Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
Awesome, another remaster :ROFLMAO:
I don't get why so many people feel the need to start over after only a few chapters. Unless it's some really grainy shit 90% of the people don't care for that kind of stuff.

• Angry
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: NeimadFR and DA22

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Awesome, another remaster :ROFLMAO:
I don't get why so many people feel the need to start over after only a few chapters. Unless it's some really grainy shit 90% of the people don't care for that kind of stuff.
It might surprise you that some devs actually care about their games, and want to make them the best they can and be proud of their work. New devs don't typically start with years of experience and state of the art equipment.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Only out for a year, 450 dollars on patreon, but 20 000 posts in this thread :unsure:
This is one of the games that sort of has its own fan club, most of the posts are from the same 5-10 users. The mods actually forced them to make an OT thread and then Notty created a forum on her website for them to post on.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Nottravis , you managed to transform a great game into an even greater one (y):love:

This said, few remarks :

It could possibly be interesting for you to have a variable for the formal calling of the MC. Something like :
Python:
label charselectwf:
    $ gender = "female"
    $ mcformal = "Ma'am"  # <-
    [...]

label charselectbf:
    $ gender = "female"
    $ mcformal = "Ma'am"  # <-
    [...]

label charselectwm:
    $ gender = "male"
    $ mcformal = "Sir"  # <-
    [...]

label charselectbm:
    $ gender = "male"
    $ mcformal = "Sir"  # <-
    [...]
It would permit you to replace the :
Code:
    if gender == "male":
        s "Sir. Sorry Sir."
    else:
        s "Ma'am. Sorry Ma'am."
by a simplier :
Code:
        s "[mcformal]. Sorry [mcformal]."
Less time past to code, more to do what please you more, write.

Also, you changed your mind mid chapter one about the flags you use. Therefore, you've some
variable set at "True", then later tested for True. It's by example the case for sarahevent3 :
  • line 368 $ sarahevent3 = "True"
  • line 374 $ sarahevent3 = "True"
  • line 733 $ sarahevent30 = "True"
  • line 1310 if sarahevent3 == "True":
  • line 2250 if sarahevent3 == "True":
  • line 2943 if sarahevent3 == "True":
  • line 3308 if sarahevent3 == True:
  • line 3661 if sarahevent3 == True:
  • line 3687 if sarahevent3 == True:
  • line 3709 if sarahevent3 == True:

It can easily be caught-up in the "after_load" label :
Python:
label after_load:
    # It it's not a direct boolean value
    if not isinstance( "sarahevent3", bool ):
        # Make it a boolean value according to the actual string value.
        $ sarahevent3 = True if sarahevent3 == "True" else False
Or, depending of what you prefer :
Python:
label after_load:
    # It it's a direct boolean value
    if isinstance( "sarahevent3", bool ):
        # Make it a string value according to the actual boolean value.
        $ sarahevent3 = "True" if sarahevent3 is True else "False"
But obviously you'll have to do this for each variable that face the same problem.
Then, the save files will be consistent with the corrected code.

And also, you don't need to repeat your code when you have to deal with Kelly on screen. Labels like "crisisbk" and "crisiswk" can be a single label.
Firstly you define a variable to define the skin color of Kelly, according to the MC's one :
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Then you unify the "crisisbk" and "crisiswk" labels :
Python:
label crisisk:
      scene expression "crisismsg3" + kellyis
      k "Roger that, {i}Heavy Five{/i}. Clearance acknowledged."
      play sound "sound/static.mp3"
      pause (0.1)
      scene expression "crisismsg4" + kellyis
      pause (.1)
      scene expression "crisismsg2" + kellyis
      [...]
Ren'py will correctly use "crisismsg3b" is Kelly is black, and "crisismsg3" else.
Once again, it will made the coding part faster, and let you more time to write us some beautiful things.

