Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
whats really new with this update? i know the changelog said animations but theres just a batheing scenei was execting more
Couldn't tell ya yet as I'm now speed running the previous content after finally getting the mod ported over on top of all these changes made to the prior content. I'll be on Ep6 soon but I have to check integrity of the initial port first... which is rather tedious.

• Red Heart
Reactions: sava75

LionHeart 95

Aug 30, 2020
It's beyond that. He's changed the names of all the files... again, and changed the file/folder structure... again, etc. I'm flabbergasted at this point. There's no baseline to work with since each update it's like analyzing/playing a completely different VN... because it (structurally) basically is.

The 3 ultimate sins of a RenPy VN (imho):
  • change the fundamental platform language version in the middle of a project
  • renaming/reintroducing files, labels, variables, and/or functions
  • not having a proper storyboard/project gameplan BEFORE starting the project
All three of the above seem to be a recent phenomena of many of the devs I've worked. It's as if they completely forgot (or never understood the ramifications of) the fundamentals of any coding project. Usually it's always under the guise of " this will help me stay organized and focused on progression and efficiencies " but it never does, it all means nothing but aggravation and wasted time for all involved, including the end user (which is the absolute worst outcome of a retail product).

/end rant... I need the day's first cup of coffee.
love your work has allowed many games to be fun on replays or if I have gotten lost in the game somehow.

I have yet to play this particular VN. but I don’t agree with your 3 sins.

they may not be true to one who wants their art played as written not as "can be altered to"

Mods allow the player to overcome obstacles that the dev put in to either steer the player or make the player work for the reward, a mod removes all those problems and alters game play.

When my children were young I tell them they could only use a cheat code after playing that game/level without cheating first. The two of them became better, faster at games because of this. and a life lesson was learned. life does not have a cheat code. you must work for what you want how hard you work depends on your strength and knowledge if its hard learn why and overcome that problem, it will be easy next time because you learned how. yea sure its a game but is it? Play as you live.
play hard you only live once.

joryh

Nov 8, 2021
literally less then 1% of the population is anything other than japanese, so its not as numerous as you're trying to make it out to be. He has a fair criticism. It could have been set literally anywhere else.
Make me laugh. You guys ever watch anime, read manga? Tell me all those pale skinned, NOT black-haired, and round-eyed chars are Japanese. Go on. Tell me.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
love your work has allowed many games to be fun on replays or if I have gotten lost in the game somehow.

I have yet to play this particular VN. but I don’t agree with your 3 sins.

they may not be true to one who wants their art played as written not as "can be altered to"

Mods allow the player to overcome obstacles that the dev put in to either steer the player or make the player work for the reward, a mod removes all those problems and alters game play.

When my children were young I tell them they could only use a cheat code after playing that game/level without cheating first. The two of them became better, faster at games because of this. and a life lesson was learned. life does not have a cheat code. you must work for what you want how hard you work depends on your strength and knowledge if its hard learn why and overcome that problem, it will be easy next time because you learned how. yea sure its a game but is it? Play as you live.
play hard you only live once.
Bud, those three listed sins have nothing to do with me, the mod, cheating, etc. They have to do with progression and stability of the plain (unmodified) product. How many times do you want to restart this VN? How many times do you want to have multiple playthroughs while saving each as a separate progression only to find out in the next update all that was for not... since they don't function? You're missing the point I rekcon.

Computergod67

Oct 9, 2018
Anybody have an idea what's going on here? happened in the last version as well, i assume it's a me issue since no one else has posted about it. Any help appreciated

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 2152, in execute
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 2159, in execute
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 2159, in <module>
AttributeError: 'Preferences' object has no attribute 'show_notify'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scripts/ep05/ep05.rpyc", line 1570, in script
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1678, in execute
    renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired=paired)
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1757, in with_statement
    return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2975, in do_with
    return self.interact(trans_pause=True,
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3579, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 4052, in interact_core
    root_widget.visit_all(lambda d : d.per_interact())
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 681, in visit_all
    d.visit_all(callback, seen)
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 681, in visit_all
  [Previous line repeated 1 more time]
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 476, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 4052, in <lambda>
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 487, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 680, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)

Windows-10-10.0.22621 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.1.23060707
Hard to Love 0.061
Sat Jul 22 08:08:30 2023

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Qori, are you sure you don't have these character traits reversed?

