UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
Ah, so the several seconds delay on opening the quest menu was the game. Here I was worried I had another harddrive issue.
Always nice to see a new version of this. :)

JimmyJazz69

Jul 3, 2020
Another bit of feedback for the current update, hachigames : the game takes a little bit more time to load, but everything else seems normal. The translation engine, however appears to have solved every issue I previously had. Sweet!

hachigames

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2020
Hmm, load menu doesn't show my saves. Older one (31.1) still does. MacOS (not M1).
I see. This actually helps a lot. It could be a problem with m1 then. I think another problematic thing is that the mac version might have changed the package name, so the save games are now in the wrong position. If you can find out where it now saves your saves, you can copy them over. Meanwhile I'll try to figure this all out and fix it.

Unfortunately the mac I have right now is ancient, so I have to first update macOS to do anything. I'll also try to maybe run it via a remote desktop I can rent.

hachigames

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2020
Alright, good news. After 12h and renting a mac with the new ARM architecture (silicon), I was finally able to figure out the problem.
The new unity version added building for that architecture. The default is building the game for both intel and silicon. While this is generally a good idea, the problem here was that the webp libraries were not compiled for silicon, which caused them to not be loaded with a generic error that could have meant anything.
Now, the new macOS has a thing called rosetta, which enables apps to run that were compiled for intel. Without that they would have lost 99% of their current apps.

Long story short, the trick was to switch the build to be intel only, since that was what the old unity version did by default, so there isn't anything lost here.
Eventually, the webp wrapper will officially release silicon libraries and then I can switch over.

I will also be fixing the slow quest menu. I have more optimizations already done, but I want to break things again, so I'll do more testing on that.

UnDeaD_CyBorG

Apr 6, 2018
Two sentences in, I was already thinking "It's gotta require a switch to only intel to get it to work on a mac, won't it?". :LOL:
Though how come a simple quest menu can be so slow?
I can't imagine that being such a significant block of code.

hachigames

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2020
Two sentences in, I was already thinking "It's gotta require a switch to only intel to get it to work on a mac, won't it?". :LOL:
Though how come a simple quest menu can be so slow?
I can't imagine that being such a significant block of code.
The quest menu was loading all rows, including the ones from the "completed" tab. I switched to only load those on demand and also not to load them all at once.

Voight

Apr 22, 2020
Long story short, the trick was to switch the build to be intel only, since that was what the old unity version did by default, so there isn't anything lost here.
FYI, just ticking the "Open with Rosetta" box in "Get Info" fixed the issue for me. Stupid me didn't think of that earlier. I guess this Apple Silicon transition went too smoothly so far that I forgot to check the obvious.

Thank you for supporting Macs that well. And as you update your game very frequently, I'm heading to Patreon to get subscribed right now.

• Red Heart
Reactions: hachigames

hachigames

Game Developer
Apr 22, 2020
FYI, just ticking the "Open with Rosetta" box in "Get Info" fixed the issue for me. Stupid me didn't think of that earlier. I guess this Apple Silicon transition went too smoothly so far that I forgot to check the obvious.

Thank you for supporting Macs that well. And as you update your game very frequently, I'm heading to Patreon to get subscribed right now.
Ah that makes a lot of sense, since that will force the game to open as the intel version making the libs valid. Fix for the save game location is on the way, too. And thank you so much for your support <3

RSVHZ

Feb 6, 2021
Hmm, load menu doesn't show my saves. Older one (31.1) still does. MacOS (not M1).
The two versions are looking in different places. To fix it go to your library (in the finder open the “Go” menu while holding down the option key and choose “Library”. The old saves are in the folder “Application Support/com.Company.ProductName/save”. The new ones are in the folder “Application Support/com.HachiGames.HailDicktator/save”. Just copy the newest file from the former folter into the latter and you should be good to continue.

Voight

Apr 22, 2020
The two versions are looking in different places. To fix it go to your library (in the finder open the “Go” menu while holding down the option key and choose “Library”. The old saves are in the folder “Application Support/com.Company.ProductName/save”. The new ones are in the folder “Application Support/com.HachiGames.HailDicktator/save”. Just copy the newest file from the former folter into the latter and you should be good to continue.
Or symlink the new location to the old one. Delete the ...Hachi.. folder in ~/Library/Application Support and then execute in Terminal:
Code:
ln -s ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.Company.ProductName ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.HachiGames.HailDicktator
That way you don't have to track which progression is where, as it is the same place.

Reactions: RSVHZ

Headingley

Mar 16, 2020
Ah that makes a lot of sense, since that will force the game to open as the intel version making the libs valid. Fix for the save game location is on the way, too. And thank you so much for your support <3
still will not open on my Mac I think I might have to give up on this and try again at the next release and hope it is fixed by then.

WaveOfPig

May 12, 2017
I'm not smart enough to decipher all of this. Does this mean that we will have to wait for Unity to get their shit together, or is this a fixable problem? (mid 2018 macbook pro user here if that helps any)

Fiufia

Jun 25, 2021
I'm not smart enough to decipher all of this. Does this mean that we will have to wait for Unity to get their shit together, or is this a fixable problem? (mid 2018 macbook pro user here if that helps any)
just give hachigames some time he/she is working on it and it looks like he/she already knows what the problem is.

Namenob

Aug 30, 2019
Checking the Open Using Rosetta box and moving the saves over like y'all said fixed the problem for me! Thanks - MB air M1

Aug 14, 2020
This fix worked perfectly for me on my M1 Mac Mini. Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't know about the Use Rosetta button in Get Info, but I expect that it's going to come in very handy.

4.30 star(s) 207 Votes