actual endings to the game aren't actually in game yet (the audio, writing, music, etc. is done, just not actually plugged into the game).

If that is the case, we'll re-submit a week or two from now (when NextFest is over, since they're unlikely to check for new games during it anyways) and then we should be good. The game'll be more complete for it too, so win-win.

Spatula22

Mar 1, 2018
Of the text in the game, probably less than 2% is of a sexual nature. Shows with sexual content that are localized into other languages, like Orange is the New Black and Game of Thrones, I would estimate have a similar amount of sexual content in their scripts/events as our game does.
I was kinda expecting this response, but it's still disappointing. Since you've set up the story around a sex deprived populous, with sex robots, where you can get raped in literally every encounter, I'm going to assume you're lowballing that number and the percentage of erotic text is much higher. If the text isn't during a sex scene, set-up for a later potential sexual encounter, or otherwise intended to make me wet (erotic worldbuilding included) then it's probably wasting my time.

And really, it's also been a selling point in almost any game that has it for most of gaming history. Star Ocean 2 had 80+ plus endings, and featured that statistic prominently on advertisements for the game; in modern days, the Stanley Parable is literally just a "multiple endings" simulator and people chart out all the crazy things you have to do to access the most obscure endings.

Both games were commercial successes.

If a game has multiple endings, the player gets more freedom of choice; they can get one ending and call it quits, or they can go for multiple endings. Having only one ending means they only get that one ending, and that's it.
More choices / ways for the player to engage with the game / play it, is a good thing in most people's books.
Yeah, multiple endings is a selling point, but how many games have more than a few endings? Catherine is a similar idea to yours. Story interspersed through gameplay. "Your decisions matter". Only had three endings. That might seem a little disappointing but I also don't think the game would be much better if it had 80. It's the kind of game people will play through multiple times, but most people won't.

I haven't played Star Ocean 2, but it seems "endings" are short scenes and you get multiple on a single playthrough. Advertising it as 80+ endings is a way to try to sound impressive. Advertisers love big numbers, they think they sound cool. Like when devs brag about their 100+ hour games (of daunting filler), or rather than X number of powerups you can mix-and-match, why not say X³ combinations of powerups!?

Each story in Stanley Parable takes between like one and ten minutes. This game is not the same. Stanley Parable works because it is all about choice, and it would not be as popular if each ending required the same core four hours of gameplay. The game only lasts like four hours total.

I bought the game on the promise of competent gameplay and sexy sex scenes. Multiple endings and choices mattering is not a bad thing, I think you've just taken it to the extreme in planning and not been reined in. For where the game is, I think this project has actually been managed well. Progress on some fronts has seemed slow, but you've almost always been able to show progress towards clear goals. But I also think you've spent more money and time on this game than the value returned.

All of this is to say, I am sure I will not be disappointed in the time and money I spend on this game. I don't quite understand the patrons that have been bankrolling you all these years but I hope they're satisfied too. But I expect your next big project (EE or whatever) will be in another ten years so you won't be seeing much more money or interest from me. I'm at least hoping the Faye game doesn't take five years.

I'm not sure what you mean about this; why do you think story is locked behind difficulty selection? There's only normal and easy mode, and playing either one doesn't lock you out of anything story-wise.
"(In the full game however, [Easy Mode] will block access to the true final ending.)"
I'd think that because you thought that. I'd assume this was a very early development idea, but I've not seen you recant the statement, and someone brought it up recently and you didn't correct them.

HardcoreCuddler

Engaged Member
Aug 4, 2020
Holy shit, Eromancer gets a shit ton of money but still doesnt come close to the amount of content you make
goes to show the progress someone can make if they actually invest the money into the actual game instead of investing into DRM, gatcha shite, multiplayer, or just straight up using it for things completely unrelated with the game

Dexhellhound

Apr 18, 2018
I can't see how this is a negative outside of a raw effort vs financial gain comparison. Yeah sure if you're looking for max profit with as little effort as possible it's better to churn out renpy incest games with daz models or RPGM with base tilesets and recycled assets. If you're looking to make an actual game then it's gonna take time and effort.
just throwing this out there but oki is just trolling i wouldn't take him serous

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I was kinda expecting this response, but it's still disappointing. Since you've set up the story around a sex deprived populous, with sex robots, where you can get raped in literally every encounter, I'm going to assume you're lowballing that number and the percentage of erotic text is much higher. If the text isn't during a sex scene, set-up for a later potential sexual encounter, or otherwise intended to make me wet (erotic worldbuilding included) then it's probably wasting my time.
That's fine, but the game was setup with sex to be interwoven through the game's storyline and worldbuilding as *an* aspect of it, not *the* aspect of it.

