Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
crabs? Navy or Royal Marines?

Fying the cpu wow. You don't have much luck when it comes to computers not breaking.
It was the repair I did back in March. Looking back at the live posts on my forum as I was fixing it, the clues were all there that I hadn't done it right.

Also tbh, I've been pushing it hard since then. Over 9,000 renders on a home fixed PC perhaps was asking for trouble. Whatever flaw I'd introduced in respect of the cooling paste obvs just got worse and worse over time until it just went.

Ultimately though it comes down to me not speccing up the rig enough at the start.

F1forhalp

SOTD: Wokain - Natural Enemy
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
for the heavy works it usually helps to have the case side open.. and blow through all the airflow openings while waifu operates the vacuum otherside.

Dreadder

Nov 9, 2017
Bugger. I'd better take that out now then.... ;)
Noooooo! I was looking forward to that. :( (And I'm only half joking here.)

By the way, would asking which branch you served with be asking too much? I'd put my money on the navy, if I'd have to make a wager, but I don't think you mentioned it before. :)

Reactions: Nottravis

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018
Open posts

TLDR.

I fried the CPU. It's repaired. No one is getting screwed over on pledges. I'm going to do Chapter Four releases in a different way as I'm tired of falling on my arse all the time.
I strongly suspect the real culprit is Jane sabotaging the PC because she feels strongly (and I don't disagree) that she deserves more screen time. :p

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I strongly suspect the real culprit is Jane sabotaging the PC because she feels strongly (and I don't disagree) that she deserves more screen time. :p
God damnit!

I gave her this update too!

for the heavy works it usually helps to have the case side open.. and blow through all the airflow openings while waifu operates the vacuum otherside.
I probs rushed it. I was that desperate to get up and running again....

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Noooooo! I was looking forward to that. :( (And I'm only half joking here.)

By the way, would asking which branch you served with be asking too much? I'd put my money on the navy, if I'd have to make a wager, but I don't think you mentioned it before. :)
Army. There's a pic of my cap badge lurking somewhere on here but I won't say more than that. :)

Dreadder

Nov 9, 2017
Yeah that's a great title. Now when we get space navies will they retire wet navies?
I see no reason for that. Wet navies "cover" more than 70 percent of surface on Earth and don't really share any jurisdiction or missions with space forces. I'd even prefer the term space forces to space navy myself in order to avoid confusion. :)

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
I see no reason for that. Wet navies "cover" more than 70 percent of surface on Earth and don't really share any jurisdiction or missions with space forces. I'd even prefer the term space forces to space navy myself in order to avoid confusion. :)
Agreed, I feel a space military would be more like the air force than the navy, I associate spaceships more with planes than with boats.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Agreed, I feel a space military would be more like the air force than the navy, I associate spaceships more with planes than with boats.
Oddly enough, the one missing gap in the whole plot/story/structure is the name of the space military. I just couldn't settle on anything that felt right and so have just skipped over anyone mentioning it.

There are vague references to "Command" etc but that's about it. It reminds me a little though of, well let's just say "another place" where units from various nations were brought together in a combined mix arms force and generally just given a temporary task force name. That would be used at a higher level but at a local level the units generally just referred to themselves as what they were previously.

Ofc, the military being the military the boys and girls have made their own suggestion and, indeed, even have the t-shirts made as could be seen in the "Annie" issue of Bored Pilot.

However, on to more pertinent matters. I'm looking to get the polished version to testers this weekend so a release date would be sometime next week by the looks. The testers have already seen huge chunks of the game so this is really just path and mechanism tests.

Pervie-Dan

May 1, 2017
Today, yes.

But once we get to bigger space ships, they would be more like boats. The big ship from where the crew takes off in game is more like a carrier. The Heavy-5 itself could either be a small patrol craft similar to a WW2 US PT Boat or German Schnellboot. Or it could be one of the bigger airplanes (which on earth obviously are not on carriers due to size). Having lockers, head and showers to me makes it more of a small patrol craft instead of a plane, but I can see the argument going just the other way, since toilets are nothing special on bigger planes.

Smaller space ships like fighters would most likely be like planes, so it would be a mixed setup of air force and navy.
If we look at for example the Battlestar Galactica universe, there I feel the Battlestar is like a Space Aircraft Carrier and the Viper is a space plane while the Raptor is a space helicopter.

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
Today, yes.

But once we get to bigger space ships, they would be more like boats. The big ship from where the crew takes off in game is more like a carrier. The Heavy-5 itself could either be a small patrol craft similar to a WW2 US PT Boat or German Schnellboot. Or it could be one of the bigger airplanes (which on earth obviously are not on carriers due to size). Having lockers, head and showers to me makes it more of a small patrol craft instead of a plane, but I can see the argument going just the other way, since toilets are nothing special on bigger planes.

Smaller space ships like fighters would most likely be like planes, so it would be a mixed setup of air force and navy.
If we look at for example the Battlestar Galactica universe, there I feel the Battlestar is like a Space Aircraft Carrier and the Viper is a space plane while the Raptor is a space helicopter.
It just occured to me that aircraft carriers are navy (and so are the planes on it) so it would actually make sense that spaceships would be navy as well

Akamari

Forum Fanatic
Donor
May 28, 2017
It just occured to me that aircraft carriers are navy (and so are the planes on it) so it would actually make sense that spaceships would be navy as well
Well...;)
1601469957794.png
The thing is there really isn't a tradition for an air force to have carriers, as the airborne aircraft carriers concept never went beyond project phase.

Interestingly though, the US Navy did briefly have such carriers in 1930s. Two airships briefly had small complements of parasitic fighters. It wasn't a success however, and both crashed just two years into service.

I think if we're lucky enough to one day live to see a united earth space military branch, it will be its own thing, but the origins will most likely be with air forces. I wouldn't underestimate the power of sci-fi fans though. :D

Last edited:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
*nods sagely*

Yep, so the Intrepid becomes the Galactica, the Vanguard is a multi-role mix of Viper and Raptor but with longer distance capabilities. Your patrol craft analogy works rather well.

Reactions: TheDevian
4.10 star(s) 64 Votes