Python:
$ character_data.update_character_attribute("Isabella", "forgiveness", True)
$ renpy.notify("You've upset Isabella and she may need some space.")
Seems to me if "Forgiveness" is set to True then... one has forgiveness. Of course these all are defaulted to False so there's no harm here... but it sure could get confusing later.

Reactions: Lumi24

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Anybody have an idea what's going on here? happened in the last version as well, i assume it's a me issue since no one else has posted about it. Any help appreciated

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "scripts/ep05/ep05.rpyc", line 1570, in script
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\ast.py", line 1678, in execute
    renpy.exports.with_statement(trans, paired=paired)
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\exports.py", line 1757, in with_statement
    return renpy.game.interface.do_with(trans, paired, clear=clear)
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 2975, in do_with
    return self.interact(trans_pause=True,
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 3579, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 4052, in interact_core
  [Previous line repeated 1 more time]
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 476, in visit_all
    callback(self)
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\core.py", line 4052, in <lambda>
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 487, in per_interact
    self.update()
  File "D:\Novels\HardtoLove-0.061-pc\renpy\display\screen.py", line 680, in update
    self.screen.function(**self.scope)

Windows-10-10.0.22621 AMD64
Ren'Py 8.1.1.23060707
Hard to Love 0.061
Sat Jul 22 08:08:30 2023
You have a fucked up install or are attempting to load an old save.

There is no "Preferences" object but there is a "preferences" object (note the capitalization).

The RenPy version was updated by the dev as well as a complete file restructuring and file renaming... so you MUST start with a new game.

Otherwise the attribute is set correctly in the scripts as the VN is loading:

default preferences.show_notify = False

The only "Preferences" in the entire VN is simply the text of the button (which is an attribute, not an object) used to show that particular screen. Something on your end is borked for sure.

Computergod67

Oct 9, 2018
You have a fucked up install or are attempting to load an old save.

There is no "Preferences" object but there is a "preferences" object (note the capitalization).

The RenPy version was updated by the dev as well as a complete file restructuring and file renaming... so you MUST start with a new game.

Otherwise the attribute is set correctly in the scripts as the VN is loading:

default preferences.show_notify = False

The only "Preferences" in the entire VN is simply the text of the button (which is an attribute, not an object) used to show that particular screen. Something on your end is borked for sure.
I tried a brand new install and old it always happens when you have to make a choice with Elizabeth to Supress Lust or Indulge lust either choice brings up this error.. I appreciate your response though guess i'm left not playing.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I tried a brand new install and old it always happens when you have to make a choice with Elizabeth to Supress Lust or Indulge lust either choice brings up this error.. I appreciate your response though guess i'm left not playing.
No, you're not left hanging... I'll do what I can to assist you bud. Does this exception occur right at the menu choice, before it, or after it (if placing pics in the response please use thumbnails or enclose them in a soiler tag). I need more info to isolate your particular issue.

Since we all have to start from a new playthrough anyway, follow these first steps to insure that we're on the same page:
  • Within a clean installation of the VN (no shenanigans, no hackery) proceed with the following:
  • In both the "/game/saves" folder and in your "(user name)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/HardtoLove-052023" folder delete the "persistent" file (it has no suffix). No harm will be done, none of the previously saved VN settings matter as all your old saves are garbage now anyway, trust me on this.
  • While you're in those folders delete any save file that starts with "_reload-xxxxxx" as well (in both folders).
  • Fire up the VN, start a new game, and progress until where you found your issue previously.
Do that and reply back to this post or otherwise tag me and we'll figure it out bud. Regards.

Computergod67

Oct 9, 2018
No, you're not left hanging... I'll do what I can to assist you bud. Does this exception occur right at the menu choice, before it, or after it (if placing pics in the response please use thumbnails or enclose them in a soiler tag). I need more info to isolate your particular issue.

