akenedy

May 3, 2017
The way I see it the introduction of Klauss was to keep the story fresh and going forward since the moment the mc and Haley got together it would've got eventually boring with the romance stuff and the story would've had to wrap it up, this way there was shock and drama basically fuel to keep the story going albeit the story element could've been presented better than it was, with more careful writing and timing a lot of sensitive people would've taken the hit much smoother, but changing drastically the plot or hasten it against the writer's vision at this late stage in the game is just naive unless you aim to harm the project. The course has been laid, the story is heading in a very obvious direction and at this point, you either support the game and stick with it to the end or just ignore it, it's that simple really, although I have to agree that the pacing of the game did get slower, maybe it's the fatigue that kicked in working on a long project like this.

armion82

Devoted Member
Mar 28, 2017
Again, it took Radiant one week to surpass it.
Father/daughter games are so much rare compare to the usual mom/son and brother/sister.
Not to mention we are talking for 3 daughters and potential harem.
Definitely there is a huge demand.
Just look at the incredible support for DMD.Such a long time/44 months and continue/

Reactions: Renzon

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
I cannot possibly express how little this knowledge affects me. Radiant is an excellent game, which deserves all the support it is getting. However, so long as the developers continue with this game, I don't care if I am the ONLY person who plays and supports it.
I can understand that. Go to Rotten Tomatoes and look at some of the worst movies ever made, none of them score a 0%. There is some one out there that will like just about anything. If you decide to watch the movie Basket Case, you're probably going to like it. Is it because it's a good movie? No; it's because if you choose to watch it, you already know what it is. I think the same is true here to some extent here. Most new players already know something about the content and choose to play it. There is also the binge watch phenomenon.

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
Father/daughter games are so much rare compare to the usual mom/son and brother/sister.
Not to mention we are talking for 3 daughters and potential harem.
Definitely there is a huge demand.
Just look at the incredible support for DMD.Such a long time/44 months and continue/
I pay attention to such things because it interests me. It seems to me that games where women are the victim of abuse tend to do worse financially than games that do not. Personally, I will not support games that contain such content. One of the reasons this bothers me so much here is that I once supported this game as the romantic comedy that I loved. Now it's almost unrecognizable. I support Mr. Dots and have for some time. The quality of his games are maintained, I like his new game Sunshine Love as well, which has brother/sister incest.

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
The way I see it the introduction of Klauss was to keep the story fresh and going forward since the moment the mc and Haley got together it would've got eventually boring with the romance stuff and the story would've had to wrap it up, this way there was shock and drama basically fuel to keep the story going albeit the story element could've been presented better than it was, with more careful writing and timing a lot of sensitive people would've taken the hit much smoother, but changing drastically the plot or hasten it against the writer's vision at this late stage in the game is just naive unless you aim to harm the project. The course has been laid, the story is heading in a very obvious direction and at this point, you either support the game and stick with it to the end or just ignore it, it's that simple really, although I have to agree that the pacing of the game did get slower, maybe it's the fatigue that kicked in working on a long project like this.
The quality of the story took a nose dive with the August update, the update that introduced Klaus. It was more evident to people who were playing month to month. The writer's vision was to have this wrapped up in 4-5 updates. Ptolemy has been working nonstop on projects for years. I don't want to ignore it because without my annoying comments other developers might get the idea that this plot twist is a good idea to copy as happened with AL.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
The quality of the story took a nose dive with the August update, the update that introduced Klaus. It was more evident to people who were playing month to month. The writer's vision was to have this wrapped up in 4-5 updates. Ptolemy has been working nonstop on projects for years. I don't want to ignore it because without my annoying comments other developers might get the idea that this plot twist is a good idea to copy as happened with AL.
Do you really think that Acting Lessons is a good example here?

Many people, including me, hated what happened at the end of Acting Lessons. I still refuse to play the last couple of releases. And yet, there it sits at #10 on the list of highest rated games on F95. And his new game, Being A DIK, resides atop that same list.

And here I am, hating what happened in AL, but yet supporting DrPinkCake as a Patron, and eagerly awaiting his next release of BaDIK.

As for this game, I realize that you despise what happened to it. I'm okay with that. I have always said that anyone who doesn't like a game has every right to criticize it. I'm not okay that you seem compelled to make it your mission to continually disparage this one in an attempt to dissuade others from even trying it. Seems a bit petty to me.