And a deception Chris don't want do dominate the female me :cry:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Not as of this chapter perhaps, but something tells me that it could change very soon. ;)
I hope so, and in fact I'm almost sure about it.
It's just Nottravis being put to her story and showing (for those who still doubt) that she really care about her game. If the female MC would have been able to use the pressure suit, then Annie could have done it also, and would have been more qualified for it. Therefore, Chris wouldn't have had this opportunity anyway.

Lotex

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
It might surprise you that some devs actually care about their games, and want to make them the best they can and be proud of their work. New devs don't typically start with years of experience and state of the art equipment.
It might surprise you, but that doesn't surprise me at all, but too much cooking can spoil the food and too much tinkering can spoil a game, the best example is the Dr. Amana game for me. The art style is really good, the story seems promising and despite the setbacks the dev had to overcome I almost completely lost interest because there is just pretty much no progress at all, only updates with UI improvements and such things and ocassionally a small scene, but mostly reworks from the beginning and it seems like this game is off to the same road with a few months of nothing and now a rework from beginning. It's possible that I'm too negative here, but if it was me I'd leave the start as it is and improve the game as it goes on. And without offense I'd say the game is way not popular enough to justify too much downtime between updates that actually continue something.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: DA22

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
It might surprise you, but that doesn't surprise me at all, but too much cooking can spoil the food and too much tinkering can spoil a game, the best example is the Dr. Amana game for me. The art style is really good, the story seems promising and despite the setbacks the dev had to overcome I almost completely lost interest because there is just pretty much no progress at all, only updates with UI improvements and such things and ocassionally a small scene, but mostly reworks from the beginning and it seems like this game is off to the same road with a few months of nothing and now a rework from beginning. It's possible that I'm too negative here, but if it was me I'd leave the start as it is and improve the game as it goes on. And without offense I'd say the game is way not popular enough to justify too much downtime between updates that actually continue something.
Let's put it that way, imagine you build a house, imagine you realize a third of the way through it you could have done a much better job, would you build the rest of the house on sub par foundations or would you want it to be the best it can be and start over despite the inconvenience ?

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
there is just pretty much no progress at all, only updates with UI improvements and such things and ocassionally a small scene, but mostly reworks from the beginning and it seems like this game is off to the same road with a few months of nothing and now a rework from beginning. It's possible that I'm too negative here, but if it was me I'd leave the start as it is and improve the game as it goes on. And without offense I'd say the game is way not popular enough to justify too much downtime between updates that actually continue something.
Those few months of nothing have been filled with a ton of unenjoyable work improving almost all aspects of the game (mostly visuals, but also new features and content). Most of the groundwork (like setting and testing all the planned locations in the entire game for example) is done and the production should pick up the pace.

If you want some insight on what has been going on, there is a lengthy about it.

I understand your skepticism though, so perhaps check when the next Chapter is released (which by the way will be twice as big content-wise as the original thanks to better hardware, and much better looking) and see for yourself if it's reasonable. :)

Bobber Tail

Nov 28, 2017
Keep getting Virus issues. Of course anyone would deny planting a virus and blame USER (Programming 101: Blame User, Ignore Fault) but odds state even if wrong most of the time it is like a condom, 2% is still a bunch of babies.
It immediately killed Ch 3 DL, now it got something in Ch 1. It may be wrong, but with thousands of games not having this issue, I lean to wary.

H5-virus.png

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
Keep getting Virus issues. Of course anyone would deny planting a virus and blame USER (Programming 101: Blame User, Ignore Fault) but odds state even if wrong most of the time it is like a condom, 2% is still a bunch of babies.
It immediately killed Ch 3 DL, now it got something in Ch 1. It may be wrong, but with thousands of games not having this issue, I lean to wary.

View attachment 504721
Must be a false positive. I've never had any issues of this kind with these, nor have I seen any reports of anyone else.

frap

Oct 17, 2018

View attachment 504721
I'm just curious about the file name. It should be HeavyFive-1RC-pc\HeavyFive.exe

Not really sure what that is there, unless someone bunged together an auto-unzip archive?

4.10 star(s) 64 Votes