Doing a game where you have nonstop sex constantly in every scenario is about the same to me as games from the 90s that had nothing but violence and used it as their sole selling point.

So no, I promise I am not lowballing that. You could go the entire game without seeing sex. You could also see lots of sex scenes and events per level, too.

Yeah, multiple endings is a selling point, but how many games have more than a few endings?
Not too many, which is why we wanted to do that. Future Fragments is a game about doing things in games we wanted to see in games because we rarely saw it done and said elements were things we liked in games, but again, were rarely done.

I haven't played Star Ocean 2, but it seems "endings" are short scenes and you get multiple on a single playthrough.
No, it's literally different endings.

is all about choice, and it would not be as popular if each ending required the same core four hours of gameplay.
I think this might be where you're missing the intent and design we have planned.

You can save scum to get the endings, but the game is designed to be a different experience each playthrough, as there are literally a thousand plus cutscene variants. So each playthrough should have different content, etc.

I bought the game on the promise of competent gameplay and sexy sex scenes. Multiple endings and choices mattering is not a bad thing, I think you've just taken it to the extreme in planning and not been reined in.
TBH, we cut out sooooo many things we had planned that I've definitely been reined in, lol. I posted a list a few pages back.

But as far as the choices and endings for this game go, this is the baseline for me. Future games will definitely have more of both.

For where the game is, I think this project has actually been managed well. Progress on some fronts has seemed slow, but you've almost always been able to show progress towards clear goals. But I also think you've spent more money and time on this game than the value returned.
For context, we're at 45k wishlists on Steam alone, so if even only 20% of those convert AND we never get another sale again on any platform, I'll have broken even at a minimum and paid my debt off entirely.

But I expect your next big project (EE or whatever) will be in another ten years so you won't be seeing much more money or interest from me.
Eroding Ego should take far less time than FF both due to experience we've gained on FF, as well as having our own engine now. Also, a lot of the assets are already done for it.

"(In the full game however, [Easy Mode] will block access to the true final ending.)"
This is very old; we changed this out back around 2020 or so I believe. If I still have this up somewhere, let me know and I'll fix it immediately.

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
#61 September 30th progress report.png

Weekly Progress Report #61 for Future Fragments

DISCORD
-
STEAM -
TWITTER -
FREE DEMO -
MORE PLACES -

All links are for those 18+ of age and older only.

----------------------

Literally nothing notable to report, just still pumping out content/getting stuff in the game!

limenghan

Feb 1, 2018
I choose the easy mode, but he is still too difficult for me, after death will return to the place of birth, I hope I can in the first place can use cheat mode to enjoy the game rather than by complete achievement can unlock, hope you can give is not good at action games people a friendly choices rather than embarrass them, by the way, As a former sponsor of your game, I think I have the right to suggest this to you

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
I choose the easy mode, but he is still too difficult for me, after death will return to the place of birth, I hope I can in the first place can use cheat mode to enjoy the game rather than by complete achievement can unlock, hope you can give is not good at action games people a friendly choices rather than embarrass them, by the way, As a former sponsor of your game, I think I have the right to suggest this to you
So while it won't be in at launch, there will be a setup for bosses where if you lose to them an excessive amount of times, you'll get a pass to instantly defeat them.

limenghan

Feb 1, 2018
So while it won't be in at launch, there will be a setup for bosses where if you lose to them an excessive amount of times, you'll get a pass to instantly defeat them.
This is a little disrespectful, but it doesn't help me at all. I'm just asking if I can use someone else's save when the game launches if I can't finish it.

Nov 24, 2017
This is a little disrespectful, but it doesn't help me at all. I'm just asking if I can use someone else's save when the game launches if I can't finish it.
What's disrespectful? Adaptive difficulty has been around since the late 90s. This game is giving you a pass if you can't even beat a boss on the easiest difficulty. I don't get why some people get all butthurt from told to "git gud".

HentaiWriter

Game Developer
Jan 30, 2017
As far as using someone else's save, we aren't going to have compatibility for that built into the game, but we also aren't going to make it impossible to use someone else's save either, if you want to put in the effort to do so.

Reactions: MortimerScharf
3.70 star(s) 84 Votes