By the way, I also bemoan the lack of testing that is obvious in recent releases. My opinion is that they are so fixated on meeting release dates, and squeezing in content, that proper testing falls through the cracks. However, this game is certainly not lonesome in that regard. Actually, there are very few developers around here that even know what proper testing is. Every week I run across releases that crash in places that any testing at all would have discovered. Oh, well.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
The way I see it the introduction of Klauss was to keep the story fresh and going forward since the moment the mc and Haley got together it would've got eventually boring with the romance stuff and the story would've had to wrap it up
This was precisely my feeling. It is a common problem with pure love stories after all. Once you get the girl, the story is over and you need ad hoc elements to keep it alive. The same happens to harem stories once everybody agrees MC can fuck whoever they want. Note however that those ad hoc elements can be more interesting that the original story itself. But this requires in some sense, changing the essence of the story.
The twins were already together by the moment Klaus appeared. There was need to do something. Or maybe I was wrong and everything was planned from the beginning, honestly, does not matter. Stories are more than just the original concept. How they evolve is equally important.
So far I am enjoying the story, regardless of the fact that is not the story that started. Gotta wait and see what happens.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
This was precisely my feeling. It is a common problem with pure love stories after all. Once you get the girl, the story is over and you need ad hoc elements to keep it alive. The same happens to harem stories once everybody agrees MC can fuck whoever they want. Note however that those ad hoc elements can be more interesting that the original story itself. But this requires in some sense, changing the essence of the story.
The twins were already together by the moment Klaus appeared. There was need to do something. Or maybe I was wrong and everything was planned from the beginning, honestly, does not matter. Stories are more than just the original concept. How they evolve is equally important.
So far I am enjoying the story, regardless of the fact that is not the story that started. Gotta wait and see what happens.
Right! They could have left Klaus out and developed a completely different drama, perhaps one as suggested by ptahn. Or they could have left all the drama out, and explored different combinations of participants, and everything would have been all rainbows and unicorns. But they did neither of those things, and instead propelled us down the path we have now. <Shrug.> Either way, I could have still supported the game, provided that the narrative remained good. But they chose this path, and I'm all in with what we have. I can hardly wait to see how everything is resolved. In fact, this is one of those games I might continue playing if the sex stopped completely. There are a few of them. After all, we've seen the ultimate - sex between Haley and the MC. After that, there are still a few more things I'd like to see when it comes to sex scenes. But now... the plot's the thing!

Reactions: johnelros

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
Do you really think that Acting Lessons is a good example here?

Many people, including me, hated what happened at the end of Acting Lessons. I still refuse to play the last couple of releases. And yet, there it sits at #10 on the list of highest rated games on F95. And his new game, Being A DIK, resides atop that same list.

And here I am, hating what happened in AL, but yet supporting DrPinkCake as a Patron, and eagerly awaiting his next release of BaDIK.

As for this game, I realize that you despise what happened to it. I'm okay with that. I have always said that anyone who doesn't like a game has every right to criticize it. I'm not okay that you seem compelled to make it your mission to continually disparage this one in an attempt to dissuade others from even trying it. Seems a bit petty to me.

By the way, I also bemoan the lack of testing that is obvious in recent releases. My opinion is that they are so fixated on meeting release dates, and squeezing in content, that proper testing falls through the cracks. However, this game is certainly not lonesome in that regard. Actually, there are very few developers around here that even know what proper testing is. Every week I run across releases that crash in places that any testing at all would have discovered. Oh, well.
AL is especially relevant here. You have answered your own questions. You did not like what happened and neither did I. I and many others (possibly even you) voiced our disappointment with the story turn. We all moved on. What was left were the people who liked the twist and new players that never had the chance to bond with the characters like I (possible you) did. It became one of the highest rated stories on this site. It would not have been as highly rated if a poll was taken right after the fire update, but it got the reputation of being this great story that everyone loved. So much so that another developer stole the idea of asking MC to choose which of two LI's should live and which to let die. We both know that AL is not universally loved. My point in continuing to comment is not to dissuade people from playing. It's to point out to developers that this game (which may at one time been universally loved) is not regarded highly by everyone and that any developer thinking of using a similar plot twist in their own story might want to think again. They should at least check out the comments after the August update. They might also keep in mind that while this game is rated highly, the positive ratings get a few likes while my negative rating got twenty likes.

It seems that crashes happen more in the beta releases. There are no beta releases here. Ptolemy is a very experienced developer, it seems that crashes happen more frequently with newer developers.