Since we all have to start from a new playthrough anyway, follow these first steps to insure that we're on the same page:
  • Within a clean installation of the VN (no shenanigans, no hackery) proceed with the following:
  • In both the "/game/saves" folder and in your "(user name)/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/HardtoLove-052023" folder delete the "persistent" file (it has no suffix). No harm will be done, none of the previously saved VN settings matter as all your old saves are garbage now anyway, trust me on this.
  • While you're in those folders delete any save file that starts with "_reload-xxxxxx" as well (in both folders).
  • Fire up the VN, start a new game, and progress until where you found your issue previously.
Do that and reply back to this post or otherwise tag me and we'll figure it out bud. Regards.
Thanks for the help! i deleted both persistent files and that did the trick. Really appreciate the help.

Reactions: Sancho1969

xKalin

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2023

I got the same error, reinstalling the game helped. I have suspicions that this is due to unpacking .rpa archives or turning on the console, since I haven't changed anything else. In any case, thank you, you helped me personally!

Reactions: Sancho1969

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Something wicked this way comes....

SanchoMod proudly presents:
Hard To Love - MultiMod Edition (Season 2 v0.061 - Episode 6 Part 1 - Update)
HTL_SM_Cover.jpg
Go get you some.
( Simply click on the banner image above )
HTL SM B03a1.jpg HTL SM B03a2.jpg
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
IMPORTANT: A new playthrough (restart) is required. The dev changed the RenPy version, renamed all the files, and created a completely different file structure. Not my fault, you'd have to restart even if you never used a mod in your life.

Please enjoy. Mod core is updated to the latest v7b with even more features. I hope you find at least one feature beneficial to your experience. Remember absolutely everything can be toggled on/off as desired and on the fly. Complete information and exhaustive previews can be found on the mod's thread (simply click the banner above).

Regards and be well,
- Sancho

Love ya Yukana, you're certainly keeping me on my toes young lady.

Last edited:

Æ_17

Mar 15, 2022
View attachment 2199418

Overview:
Near-death experience usually forces many people to reminisce about their past, bright and happy memories. So does MC, reliving his most brilliant memory - his first love. And with old wounds still open and new yet to heal, Main Character is forced to go back to his parental house and his old dysfunctional family. Being stuck there, fighting demons of past and present, he wonders about love. Why did the girl he loved abandon him and their love child? Has she ever loved him? Is she alive and still remembers him? Should he move on and try to establish something new with someone else? Maybe with a woman he always looked up to? Or with his partners or friends? Someone else entirely? Or should he focus the rest of his life on raising his daughter right? Follow the MC on his paths of uncovering truths and fixing mistakes as he tries to sort out his love life and protect his daughter in Hard to Love.​

Thread Updated: 2023-07-22
Release Date: 2023-06-28
Developer: Qori Gaming - - - - -
Censored: No
Version: 0.061
Language: English
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

Due to the changes and updates in Ren'Py, there might be errors when loading savegames.
If that happens, please use the automatic savegames, which seem to be unaffected by this issue.

DOWNLOAD
SEASON 2

Win/Linux: - - - WORKUPLOAD
Mac: - - - PIXELDRAIN - WORKUPLOAD

SEASON 1
Win/Linux
: - MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN - - WORKUPLOAD
Mac: - MEGA - - PIXELDRAIN - WORKUPLOAD

Patches: (Season 2) - (Season 1)
Extras: WT Mod - Fan Sigs - Multi mod

View attachment 1879231 View attachment 1879180 View attachment 1879214 View attachment 1879183 View attachment 1879210 View attachment 1879197 View attachment 1879189 View attachment 1879228 View attachment 2600877 View attachment 2600876 View attachment 2600865 View attachment 2600867 View attachment 2600874 View attachment 2600872 View attachment 2600866 View attachment 2600864 View attachment 2600868 View attachment 2600870 View attachment 2600871
Does this new ren'py update affect that I can't run it in joiplay?

Reactions: The game master
3.80 star(s) 120 Votes