Side Note: I dislike BADiK as well. Humor is juvenile on par with a Revenge of the Nerds 4 (I think there is a reason why frat movies in general have disappeared.) Characters are unlikable. Almost every one of them is in a relationship and none of them are faithful. Etc., etc. I've discussed this all before. Too many issues to go into, I stopped playing a long time ago.

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
Right! They could have left Klaus out and developed a completely different drama, perhaps one as suggested by ptahn. Or they could have left all the drama out, and explored different combinations of participants, and everything would have been all rainbows and unicorns. But they did neither of those things, and instead propelled us down the path we have now. <Shrug.> Either way, I could have still supported the game, provided that the narrative remained good. But they chose this path, and I'm all in with what we have. I can hardly wait to see how everything is resolved. In fact, this is one of those games I might continue playing if the sex stopped completely. There are a few of them. After all, we've seen the ultimate - sex between Haley and the MC. After that, there are still a few more things I'd like to see when it comes to sex scenes. But now... the plot's the thing!
If you're on the Haley-only path, there hasn't really been a plot since August.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
My point in continuing to comment is not to dissuade people from playing. It's to point out to developers that this game (which may at one time been universally loved) is not regarded highly by everyone and that any developer thinking of using a similar plot twist in their own story might want to think again. They should at least check out the comments after the August update. They might also keep in mind that while this game is rated highly, the positive ratings get a few likes while my negative rating got twenty likes.
Do you honestly believe that developers will reconsider a game that they have thought out, just because some people might not like it? I think they have probably already taken that into consideration. I am positive that DrPinkCake was well aware of the shitstorm he was about to unleash. He did it anyway, and despite your lack of support, he is thriving.

So, what is HIS lesson to be learned?

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
AL is especially relevant here. You have answered your own questions. You did not like what happened and neither did I. I and many others (possibly even you) voiced our disappointment with the story turn. We all moved on. What was left were the people who liked the twist and new players that never had the chance to bond with the characters like I (possible you) did.
Acting Lessons works so well precisely because it does that. The formular is essentially five steps:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Take that moment away and Acting Lesson is a completely different novel.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
Do you honestly believe that developers will reconsider a game that they have thought out, just because some people might not like it? I think they have probably already taken that into consideration. I am positive that DrPinkCake was well aware of the shitstorm he was about to unleash. He did it anyway, and despite your lack of support, he is thriving.

So, what is HIS lesson to be learned?
It's not his lesson, it's the lesson to other developers. In the story I mentioned, the developer seemed honestly shocked by the negative comments he received. When I brought up his theft of DPC's plot twist, he went on and on about how highly rated AL was and how successful DPC was. He said that he was not in DPC's league. In his case, this developer used the plot device because he thought people would like it since they all liked it so well in AL.

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
If you're on the Haley-only path, there hasn't really been a plot since August.
That is only because of your dislike of the game.

The plot that has developed since then, on both routes, is how to get Haley to come to grips with what has happened to her, and put it behind her. In the Haley-only path, there is also the quandary of how the MC and Haley can stay together. In the Sandra path, that appears to be heading towards a 'Sandra as beard' resolution. But in the Haley only path, no such resolution is apparent, although another 'beard' may be the answer... or not.

Regardless, that is plot development. You dismiss it, because you are now prejudiced against the game. That does not mean that the plot doesn't exist.

ptahn

Jun 23, 2018
That is only because of your dislike of the game.

The plot that has developed since then, on both routes, is how to get Haley to come to grips with what has happened to her, and put it behind her. In the Haley-only path, there is also the quandary of how the MC and Haley can stay together. In the Sandra path, that appears to be heading towards a 'Sandra as beard' resolution. But in the Haley only path, no such resolution is apparent, although another 'beard' may be the answer... or not.

Regardless, that is plot development. You dismiss it, because you are now prejudiced against the game. That does not mean that the plot doesn't exist.
In the Haley-only route, there has been no movement in her coming to grips with what happened to her. She went a therapist once and did not discuss the topic. She once admitted to MC that Klaus hurt her. There has been no real discussion about how they stay together, only the parents trying to pull them apart. Not a lot of content for seven updates. More happens in one of WVM's weekly updates. I'm not prejudiced against the game, my hope is that it can return to its former glory. It seems less and less likely and more likely it's going to end with a whimper.

4.20 star(s) 302 Votes